PDA

View Full Version : Replacing hardwired smoke detectors?

Amysicle
10-31-2016, 02:31 AM

Buster
10-31-2016, 02:38 AM
get the 120v nests, and hardwire them into the existing wiring.

jwslam
10-31-2016, 07:45 AM
Isn't it just a few screw connectors?
If you can change out an outlet / switch / light fixture, you could probably change these out too.

(disclaimer: i didn't watch this myself)
0mlXbDL3EUs

schocker
10-31-2016, 09:11 AM
It is pretty easy to DIY. I did mine myself converting them to nests. The nest is pricey but it is a 10 year CO + Smoke detector and I already had the thermostat and camera. You would just need to turn off the breaker, make sure there is no power and remove. I am guessing that they would just be wire nuts which is ez pizi.

jacky4566
10-31-2016, 09:54 AM
Unless they are super old they should just be 3 wires. Couple of screws and marrets easy peasy. Electrician should do anything you pay them form.

Cant really comment on Photoelectric. Seems like a cheap out so as not to deal with radioactive material certs.

Whatever you do avoid those "Talking" alarms. Really bullshit and annoying. Get a real beeping, annoying as fuck, alarm. Remember this is supposed to wake you up in the night.

Amysicle
10-31-2016, 10:08 AM

TYMSMNY
10-31-2016, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess what I'm a little concerned about is the interconnectivity? What if I don't hook it up right?

It'll tell you if it's not working properly.

It'll also run tests every month and notifies you.

nothing to worry about, just connect the wires according to colors.

03ozwhip
10-31-2016, 01:11 PM
actually it's wierd, I have a house that's only 3 months old with hardwired detectors in every room and the one in my room started beeping the other day as if the battery was dying.

now I have the red test light that flashes every so often and I pressed it and maybe it reset because it's not beeping now, but the red light still flashes sometimes.

I don't know wtf that's about, anyone?

Amysicle
11-01-2016, 06:10 AM

03ozwhip
11-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Amysicle

The green LED (when illuminated) indicates the presence of AC power.

The red LED (located under the test / hush button) has four modes of operation:

Standby Condition: The red LED will flash every 40 seconds to indicate that the smoke alarm is operating properly.

Alarm Condition: When the alarm senses products of combustion and goes into alarm, the red LED will flash one flash per second. The flashing LED and pulsating alarm will continue until the air is cleared.

WHEN UNITS ARE INTERCONNECTED, only the red LED of the alarm which senses the smoke or is being tested (the originating unit) will flash. All other units in the interconnect system will sound an alarm but their red LED’s will NOT flash.

Alarm Memory (Models i12020ACA and i12040ACA only): This smoke alarm is equipped with an alarm memory, which provides a visual indication when an alarm has been activated. The red LED will illuminate for about 1.5 seconds every 20 seconds to indicate the memory condition. The memory will remain activated until pushing the test button resets it or will time-out between 11 to 13 hours. The memory will also reset if the battery voltage drops to 8 Volts DC and when no AC power is present. In an interconnected installation only the memory of the originating alarm will be activated.

Does that help?
:thumbsup: thanks!

JordanEG6
02-01-2023, 03:46 PM
BUMP from the dead.

My smoke detector (Kidde I12020ACA) started to chirp intermittently recently. It seems random, but twice or three instances now it's happened in middle of the night or evening in weird intervals (sometimes every couple minutes, sometimes a lot longer between chirps), sometimes not at all throughout the day.

Usually, it indicates a battery change, but I checked the unit and there is no back up battery on it. It is only hardwired. My only guess now is that it's just old and should be replaced in general. But I am just wondering what else the intermittent chirping might be?

Checked the manual, nothing in it gives me an idea of the chirping sounds other than battery change.

ExtraSlow
02-01-2023, 03:47 PM
It needs replacement. There's a few things that could make it chirp like that, but nothing you can fix. Replace it.

mr2mike
02-01-2023, 07:46 PM
Had to call first alert about my 3 month old detectors.
I was shocked how good the tech guy was. But also amazed it had the capabilities that it did of testing each sensor, smoke, heat, CO a few times a day.
Issue with mine was battery changed too quick and it had logged low voltage and it did not actually reset the brains.
Had to do a hard reset to clear the beep codes.

Basically, battery in. Held the power button down for 90-120 seconds. Multiple beep sessions during that time.

zieg
02-01-2023, 08:44 PM
Also good to keep in mind they do have an expiry date. I think mine are good for 10 years from new. For how little they cost I think it's best to just say when in doubt, change your shit out.

mr2mike
02-01-2023, 09:15 PM
I would agree.

Mine are Wifi attached, slightly more expensive but why risk it?