PDA

View Full Version : Small Business Owners - How much does your website matter?

ExtraSlow
11-14-2016, 10:14 AM
So, I know Beyond has quite a few small business owners on it. I'd like your opinion. For a business that performs sales in a face-to-face manner strictly to local clients, how important is your website?

I have a website, but it's extremely basic. I know there is a lot more that could be done with it, including SEO, multimedia content etc, but I'm not sure of the value of these.

Does a full-featured website help drive in-person meetings by presenting an air of legitimacy and professionalism, or do you feel that "analog" methods are providing sufficient expose for your business?

I've asked this question to some beyonders already, so hopefully they won't be insulted that I'm seeking further opinions.

HiTempguy1
11-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Would rather have an active, properly managed Facebook page than a website. Can handle most functions a website can.

Facebook is also "free". Clients can easily get a hold of me there. Easy to actively generate interest and push your business out to the ether if people like and share your stuff.

I am definitely in the "important" section of your poll for a website, but that's because of what you say after it. Its not very important relative to where my business is currently at.

At the end of the day, Facebook is an online version "word of mouth". Word of mouth is direct advertising to clients who need your services, the best kind of advertising IMO.

Kloubek
11-14-2016, 10:51 AM
It is pretty damn important, in today's age.

To many, it is the equivalent of a business having a sign. Customers expect it, and if you don't have it, then they wonder why not. Are you a fly by night operation would be the first question that comes to mind.

I am not sure where you find your customers. If you have no interest in gaining customers through Google, then the SEO and everything is less important, as long as you are submitted and your site is the first thing that comes up when someone Googles the name of your company. It is important to also be registered as a business with Google so you have a Google presence. (Address, hours, opportunity for reviews, etc)

How complicated the site is really depends on its purpose. If you don't expect to gain customers from the internet, then all you really need is a blurb and contact information. But with all the tools available today in creating a free website, I don't see why you wouldn't put some effort into it. Keep in mind that any customer who is viewing you via the web will realize if you half-assed your site, and will wonder if you will half ass your service as well.

Type_S1
11-14-2016, 10:56 AM
I think in today's world your website is the most important marketing/sales tool a business can have. A strong website brings legitimacy to a business. When I need a product or service in Calgary I look use google and funnel through the first or second page to find who appears to be the best. If you don't rank on the top page of google for your business you are doing something seriously wrong. Even if you are ranked high on google, when I go to a website and it looks poorly put together I immediately move on to the next business. Why would I give someone business if they don't put a few thousand into making themselves look professional online? Will they take the same lazy & cheap approach to whatever I need from them?

I wouldn't go with HiTemp's advice above either. I have never once searched for a business on facebook. Sometimes when a business has a link on their website to a facebook page I'll jump over to look at pictures/reviews but would never use the facebook search engine for a business.

Use an SEO firm in Calgary to build and optimize your site for $2k and it will pay back ten-fold. It's a one time investment.

C_Dave45
11-14-2016, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Would rather have an active, properly managed Facebook page than a website. Can handle most functions a website can.

Facebook is also "free". Clients can easily get a hold of me there. Easy to actively generate interest and push your business out to the ether if people like and share your stuff.

I am definitely in the "important" section of your poll for a website, but that's because of what you say after it. Its not very important relative to where my business is currently at.

At the end of the day, Facebook is an online version "word of mouth". Word of mouth is direct advertising to clients who need your services, the best kind of advertising IMO.

I have both. I find having a legit website with domain makes me look a little more professional than the next guy with JUST a Facebook page. But I like Facebook because I can relate to my clients more. Update with recent photos, have them comment on them, ask questions etc. When a new client finds me, I direct them to my Website. It's more static, has more description about me and my company.

Having both seems to result in easier searching for my clients. Almost all new clients are from one or the other.

jwslam
11-14-2016, 11:37 AM
Website > No Website

Fancy website > Simple Website

Simple website that has all the pertinent information and functions properly >>>> fancy website with broken links, impossible to find information, etc.

