PDA

View Full Version : Bike Fit - your experiences?

XylathaneGTR
10-31-2016, 11:45 PM
Howdy folks:

I've heard for a while now that a professional bike fit is worthwhile if you're serious about spending any time in the saddle and I wanted ol' beyond's take on it: for those who have had a fit (more than the rough fit when you buy new at the shop): where did you go, what service did you end up with, and what was the end result?

I do have an extensive history of injury which is probably a factor to the issues i'm having. I feel like my roadie fits quite well but could benefit from a tweak or two (I'm reaching a tiiiiiny bit and have a lazy core - it's endurance geometry, 58cm frame at 6'1"), and I know my mountain bike needs some work as I do feel some knee pain when clipped in (XC race geometry, full susp, large frame).

Thanks friends!
-D

revelations
10-31-2016, 11:50 PM
Cant comment on the roadie setup, but for MTB (im 6'4") I had to adjust the float for my SPDs due to knees and get 195mm cranks for my daddy long legs.

Also, I went with 29" XC wheel/frame and it was an immediate feeling of being "one" with the bike all of a sudden, rather than sitting on top.

XylathaneGTR
11-01-2016, 12:00 AM
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that the mtb is a 29er. Shoes are shimano M163s that fit well (upsized slightly because of my left-leg brace which covers a portion of my foot) and pedals are shimano A530s.

Not sure if brand would have an impact to the fitter, but both bicycles are Specialized.

bigboom
11-01-2016, 09:11 AM
For bike fit I would check out TCR, they actually have a pretty slick process.

But before you do that, what issues are you having? Might be something simple you won't need to spend $300 on.

CLiVE
11-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Speed Theory Retul Complete Bike fit. ~$250? for the last 2 bikes (Road/Tri). Found it better than TCR which I've used in the past.

At a minimum get a basic static fit at Bow Cycle, or similar for $100.

:thumbsup:

XylathaneGTR
11-01-2016, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by bigboom
For bike fit I would check out TCR, they actually have a pretty slick process.

But before you do that, what issues are you having? Might be something simple you won't need to spend $300 on.

Road Bike: I'm not a flexible fella, so i've got a +17deg 90mm stem mounted (stock for this bike is a 12deg, 100mm). I feel like this setup, while more comfortable and upright, still causes me to reach a little too far and I don't get great effectiveness out of the drops, so I'd like to mess with a different setup there. During longer rides, I develop a stiffness in my lower back (especially when carrying a backpack) - think this is more due to a lazy core, but not sure if the reach is impacting it (FWIW, my shoulders feel fine all the way through). Also on longer rides, I will get a bit of dull numbness in the fleshy parts of my hands, which again tells me that I'm reaching a bit and putting a little too much weight through my hands.

Mtb: knee pain when clipped in during high exertions (trail climbing)...generally feel alright if cruising on the street. Definitely believe that my cleat position isn't ideal which is a contributing factor. I don't think I have the right knee position (very small bend in the knee, not almost straight like my road bike) but I believe the saddle is at a decent height based on my 'stoplight' position (foot does not touch the ground without leaning over on the bike when seated in the saddle...just like the road bike). The stem is quite short and flat, and if I jack the seat post much higher to straighten out my knees I feel like I have a weird shoulder/back curve when I grip the bars and it just doesn't feel right; with that I suspect a bit of saddle positioning and stem work is required to get this package working together properly.

Any suggested readings for me to look into further?

Thanks!

bigboom
11-01-2016, 11:22 AM
So first question is, you mention Specialized, I'm guessing it's a Roubaix? That already has a REALLY tall stack height, along with the +17 rise stem are you running any spacers?

When I hear you say your lower back is developing pain, I'm going to take you the other way on your cockpit setup. I have a feeling you are jammed into your current cockpit and it's causing your lower back issues. Try this, sitting in your chair emulate the position that would happen if your cockpit was too small, see how it causes your back to stiffen? Of course, you mentioned core strength, that will have to be worked on otherwise you're kinda stuck with this position since you can't stretch out because your core is too weak.

Now try elongating your back and reach and see how it actually frees up the back? Give this a try, for someone that is 6'1" with a 90mm +17, that a ridiculously short stem and reach to be running. Any way for you to get your hands on a 100mm, 10 deg or even 6 deg rise stem to give it a try?

msommers
11-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by CLiVE
Speed Theory Retul Complete Bike fit. ~$250? for the last 2 bikes (Road/Tri). Found it better than TCR which I've used in the past.

At a minimum get a basic static fit at Bow Cycle, or similar for $100.

