PDA

View Full Version : Am I Trouble Shooting DishWasher Correctly?

RedDawn
11-18-2016, 10:15 AM
So my dishwasher is being really inconsistent lately. Sometimes dishes come out clean and sometimes they don't. How would I go about finding what the problem is. Googling tells me that I should check the washer arms for plugs but they look unobstructued to me. Is there a chance that the obstruction only occurs when its running? Beyond the washer arms, what else can I check? It's an older dishwasher - around 4 years or so.

roopi
11-18-2016, 10:26 AM
In my old place I never used Jet Dry and would experience inconsistencies. Since I started using it never an issue.

RealJimmyJames
11-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Two things.
1) clean your dishwasher
2) use Finish detergent.

Thaco
11-18-2016, 11:12 AM
try cleaning it with the vinegar method, look it up... also dont use liquid soap, its terrible and leads to so many problems.

also make sure your drain is set up properly, if its not when the dishwasher drains it can create a siphon and take all the water out when the dishwasher thinks the water should be there, so it wont actually do anything.

AndyL
11-18-2016, 03:00 PM
You'll probably have to tear apart the whole bottom of the dishwasher - pull out the screens and filters - scrub and soak them in CLR.

I seem to have to do it about every 3 months.

revelations
11-18-2016, 03:00 PM
I was going to replace my dishwasher... until I switched to those capsule thingys (coming from powder)..... what a difference

Minimalist
11-18-2016, 03:08 PM
All the above is good advice. I'd add a question about your placement of dirty dishes in the dishwasher. My wife is challenged in this area, the dishes come out less clean than when I load the unit. I swear she thinks a washing machine and a dishwasher are pretty much the same appliance.

Use: Finish Quantum Max Shine or Cascade Platinum. Yes, they cost more, it is all that works well in my ten-year-old machine.

lamp_shade_2000
11-18-2016, 03:50 PM
I was having inconsistent results with mine until I realized that my new plates were larger than the old ones. If I put the large plates in a certain spot they would actually prevent the soap compartment door from opening. Might be worth looking at before taking things apart.

suntan
11-18-2016, 04:08 PM
Tell your wife to scrub harder.

Waldi
11-18-2016, 04:11 PM
use vinegar treatment (pour vinegar and then run wash cycle), maybe start using jet finish.

roopi
11-18-2016, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Minimalist
All the above is good advice. I'd add a question about your placement of dirty dishes in the dishwasher. My wife is challenged in this area, the dishes come out less clean than when I load the unit. I swear she thinks a washing machine and a dishwasher are pretty much the same appliance.

Use: Finish Quantum Max Shine or Cascade Platinum. Yes, they cost more, it is all that works well in my ten-year-old machine.

She has successfully managed not to wash the dishes by hand and she doesn't even have to load the dishwasher.

:bullshit: