PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Questions About Smart TVs

Feruk
11-21-2016, 02:54 PM
I'm in the market for a new TV and have never owned a smart TV. However, I don't watch cable at all and rarely use Netflix. I stream everything through a less known website that doesn't have an app or anything. I currently have a computer plugged into my TV and just HDMI everything. Will a Smart TV allow me to stream from said site?

Also, If I plug in my wireless mouse and keyboard directly into smart TV, will it work?

dirtsniffer
11-21-2016, 02:59 PM
you could probably get to the site if the tv has open browsing which it likely does, dunno about the keyboard, I dont think so. For the site, it would only work if the video format is supported, which is possible.

I would get a dumb tv and a media server or the kodi or whatever the kids are using.

revelations
11-21-2016, 03:44 PM
^ ditto. I always tell my clients to look for the best PICTURE QUALITY they can from a TV for their needs.

All the Smart TV apps preloaded are stupid, cumbersome to use and slow. Get a media PC/Box/android/etc. and be free with your existing setup.

Mitsu3000gt
11-21-2016, 03:51 PM
"Dumb" TV + media box is the best way to go in every scenario I have seen if you care about speed, features, customization, reliability, etc.

Escape
11-21-2016, 05:25 PM
Wireless mouse/keyboard work with many TVs with bluetooth/usb ports.

Most smart TVs do have a full web browser. However their pop up blocking/ad blocking is very bad. It could be different for Android TVs if you can install add-ons but I have never tried an Android TV.

It's almost impossible to find dumb TVs today. Even lower end TVs will have smart functionality. Some are implemented better than others. Samsung's Tizen, Sony's Android and LG's webOS work quite nicely

Feruk
11-21-2016, 05:25 PM
What about a "dumb" TV with something like this?

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX62232

It seems like a cool solution, but would I have any issues (ie speed of streaming or quality of graphics)? Looking strictly for streaming, so storage doesn't concern me.

lamp_shade_2000
11-21-2016, 05:53 PM
My advice would be to stick with the computer plugged in. As mentioned above, most SMART TVs will allow you to plug in a wireless mouse and keyboard, however it only works on certain apps. Usually web browser will work fine with the keyboard but the bigger issue is that most TVs do not support flash or struggle with it. Its really not a nice way to browse and watch TV using their browser. I either pull it up on my Samsung phone and mirror to my Samsung TV or hook up a laptop. If you are not using the apps, SMART TVs are not very functional. Problem is that any decent TV these days has SMART features whether you like it or not. For my main TV I have a Samsung SMART TV and use a dedicated media center computer for playback on it. In my bedroom I have another Samsung SMART TV that I use YouTube, Netflix and Plex. If there is anything else I want to display past those apps, I hook up my laptop to it.

I would not use a media box or streamer to run content off of a website either. They usually have the same limitations as the SMART TV. Of course I have not tried all of them so maybe the new android OS or raspberry pie's perform this better.

Kobe
11-21-2016, 06:33 PM
Yah no need for a smart tv just make sure it has a HDMI plug and u can go buy chromecast and sync with your tablet/phone or plug it in directly to your computer...

Or have it have a VGA plugin + 3.5m sound cable but then you need to have a computer around it.

you can buy an older laptop (make sure it has vga or HDMI whichever u use) and just leave it with the lid closed so it doesn't take up space and use the TV as the main screen. then hooked up a wireless mouse and keyboard to it via usb and your set.

I'm not sure if that little box will work (they are slow AF) but if you buy something like this
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX51327

it will work for sure i know since i hooked it up at my moms place before (maybe not this model though) but it has HDMI

jwslam
11-21-2016, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
What about a "dumb" TV with something like this?

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX62232

It seems like a cool solution, but would I have any issues (ie speed of streaming or quality of graphics)? Looking strictly for streaming, so storage doesn't concern me.
I've used one before. The vivostick UI is awful. Also, it needs 2A power so you can't use the USB port off most TV's as they max at 0.5 or 1A

Feruk
11-22-2016, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

I've used one before. The vivostick UI is awful. Also, it needs 2A power so you can't use the USB port off most TV's as they max at 0.5 or 1A
What's wrong with the UI? Says it runs Windows 10?When you say it needs 2A power, does that mean it won't work at all with a TV, or it has to be plugged in on it's own?

I wish I had an old laptop to use, but not the case.

Escape
11-22-2016, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Feruk

What's wrong with the UI? Says it runs Windows 10?When you say it needs 2A power, does that mean it won't work at all with a TV, or it has to be plugged in on it's own?

I wish I had an old laptop to use, but not the case.

Plugged in on its own

sputnik
11-22-2016, 12:52 PM
Get a Sony Android TV and install Kodi onto it.

Done.