PDA

View Full Version : Canadian lens rental options

JC522
11-22-2016, 08:16 PM
Since lensrentalscanada.com shut down, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a place to rent lenses now. Going on a trip and would love to rent a 24-70 just so I wouldn't have to carry my primes around.

NoPulp
11-22-2016, 08:40 PM
I've used lenslenders, good service. They mail you the lens in a nice case, you use it for the agreed duration, you mail it back in the provided bag.

I think they have the 24-70

msommers
11-22-2016, 10:30 PM
The Camera Store and Vistek are really the only ones that come to mind.

We get screwed in Canada. I wish I can access to Borrowlenses

D'z Nutz
11-23-2016, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by msommers
The Camera Store and Vistek are really the only ones that come to mind.

We get screwed in Canada. I wish I can access to Borrowlenses

And nobody should ever give their money to Vistek, so it's really just TCS :thumbsup:

JC522
11-23-2016, 02:36 AM
I remember reading on TCS terms that you can't take the lens traveling with you or leave the country with the rental

Go4Long
11-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by JC522
I remember reading on TCS terms that you can't take the lens traveling with you or leave the country with the rental

Yeah I laughed at that one a bit...stupidest thing I've ever heard.

When I go to the states I tend to use the US company and get it shipped to me there (but I stay with friends for most of my photo trips...not sure I would do that if I was staying at a hotel)

Mitsu3000gt
11-23-2016, 11:27 AM
Canadian lens rental options suck now that Lensrentals had too many issues with theft from postal workers.

Not being able to take the lenses on vacation eliminates most customers (including myself) I would think, that is a huge problem with the TCS rentals unless that has changed recently.

Your best bet is shipping the lens to your location if you are traveling in the USA, but it's not ideal.

Just don't use Vistek.

Go4Long
11-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Why's everyone anti vistek now?

Mitsu3000gt
11-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long
Why's everyone anti vistek now?

It's nothing new, people have been anti-vistek for as long as they have been a garbage place to shop, which has been as long as I can remember and as long as I have been buying photo gear.

Worst prices in town and worst customer service in town (well, maybe Seneal gets that award). Terrible return policy (the main reason I shop at TCS is their return policy), and every member of their staff I have ever dealt with has been bad. An unpleasant experience every single time I have to go in there, which thankfully isn't that often.

msommers
11-23-2016, 02:04 PM
My experience with Vistek up here in Edmonton has been vastly different than in Calgary on the product purchasing side.

When I got my sensor cleaned in Calgary they made sure I was definitely happy with it before leaving.

My rental experience with them has been good so far in both Edmonton and Calgary. The sales side in Calgary has been abysmal every time I've walked foot in there, it's like no one works there!

I've actually never rented anything from TCS because they didn't have what I wanted to rent available on their catalog sheet...

JC522
11-23-2016, 05:17 PM
It's actually for a euro trip, going to greece and amsterdam. That eliminates vistek, TCS and American rentals. Lenslenders looks interesting but they don't offer any insurance on their rentals. I'm always careful with my equipment but there's always the chance of accidents or getting robbed so ideally I would want insurance for my own peace of mind.

And with vistek I never really shopped there but the one time I considered it was when I was looking for an osmo mobile. They had it listed as in stock on their site so I called a few times to verify and no one answered. Drove there only to be told that they didn't actually have it in stock

blitz
11-23-2016, 10:13 PM
Have you thought about buying used and then re-selling afterwards? If you find a decent deal you an just be out shipping costs.

Mitsu3000gt
11-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Or buy new and sell it on the Facebook group used for the same price as a new one :rofl:

NoPulp
11-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Or buy new and sell it on the Facebook group used for the same price as a new one :rofl:
Sell it for MORE than new price *

Mitsu3000gt
11-24-2016, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by NoPulp

Sell it for MORE than new price *

It's true. My bad :rofl:

I was looking at that group again last night and I will always sell my stuff there from now on. People just can't wait to get their hands on grossly overpriced gear.