PDA

View Full Version : FitBit Users MEGA THREAD, Discuss tips, tricks, achievements and competitions here.

ExtraSlow
10-25-2016, 12:35 PM
So, we have the "what activity monitor to buy" thread, but nothing for those folks who are out there fitbittin' up a storm. Thought it might be nice for those of us who are using these to have one place to chat.

One of the benefits of being underemployed these days is that I'm getting a lot of steps in. Decided to go for stairs yesterday. Got myself 229 flights. Was a little cheesed to find out that after getting new achievements every 25 flights, after 200, the next one is 300.
Did decide that when going for flights, you need a "Goldilocks" kind of route. too steep and you'll get tired way too early. I ended up doing two different approaches to nose hill. One from the Rona on Edmonton trail, which is a good hike. Another from the bottom of the 14th street hill at Northmount Drive. I think that one is more efficient.

I do use it to track weight, as I have been working on shedding a few pounds over the last six months. Down 17 pounds.

My badges:
Castle (200 floors in a day)
Trail Shoe: 30,000 steps in a day (multiple times)
Italy (1184 lifetime KMs)
Hot Air balloon (2000 lifetime floors)

Who else is loving the fitbit life?

ExtraSlow
10-26-2016, 07:47 PM
I see I have tapped into a huge demand for this topic....

shakalaka
10-26-2016, 08:20 PM
lol

I haven't worn mine in a long time, don't even know where it is. I did like being able to add friends so you could try to outdo each other etc. Now that I have the Apple watch it does all that but I don't even wear that.

If you guys start adding each other thing to see how others are doing and motivate yourselves then I may be able to find my fitbit and start using it again. lol

ExtraSlow
10-26-2016, 08:36 PM
I got added into a group of chicks who had a pretty constant rotation of challenges every week. My goal was to beat them often enough, and by a large enough margin that they would stop inviting me. I achieved my goal, haven't heard from them for a while.

In my current workweek challenge with some buddies, since I'm "underemployed" I spent nearly the entire day monday walking around. Logged 33,000 steps that day, which was enough to annoy all my friends who are working desk jobs.

I actually just like to piss people off. That's probably not a healthy attitude . . . but healthy in it's own way, ya know?

shakalaka
10-26-2016, 08:47 PM
Okay yea I can see why I wouldn't like you on my friend list. You'd just constantly make me feel like shit for the lack of activity compared to yours. :rofl:

ExtraSlow
11-07-2016, 12:55 PM
So I measured it one day, and this is what I think is my best "not too steep" hill climbing route
Starting from the little ceasars parking lot on Northmount drive and Cambrian drive, walk stright up 14th street until you are adjacent to the nose hill parking lot. It's only 1665 steps and 24 minutes, but it gains you 32 floors. It's nice that it's not super steep, so you don't get winded or anything. It's also fully streetlit, so if you like to walk at night, this is a decent option.

You can gain more floors by getting to the west side of the road and climbing up into nose hill park, but I think if you were doing multiple laps, that would be less efficient. Nice walk on a warm day though.

I've been thinking that I should park a couple of bikes in that parking lot, and then use them to ride down to the bottom of the hill so I can save time and get more floors in a day. Trying to talk a couple buddies into a stair climbing challenge day.

Anyone have a favourite hills for walking? I have a couple days in the mountains planned too, so stuff around banff or canmore would work.

diamondedge
11-07-2016, 01:08 PM
I got one of these for my pops for father's day this year. He regularly passes 20,000 but out in the burb's we don't have hills...

For hills, I like 10th Street NW, between Cambrian Drive and 40th Ave, square off the loop down 40th past the 7-11 if you want and hoof it back up 4th Street :)

cet
11-07-2016, 01:19 PM
I think we had a thread here a while back. I added a couple of beyoneders but I think they've all dropped off.

I'm using mine more for tracking calories and heart rate at the moment than just pure step accumulation.

mr2mike
11-10-2016, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I got added into a group of chicks who had a pretty constant rotation of challenges every week.
Pics of these "chicks".
Mostly, after pics through. Pre-fit bit I don't wanna see.

It's for research. See if fitbit is working.

ExtraSlow
11-10-2016, 11:45 AM
I've done that research sir. A couple of them are skinny, but none of them are hot.

ExtraSlow
02-01-2017, 11:27 AM
Anyone have tips for replacement or repair of the band on a charge HR model? Seems to be a common issue, sucks to have to buy a brand new fitbit for a costmetic issue with the band.

schocker
02-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Anyone have tips for replacement or repair of the band on a charge HR model? Seems to be a common issue, sucks to have to buy a brand new fitbit for a costmetic issue with the band.
What you do is buy a Charge 2 from what I have seen.
I have the gear fit 2 and it has a replaceable band......but the bands can not be bought through any store or even samsung themselves so I am looking at a charge 2 now :nut:

killramos
02-01-2017, 11:36 AM

Yea my solution was to buy my wife an apple watch.

