PDA

View Full Version : What do i get to look forward to w/ home insurance

Brent.ff
10-27-2016, 07:47 AM
So had a pretty major water leak happen in the kitchen, go through the floors and soak a couple rooms in our basement. Have been told I'm covered through insurance, so the restoration guys are in the process of removing drywall, flooring, carpet, etc.

Being my first real dealing with home insurance, what am I in for? months of no kitchen?

Mitsu3000gt
10-27-2016, 09:29 AM
I'm sure it's different every time, but my parents had a very similar scenario. Dishwasher leaked into the basement pretty good. It was actually a fairly smooth process, and insurance agreed to completely replace the carpet/underlay in the basement bedroom below that was damaged. Yours sounds a little more serious though.

My only advice is if you have any power at all to control the contractors that come into your home, do your research and get ones you trust. I've been through several claims now and you can expect the absolute bottom of the barrel sub-sub-sub contractors to come in and do the work as quickly as possible so they can move onto the next project as the lowest bidder.

Brent.ff
10-27-2016, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
My only advice is if you have any power at all to control the contractors that come into your home, do your research and get ones you trust. I've been through several claims now and you can expect the absolute bottom of the barrel sub-sub-sub contractors to come in and do the work as quickly as possible so they can move onto the next project as the lowest bidder.

My understanding is that the current guys that are doing the immediate 'emergency restoration work' will be providing a quote to TD, which will be passed onto me, and i make the decision on if we use that quote through them (and get TD to warranty their work), or we can go our own way on it.

The warranty from TD makes me want to go that route, but im unsure what else is out there. Should I be getting a separate quote and sending it to TD, if this one seems small?

spikerS
10-27-2016, 10:25 AM
I would get a couple quotes, just to see if everything that needs repairs gets caught. One quote may miss a hidden damaged area that another company may spot. Compare time lines, materials, etc...Most companies will give you a quote for free, so why not? :dunno:

Brent.ff
10-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by spikerS
I would get a couple quotes, just to see if everything that needs repairs gets caught. One quote may miss a hidden damaged area that another company may spot. Compare time lines, materials, etc...Most companies will give you a quote for free, so why not? :dunno:

any referrals? Will need to do drywall, carpet, flooring...

Brent.ff
10-29-2016, 01:48 PM
So my subfloor is K3, including under the sink (and cabinets) that leaked. Contractor is now saying he may be able to just cut the K3 to the edge of the cabinet and see if it's 'dry enough'... seems like it's destined to mold, and they'll do this to avoid having to pull all the cabinets out...

Thoughts?

C_Dave45
10-29-2016, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Brent.ff
So my subfloor is K3, including under the sink (and cabinets) that leaked. Contractor is now saying he may be able to just cut the K3 to the edge of the cabinet and see if it's 'dry enough'... seems like it's destined to mold, and they'll do this to avoid having to pull all the cabinets out...

Thoughts?
For an insurance repair, that seems a little "mickey mouse". When we do a re&re with tile replacing vinyl and K3, we will cut up to the cabinet kicks, and replace with new plywood/tile outside that, but that's usually just a customer's choice to save money rather than remove all the cabinets and countertops.
But in a flood situation, if any of that K3 under the cabinet kicks gets wet, or IS wet, it will expand and push up on the cabinets. If no water got near there, then it would likely be fine.

Brent.ff
11-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Out of the 'emergency' and into the repair...

We only have two non-restorable items (two cabinets that were in the laundry room), which TD is wanting the price for. I am struggling to find equivalent pieces for this (one is 40x30x30 cabinet, with two drawers and a counter top, which seems to be impossible to find). Do we just have to find approximately the same thing and give them prices, and they'll issue a cheque?