PDA

View Full Version : Wall oven electrical

eblend
10-30-2016, 10:47 AM
Hi guys,

I currently just have a standard stove/oven installed but thinking of doing kitchen reno within the next year. I want to get an oven mounted on the wall next to the cook top.

Will I be able to use my existing 220V electrical which currently runs the stove/oven combo, to run these two separate appliances, or how does this work? I can't run any new electrical from the basement, but can re-wire in the kitchen any existing stuff. Anyone have any insight into what my options are?

I currently have a microwave in that area as well with it's own dedicated 110V, I plan to keep using that for the new wall mount microwave as well.

revelations
10-30-2016, 11:13 AM
In terms of amperage loading, are the two separate units going to pull about the same as existing? If yes then I cant see why not.

eblend
10-30-2016, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by revelations
In terms of amperage loading, are the two separate units going to pull about the same as existing? If yes then I cant see why not.

I believe so, not looking for any higher power units, just split my existing range into two units, an oven and a cooktop. I presume that both of these units run on a single 220V plug, but are both 220V devices?

Looking online also saw that there are combo oven/microwave units, which could just run on one 220V I believe, so if I dedicate the existing 220V to the oven/microwave, would an induction cooktop work off 110V, or do those run off 220V as well? I figure induction may be lower voltage and not require 220, if that's the case, I could use the microwave circuit for cooktop.

eblend
10-30-2016, 11:30 AM
Just found this, which makes me think I don't need a separate circuit!

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/electric-cook-top-need-dedicated-circuit-84290.html

The e quick answer is no -- an electric cook top does not have to be on its own dedicated circuit. A cook top can be connected to the same circuit as one or more built-in conventional electric wall ovens. The cook top needs its own dedicated branch circuit only when there are no other built-in cooking appliances installed.

Code Requirements
Specifications in Article 220 of the National Electrical Code permit a counter-top cooking unit and not more than two wall-mounted ovens to be treated as a single range and connected to the same circuit. The individual wattage ratings are added together, and then the circuit ampacity is calculated according to NEC Table 320.19. When you're installing a cook top alone, the circuit ampacity must match the full load ampacity of the cook top.

redline
10-30-2016, 11:35 AM
^^^ electric codes are different all over the place Alberta is different then bc etc...

Make sure before you do some thing, I would call an electrician and make sure

rx7_turbo2
10-30-2016, 03:22 PM
Minimum electrical requirements are determined by the Canadian Electrical Code. Municipalities have the ability to demand things above and beyond the CEC and from time to time they do but generally speaking following the CEC rules will be enough. NEC is the National Electric Code for the United States and means nothing here, it can be used as a general guide I suppose but it often ends up biting people in the ass so I wouldn't recommend following it.

Now regarding the issue at hand. There is a specific rule regarding what the OP wants to do. CEC Rule 26-742 covers "Separate Built In Cooking Units" and the rules regarding their tap conductors. Rules 26-744 and 26-746 cover other relevant requirements. There is specific mention that a cooking appliance greater that 1500w must be on its own circuit. Read 26-746 carefully because there's a bunch in it that may apply.

I know the idea is "I'm just splitting the two functions of the device so it's no big deal". From a total load aspect this might be true but that's not how the Code works. In addition splitting the device doesn't always mean a 50/50 load split and the rules mentioned above will cover length and size of tap conductors as well as circuit protection. I'm not sure they can share a single circuit breaker. I've never owned nor installed an induction cooktop but I did look into one and the electrical draw was fairly high was it not?

My Code rules apply to the 2012 CEC. Alberta only recently adopted the 2015 edition and I haven't looked it over so Code rule numbers might be slightly different but will get you in the right area.

As always, remember to do this properly, a permit MUST be pulled for the type of work you're describing. An inspector can help point you in the right direction and their approval at the end of the job will assure you and future owners of the home things were done properly. :clap:

eblend
10-30-2016, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
Minimum electrical requirements are determined by the Canadian Electrical Code. Municipalities have the ability to demand things above and beyond the CEC and from time to time they do but generally speaking following the CEC rules will be enough. NEC is the National Electric Code for the United States and means nothing here, it can be used as a general guide I suppose but it often ends up biting people in the ass so I wouldn't recommend following it.

Now regarding the issue at hand. There is a specific rule regarding what the OP wants to do. CEC Rule 26-742 covers "Separate Built In Cooking Units" and the rules regarding their tap conductors. Rules 26-744 and 26-746 cover other relevant requirements. There is specific mention that a cooking appliance greater that 1500w must be on its own circuit. Read 26-746 carefully because there's a bunch in it that may apply.

I know the idea is "I'm just splitting the two functions of the device so it's no big deal". From a total load aspect this might be true but that's not how the Code works. In addition splitting the device doesn't always mean a 50/50 load split and the rules mentioned above will cover length and size of tap conductors as well as circuit protection. I'm not sure they can share a single circuit breaker. I've never owned nor installed an induction cooktop but I did look into one and the electrical draw was fairly high was it not?

My Code rules apply to the 2012 CEC. Alberta only recently adopted the 2015 edition and I haven't looked it over so Code rule numbers might be slightly different but will get you in the right area.

As always, remember to do this properly, a permit MUST be pulled for the type of work you're describing. An inspector can help point you in the right direction and their approval at the end of the job will assure you and future owners of the home things were done properly. :clap:

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction. Seems encouraging. I just wanted to get an idea to see if my wall oven is even something I could consider or not with a single cable, it seems like it is something that's possible, so now i can look further into it.

Thank you all.