PDA

View Full Version : Review: Jiffy Lube - The District (Country Hills Blvd and Deerfoot)

spikerS
11-24-2016, 11:38 AM
While I had planned on doing the first oil change on my new 2016 F-150 myself, with the layoffs at work, and how much OT I am having to do, I figured I would stop in and just get it done at a fast lube shop. Normally in the past, I had been going to Country Hills Hyundai as for a full Mobil 1 synthetic oil change, it runs me about $92 for my 3.5L Ecoboost engine, But I knew the Jiffy Lube just opened up, and if memory serves me right, it is owned by a Beyonder, so knowing that, I figured I would send some love his way and try this new shop out.

Pulled up to the bay at about 08:45, and I was the only vehicle there, and I was quickly guided in by the attendant. He was polite and friendly, and liked to chat. He quickly got all the required information, and got to business. As mentioned, this is the first oil change for my truck, and has 10,850KM on it. Truck computer stated 25% oil life left, but this is normally about the time I change it.

I had purchased my own oil filter from Ford and decided to use it now. Like I said, I was going to do my own change, but, needed the convenience of the fast lube shop this time. I gave it to the tech who gave me a $10 credit for the filter.

They use Penzoil there, which disappointed me a bit as I do prefer Mobil 1, but, meh, was a minor thing to me in the grand scheme of things.

The Tech showed me my oil before doing the change. Was definately dark, but, surprisingly, it still looked fairly decent. It wasn't black-black, but still had a bit of a golden hue to it. New engine I guess with no sludge or anything in it yet. He quickly drained the oil and checked my air filter, and offered a jug of washer fluid for $4.99. He also offered to check my tire pressures and lights, but, the truck is still new and I just had my winters installed so, there really wasn't any point, and I check my lights constantly.

He topped off my oil, showed me my oil level again, and then I felt the truck rock a bit as he double checked everything underneath was good and tight again. He also sprayed down the front of my engine where the oil filter is to wash away the spilled oil which I did appreciate, this is the first time I have witnessed a shop do this. Every other time I have had to let the spilled oil from the oil filter drip or burn off over the next few days.

I then got the bill, which came to $107 with the $10 credit for providing my own oil filter. Got my window sticker and off I was on my merry way.

Overall, the experience I had there was pretty positive. The only thing he didn't do, or offer to do, was to reset my oil change life indicator on the dash, but, no biggie, as it is super easy for me to do anyways.

Would I go back? In a pinch, yes. But honestly, the price is a bit high for me. I can go 500m away on the other side of Deerfoot and get the same oil change done with Mobil 1 synthetic (with a bonus car wash thrown in) for about $92 which is roughly $30-35 cheaper than going to Jiffy Lube. Since it really isn't out of my way, and $30 isn't a drop in the bucket, I will continue to use Country Hilly Hyundai or do it myself, but if I don't have the time to do them myself, or if CHH is closed or busy, Jiffy Lube at The District is totally an option.

jwslam
11-24-2016, 12:01 PM
Jiffy Lube at Creekside has a discount code in the computer for 10% off Beyond... Assume the same exists at this location if it's also Beyonder owned.

revelations
11-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
this is the first oil change for my truck, and has 10,850KM on it. Truck computer stated 25% oil life left, but this is normally about the time I change it.

Wait, what? I was under the impression that most new vehicles should have their first oil change within the first 1-2000km.

topsecret
11-24-2016, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the review and feedback! I will talk to Gary (the tech that did your service) and make sure he is in fact asking customers about the oil light! I appreciate you giving my shop a chance, and yes the beyond discount also applies at the new store! (however it can't be used with any other promo that is running) :thumbsup:

bigbadboss101
11-24-2016, 12:43 PM
Unless I go back to the dealer I usually don't worry about the tech resetting the service light. It's hard for a tech to know how to do that for every vehicle.

Break in oil change is arguable.

I do like the $10 off if we bring our own filter though. I have used the Creekside Lube and like the work they do.

Aleks
11-24-2016, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Wait, what? I was under the impression that most new vehicles should have their first oil change within the first 1-2000km.

I've personally never done that on any new car.

It's probably like the whole break-in period thing. Some people think there is no such thing and it's better to drive the vehicle hard right off the lot.

max_boost
11-24-2016, 01:06 PM
I haven't used the quick lube places in a few years but they were definitely more expensive than the dealer. I just liked the convenience of them. Surprised they didn't try to upsell you on anything but then the vehicle is like new.

mzdspd
11-24-2016, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I haven't used the quick lube places in a few years but they were definitely more expensive than the dealer. I just liked the convenience of them. Surprised they didn't try to upsell you on anything but then the vehicle is like new.

They are more expensive but it is so easy to find discounts.. I get 20$ off coupons from certain quick lube places about every 3 months in the mail. Oil change works out for 40$. Can't complain with that for convenience.

topsecret
11-24-2016, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by mzdspd

They are more expensive but it is so easy to find discounts.. I get 20$ off coupons from certain quick lube places about every 3 months in the mail. Oil change works out for 40$. Can't complain with that for convenience.

If you're looking for a inexpensive oil change option like that I am doing my conventional oil for 29.99 at the district location, after env fee and tax it comes out to just under 38 dollars with up to 5L of oil and a standard oil filter.

jwslam
11-24-2016, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by topsecret
If you're looking for a inexpensive oil change option like that I am doing my conventional oil for 29.99 at the district location, after env fee and tax it comes out to just under 38 dollars with up to 5L of oil and a standard oil filter.
Damn. I just went for conventional at Creekside on sunday. :(

Thaco
11-24-2016, 04:25 PM
i normally do my own just because i hate all the upselling crap they try to push at the quick lube places, i dont mind if you put the recommendations on the receipt, but i dont wanna deal with the upsell tactics, if i dont have time and need it done, i send my wife and she plays the "i donno my husband takes care of it" card

heavyD
11-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Not really required with new engines and sometimes too early of a change is a bad thing if the engine came with additives from the factory. When I had my 2012 Mustang GT most of the owners on the forums that had oil consumption problems were the guys that changed their oil early.

Homerrca
11-29-2016, 10:58 AM
I have to say that I have been to Jiffy Lube at Creekside twice now and they have been good to me with no issues.

They checked my cabin filter and offered me to replace it but I had informed them that I have the new one at home and do the work myself but they didn't give my any grief (had some grief at a dealership once but I don't use them any more). The tech put a note on file not to check the filter anymore since I do it myself.

Before I went there I had my rear diff fluid changed (dealership was doing some warranty work and had them change the fluid as well as my trans fluid) so I knew it was good. With my previous car I had been to a couple of "quick lube" locations that would tell me my rear diff fluid needed to be changed (even though the fluid was changed two days before) so I knew these folks where being honest.

My only complaint is I live in the hood so it takes a while to drive up to Creekside to get my oil changed lol. It's fine in the summer but sucks in the winter.

Next time I go I will tell them about the beyonder discount.

mzdspd
11-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Homerrca

Before I went there I had my rear diff fluid changed (dealership was doing some warranty work and had them change the fluid as well as my trans fluid) so I knew it was good. With my previous car I had been to a couple of "quick lube" locations that would tell me my rear diff fluid needed to be changed (even though the fluid was changed two days before) so I knew these folks where being honest.

To be fair with this.. Diff fluid should not be recommended to be changed by color. It should be changed by mileage intervals. It will pretty much always look somewhat dirty.