PDA

View Full Version : What year is this...1995??

C_Dave45
11-08-2016, 08:33 PM
I WAS aware of it, but in my defense it was almost 2 years ago. What establishment operates with NO debit machine or even an ATM nearby in today's world?!!

Went to go watch the Mustangs play the Canucks up at the University tonight. No Debit Machine Nor ATM. CASH only.

WTF?!!! Still?! SEE YA!

That is all.

danno
11-08-2016, 09:18 PM
Bowling alley in okotokes is the same.

speedog
11-08-2016, 09:20 PM
Dino, Colts and high school football games at McMahon are the same way although I believe some Dino games might have an ARM. .

speedog
11-08-2016, 09:21 PM
Peter's Drive In used to be cash only until not too long ago.

max_boost
11-08-2016, 09:27 PM
pho pasteur chinatown

See ya indeed. GTFO :devil:

redblack
11-08-2016, 09:37 PM
Cash is king

vengie
11-09-2016, 12:07 AM
Easier to hide cash.

malbadon
11-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by vengie
Easier to hide cash.
that.

sputnik
11-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by vengie
Easier to hide cash.

Perhaps a team that plays a couple home games every month just doesn't want to deal with running their own debit/credit machine and the costs associated with it.

You think a contractor would have fat stacks of tax free cash to spend.

spike98
11-09-2016, 03:55 PM
The cochrane movie house is cash only for concession. I do think its more of a tax evasion/laundering scheme as opposed to just not being up with the times.

C_Dave45
11-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Perhaps a team that plays a couple home games every month just doesn't want to deal with running their own debit/credit machine and the costs associated with it.

You think a contractor would have fat stacks of tax free cash to spend. I never carry cash. Ever.

So a business with a half a million dollars annual budget can't afford a debit machine? Every two-bit kiosk selling $10 dollar sunglasses seems to have no problem.

:dunno:

Originally posted by spike98
The cochrane movie house is cash only for concession. I do think its more of a tax evasion/laundering scheme as opposed to just not being up with the times.
I bet there's either an ATM near, or a debit machine for admission though right?

wildrice
11-09-2016, 06:43 PM
theres a whole bunch of places that are cash only and still hugely successful.
see ya, i'm sure they won't miss out on your business.

speedog
11-09-2016, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

You think a contractor would have fat stacks of tax free cash to spend.

Seeing as it's the Calgary Flames (under CSEC) the concessions at McMahon and the Saddledome, it must be apparent that running debit/credit machines shouldn't be an issue. They accept credit cards and cash at concession stands at the Saddledome but cash only at McMahon. I don't believe they accept debit at concession stands at either location. ATM's are on site at McMahon but are only brought out for the Stampeder games - why they're not brought out for Dino/Colts/high school games is beyond me and I've been involved behind the scenes in the concession areas for 6+ years on a volunteer basis with the Dino's wrestling clubs.

It is a management decision and seeing as they only take cash at McMahon concessions and often we have potential concession patrons who are unaware that it's a cash only concession, it can and often does result in lost sales for the Flames. We've identified this problem with Flames management multiple times over the years and yet nothing has changed.

It does need to be noted that for the Flames to accept debit/credit in the concession stands would mean running cables all over the place plus the infrastructure to support it and also new tills everywhere. My suspicion is nothing will change until the Stamps have a new or seriously updated facility.

firebane
11-09-2016, 07:01 PM
ATM machines aren't cheap so most are done on a per rental basis which usually means huge costs for both parties and there is generally a set amount of transactions to be expected for the atm to be viable.

speedog
11-09-2016, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by firebane
ATM machines aren't cheap so most are done on a per rental basis which usually means huge costs for both parties and there is generally a set amount of transactions to be expected for the atm to be viable.

There are companies out there that will set up a portable temporary ATM at no cost to a group or organization who might be looking for such a solution. I know this because the seasonal farmers' market that my wife manages had such a situation in place this year where the ATM company would bring in and set up their ATM machine before the market opened and picked it up at market close with no cost to the market. ATM people say they need about 50-60 transactions for a location to be viable.

