PDA

View Full Version : Smashed Sunroof - Advice

swak
11-15-2016, 11:48 PM
So driving today on hwy 2 had a rock come off a gravel truck in front of me and smash out sunroof.

Has anyone had any luck contacting companies to have damages paid out from rocks etc? Or any luck going through these companies insurance companies?

Kinda a shitty situation right now haha rocking a loaner vehicle from dealer and they are estimating 4k in damages approxfrom parts guy worst case scenario (assuming rail on sunroof track is messed up now too).

Anyone have any experience with anything of the like?

High403
11-16-2016, 12:15 AM
If you are trying to go after these trucking companies they will tell you to pound sand. I have had customers try before and they end up going through their own insurance. This will only be covered through your insurance if you have glass coverage on your policy otherwise you are SOL. It happens all the time especially if you talk to the service department at the dealership. Glass coverage (SEF 13D) is a must with newer vehicles with sunroofs or panoramic roofs due to the costs. Good luck with the repair.

M.alex
11-16-2016, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by High403
If you are trying to go after these trucking companies they will tell you to pound sand. I have had customers try before and they end up going through their own insurance.

definitely this.

I wasted soooooooooo much time trying to go after a f*king gravel truck that destroyed my windshield. It is such a waste of time, nobody will help you, etc...

I had the company, ASGA #, everything you could think of and got absolutely nowhere with it.

roopi
11-16-2016, 10:37 AM
What kind of vehicle is this that it is 4k to repair the sunroof?

D'z Nutz
11-16-2016, 10:52 AM
So not only will they will tell you to pound sand, it sounds like they also have the means to provide you with it to do so.

Seth1968
11-16-2016, 11:06 AM
Obviously there's no way to prove responsibility, but I'm wondering how could something like this have occurred? I mean, often you'll see the rock hit the grill or windshield, but it's hard to imagine a large enough rock vertically hitting the sunroof and smashing it.

Not trying to doubt your story OP, just curious.

Masked Bandit
11-16-2016, 11:08 AM
if you talk to the service department at the dealership. Glass coverage (SEF 13D) is a must with newer vehicles with sunroofs or panoramic roofs due to the costs. Good luck with the repair.

Careful, the 13D is what REMOVES glass coverage from the comprehensive portion of your policy. If you see a 13D on your policy it means you do not have glass.

Xtrema
11-16-2016, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Obviously there's no way to prove responsibility, but I'm wondering how could something like this have occurred? I mean, often you'll see the rock hit the grill or windshield, but it's hard to imagine a large enough rock vertically hitting the sunroof and smashing it.

Not trying to doubt your story OP, just curious.

What comes up must come down. Eventually, you get lucky.

ExtraSlow
11-16-2016, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by roopi
The new F150's are pretty expensive.
http://www.fordf150blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2016-Ford-F-150-Panoramic-Sunroof-900x675.jpg

EK 2.0
11-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Toyota Highlanders, and Venzas, will all get up there in price to replace once you get all the labour charged out for cleaning up the shards...on top of the price of the mechanical parts...

Rocket1k78
11-16-2016, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I thought he was just messing around at first but it sounds like he's serious:nut:

Without actual proof i would tell anyone to pound sand too if they said a rock came from my car and broke their windshield.

High403
11-16-2016, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Careful, the 13D is what REMOVES glass coverage from the comprehensive portion of your policy. If you see a 13D on your policy it means you do not have glass.

Sorry, thank you for correcting me. It was late when I wrote that lol.

Panoramic roofs on most vehicles I've seen average about $3000-$4000 just for parts. Labor to change out sunroofs are about 8+ hours. Also with glass coverage, the claim is comprehensive so your premiums do not increase with a glass claim.

Crazyjoker77
11-16-2016, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78

I thought he was just messing around at first but it sounds like he's serious:nut:

Without actual proof i would tell anyone to pound sand too if they said a rock came from my car and broke their windshield.

Even with proof they are not liable for your broken glass. Its considered by police and insurance as a "peril of the road"(in alberta anyway) the only exception to this is if you can prove it was because of their gross negligence. ie an uncovered load or doing a burnout.

That being said Recently had a coworker who had a oil/tar truck merge infront of him and cover his front end of his mini cooper in tar. I told him he was SOL but he called the company and they owned up and had him in for a detailing the next day on their dime. He had no evidence whatsoever other than getting the company name and knowing the location and time it happened.