Problem solved.

Everyone I know with a charge HR has broken it at some point, seems like fitbit has gone way downhill in quality. Actually i think everyone in know with a fitbit in general has had it break at least once, i think they are usually good about replacing them though which gives you an idea of their margins on the hardware...

ExtraSlow
03-29-2017, 09:25 PM
Anyone have tips for replacement or repair of the band on a charge HR model? Seems to be a common issue, sucks to have to buy a brand new fitbit for a costmetic issue with the band. Update on this Fitbit is really good with warranty. Just do an online chat with them, they'll use your account data to verify your device info, and send you a brand new device free of charge. Got new ones for both my wife and myself this way.
Wifes was "device only" and shipped in an envelope. Mine came in full retail packaging and was shipped courier.

Very happy with that service. Currently setting up the new device. Will probably keep the old one around and use it for camping or other occasions where I'm more likely to damage it. No risk now.

ExtraSlow
03-29-2017, 09:30 PM
Just a small update, you can't have two of the same device on the same account. So I can't have two Charge HR linked at the same time. Oh well, no biggie.

The_Penguin
03-29-2017, 09:31 PM
My boss has a Charge HR and his strap started coming apart. He called and they shipped him a new one. Kept the old one, glued it and gave it to a family member. Decent service.

I drowned my Charge HR in the Sea of Cortez, so now I have the Charge 2.

spike98
03-30-2017, 08:02 AM
My Charge 2 band started coming apart on the weekend and i returned it for a full refund to sport chek after 73 days. The product has some quirks and the quality is a bit lacking but the customer support is spot on!

Unfortunately i have lost interest in it and find there is no noticeable improvement to my fitness journey. Im going to give android wear a shot instead.

ExtraSlow
03-30-2017, 09:45 AM
I really need those challenges with my bros to stay motivated. If any of the beyond crew want to do challenges with me, send me a PM.

shakalaka
03-30-2017, 12:43 PM
This thread made me want to get into it again so I just picked up a Fitbit Charge 2. Hopefully it'll help me get back on track and stay motivated this time.

For those with issues and end up getting replacements, did you guys need your receipts? I picked mine up from Kijiji so no receipt but the quality control issues are a bit troublesome.

Brent.ff
03-30-2017, 01:04 PM
Shak, when my band broke I just emailed them and they dealt with it. May be strange if your email doesn't match the original if it was previously used, but if not you should be ok.

I actually fixed mine up with a new band (I sold the replacement they sent)and have been using it again pretty often.

Badges:
35,000 step day
India (3213 km)
Rainbow (700 stories)
Shooting Star (20,000 floors)
Trail shoe (30,000) - 5 times

I don't trust the floors as it's done by pressure. With our winds here, I get lots and lots of phantom floors while working. I avg ~15k a day, 90k the last 7 days

shakalaka
03-30-2017, 02:53 PM
I guess we will see down the line if it breaks. But since these bands are replaceable I can always buy a new band and change it easily I suppose as long as the unit itself doesn't get damaged.

That's a lot of steps, 35K wow. I remember when I was super into it the maximum I had was close to 30K once and it was on a trip somewhere so we were walking a lot.

I don't get those weird country name adventures and what not yet as I haven't had a chance to look into it all and it wasn't around when I first used the Fitbit app.

ExtraSlow
03-30-2017, 08:02 PM
Did not require a receipt but I bought them brand new, and the customer service rep I was chatting with did ask about the store I bought them from, and could see that the device was inside the warranty period.
If you bought them used, I don't know how that works, but it's always worth a shot on the online chat. It's no hassle. Maybe just claim you don't know what store you bought them from, or that they were a gift?

shakalaka
03-30-2017, 09:55 PM
They are brand new just from a Kijiji person that got them as a gift. Anyway, it's not like there is anything wrong with it right now, I was more just curious than anything else. Anyway, does anyone wanna add other users so there is some motivation seeing other people's steps etc?

ExtraSlow
03-31-2017, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
They are brand new just from a Kijiji person that got them as a gift. Anyway, it's not like there is anything wrong with it right now, I was more just curious than anything else. Anyway, does anyone wanna add other users so there is some motivation seeing other people's steps etc? PM me.

shakalaka
03-31-2017, 10:50 AM
PM me.

has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

ExtraSlow
03-31-2017, 12:31 PM
This forum is falling apart. I'm wide open for PM's. Have actually received some today.