The Flames do have ATM's on site at McMahon that stored in several rooms that are carted out for certain events and there are temporary ATM's set up outside the stadium as well for certain events. Quite possibly the number of patrons that might utilize an ATM at Dino/Colts/high school games is the reason as the number of fans in the stands usually number 3,500 or even quite a bit less than that.

C_Dave45
11-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by wildrice
theres a whole bunch of places that are cash only and still hugely successful.
see ya, i'm sure they won't miss out on your business.
I'm sure there is. Good for them. No sweat of my balls. :dunno:

As for the Mustangs...I spent money at Tims, brought that back, waited til the second period and strolled in for free. How's that "cash only" workin for ya?! :thumbsup: They just lost out $30-40 for the sake of pennies. Great business model.

wildrice
11-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

I'm sure there is. Good for them. No sweat of my balls. :dunno:

As for the Mustangs...I spent money at Tims, brought that back, waited til the second period and strolled in for free. How's that "cash only" workin for ya?! :thumbsup: They just lost out $30-40 for the sake of pennies. Great business model.

so you got in for free by showing up later...how is that relevant to your argument against business' who are cash only?

C_Dave45
11-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by wildrice

so you got in for free by showing up later...how is that relevant to your argument against business' who are cash only?
Do you really need me to explain it for you?? You can't figure it out from the thread?

Let me explain (read slowly)

I show up to watch a game.
No ATM or debit machine: I can't get in.
If they had HAD either...I would have spent $30-40 towards their business.
Instead they got nothing.

wildrice
11-09-2016, 10:40 PM

Do you really need me to explain it for you?? You can't figure it out from the thread?

Let me explain (read slowly)

I show up to watch a game.
No ATM or debit machine: I can't get in.
If they had HAD either...I would have spent $30-40 towards their business.
Instead they got nothing.

I'm sure if their cash only model was really affecting their revenue, they would do something about it. :dunno:

rx7boi
11-09-2016, 11:45 PM
:rofl:

Don't carry cash
Whine about it
Sneak into event and justify it
???
Profit 1000x

C_Dave45
11-10-2016, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by rx7boi
:rofl:

Don't carry cash
Whine about it
Sneak into event and justify it
???
Profit 1000x
Who snuck in? Did someone sneak in? I must've missed that.
It's okay if you want to speculate about an event that you've never even been to.

acedia
11-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Why not just keep a couple $20 bills in your wallet? I've been screwed over enough times at stores where the debit machine won't work, that I always make sure I've got some cash on me.

riander5
11-10-2016, 11:54 AM
Is this thread worthy? Cant you just rant about this to your wife and move on?? Head down to the deans office and put a formal complaint in while you are at it

https://s12.postimg.org/lyvc3ah8t/grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud10.jpg

spike98
11-10-2016, 12:06 PM
I never carry cash. Ever.

So a business with a half a million dollars annual budget can't afford a debit machine? Every two-bit kiosk selling $10 dollar sunglasses seems to have no problem.

:dunno:

I bet there's either an ATM near, or a debit machine for admission though right?

Oh heck yes there is. Debit/MC/Visa for movie tickets, cash only for concession. ATM right be side for a $3.50 fee.

Swank
11-10-2016, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by speedog

It does need to be noted that for the Flames to accept debit/credit in the concession stands would mean running cables all over the place ... Not with the cellular debit machines, just need electricity for the base to charge them.

C_Dave45
11-10-2016, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by riander5
Is this thread worthy? Cant you just rant about this to your wife and move on?? Head down to the deans office and put a formal complaint in while you are at it

https://s12.postimg.org/lyvc3ah8t/grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud10.jpg

http://www.aroundthegeek.com/ATG/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/f5ff8bbf2baedef02048f6de48f8b821ad10334a9747e5bf630d78775c0dd61f.jpg

Originally posted by spike98

Oh heck yes there is. Debit/MC/Visa for movie tickets, cash only for concession. ATM right be side for a $3.50 fee.

So nothing at all like the situation I'm talking about? :nut: :rofl:

Seth1968
11-10-2016, 02:11 PM
I WAS aware of it, but in my defense it was almost 2 years ago. What establishment operates with NO debit machine or even an ATM nearby in today's world?!!

Went to go watch the Mustangs play the Canucks up at the University tonight. No Debit Machine Nor ATM. CASH only.