So i guess its worth calling and seeing but if there not willing to cooperate your pretty much SOL

acedia
11-16-2016, 12:17 PM
This is why some people keep hammers under their seat and burn the company's name into their mind forever.

max_boost
11-16-2016, 12:24 PM
holy crap. that's nuts.

mzdspd
11-16-2016, 12:25 PM
I have known two people that had windshields and other damage done by trucks.. both of them had the company pay for it.

One had a hammer fall off of a cement truck and the hammer hit the hood and bounced up above the roof. So it had a huge dent where the hammer hit. Was paid for by the company.

mr2mike
11-16-2016, 01:18 PM
I thought people just blackvue cam these and post to youtube and pay for the damage through the ad revenue?

Sucks and it happens all too often.

$4K isn't much for a sunroof. Need to drop headliner to get at it and replace.
Which usually means dropping the pillar covers around the interior which is a pain.

Axe
11-16-2016, 01:26 PM
Had it happen to us last summer by radium; logging truck turning onto highway through a rock and it landed on our pano sunroof shattering the back panel - 2014 highlander - We did not have that coverage and cost was around $3k to replace (replaced just the one panel).

Did not even get license on plate. Freaked kids out sitting in the back seat (rightly so) and we pulled over asap - was worried the glass would start falling on their laps...fortunately had a roll of duct tape and that held the glass together until we could get ir replaced.

That was a fixed panel; had it been the sliding one it may have cost more to replace (according to shop that replaced it).

max_boost
11-16-2016, 01:38 PM
how often does this happen? i didn't even know it was a thing until the exploding sunroof years ago?

next car no sunroof lol :rofl:

Dave P
11-16-2016, 01:49 PM

For clarification:

No. 13C – Comprehensive Cover – Deletion of Glass Endorsement
This endorsement reduces the coverage afforded by Comprehensive by deleting loss or damage to glass unless such loss or
damage is caused by named perils. Insureds may request this endorsement in order to reduce their premium. This endorsement is not applicable in Alberta. (Put in as its referenced in 13d)

No. 13D – Comprehensive Cover – Limited Glass (Alberta Only)
This endorsement is similar to the 13C except that loss or damage caused by vandalism other than the front window is
covered.

Seth1968
11-16-2016, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

INDEED.

It reminds me of lotto players that have lost thousands but claim a victory in winning a free ticket here and there.

Please describe the physics that would result in a blown sunroof.

roopi
11-16-2016, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

next car no sunroof lol :rofl:

I'm with you on this. I never use it and don't want to risk paying for one now. :rofl:

Zero102
11-16-2016, 04:29 PM

Do not have glass coverage at all or just the windshield is not covered? The section posted by Dave P seems to indicate only the windshield is not covered.

Masked Bandit
11-16-2016, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

Do not have glass coverage at all or just the windshield is not covered? The section posted by Dave P seems to indicate only the windshield is not covered.

Vandalism to any of the glass except windshield is still covered (i.e., someone smashes in the side window to gain access to your vehicle). However all glass is excluded for things like rock & such.

Crazyjoker77
11-16-2016, 05:46 PM
So what code that has to be on your policy that says you DO have glass coverage or is it as long as it doesn't show the 13c or d that you are fully covered?

Minimalist
11-16-2016, 08:38 PM
Does 3M-ing the sunroof protect it from rocks?

roopi
11-16-2016, 10:26 PM

Vandalism to any of the glass except windshield is still covered (i.e., someone smashes in the side window to gain access to your vehicle). However all glass is excluded for things like rock & such.

So if someone broke my sunroof to gain access it would be covered?

dirtsniffer
11-16-2016, 11:01 PM
Good to know. Lie about the circumstances lol.

dirtsniffer
11-16-2016, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

INDEED.

It reminds me of lotto players that have lost thousands but claim a victory in winning a free ticket here and there.

Please describe the physics that would result in a blown sunroof.

This isn't uncommon. You sound ignorant, even by your standards.

Masked Bandit
11-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77
So what code that has to be on your policy that says you DO have glass coverage or is it as long as it doesn't show the 13c or d that you are fully covered?

13C isn't used in Alberta. To have glass coverage you don't want to see the 13D on your policy. Glass is part of the comprehensive section of your policy and it's the 13D endorsement that deletes the glass.

So if someone broke my sunroof to gain access it would be covered?

In theory, yes. Convincing the adjuster that a thief went through your roof instead of a side window might be a bit of a challenge though.

