PDA

View Full Version : Stinky car

E36M3
11-24-2016, 08:14 PM
What's the best way to get a mouldy smell out of an old car? It has been thoroughly cleaned but it sat around for a long time and I'd really like to not barf when I sit in it :)

Are charcoal filters and airing it out the best bet? Any tips on specific products would be appreciated.

That.Guy.S30
11-24-2016, 08:15 PM
Baking soda works very well. Open up a pack, close the doors and let it do its job.

HiSpec
11-24-2016, 08:38 PM
I let loose a jar of Auto Obsessed Odor Eliminator during summer. It is working really well for me. My only gripe is that the residual does take a while to fade. I believe most of these odor eliminator products are made from chloride dioxide.

relyt92
11-24-2016, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec
I let loose a jar of Auto Obsessed Odor Eliminator during summer. It is working really well for me. My only gripe is that the residual does take a while to fade. I believe most of these odor eliminator products are made from chloride dioxide. Assuming this is a similar product to an auto vaccine, they definitely work. Does leave that nice swimming pool smell for a bit though.

E36M3
11-24-2016, 09:34 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions I appreciate it.

ercchry
11-24-2016, 09:54 PM
I'd start with a Car bomb, then ozone treatment, then new carpet and potentially seats... then light it on fire

R154
11-24-2016, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
I'd start with a Car bomb, then ozone treatment, then new carpet and potentially seats... then light it on fire

Jesus. I really did laugh out loud.

Really embracing the BMW culture I see.

:rofl:

R154
11-24-2016, 11:30 PM
Ps. E36M3

I still look back on the pictures of when you let me sit in your CGT.

My girlfriend found them on dropbox and said she'd never seen me so happy in all my life.

Hard to believe how many years ago that was now.

Goodluck, Sir.

E36M3
11-25-2016, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by R154
Ps. E36M3

I still look back on the pictures of when you let me sit in your CGT.

My girlfriend found them on dropbox and said she'd never seen me so happy in all my life.

Hard to believe how many years ago that was now.

Goodluck, Sir.

That's rad. You should PM me the pics if you don't mind. You'd probably dig my stinky old cars too.

R154
11-25-2016, 08:37 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/242548/spotted-silver-porsche-cgt-shitty-pictures/

That would be the very least I could do.

2008!!

I was still a kid. I remember that story and that day so.vividly.

Motivation.

G-ZUS
11-25-2016, 08:37 AM
If it's the E36, you should sell it to me and rid yourself of the smell

90_Shelby
11-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by R154
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/242548/spotted-silver-porsche-cgt-shitty-pictures/

That would be the very least I could do.

2008!!

I was still a kid. I remember that story and that day so.vividly.

Motivation.

A buddy of mine picked one up in 2008, took me for a spin then let me drive it. Unreal experience and one of the best sounding cars out there.

I don't know if E36M3 still has his but the value of these things has gone up huge. My buddy picked his up for ~$400k in 2008, just sold it this past summer to Kulu for ~$1 mill and apparently Kulu flipped it to a guy in Chicago for ~$1.5 mill........ :eek:

mzdspd
11-25-2016, 10:09 AM
Hopefully it is not like the smell that Jerry had..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pEhqiCD27E

Minimalist
11-25-2016, 10:27 AM
I had the similar issue with a car I was selling this summer, it had a stale air smell. Worked so well I did all our cars the following day to remove the dog smell.

Get a car bomb from Canadian Tire, follow the instructions exactly. Pre-planning is needed, have a solid place on the floor where you are setting the can to spray. The spray goes upward in a mist under high pressure. Once you've set off the can you can't be seeking a level floor area like an idiot. Ask me how I know... got a nice lung full of the contents while winging it. A mistake and much coughing.

The process takes about 20 minutes as the car needs to idle with the AC on. Do this and leave the car for as long as possible without driving it. Overnight at a minimum.

88CRX
11-25-2016, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Minimalist
I had the similar issue with a car I was selling this summer, it had a stale air smell. Worked so well I did all our cars the following day to remove the dog smell.

Get a car bomb from Canadian Tire, follow the instructions exactly. Pre-planning is needed, have a solid place on the floor where you are setting the can to spray. The spray goes upward in a mist under high pressure. Once you've set off the can you can't be seeking a level floor area like an idiot. Ask me how I know... got a nice lung full of the contents while winging it. A mistake and much coughing.

The process takes about 20 minutes as the car needs to idle with the AC on. Do this and leave the car for as long as possible without driving it. Overnight at a minimum.

What brand did you use?

My Civic gets pretty stale smelling a couple times a year as it sits for long periods of time. I always thought the musty smell was coming from the a/c condenser and the car bomb didn’t really do too much to help. Maybe I need to run it again in the spring?

HiSpec
11-25-2016, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

What brand did you use?

My Civic gets pretty stale smelling a couple times a year as it sits for long periods of time. I always thought the musty smell was coming from the a/c condenser and the car bomb didn’t really do too much to help. Maybe I need to run it again in the spring?

You should consider one of the chloride dioxide products mentioned above.

But DO NOT drop any of the product on any interior... it turned a tiny corner of my car mat from black to red.

Murray Peterson
11-25-2016, 11:59 AM
Change your cabin filter if you haven't done so already.

blindsight
11-26-2016, 11:49 AM

listed
11-26-2016, 11:54 AM
Take a can of DISINFECTING Lyson and spray it into your air intake system. Mildew builds up in the vents and Lysol kills the bacteria.

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzYlp9dm7AI

GTR_Auto
11-26-2016, 01:31 PM
Give this a try:

https://www.biocidesystems.com/

I also stock it

nismodrifter
11-26-2016, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by mzdspd
Hopefully it is not like the smell that Jerry had..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pEhqiCD27E

bahahahahahha

AutoObsessed
11-27-2016, 11:04 PM
Here is the odor eliminator product that was mention in this thread, one of the best and easiest ways to remove odors after the source of the smell has been removed or done to the best of your ability.

OBSSSSD Odor Eliminator - Click Here (http://autoobsessed.com/shop/obssssd-odor-eliminator-p-2438.html)

sl1U3Pu0TZU

jacky4566
11-27-2016, 11:25 PM
Rent an Ozone generator. Its really the best way to removed smells. There is a reason hunters dont waste time with chemicals and other crap. Set it up in your car for a day or two then air it for a few hours. Ozone only has a half life of 20 minutes.

ExtraSlow
11-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Ran an ozone generator in my shitbox truck at the end of the summer. Found it made no noticeable difference.

jacky4566
11-28-2016, 09:17 AM
ExtraSlow what size did you get? How long did you run it?

A $1000 ozone machine can turn a smoking hotel room into a non-smoking room in an hour. Use a big enough ozone machine and use it long enough and it can kill outright things like mold, mildew and bacteria.

ExtraSlow
11-28-2016, 09:35 AM
I don't know what size it was, I borrowed it from a friend who is in the auto industry. It was about two feet long if that helps. :dunno:

Ran it for a couple of hours, and didn't think it had helped, so ran it again for longer. Was a total of about ten hours, and really, other than the faint "chemical" type smell that lingered around for a few days, I'm not sure it did much. Who knows, maybe it wasn't working? A light came on inside and a fan was running.