WTF?!!! Still?! SEE YA!

That is all.

Call em' up and ask.

The reply would be thread worthy.

max_boost
11-10-2016, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by riander5

https://s12.postimg.org/lyvc3ah8t/grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud10.jpg the speeddog effect

Sugarphreak
11-11-2016, 12:09 PM

C_Dave45
11-11-2016, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Usually this

Anyplace that strictly deals with cash is probably run by somebody skimming the business and making enough tax free money off of that to make up for the small amount of lost business of not having a debit machine.

Yeah, pretty hard for this to be the case with this organization. Multiple people inside the ticket office.
Tickets given out (receipts)
Attendance numbers reported and kept on file on multiple databases.

They're a struggling franchise. Poor performance, poor attendance, no one in charge (or fairly new) of PR and media so very little media presence. So it's a safe bet that they've just been going along with the status quo for years and haven't bothered to look into even a wireless POS machine. Having an ATM machine on site is probably the University's call and not the hockey club's.

They had one years ago, and it got broken into/stolen, so they've never replaced it. Pretty sure having an ATM garners revenue, ($3.00 per transaction x 200-300 people?!!) so I don't see why they haven't. I've talked to some bars who say they sometimes make more money on their machines than they do on sales.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Had to go to a TD branch to avoid ATM fees... it was a long walk, and on the way I changed my mind on buying it. Lost business for them in the end.

Exactly my point!

speedog
11-11-2016, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
the speeddog effect

Who's speeddog?

speedog
11-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Swank
Not with the cellular debit machines, just need electricity for the base to charge them.

Well, electricity would be another problem.

J-hop
11-11-2016, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Swank
Not with the cellular debit machines, just need electricity for the base to charge them.

This, not accepting at least debit is simply not acceptable anymore.

Visa sure, I always pay the guy in the family run corner store by my work in cash or debit because visa eats into his already small profit. But dealing in cash is archaic. Cash needs to go the way of the dinosaur it's a waste of money to even print/mint it.

r3ccOs
11-11-2016, 10:40 PM
the only reason why cash is around is not about convenience, but truely either to evade taxes or for laundering.

I know it sounds sinister, however in this modern developed era, if you were to think about it... the only reason why cash is around is because there is little to no recourse.

if you want to prevent people from "screwing" the government, or more like enable people to be screwed by the government (based on perspective)

get rid of cash currency

by doing so, with all the patterns of AML and KYC technologies, it is extremely easy to catch laundering, and honestly other than gold/jewelry no other real commodity of barter, you will reduce "crime" overall or force everyone to bitcoin

I'm not saying this should be done, but could be

speedog
11-11-2016, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

This, not accepting at least debit is simply not acceptable anymore.

Visa sure, I always pay the guy in the family run corner store by my work in cash or debit because visa eats into his already small profit. But dealing in cash is archaic. Cash needs to go the way of the dinosaur it's a waste of money to even print/mint it.

Actually debit and cash transactions have costs as well, debit has fees and depositing cash at the bank isn't done for free either. Debit and cash are still the most economical choice for most retailers though.

J-hop
11-12-2016, 11:46 PM

Actually debit and cash transactions have costs as well, debit has fees and depositing cash at the bank isn't done for free either. Debit and cash are still the most economical choice for most retailers though.

And your last sentence is exactly why I stated I try to use cash or debit..............................

speedog
11-13-2016, 08:32 AM
On a side note, I volunteered at both the Dino's and high school final football games yesterday and the Flames had to ATM's set up inside of the stadium. Fist time I can recall that for this level of football but it did show that someone was listening.

dandia89
11-14-2016, 11:41 AM
On a side note, I volunteered at both the Dino's and high school final football games yesterday and the Flames had to ATM's set up inside of the stadium. Fist time I can recall that for this level of football but it did show that someone was listening.

high school games is like $5 entry and it's only for playoffs now, the rest of the season is free. People shouldn't be expecting debit transactions for that. I'm glad they had an ATM

mr2mike
11-25-2016, 05:52 PM
I've been stuck at a Mustang's game with the same. No cash and had to scrounge some out of my car. Annoying for sure.

I get the hassle. It's not like Tim's is next door either. There's nowhere close to get change.