:thumbsup:

This is interesting to hear as I used TCR and noticed only a moderate change - still get left knee pain after half hour to an hour. I haven't ridden much in the last while and my laziness could be part of it, knowing my knee will start hurting again has really put me off getting on the saddle.

Maybe I should give these guys a shot.

XylathaneGTR
11-01-2016, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
So first question is, you mention Specialized, I'm guessing it's a Roubaix? That already has a REALLY tall stack height, along with the +17 rise stem are you running any spacers?

When I hear you say your lower back is developing pain, I'm going to take you the other way on your cockpit setup. I have a feeling you are jammed into your current cockpit and it's causing your lower back issues. Try this, sitting in your chair emulate the position that would happen if your cockpit was too small, see how it causes your back to stiffen? Of course, you mentioned core strength, that will have to be worked on otherwise you're kinda stuck with this position since you can't stretch out because your core is too weak.

Now try elongating your back and reach and see how it actually frees up the back? Give this a try, for someone that is 6'1" with a 90mm +17, that a ridiculously short stem and reach to be running. Any way for you to get your hands on a 100mm, 10 deg or even 6 deg rise stem to give it a try?

Yes, a Roubaix. There's at least one stock spacer in there, could be two (bike's locked up downstairs as I type so I cannot check) - probably around 20mm; this has me upright which I've found to be comfortable; basically my back is in a more-or-less squat position [see link: https://cdn2.omidoo.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/full_width/images/bydate/20130128/deepsquatside.jpg]; bent forward at the hips and a more or less straight back up to my shoulders and neckline, arms are down to the bars with a slight bend at the elbow in this position.

I spent some time on an Allez 56 and quite a bit more on a diverge 56 and 58s before I pulled the trigger on the roubaix. The Allez 56 definitely felt cramped and I didn't like the curved position it put me into (though I acknowledge a weak core may have played a part in this). I didn't apprecaite that tight of a position.

Based on the link I posted, how do you imagine the changes you've sugested would position me? Give me a bit more stretch and reach and lower my shoulders, yes? Should my back be curved at all in this position?

Thank you for the suggestion; I'll see if I can spend some time back on a stock setup this weekend and see how that feels.

revelations
11-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that the mtb is a 29er. Shoes are shimano M163s that fit well (upsized slightly because of my left-leg brace which covers a portion of my foot) and pedals are shimano A530s.

Not sure if brand would have an impact to the fitter, but both bicycles are Specialized.

Adjust your MTB SPD float if you can.

bigboom
11-02-2016, 09:25 AM

Yes, a Roubaix. There's at least one stock spacer in there, could be two (bike's locked up downstairs as I type so I cannot check) - probably around 20mm; this has me upright which I've found to be comfortable; basically my back is in a more-or-less squat position [see link: https://cdn2.omidoo.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/full_width/images/bydate/20130128/deepsquatside.jpg]; bent forward at the hips and a more or less straight back up to my shoulders and neckline, arms are down to the bars with a slight bend at the elbow in this position.

I spent some time on an Allez 56 and quite a bit more on a diverge 56 and 58s before I pulled the trigger on the roubaix. The Allez 56 definitely felt cramped and I didn't like the curved position it put me into (though I acknowledge a weak core may have played a part in this). I didn't apprecaite that tight of a position.

Based on the link I posted, how do you imagine the changes you've sugested would position me? Give me a bit more stretch and reach and lower my shoulders, yes? Should my back be curved at all in this position?

Thank you for the suggestion; I'll see if I can spend some time back on a stock setup this weekend and see how that feels.

It would give you more reach but the issue with too upright a position is it will put pressure on your lower back (but too much reach will do the same), I can't see you on your bike but give it a try.

XylathaneGTR
11-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the input, all. I'll tweak my cleats this weekend to try and get some better foot orientation, and see what I can do to get a different stem setup.

I'll play with it a bit before I plunk down the cost for a full fancy fit (I didn't know TCR existed, so I'll check with them as well as a few others as I'm looking to fit up both my road and mtb).
Thanks...keep the input coming!

buh_buh
11-03-2016, 02:47 PM
I got a road bike fit at Speed Theory. I'd recommend it.
They put sensors on you while you ride and figure out ideal angles and stuff using their computer program, pretty cool stuff. They changed quite a bit on my setup, but mine was also just eyeballed from Ridley's.

I still have some lower back pain, but I think anytime you're hunched over like that for 3+ hours, you're going to have some form of back pain. Mine is also because I tend to hunch over a bit too.

CLiVE
11-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the input, all. I'll tweak my cleats this weekend to try and get some better foot orientation, and see what I can do to get a different stem setup.