Squishy
11-17-2016, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Minimalist
Does 3M-ing the sunroof protect it from rocks?
Yes this is supposed to help protect the glass. We've done it for some of our customers. Same customer had their sunroof blow out twice and finally they decided to get 3M put on the glass afterwards.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-17-2016, 01:40 PM

MK7 GTI

mr2mike
11-17-2016, 01:56 PM
Lesson learned. Tailgate and the rocks fly over your car not onto it.

swak
11-17-2016, 03:40 PM
Ugh... not too promising reading the posts haha.
Dealing with insurance at the moment though.

'15 GTI, VW says the rails are bent too from force coming down (makes sense), $4800 quoted just in parts...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154266579733386&set=a.57290753385.70013.503373385&type=3

jwslam
11-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by swak
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154266579733386&set=a.57290753385.70013.503373385&type=3
Gotta set the permissions to public, otherwise will you be my facebook friend? :love: :love:

The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

swak
11-17-2016, 04:06 PM
Image.

mzdspd
11-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Rock must have deflected off of the roof rails?? That is rough. Hopefully your visor was closed when it went thru the glass.

Xtrema
11-17-2016, 08:46 PM
Note to self: remove 13D from policy before roads get sanded.

skandalouz_08
11-17-2016, 10:34 PM
I had the same thing happen to my BMW 330i. I ended up going through Euroworks who sourced a piece of glass from a crashed beamer in Sask and had it shipped in and replaced. Ended up costing half as much as the dealership quoted me. Believe it was a $1000 all in.

J-hop
11-23-2016, 10:38 PM
Any luck with insurance?

swak
11-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
Any luck with insurance?

Been a slow process, had some phone calls, nothing yet... will keep ya posted!

swak
12-06-2016, 06:29 PM
UPDATE:

So comprehensive insurance covers this... so long as you have glass coverage... It apparently was my lucky move to change insurance (my old insurance didn't have glass coverage (RBC)), and i only changed insurers less than a month prior.
I was told without glass coverage I would be SOL.

So.... $250 deductible, and got er fixed at a local VW dealer in Edmonton. They did a good job all in all. Minus the fact that they charged my insurance company $160 for glass cleanup, and was picking pieces of glass off my seat when i picked my car up.... Didn't notice until i got home, otherwise would have mentioned something to the service dep't.

... waiting on hearing from the other party's insurance to see if they will cover my costs, and refund my deductible.

EDIT: total cost, $2500

J-hop
12-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Awesome to hear man!

ricosuave
12-06-2016, 11:22 PM
UPDATE:

So comprehensive insurance covers this... so long as you have glass coverage... It apparently was my lucky move to change insurance (my old insurance didn't have glass coverage (RBC)), and i only changed insurers less than a month prior.
I was told without glass coverage I would be SOL.

So.... $250 deductible, and got er fixed at a local VW dealer in Edmonton. They did a good job all in all. Minus the fact that they charged my insurance company $160 for glass cleanup, and was picking pieces of glass off my seat when i picked my car up.... Didn't notice until i got home, otherwise would have mentioned something to the service dep't.

... waiting on hearing from the other party's insurance to see if they will cover my costs, and refund my deductible.

EDIT: total cost, $2500

so how is it that some insurance companies will cover this and some wont?

swak
12-06-2016, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by ricosuave

Have you had issues with insurance companies not covering this?

ricosuave
12-07-2016, 11:19 AM
well touchstone is saying that rocks, etc are not covered, like in the case of a cracked windshield due to rocks, whereas acts of vandalism would be

Masked Bandit
12-07-2016, 02:22 PM

Have you had issues with insurance companies not covering this?

well touchstone is saying that rocks, etc are not covered, like in the case of a cracked windshield due to rocks, whereas acts of vandalism would be

It's got nothing to do with one insurance company versus another, it's all based on whether or not you have glass coverage on your particular policy. 99% of the vehicles on the road do NOT have glass coverage. When people think of glass coverage on their insurance they automatically thing of rock chips on the windshield, so most people delete it. Any insurance company CAN cover this, you as the customer just have to be willing to pay for the coverage.

I just ran a test case on my wife's car, 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe with the oversized sunroof. Adding the glass coverage back on is an additional $173 per year, or an extra 25%. How many people out there are going to be interested in spending another $150 - $200 a year PER VEHICLE for this? I can tell you it's almost nobody.

Please also remember that not having glass coverage (13D - Limited Glass endorsement) means things like your side glass is still insured for vandalism / B & E.