PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Aerio

colucher
03-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Hello everyone - I am about to buy another car and recently saw a SUZUKI Aerio. That I am really interested in - does anyone have any comments about this car? Does anyone here drive one/own one?

I want to get as much info. on the car before I make my decision.

Ducati
03-20-2004, 04:01 PM
145 hp, AWD availability. Sounds good. l would look very closely at the integrity of the construction, as the various consumer magazines point to this general flimsiness of construction as their greatest drawback. They are a good car, but not a Great car. I would look closely at the basr Subaru Impreza TS perhaps.
The Suzuki is inexpensive, however.

Are you planning to buy or lease? The residual value calculations that leasing companies use is a very good indicator of the anticipated depreciation. The Suzuki has a low residual rate compared to the Subaru, which has a high rate (meanuing that the Subaru will hold more of its value over time and the Aerio is anticipated to depreciate quite rapidly)
In that scanario, the lease payments on the Impreza may be camparable to the AWD version of the Aerio, depending upon the options you chose.

I do know that the predecessor to the Aerio, the Esteem, is a very mediocre car, more on par with a domestic (like a Cav or Sunfire) in terms of build quality. One good friend who bought a 1999 Esteem Wagon is regretting his purchase.

03 aerio
04-08-2004, 09:26 PM
The Aerio is no esteem thats for sure!! mine is great:thumbsup:

1badPT
04-08-2004, 11:25 PM
I can't vouch much for the Aerio, but I'm sure its the same platform (rewrap actually) of the Pontiac Vibe.

If you are looking at wagons, have a look at the Mazda 3 Sport and [shamless plug]the PT Cruiser[/shameless plug]. When I shopped I found the Mazda Protege 5 (the Mazda 3 Sport's predecessor) was a great car and a very close second to what I bought. But if you want AWD, thats not available on either of my suggestions. GL with whatever you choose.

Melinda
04-09-2004, 01:42 AM
My family owns a Aerio and my mom loves it. She says it feels like a bigger civic, only a little more comfortable. I've driven it a bunch and it's a nice ride...no huge guts to it but it's a pretty reliable, feel good car, awesome car for getting around

03 aerio
04-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Ok rewrapped vibe , um no that is the matrix and as far as power goes im working on that since there is a building aftermarket for the aerio you just gotta know where to look but most of it is in the US but Ive already gotten easy stuff like intake(K&N) muffler(HKS) Underdrive pulley (RD) , some poly sport bushings and a ground wire kit. Im waiting on some rims that should be here monday or tuesday too (motegi rt5's) and a strut bar that will be coming pretty quick too. then all im gonna get is probably the rear sway bar and a top spoiler and Ill be good for a while. Here is a pic of my car http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/5/web/317000-317999/317149_11.jpg

Ducati
04-09-2004, 07:36 PM
I am interested in hearing of your experiences with the Aerio over the long run. As a newbie to this forum, you will no doubt have opportinities to post details of the mods you make, and please be objective. If something works out great, then excellent. But if something breaks, post honestly. No car is perfect - not even the ubiquitous Honda.

I will concede that the Aerio is very roomy and would make a great utilitarian vehicle in stock form, and perhaps an excellent autocross car in AWD with tweaks. Its looks are a matter of personal taste, I think.

mo_virgin
04-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Your gonna try to mod your aerio??? i don't know if thats a good idea man
Some Suzuki Motorcycles have more power than it.

03 aerio
04-09-2004, 08:18 PM
whats all this about power , have any of you driven one ?
I guess I am a good person to ask about reliability and the Aerio since I have 105000kms on mine .I had to get the tranny replaced after 80000 kms but I think that was because of the time I got stuck in some heavy clay . It filled my wheelwells to the point I could smell burning rubber It was a major pain to clean that out. But it was easily replaced under warranty and has been great ever since aside from some wear and tear things . If only I could get some of these accessories

Ducati
04-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Power isn't everything to me. Utility is.
If I want power, any motorcycle will do.

The Aerio is inexpensive and has great roominess. It can be had with AWD. It is 145 hp. Thats good enough for a car that is in the top 10 gas misers.

On the negative side, the depreciation is more rapid than other Jap cars (which would make a nice 2 year old a good buy) I know this, as I have a book that lists the lease residual values (as of a year ago) and that is as good a guide of anticipated depreciation as can be found.
Their peculiar looks might alienate some potential buyers.