ExtraSlow
12-19-2017, 10:24 PM
Update on this Fitbit is really good with warranty. Just do an online chat with them, they'll use your account data to verify your device info, and send you a brand new device free of charge. Got new ones for both my wife and myself this way.
Wifes was "device only" and shipped in an envelope. Mine came in full retail packaging and was shipped courier.

Very happy with that service. Currently setting up the new device. Will probably keep the old one around and use it for camping or other occasions where I'm more likely to damage it. No risk now.

So i got a replacement for the Charge HR in March, and the replacement has the band falling apart now. Catches on my shirt and coat sleeves. Fitbit doesn't give you a replacement on the replacement, but they did give me a 25% discount on regular priced items in their store. Ordered a new Alta HR. Still have two ugly but operational Charge HR's that I can use as well. Overall, warranty process with fitbit has been flawless. The Charge HR is discontinued because it had durability issues, lol.

ExtraSlow
01-15-2018, 12:47 PM
Enjoying the Alta HR, although it's annoying to shut off the alarm since it doesn't have physical button to do that. End up slapping the face of the thing like some kind of retard.

Not sure if it's a fluke, but I get the advanced sleep stats now too. Fun to look at but does anyone know if there is a target for each sleep zone or a range that indicates "good" sleep quality? I'm sure fitbit's quality of tracking this stuff is questionable, but like everything else, a directional indication of how you are doing seems helpful.

Here's one that's not too bad from me. I often have more time awake.

s_havinga
01-15-2018, 02:59 PM
So i got a replacement for the Charge HR in March, and the replacement has the band falling apart now. Catches on my shirt and coat sleeves. Fitbit doesn't give you a replacement on the replacement, but they did give me a 25% discount on regular priced items in their store. Ordered a new Alta HR. Still have two ugly but operational Charge HR's that I can use as well. Overall, warranty process with fitbit has been flawless. The Charge HR is discontinued because it had durability issues, lol.

Didn't ready the whole thread but new bands can be had on amazon for $17 takes under 10 minutes to change. Pro Tip: keep the clasp from the original- the pins in the knock offs seem to fail

ExtraSlow
01-15-2018, 03:30 PM
You talking about new bands for the Alta HR? That's good to know. The Charge HR did not have a removable band. Bad design.

s_havinga
01-15-2018, 03:49 PM
No, the Charge HR. Fitbit say's they are not replaceable but they are - very easily. I have done it twice now

Brent.ff
01-15-2018, 03:54 PM
No, the Charge HR. Fitbit say's they are not replaceable but they are - very easily. I have done it twice now

I replaced mine (had to buy a stupid Torx5 or whatever miniscule thing that was), and it broke within 2 weeks again..i gave up on the Charge HR after that.

ExtraSlow
01-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Hmmmm, interesting. I've got four of them in my house.

Brent.ff
01-15-2018, 04:00 PM
Hmmmm, interesting. I've got four of them in my house.

Ah yes the world of Fitbits. I think i have 3 of the computer bits of the Charge 2 before i finally had one that they sent me as a replacement that works (the one i sold you)...so glad im out!

ExtraSlow
06-21-2018, 06:38 AM
Anyone using the sleep insights? I seem to get a lot less deep sleep than it says is average. I'm around 9%. I know these things aren't medical devices, but that's not ideal.

ExtraSlow
10-27-2018, 08:31 AM
Anyone need a new band for an Alta or Alta HR? I bought a 10-pack and won't need them all. Free for reputable beyond members.

speedog
10-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Anyone need a new band for an Alta or Alta HR? I bought a 10-pack and won't need them all. Free for reputable beyond members.

See, those rep points do mean something.

lasimmon
10-27-2018, 01:15 PM
Anyone have any tips with the Versa? My wife wants one for her birthday.

adam c
10-27-2018, 02:18 PM
are the devices any better now? I had one of the original ones and it was garbage, would say I walked like 900 steps driving to work, had everything on the lowest sensitivity and finally gave up

ExtraSlow
10-28-2018, 06:37 PM
Well, they aren't creating an audit trail. They are directionally accurate over a full day, but at some times they over or under count your steps.

If you want good accuracy, get one with GPS and it'll be very accurate for distance travelled.

