PDA

View Full Version : looking for movers in calgary

calgary350z
10-26-2016, 09:59 PM
Hey everyone

I am looking to hire movers in December but need a company that is super careful and professional. I have a lot of delicate furniture and electronics that i can't have damaged.

Does anyone have a mover that they have used and trust. Don't mind paying extra as moving this stuff without damage is really important to me.

thanks

imranm
10-26-2016, 10:50 PM
Mountain movers. They're awesome. Ask them for the WESTJET deal!

ExtraSlow
10-27-2016, 06:51 AM
Have heard good things about AMJ Campbell. Get them to pack everything, that way I'm pretty sure they insure it against breakage.

Waldi
10-27-2016, 01:00 PM
Heard a lots of good things about Tulio Moving Company

max_boost
10-27-2016, 01:43 PM
I have used Amazing Grace Movers and they were great.

Kloubek
10-27-2016, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Have heard good things about AMJ Campbell. Get them to pack everything, that way I'm pretty sure they insure it against breakage.

X2. Just moved an employee of mine using them, and she said they were excellent. Professional with zero damage to her stuff.

darthVWader
10-27-2016, 02:16 PM
I use Andes and never an issue.

http://www.andesmoving.com/

Super_Geo
10-27-2016, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I have used Amazing Grace Movers and they were great.

+1 for Amazing Grace.

I recently used Metropolitan Movers cause Amazing Grace wasn't available that weekend. They had two guys who were really nice but were slow, and not as fit as movers usually are. Was a bit frustrating, but we were chatting and it turned out one was an unemployed geologist and the other had a white collar job too (I think? Can't remember). Shitty situation to be in, but obviously you have to do what you can if you can't get back to your old line of work. Once the move was done, the geologist asked for my card and added me on LinkedIn.

danno
01-15-2017, 07:42 PM
Looking for movers in April what is the cost typically for a 3 bedroom house if everything is packed. I also might get them just to do the big items. 4 couches 3 beds, kitchen table and treadmill. Any ideas??

jhmed
01-15-2017, 09:33 PM
We used Mountain movers back in July. Very good, and reasonably priced.

Epididymitis
01-16-2017, 12:18 AM
Just a heads up guys, be careful of a company called Austins Moving. Something about credit card fraud/unauthorized charges/not showing up. Guy who runs it is named Jason Leask. Revenue canada has him flagged, and he changes business names like shitty drawers. Did a quick google search on him and found his ex wifes warnsite. If you want a good laugh www.jasonleaskdeadbeat.com

R154
01-16-2017, 07:53 AM
Amj Campbell has performed both my moves and 3 for my brother.

Each time they came in and wrapped all my furniture/soft blankets.

Fast, efficient, diligent and I believe they are bondable.

The first time I used them they planned the load so they could drop off 2 old pieces of furniture at a 2nd location and didn't charge me for it. Floored by that customer service.

Highly recommended.

avishal26
01-17-2017, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by jhmed
We used Mountain movers back in July. Very good, and reasonably priced.

These guys are good and reasonably priced. For a 3 bedroom place packed, I would guess about 2.5 hours to load and 2 hours to unload, + travel time to new place + 1 hour they charge to show up. 3 guys is at $159/hr I think... or $149.

I have used them 3 times and will use them again in a couple of weeks.

jwslam
01-18-2017, 08:41 AM
I thought most movers charge you to pack your stuff so they don't damage fragiles?

danno
04-09-2017, 08:52 AM
Went with mountain movers and they did a great job. 3 guys did my move in 5 hours, I did most of the boxes though. Very happy with my decision, would highly recommend.

nagooro
07-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Bump.. If anyone has any more recommendations. Moving from a condo to a house in 2 weeks and looking to book some movers.

botox
07-06-2017, 07:42 AM
Busy Boy moving - Moved us last year. Started with 3 guys and they called in a 4th and 5th guy later cause of the amount of crap we had. Filled two 5 tons full, I can't believe how much crap we accumulated throughout the years. All guys were strong and worked very fast all day except for one that was really slow and weak. We provided refreshments and food for them so we wouldn't waste any time waiting for them to go for lunch. We boxed and packed everything delicate ourselves and only thing that was damaged was an old glass cabinet where one of doors fell off and broke but it was just a garage cabinet and I didn't care. All in all fairly quick and reasonably priced
Strong Arm moving - These guys saved me two times with moving a pool table the last minute and reasonably priced. They also do full moves as well but I don't have any experience with that.

bh87
07-06-2017, 10:53 AM
We used Red Mile Moving 2 months ago and they were great, good rate and careful with everything and even wrapped a few items at no extra cost. Call them at (403) 690-3888

As a note, they can't guarantee an exact pick up time for afternoon moves if there is a morning move booked that day. Matter's more if you live in or are moving to a condo where you have to book elevators for a specific time.

2000impreza
07-06-2017, 11:18 AM
I moved twice in the last three years and used Get A Move On both times. They were not the cheapest but the worked quickly and was very careful with our things.

http://www.getamoveon.ca/

Swank
07-07-2017, 01:58 PM
My buddy used the Filipino Movers a couple of years ago and thought they were great and super inexpensive:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-moving-storage/calgary/two-filipino-movers-79-junk-4034011351/1197076452

Although their ad is in pretty rough shape so I dunno, but they have been around for 5+ years as I remember seeing their truck in my old neighborhood.

nagooro
07-11-2017, 02:13 AM
I ended up going with Amazing Grace Movers. It was an afternoon move, they came in right on time, gave them a quick walk through of all the items and they started right away. Everything was organized and stacked pretty neatly in their truck. All furniture and fragile items were wrapped with a blanket and certain items (eg. TV) were strapped so they stayed in place. Overall, I have no negative things to say. Price was reasonable, no damage to the items or walls while loading/unloading, and they were professional throughout the process. :thumbsup:

Jerms
07-12-2017, 10:07 AM
Hired Mountain Mover last week as a referral from my realtor. I requested that one of the owners be on the job and they were awesome. There were 3 of them and super efficient. Mind you, we moved out a lot of out the smaller boxes out ourselves and left the bigger stuff to them. For a house that was 1800 sq feet, took them about 5 hours and was $139/hr

RX_EVOLV
08-15-2017, 12:39 PM
Hired Amazing Grace to move last week. We had moved all the stuff into a single garage, both big items (sofa, mattress, TV stand) to small boxes, and they came and loaded everything up and moved to the new house.

I originally booked them for 1pm but they said they finished the morning job early and could be there at 11am, which was too early so I asked for 12pm, and they came right at 12:00pm. They were very efficient but very careful with the stuff, and got everything done in 3 hours. Only sort of complaint is one of the guys took a dump in the new house near the end of the move and it stunk up the place, but overall very happy with them. Rate was more than reasonable. Almost felt too low for the amount of work so i just gave them a healthy tip. I would recommend them.

Mitsu3000gt
08-15-2017, 01:41 PM
How do damage claims work with movers? Say you had something damaged, how would you prove it wasn't damaged (I.e. that scratch wasn't there before) before hand? Do you need to go around and take pictures of everything you own before it gets packed? I imagine most of the time moving damage is minor (scratches, blemishes, dents, etc.) and not as clear cut as breaking a vase or whatever so I was wondering how you claim something like that or if it's a major PITA.

craigcd
08-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Tried to hire Amazing Grace movers for our move but they were booked so hired Mountain Movers. I was really organized and essentially just had them move larger furniture and anything I didnt want to lift. Took three guys four hours to load and unload including travel which I thought was pretty good. They pretty much busted ass the entire time. My only beef was the one mover (east coast guy, young) was hanging around hard looking for a tip at the end of the job......super annoying. I had planned to give the boss of the crew $50 to take them for lunch anyway which I did.

CokerRat
08-19-2017, 10:00 PM
Are gratuities expected? If so, what's customary?

craigcd
08-19-2017, 10:27 PM
Are gratuities expected? If so, what's customary?

No idea, they worked hard and I thought they deserved it. Annoyed me because I thought i was being a nice guy but there was apparently an expectation there. At the end of the day if I gave them nothing I wouldnt have lost sleep over it haha.

bh87
08-21-2017, 08:44 AM
Hired Red Mile Moving again over this past weekend, they gave me a 10% discount for being a repeat customer. 2 guys, 4.5 hours (45 minutes of it was driving), they were very careful and respectful of everything and laid down a rubber bottom sort of yoga mat style fabric runner all through the house and up the stairs. They worked hard and didn't slow down, even wrapped several fragile items at no extra cost. I tipped 20% of the total before discount, no idea what is customary but they were both very appreciative of the tip.

hurrdurr
08-21-2017, 09:02 AM
I've used Red Mile in the past and also had a satisfactory experience. They were quick and polite. I bought them lunch at the end. Would use again.

nagooro
08-28-2017, 12:12 PM
Hired Red Mile Moving again over this past weekend, they gave me a 10% discount for being a repeat customer. 2 guys, 4.5 hours (45 minutes of it was driving), they were very careful and respectful of everything and laid down a rubber bottom sort of yoga mat style fabric runner all through the house and up the stairs. They worked hard and didn't slow down, even wrapped several fragile items at no extra cost. I tipped 20% of the total before discount, no idea what is customary but they were both very appreciative of the tip.

What's their hourly rate?

bjstare
04-20-2023, 12:15 PM
Bump. Anyone have anything to add from their more recent experiences?

gmc72
04-20-2023, 12:32 PM
We are using Two Men and a Truck. Their rate is $199/hr for 3 people. That seems about typical from our calling around.

Hallowed_point
04-20-2023, 12:45 PM

Yes, I used "RelocateYou" last Saturday for a move from my condo to townhouse.

They were on time, very careful with everything and no extra charges for fuel or travel time etc.

$129.00/hour + GST for 2 movers and a 26 foot U Haul. Minimum 2 hours, after 2 hours you're billed in 30 minute increments.

killramos
04-20-2023, 01:33 PM

Mountain movers were really great for us last year.

We used 3 burley men a few years back and it was a terrible experience.

ThePenIsMightier
04-20-2023, 01:36 PM
2 Small Men With Big Hearts would be a DON'T BUY from me.

LLLimit
04-20-2023, 01:44 PM
Mountain Movers in October 2022, paid by the hour for 3 movers + 1 truck.
Used these guys as they moved a coworker a couple years prior, we share similar positive experiences.
They call themselves white-glove service. They pack & unpack as much or little as you want, doesn't matter as they charge by time.

Moved garage junk, bbq & outdoor furniture, upper floor, main floor & basement's furniture, plus awkward air bike, squat rack, & plates no problem.

The 3 moved quickly & efficiently; Tetris'd into the truck the furniture from bedrooms first as it's all square/rectangular shapes, garage items last as it was the dirty items & odd shapes.
Wrapped all furniture in saran wrap for gripping & transport. Clean truck and moving blankets.
Laid down runners in old and new home, and no damage anywhere. 9am to ~4pm.

tirebob
04-20-2023, 04:13 PM
Mountain movers were really great for us last year.

These guys 100%!! I have used them twice... The first time back in 2010 they under quoted us, still did a top level job and refused to charge us extra and honoured their quote. The second time we used them was just at the end of November this past year. Again, absolutely fantastic to deal with, their movers were hard workers and super polite and clean. Wrapped up everything in quality quilted moving blankets, pre-documented as the went, and went over and above again. I will use these guys again if the need arises!

schurchill39
04-20-2023, 10:33 PM
We used RC Movers based out of Turner Valley but they do everything from Airdrie south. I think we were $180/hr for 3 guys and they were great. We had a main floor, upper, and basement to move and they came in, disassembled all large furniture and took all of our shit no problem. This included all of my tools and materials out of the garage and my loaded tool box. To this day, movers are the best money I ever spent.

bjstare
04-21-2023, 07:10 AM
Excellent. Thanks everyone.

npham
04-21-2023, 09:00 AM
https://simplythebestmovers.ca

We used these guys. They were good, nothing significantly damaged and they worked pretty hard the entire time.

bjstare
04-21-2023, 10:34 AM
https://simplythebestmovers.ca

We used these guys. They were good, nothing significantly damaged and they worked pretty hard the entire time.

That is not an endorsement. The goal is 0 damage, not "a little" :rofl:

Team_Mclaren
04-22-2023, 02:02 AM
Used Cactus Moving a few months back. Zero issues and worked hard the whole time. Bought them some Tims and gave each one $20 bucks at the end. the debit machine did have a tip option but I was kinda annoyed by it. 10% tip wouldve been $100...

msommers
04-22-2023, 09:46 AM
For you guys moving a whole house, and assuming you've packaged/boxed everything yourself, how much has the total cost been?

schurchill39
04-24-2023, 07:57 AM
I think I was like like $1700 or something for 3 guys and a whole day

you&me
04-24-2023, 10:07 AM
My last move was ~$2500.

