PDA

View Full Version : Autobody trying to rip me off

2.2vtec
03-20-2004, 01:59 AM
My friends car was in the autobody getting fixed because of some damage that I had caused. Well I know that they told me that there might be addition damage to the vechile and I told if there is additional DAMAGE then I'll pay for it. Well they called me today saying it's over 500 more...so logically I assumed that there was additional damage..but they said something like they quoted me the wrong price on some parts or the price went up on them or something...Can they do that?? Why didn't they notify me before??

88CRX
03-20-2004, 02:01 AM
what do you have in writing?

2.2vtec
03-20-2004, 02:10 AM
Just the typical estimate...saying that there may be additional damages, never said anything about there might be an increase in the price of parts! Thats bullshit, if they still say I have to pay it i'm calling my lawyer!:guns:

bighead411
03-20-2004, 02:13 AM
not necessary a scam.......sometimes it will happen to quote for a wrong parts......e.g...................a wheel bearing for a integra.........LS, RS, GS is the same,,,but not as GSR....it will cost more.........hope this help.......

Ducati
03-20-2004, 02:33 AM
Pay them by cheque. Then stop payment on the cheque. Send them a registered letter requiring a signature that states that you are willing to pay X amount into court trust for their Small Claims Court arbitrators to release pending their decision. In the meantime the body shop was welcome to issue a Statement of Claim in Small Claims Court (It will take 9 months to get to a hearing) and that you will file a defence to their action.
I have done this several times with a 100% success rate.

One of the best places to be is to be Underestimated. It makes people expose their vulnerabilities and eradicates any sense of remorse you may have for fucking them over 1000 times over as payback.

Alberta's Small Claims Court system is very similar to Manitoba (where I have been to Small Claims Court over a dozen times) and only slightly different to BC's courts (where I now live, and am taking advantage of this wonderful tool of justice and retribution) If you want to do this, stop payment on the cheque first, than I can give you more specific info on how to bring the body shop around to seeing things your way.

Phuqu
03-20-2004, 03:09 AM
Did they even start working on it yet?

Most reputable shops won't start on work unless it's authorized. Especially if it customer pay and not insurance.

Why don't you find out what the increase was for. I'm sure it's justified somehow. Unless it's a shady place I don't think they would blatantly rip you off.

2.2vtec
03-20-2004, 03:10 AM
The thing is I have to order cheques and my friend wants his car out right away....what do I do? Isn't it there fault?

2.2vtec
03-20-2004, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Phuqu
Did they even start working on it yet?

Most reputable shops won't start on work unless it's authorized. Especially if it customer pay and not insurance.

Why don't you find out what the increase was for. I'm sure it's justified somehow. Unless it's a shady place I don't think they would blatantly rip you off.

The thing is that I called them asking if there was any additional damages to the vechile and they said no. All of a sudden when the car is done they tell me about the part price increase. If things don't go my way I'll be making alot of trouble for this place. They should have phoned me before doing any work to notify me about the change in parts! Am I correct?! This is a pretty well known place as well!!

Phuqu
03-20-2004, 03:21 AM
If it's parts price increase there isn't much you can do.

Your friend's car was damaged and needed repairing. I am assuming it needed whatever parts that were damaged. They were probably replaced with parts you agreed on. ie. factory parts.

The parts are going to cost whatever they cost to buy. If they misquoted you on price there's not much you can do. Suggest they charge you their cost on it. They are not going to eat any of the additional costs.

Are they finished with the car? What work did they say they were going to do and did they do additional work that was needed?

If they said it may need additional work and or parts it shouldn't be a surprise that it was more. Not all damage can be seen without tearing it down.

Zero102
03-20-2004, 11:59 AM
They can't do the work without your authorization.
They can't exceed the original estimate by more than 10% without written/verbal permission.
If you have an estimate, including the parts, then you should be safe. For the most part, they are valid for 30 days. If you are within those 30 days, they can't jack up the price.

2.2vtec
03-20-2004, 12:28 PM
It was over 30 days.....does that effect my case that much??

Phuqu
03-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Is the car done?

It sounds like it was repaired already and you paid for it and then have some 'buyer remorse'.

Who has the car? What was the original estimate for and what was the final bill?

Just not enough information for a decision on what to do.

core_upt
03-20-2004, 02:39 PM
if the car's not doen, go and buy the parts yourself. I don't think autobody shops tend to mark up very much on parts, or at least they shouldn't. Any shop I have dealt with has had no problems with me providing my own parts, ie hoods, windshields, rebars, bumper covers, etc.

Ducati
03-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Get a counter cheque from your bank. Try that, and see what happens. They cannot file a Mechanics Lien once they release the car to you, and there are consumer protection laws that can be looked up on the internet that gowern their rights to reposess.
I would stop payment & send the registered letter right pronto. that will "Estop" (a legal term) them from pursuing "replevin", or reposession.

Zero102
03-20-2004, 09:18 PM
Well, their original estimate for parts is no longer valid.
HOWEVER, they should have given you an estimate before they start the work, or some kind of assurance regarding the price.

ninspeed
03-21-2004, 02:04 AM
First of all, not trying to rip you off... if you got an estimate saying its for insurance, its cheaper than if it is cust pay... Door rates and Parts mark up is diffrent for each (even each insurance company depending on how much work gets sent to that shop)...
ex, we charge a 55$/hr refinish plus 18$/hr material... but insurance is 48$hr and material is still around 18$/hr. Yes sometimes you can bargain.

2nd, what kinda dammage? ALOT of shops will underquote to get the job in the door.. ex. A person backed into a pole. the shop will estimate for a new bumper cover and refinish rates. But, the impact cusion is probally broken.. or even the rebar. THAT has to be fixed.

What exactly did they mark up? and what kinda dammge?

2.2vtec
03-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by ninspeed
First of all, not trying to rip you off... if you got an estimate saying its for insurance, its cheaper than if it is cust pay... Door rates and Parts mark up is diffrent for each (even each insurance company depending on how much work gets sent to that shop)...
ex, we charge a 55$/hr refinish plus 18$/hr material... but insurance is 48$hr and material is still around 18$/hr. Yes sometimes you can bargain.

2nd, what kinda dammage? ALOT of shops will underquote to get the job in the door.. ex. A person backed into a pole. the shop will estimate for a new bumper cover and refinish rates. But, the impact cusion is probally broken.. or even the rebar. THAT has to be fixed.

What exactly did they mark up? and what kinda dammge?

You are referring to "we" do you work for the body shop that I went to?????:guns:

ninspeed
03-24-2004, 10:14 PM
dont know... i work for a body shop, so when i say "we" i mean my shop... what shop did you take your car too?

izzoblitzo
03-24-2004, 10:39 PM
if there is a price increase, when they are ordering parts, they should notify you that its costing you more. Cos otherwise, the customer is left thinking the quote he was given is still good. That way, you cant say they screwed you over, because you woulda told them if you wanted the work done still.

I had my minivan in the shop awhile ago, and they first quoted me like, $1600bucks, and then all of a sudden, they call me a few days later (after the van was taken apart) that it was gonna cost me $2000bucks cos there was more to it than originally thought)

but by then, the car was already in pieces at the shop, and they were ready to sell me a new car... they wouldnt give me anything for the van, because it was deemed undrivable.. so I either called for a tow truck, or got them to fix it. So I got them to fix it, but the bill came out to $1800, plus a 10% discount for some reason. hahaha.. weird.