PDA

View Full Version : Car starters...looking for a reputable place?

nzwasp
11-17-2016, 10:55 AM
I searched the history and could only find a few threads about some places 10 years ago.

I'm looking to get a car starter installed on my Kia and Toyota.

Chester
11-17-2016, 11:13 AM
Autotech

dirtsniffer
11-17-2016, 11:18 AM
autotemp has a good reputation. I haven't been there in a decade though. But they're still around which says something..

SpeedIllusion
11-17-2016, 11:29 AM
+1 Autotech

Joe does amazing work

Asian_defender
11-17-2016, 11:30 AM
+1 for autotech
Joe is awesome!

nzwasp
11-17-2016, 11:39 AM
Sounds good. Do most ppl just get the basic 1 way? I have no idea regarding prices for this stuff.

jwslam
11-17-2016, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Sounds good. Do most ppl just get the basic 1 way? I have no idea regarding prices for this stuff.
Depends what your needs are.

If I were to install one I'd probably go one way because mostly I'm just starting it in my driveway which I can hear the car turn on. Whereas if you're constantly parking at the end of the lot at work on the back side of the building that you can't see, then 2 way would let you know the car turned on, plus all the security blah blah perks.

I got my Kia done at autodream plus I think they're forum sponsors (were anyways, haven't seen a banner in a while?) :thumbsup:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/325218/autodream-remote-starters/

mzdspd
11-17-2016, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp

Try and stick with a brand name like Compustar. A lot of these budget brand starters go out of business and then when you need a replacement part, the company is not around.

I would go with a Compustar basic 2 way (without the led screen because most people are careless and just break the screens). 2 Way is nice because you can at least tell if your vehicle is running if you are at a mall or something.

Asian_defender
11-17-2016, 12:02 PM
I have the 901. love it
Worked out to be 650......I think

https://www.compustar.com/remote-start-security/prime-901

Compustar all the way. Doesn't matter which model you get. I had a base system in my Civic and after 8 years it still worked like it did on day 1

nzwasp
11-17-2016, 12:13 PM
Are there any security concerns or no because your car is still locked when it is remote started

Projek01
11-17-2016, 12:26 PM
^ a proper install will have a secure key takeover or will shut down when the door is open.

+1 for Joe at Autotech.

mzdspd
11-17-2016, 12:43 PM
Like he said above.. The car will run with the doors locked. If you unlock and get in and push the brake (without a key in ignition or key in proximity with keyless start) the car will shut off.

The car cannot be stolen with it remote started.

SkiBum5.0
11-17-2016, 01:22 PM
A second vote for Autotemp - did my 4Runner and it was well done.

speeed
11-17-2016, 08:09 PM
Just got my unit installed at Autotech. +1 for these guys

max_boost
11-17-2016, 08:24 PM
Nega Joe at AutoTech for sure

RealJimmyJames
11-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Two-way for sure. It's really nice to know that the car started when you can't see it, like when you are coming out of the flames game in February and it's minus eleventy billion. Or just if you park around the corner from your house.

shadowz
11-18-2016, 11:05 AM
Autotech wouldn't go any other way

rvd
11-18-2016, 04:39 PM
All these places are good, call them for quotes to compare.

Autodream
Autotech
Autotemp
Simplystructured
Mobilesolutions
Mobilesounds

tirebob
11-19-2016, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by shadowz
Autotech wouldn't go any other way Agreed 100%! Joe is the man...

dj_rice
11-19-2016, 03:48 PM
I got mine done at Alarmtec many moons ago by Sydney. They moved behind T & T Honda on Morraine road across from Regal Auctions. Asian guy. Paid cash so got a good price. Good deal! I paid $550 for a 2 way Compustar Alarm/Starter combo and they threw in 2 lock actuators as well but this was a good 10 years ago

jltabot
11-19-2016, 11:14 PM
Had two remote starters installed at Autodream on two separate occasions. Pricing is decent for 2-way remote start, keyless entry, and immobilizer bypass. The "beyond discount" is save $10 off the install of their regular seasonal pricing (IIRC it's $490 vs. $500 for a two-way install)

First install went off without a hitch. Still no issues on the unit. 2009 Toyota Matrix

Second install: '13 Mazda 2 GX with basic power locks and power windows. As soon as the car gets into the shop, I receive a call from them telling me their tech couldn't find the power door lock switch to tap the wires for keyless entry. Granted not all vehicles are the same, but all he said was he couldn't find the switch by the driver's side door handle. The switch is actually located between the two front seats. Pretty obvious to me if the tech even bothered to look. Install went fine, then a few days later there's a rattle inside the cabin. I checked it out, pulled some panels and found the pigtail to the T/C disable switch unplugged. Again, not a big deal but shows lack of thoroughness. Another issue,, remote start stops working after a few months. I'm familiar with compustars so I reprogrammed the key to unit. No issues since.

TLDR; autodream has decent pricing, installs are pretty quick (done in about 4 hours), 1 year parts and labor warranty, received a bonus 2-way remote during their promo.

Comparing brands, I much prefer a compustar over a viper. Solid units regardless of model, less wires for cleaner install, better range.

forbiddenera
12-17-2016, 04:16 PM
Calgary also has an on site remote starter/alarm/audio installation company.

Great service and good prices, their website is being redone presently but you can reach them at 587.287.7420

They give near wholesale prices on most systems, I was quoted $540 for Vipers new 4x10 digital system (built in bypass), Visions quoted me over $1000.

I just asked, they will give a Beyond member discount too apparently, up to 10% off! Sounds better than 10 dollars, lol.

They warranty for the lifetime you own the vehicle. Convenient to not have to drop your car off all day!

forbiddenera
12-17-2016, 04:35 PM
I should mention for anyone shopping around just because one place has a 2way for 500 and another has a 2way for 600 does not mean they're even remotely the same system features or functionality wise.

A *lot* of places especially during this time of year will use all their starters and old stock on cars in order to give better prices, the newest remote starters don't require a bypass as it is built in and most newer vehicles are all digital which means if they use an analog remote start with a bypass, the bypass does *all* the work including starting the vehicle and the analog remote start brain only handles the communication with the remote.

The company I mentioned explains all this. They have 2way systems starting under 450, 1way with oem remote for under 350 and full 2way digital with two lcd remotes for under 540. They also have smartphone starting options cheaper than anyone else and specialize in luxury cars that require special starters such as Mercedes and BMW

PM me if you want any more info I am happy to text them and ask for you or you can text the number I posted yourself. Yes, these guys text!

schurchill39
11-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Is Autotech still the preferred vendor?

tonytiger55
11-06-2019, 02:42 PM
I was just about to post a thread on this.
Does anyone have a ballpark idea of the cost to install on a manual transmission vehicle (Honda CRV)..? I got quoted $500 + plus cost of the starter itself.

shadowz
11-06-2019, 02:57 PM
Is Autotech still the preferred vendor?

You know it 403-219-0871 ask for Joe, tell him Nick sent you

silvercivicsir
11-07-2019, 05:02 PM
haha nope. should be the cost of the starter (automatic pricing), plus an extra $50 for manual

ThePenIsMightier
11-08-2019, 08:56 AM
haha nope. should be the cost of the starter (automatic pricing), plus an extra $50 for manual

Wow, that's quite a difference, LoL!

Chester
11-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Autotech, always. Haven't been there for a few years, but still refer people and they're happy.

bigbadboss101
01-01-2020, 06:34 AM
Stopped by Autotech the other day, right near Urban X! Looking forward to the installation.