I got my Nike babe today. 6649 total kilometres.

shakalaka
10-28-2018, 07:40 PM
I stopped wearing the Fitbit a long time ago and started wearing the Motiv ring. I find it much better than the band and less intrusive and I just wear it instead of the wedding ring.

https://mymotiv.com

Brent.ff
10-28-2018, 08:38 PM
are the devices any better now? I had one of the original ones and it was garbage, would say I walked like 900 steps driving to work, had everything on the lowest sensitivity and finally gave up

Get a garmin.. it’s waaay more accurate then the fitbit

ExtraSlow
01-21-2019, 06:18 AM
Where my fitbit peeps at? Enjoying the sleep stuff still. And the resting heart rate graph.

cet
01-21-2019, 09:56 AM
I stopped using my Fitbit a couple of years ago. I found the quality to be terrible, and was having to get a new one every 10-12 months. I switched over to the apple watch and am liking it.

ExtraSlow
02-08-2019, 08:45 AM
The resting heart rate graph fascinates me. I am on an alcohol fast these days, and my the heart rate went down pretty noticeably. Then I got sick and it went up. Now I'm feeling better and it's going down again. Shit like that is endlessly amusing to me.

Brent.ff
02-08-2019, 08:51 AM
The resting heart rate graph fascinates me. I am on an alcohol fast these days, and my the heart rate went down pretty noticeably. Then I got sick and it went up. Now I'm feeling better and it's going down again. Shit like that is endlessly amusing to me.

You can usually tell when you're going to get sick too if you're watching it and it flares for no reason a couple days before hand.

ExtraSlow
02-08-2019, 08:53 AM
You can usually tell when you're going to get sick too if you're watching it and it flares for no reason a couple days before hand.

My sinuses are my early warning system. That's the weak spot on this body.

Brent.ff
02-08-2019, 09:05 AM
My sinuses are my early warning system. That's the weak spot on this body.

For sure, but you may get an elevated heart rate a few days before that.. ive noticed it a couple of times, as well as when im overtraining

JordanEG6
04-30-2019, 10:29 AM
Hey guys, so I got a Fitbit Inspire HR as a gift on Friday. Signed up, put in my information, synced it up and wore it Saturday and all throughout the weekend. So far, it's showing me ridiculous numbers on the first day. Here are my logs and what I did to try and correct the obviously wack numbers:

Saturday: 11.5K steps and I barely left the house.

- Did a soft reset and re-synced the device to the app

Sunday: 14.6K steps I left the house to go to run errands but I didn't take that many steps.

- Did a hard reset, deleted the device on the app. Re applied everything

Monday: 13.8K steps, took the dog for an hour walk

- calibrated the stride length to try and fix it

Today: Worked out this morning and already I have 5400 steps before noon. That's ridiculous. I also logged in 180 steps in my sleep and upon waking up and doing my thing (shower, get ready etc) I was up to 300 leaving the house and then by the time I got to the gym, walked over to the gym, I had already logged in over 1000 steps.

Is there anyway I can correct this, or is this a faulty device?

Brent.ff
04-30-2019, 10:43 AM
It's a fitbit.. they all overestimate. You'll get steps for turning your car's wheel..

Really only way to use them is as a trend device. If you know what you're normally doing vs a big day

JordanEG6
04-30-2019, 10:51 AM
Is it really THAT inaccurate though? My GF's Alta HR seems to be logging them in properly. Her numbers aren't as out to lunch as mine. She burns along 2000 cals/day. I'm burning twice that with very little work. I'm not looking for super tight accuracy by any means, but I am looking for ballpark figure, not one that is way out there. Why bother even having this thing then? As far as trends go, I know what when I do and don't exercise or if I've had a really active day. If these numbers are typical across the board for male users, I might just return this thing.

Brent.ff
04-30-2019, 10:54 AM
Ask fitbit? they'll send you a new one or replace it. Does sound bad.

BokCh0y
04-30-2019, 11:01 AM
My wife's fitbit seems to have that same issue as yours JordanEG6. I'm way more active than she is and she's racking up double the steps and shit even when all she did was do dishes and laundry all day sunday. Can you let me know what you find out for solution? I tried everything you mentioned above too, but she just thinks she's way more active than I am and I know clearly that is wrong.

Brent.ff
04-30-2019, 11:04 AM
For reference, did a 15 km run yesterday and ended the day with ~20k steps. Definitely sounds like your watch is going nuts (im using a Garmin Fenix)

ExtraSlow
04-30-2019, 11:34 AM
If there's a second one in the house, wear both on the same arm for a couple hours and see if they are even close. Maybe check your phones built in pedometer against the fitbit for a long walk?

One thing that can get you quite a few more is wearing it on your right arm when it's set to your left arm. That can be 10% more. That's a good trick if you want to get too much credit during a competition.

Yours sounds like more than just that however.

ExtraSlow
11-17-2019, 09:20 AM
Anyone love watching the sleep tracking?