Prob have about 15+ stems of different lengths in my parts bin. If you need something, or want to try a set up before buying let me know what you need. :dunno: :thumbsup:

Penguin_Racecar
11-17-2016, 09:54 PM
I got my bike fit through Bow this summer. They use the Specialized measurement system, which relies on video footage for comparison. Tons of measurements taken for flexibility / leg length / arches / etc. Ended up changing the following from previous setup:
- dropped saddle 7mm (this was a big change)
- went from 138mm to 143mm (also a big change in comfort)
- left cleat (SPD) moved back about 2mm
- shim in right shoe to help counter knee turn in

I found the saddle adjustment was the biggest change - easier to put down power while seated.
Went on a 9 hour ride to Sparwood and was still pretty comfortable upon arrival. Was riding a ton already before my fit, and I wasn't a real problem case to be honest.

Wife also had a bike fit - Ended up going to a shorter stem and slamming it (upside down) due to her good hip flexibility. She had shoulder soreness before and this helped bring the shoulders back (decreased reach) but took advantage of her flexibility.

jampack
05-03-2018, 10:48 PM
Bumping this!

I need a bike fit. Anyone has experience with this guy? Very good pricing..

https://www.360bikefit.ca

Thanks in advance!

buh_buh
05-04-2018, 08:55 AM
I've gotten fit again since my last post, this time at TCR, and I would highly recommend them, definitely over Speed Theory. Not nearly as cost friendly as 360 bike fit, but very thorough and definitely better than any bike upgrade I've ever bought.
Haven't heard of this 360 guy, by the looks of it he's fairly new at it since he just got his certificate in 2017. Not saying he's not good, but just something to consider.

Mitsu3000gt
05-04-2018, 09:02 AM
Depends on the riding and your preferences. For example for DH a lot of guys (including myself) like smaller frames than is technically correct. For XC/Road though I would get a proper fit and a custom seat if I did it over.

jampack
05-09-2018, 10:49 PM
I've gotten fit again since my last post, this time at TCR, and I would highly recommend them, definitely over Speed Theory. Not nearly as cost friendly as 360 bike fit, but very thorough and definitely better than any bike upgrade I've ever bought.
Haven't heard of this 360 guy, by the looks of it he's fairly new at it since he just got his certificate in 2017. Not saying he's not good, but just something to consider.

Thanks. I'll probably check out TCR when I am ready for a bike fit.

CLiVE
05-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Bumping this!

I need a bike fit. Anyone has experience with this guy? Very good pricing..

https://www.360bikefit.ca

Thanks in advance!

I know him through a bunch of local tri clubs. Great guy.
I wouldn't hesitate to send anyone to him. Very professional and thorough individual.
Haven't heard any feedback on his fit services per se, but do know people that have had bike repairs done by him and they were all impressed with the pricing and service offered.

997TT
05-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Man I’m on the fence regarding a bike fit. Have 0 issues/pain but just have eyeballed everything and pretty much walked out bow cycle with a M/L CX with 0 fitting from them. Having read this thread I’m thinking I should invest $400 on a fit and saddle but damn $400 can buy a few things. My rides only 12kms each way but would be nice piece of mind to know everything is aligned. In hindsight I should’ve gotten a fit before I left store. My bad

buh_buh
05-10-2018, 01:19 PM
I think I've said this before, but a fit is the best $400 I've spent on my bike. Everything just feels natural now, and I know I'm in the most efficient possible position.

D'z Nutz
05-10-2018, 01:22 PM
In hindsight I should’ve gotten a fit before I left store. My bad

The store isn't going to go into the great lengths an actual fitting does. They'll just make sure your seat is at the right height, you have a good stem length, etc and then send you along your way.

997TT
05-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Ya I’m gonna bite the bullet and get fitted. Even if just a basic fit.
Want to get a better saddle too once I figure what size I am. The saddle that came with my bike is ok but still get sore a$$ if I take time off riding.

bigboom
05-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Ya I’m gonna bite the bullet and get fitted. Even if just a basic fit.
Want to get a better saddle too once I figure what size I am. The saddle that came with my bike is ok but still get sore a$$ if I take time off riding.

Bow will do this for you for free if you are buying a saddle.

bjstare
06-20-2018, 03:47 PM
Just gonna bump this to see if anyone's gotten a fit recently, and has additional feedback? I'm leaning towards TCR right now, but more info is always good.

buh_buh
06-21-2018, 01:07 PM
Booking in at 360 for a tri bike fit in July. For $150 I’ll give it a shot. For my road bike though I’ll continue to go to TCR.