4 guys, ~10 hours of work (I bought pizza for about an hour long lunch) and a tip.

FWIW, Stampede Movers (moving?)... Totally worth it.

ThePenIsMightier
04-24-2023, 05:42 PM
I didn't think a person could move for less than $10k. Hearing these numbers rustles my jimmies at the profound effort, massive inconvenience and incredible stress I went through doing it myself last time.

killramos
04-24-2023, 05:56 PM
In my honest opinion moving is a $50k bath at a minimum.

Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves .

ExtraSlow
04-24-2023, 05:58 PM
It's $50k in capital destruction for sure. The cost of the movers themselves is a smaller fraction than people admit.

killramos
04-24-2023, 06:03 PM
Ah. I misunderstood tpims post.

Team_Mclaren
04-25-2023, 12:16 AM
For you guys moving a whole house, and assuming you've packaged/boxed everything yourself, how much has the total cost been?

I did 2 movers and 1 truck, Most are packed cept big furniture which they packed/disassembled for me. done in 7 hours @ $150/hour

haggis88
04-25-2023, 01:08 PM
I need to look up who we used, they were awesome...similar to Team_Mclaren we had everything boxed except big furniture stuff

We moved a small 3 bed to a small 4-bed and IIRC it was about 6 hours...they offered us an extra guy for an extra $10/hr as a "special deal" that turned out to be the bosses son on break from school and he was almost fucking useless...the other two guys were getting annoyed with him and then took that $10/hr back off hahaha

Andy643
04-25-2023, 03:11 PM
Used Cactus Moving a few months back. Zero issues and worked hard the whole time. Bought them some Tims and gave each one $20 bucks at the end. the debit machine did have a tip option but I was kinda annoyed by it. 10% tip wouldve been $100...

Used Catus Moving this past weekend. Good hard working guys. No issues and no damage.
Moved a 1500 sqft place- 4 guys, 2 trucks took 7 hours @ $249/hr.
- Used tip feature on machine.

bjstare
04-25-2023, 09:16 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something, but Andy643 and Team_Mclaren had $100/differential for the same service with the same company?

Team_Mclaren, what's your secret?

ThePenIsMightier
04-25-2023, 09:28 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something, but Andy643 and Team_Mclaren had $100/differential for the same service with the same company?

I know his secret...

msommers
04-25-2023, 10:38 PM
Sounds like it's roughly $2,000 to hire movers for an average home. I pray I never have to move again because part of me is too cheap to hire help but also I nearly killed myself moving a jam packed 26' Uhaul. So basically another move will kill me and either way I won't have to worry about it :rofl:

Team_Mclaren
04-25-2023, 11:13 PM

I did 2 movers and 1 truck, Most are packed cept big furniture which they packed/disassembled for me. done in 7 hours @ $150/hour

Andy used 4 movers and 2 trucks. so double the man and truck power?!

bjstare
04-26-2023, 07:19 AM
Andy used 4 movers and 2 trucks. so double the man and truck power?!

Fuck me.

jasonlava
04-08-2024, 05:51 AM
I moved from Ottawa to Calgary three months ago for a new job. I had quite a bit of stuff, basically a 2-bedroom apartment's worth. Finding out the cost beforehand was crucial, and I used this website https://threemovers.com/movers-ottawa-to-calgary-cost/ which was super helpful. It mentioned that the average cost for moving from Ottawa to Calgary is around $3,000 to $5,000 for a 1-bedroom apartment, and $6,000 to $10,000 for a 3-bedroom house. Prices vary based on distance, how much you're moving, and extra services.

For my amount of stuff, I paid around $7,000. I chose Three Movers, and they were really efficient and professional.

SKR
04-08-2024, 06:22 AM
I moved from Ottawa to Calgary three months ago for a new job. I had quite a bit of stuff, basically a 2-bedroom apartment's worth.

Great fuckin post buddy, relevant and informative. Enjoy a +rep courtesy of SKR.

killramos
04-08-2024, 07:10 AM
Bots gonna bot