As stated before, having a facebook page as the main website has a few advantages
-Standard layout of information for contact info, address, etc.
-Familiar layout for many users
-Communication tool for potential customers; can send emails or chat messages so you choose
-Can boost clientele by boosting likes; for example, if John likes your business page, it shows up on John's friend's newsfeed and can grab interest.
-"free" website host and image server
-etc

HiTempguy1
11-14-2016, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

I wouldn't go with HiTemp's advice above either. I have never once searched for a business on facebook....

I never said anything about searching. I'd much rather have a company recommended to me by people I know than by google giving me the best SEO website available. Depending on your clientele and your company's focus, its not either or. For a business starting out, Facebook is a better investment. That's my opinion, you don't have to like it, but I'm doing very well following my approach, so I guess I'll keep doing it. He asked for opinions, I gave mine.

Originally posted by Type_S1

Use an SEO firm in Calgary to build and optimize your site for $2k and it will pay back ten-fold. It's a one time investment.

Wut? Hosting costs, site upkeep. You do realize that having an OUT OF DATE site is way worse than having a site at all, right? When I go to a site that doesn't look likes its been updated in a year, or info is out of date, that looks WAY worse than not having a site. Its all about perception. And it is all about your prospective customers, different market segments require different approaches.

Originally posted by C_Dave45

I have both. I find having a legit website with domain makes me look a little more professional than the next guy with JUST a Facebook page. But I like Facebook because I can relate to my clients more. Update with recent photos, have them comment on them, ask questions etc. When a new client finds me, I direct them to my Website. It's more static, has more description about me and my company.

Having both seems to result in easier searching for my clients. Almost all new clients are from one or the other.

I think we are in complete agreement, you have the ideal setup it sounds like. I'm looking at this from a new company perspective that is ran by a sole proprietor. From a growth and marketing perspective, Facebook (as a sole proprietor) is worth way more to me. If I was someone with $$$$ to bankroll my startup, maybe working in conjunction with another owner of the company, of course I'd have a website. Its something I actively have on the "want, not need" list and its near the top.

Allocation of funds is important when starting any business. I am sure you have talked to A790, and I am sure what he has said is correct, but as with anything in life, he does have bias. Throwing $2k to the wind without actually thinking through whether it gets you that money back in a year isn't a good decision when starting up a business.

I'm also very risk-averse with my business strategy :dunno: But considering how many businesses fail, that seems to be the prudent route.

Again, this is all just based on my personal experiences. Extra asked for advice, I'm giving it to him based on the past 2 years of my life. YMMV.

Type_S1
11-14-2016, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Wut? Hosting costs, site upkeep. You do realize that having an OUT OF DATE site is way worse than having a site at all, right? When I go to a site that doesn't look likes its been updated in a year, or info is out of date, that looks WAY worse than not having a site. Its all about perception. And it is all about your prospective customers, different market segments require different approaches.

When you hire a company to set up a proper website the good ones will allow the user (C_Dave) to update photo's and basic information as necessary. Wesbite's don't just go "out of date" like groceries man...unless the business is changing contact information and things regularly you are just fine. Not having a proper website and SEO is just blatant laziness and poor business.

I've been involved in quite a few small businesses/start-up's and we use an SEO guy out of Calgary. He does an awesome job and the websites all get a ton of traffic based simply on being ranked on the first page of google. Customer feedback often will show that they were directed to you via your website as well. I dunno...I thought basic business knowledge was that you need a strong online presence for today's consumer. This is a strong theme in business books & academics now.

revelations
11-14-2016, 01:24 PM
If you're trying to drive business FROM the website, absolutely go all in with social media plug ins, updates and limited SEO (many SEO shops over promise and under-deliver). Having your page ranked #1 and then having 95% of the visits being out of the country, mean fuck all to a local business - except that the SEO company will claim "thousands of hits" and charge you up the ass for it.

Having vehicle logos will do a lot more than a website for advertising IMO - esp. if you drive a lot in the city.

But if you're just trying to give a face to a company, I wouldnt bother too much with spending tons of cash.

For eg. most of my business is word of mouth and has worked very well that way. Essentially you just want something (good) to come up on a Google search of your name or business. A free social media account (that has been setup) would be fine.

A790
11-14-2016, 01:53 PM
Holy cow there is a ton of... interesting... information in this thread.

I'll stay out of the convo since I build websites for conversion/SEO/PPC purposes, but I will say this:

Website built for conversion > Fancy Website > Simple website.

Don't ever get a fancy website because you think it will sell more. It will do a lot from a branding perspective, but it's not more likely to convert compared to a well done, simple site.

ExtraSlow
11-14-2016, 01:53 PM
For my particular business, I'm not selling anything through the website, so hits from other geographic regions are worth $0 to me.
I'm selling a service, with a focus on the local Calgary market.

A790
11-14-2016, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
For my particular business, I'm not selling anything through the website, so hits from other geographic regions are worth $0 to me.
I'm selling a service, with a focus on the local Calgary market.
You are unlikely to get traffic from other geo's unless the other geo's don't have local results that meet the user's search intent.

The days of getting traffic from Toronto for keywords like "roof repair" are over. Google released a series of updates over the last few years that have addressed that and them some. You can see this in action by typing in something like "car repair" or "coffee shop"- the results will all be localized.

For your business, a simple Wix-style site is more than sufficient. If you've got time and the interest, you can build it yourself and do a good job for like $20/mo or something.

If you're ever interested in doing SEO, make sure the site has a blog function built in :)

ExtraSlow
11-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Thanks Cam. You know I value your insight on this topic.

Just for reference, if someone searches on google for my company name (from Calgary), first hit is my company website, second is my company's linkedin page, and third is my personal linkedin page. So it's not like I'm hard to find. I have been getting some sales referrals though LinkedIn pretty successfully.

I'm running this whole thing on basically zero money right now, hence the total focus on low expenses.

Thanks to everyone for the insights. I'm learning all this as I go along.

blindsight
11-14-2016, 03:01 PM

jwslam
11-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Thanks Cam. You know I value your insight on this topic.

Just for reference, if someone searches on google for my company name (from Calgary), first hit is my company website, second is my company's linkedin page, and third is my personal linkedin page. So it's not like I'm hard to find. I have been getting some sales referrals though LinkedIn pretty successfully.

I'm running this whole thing on basically zero money right now, hence the total focus on low expenses.

Thanks to everyone for the insights. I'm learning all this as I go along.
Is that on your own computer or someone elses? Have you tried the same search in in-cognito mode? What about with VPN?

Searches are optimized based on your computer's cookies, your previous searches if you've logged into google, location, etc.

ExtraSlow
11-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Is that on your own computer or someone elses? Have you tried the same search in in-cognito mode? What about with VPN?

Searches are optimized based on your computer's cookies, your previous searches if you've logged into google, location, etc. Good call. This was a search done by a friends co-worker who has never searched for my company and who works in a different industry. It's as fair of a test as I know how to do.

I know my personal google search results pretty much always put my content at or near the top.

C_Dave45
11-14-2016, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by A790

Website built for conversion > Fancy Website > Simple website.

Don't ever get a fancy website because you think it will sell more. It will do a lot from a branding perspective, but it's not more likely to convert compared to a well done, simple site.

This has worked for me. I get a lot of compliments on my website, (which was done by Cam at a more-than-reasonable cost) and it has all the info I want my clients to see. I get a lot of emails and phone calls from it.

Originally posted by jwslam

Searches are optimized based on your computer's cookies, your previous searches if you've logged into google, location, etc.

I often get calls and emails from SEO companies hoping to get my business (as well as the ever annoying phone call from 411.ca in Toronto) saying I need optimization. I just did a search in incognito mode for a general "tile contractor" and my name is 4th from the top. I'm good with that as far as SEO goes.

AndyL
11-14-2016, 03:41 PM
My humble opinion...

Extremely vital. Cam did mine basic with a blog and gallery. Gallery was 1/2 for beyond and GJ truthfully (linking back to blog instead of my photo bucket for pictures - was an SEO goldmine). Not sure of that still applies.

The blogs the important part - if I got 2-3 posts a week, even smallish 5 minute ones - I could keep top 5 results in a crowded search. And it was often those small posts with some less carefully chosen words that got the traffic (Opener light blinking > operator trouble codes).

That said - FB links were great, the nicer better blog posts got shared there, occasional good links that crossed my feed... Nobody shares your webpage - they will share your Facebook page to a friend's Facebook when they make a post about needing something. Also some semi relevant but fun posts can really boost your FB and profile, I had shared a few galleries of car show pictures, just stuff I snapped at some random shows - sharing that on the business page was the first time by accident. It got some good customers just by some random friend shares.

NoPulp
11-14-2016, 03:48 PM
I think a website is very important.

If I'm looking for a service/good that I'm not already familiar with I go to google. If a website doesn't give me a good first impression I simply go to the next link. Facebook pages are useful to reach people, but to me it doesn't give me a professional feeling if you don't have a real website too.

I find it interesting in your usage and experience with linkedin. I have it, but personally do not like the platform and haven't found it useful to me.

A790
11-14-2016, 03:48 PM

This has worked for me. I get a lot of compliments on my website, (which was done by Cam at a more-than-reasonable cost) and it has all the info I want my clients to see. I get a lot of emails and phone calls from it.

You ever going to e-mail me the pics for your other featured galleries? :rofl:

A790
11-14-2016, 03:50 PM
One thing I want to remind people re: Facebook: you have to pay to get your posts seen by your audience. Organic visibility (non-paid) is dismal.

NoPulp
11-14-2016, 03:54 PM
I've had organic facebook posts do very well, but yes generally paid is much much better. I've tossed a few dollars at my page and once you figure out how it works it can be very effective with little money.

CompletelyNumb
11-14-2016, 04:44 PM
I just did a search in incognito mode for a general "tile contractor" and my name is 4th from the top. I'm good with that as far as SEO goes.

Fyi, I'm not seeing the proper meta data for your site in your listing... screenshot attached to post

A790
11-14-2016, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Fyi, I'm not seeing the proper meta data for your site in your listing... screenshot attached to post
That's weird. Should be fixed now but will take Google a couple of days to reindex.

C_Dave45
11-14-2016, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

Ah, that's for my Asian clientele! :rofl:

I saw that...dunno what it is/was. Both website and Facebook page show up there at least...I'm satisfied.

cycosis
11-14-2016, 06:05 PM
For me a website is crucial as I also sell a ton of items that require a ton of research for expecting couples. I still cant figure out a proper SEO strategy though.

Just cant seem to find a good fit for the type of business that I am.

Facebook has also been excellent for me as a marketing channel (paid). Still working on launching our instagram....

revelations
11-14-2016, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by A790

You are unlikely to get traffic from other geo's unless the other geo's don't have local results that meet the user's search intent.

The days of getting traffic from Toronto for keywords like "roof repair" are over. Google released a series of updates over the last few years that have addressed that and them some. You can see this in action by typing in something like "car repair" or "coffee shop"- the results will all be localized.

Although I wasnt involved with the SEO for one of my local smal business clients, last year at this time they asked me to check what was happening with their site as they apparently didnt trust the SEO people for delivering on their promises. Something like 400$ a month they were spending.

Turns out 80% of their web traffic was from Russia or the US, maybe 1% from Calgary.

They cancelled their SEO (I was going to send them your way Cam, but they were quite disillusioned) and we switched them to paid FB local advertising.

A790
11-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Although I wasnt involved with the SEO for one of my local smal business clients, last year at this time they asked me to check what was happening with their site as they apparently didnt trust the SEO people for delivering on their promises. Something like 400$ a month they were spending.

Turns out 80% of their web traffic was from Russia or the US, maybe 1% from Calgary.

They cancelled their SEO (I was going to send them your way Cam, but they were quite disillusioned) and we switched them to paid FB local advertising.
SEO is a great solution but it isn't always the right solution.

One bad thing about the SEO industry: it's full of crooks. Every small business owner I talk to has been burned by at least one. :(