PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to know about KVM switches?

ExtraSlow
11-25-2016, 11:01 AM
Been just swapping the video cable back and forth between two machines that we use on the same desk at my house. Think it would make a hell of a lot more sense to use a KVM switch. Thing is, it seems like there are a lot of options. What do I need to know about KVM switches? obviously, the cable compatibility is important. what else?

ExtraSlow
11-25-2016, 11:06 AM
What about monitors that have built in speakers? Any of the KVM switches handle sound?
One of the computers is a pretty old laptop, it doesn't have HDMI connection.

I see some are USB cable connections, I had no idea USB was used for video in this way.

I actually run a computer in my basement too, would be awesome if I could switch to that, although I only have Cat5 down to that location. Seems like most KVM switches expect all connections to be the same type of cable.

Teach me like I'm mar. TMLIM, I think that should be a new beyond.ca acronym.

ExtraSlow
11-25-2016, 11:09 AM
Actually need a new monitor. Looking at this one:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX51887

benyl
11-25-2016, 11:44 AM
why don't you use RDP to log into the other PC?

spike98
11-25-2016, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by benyl
why don't you use RDP to log into the other PC?

Yup. I use Chrome Remote Desktop on my notebook into my desk PC. I can switch from one computer to the next using ctrl-tab and remote in externally as well.

BokCh0y
11-25-2016, 04:47 PM
I have this KVM:

https://www.startech.com/ca/Server-Management/KVM-Switches/2-Port-Compact-USB-DVI-KVM-with-Cables-and-Audio-Switching~SV211KDVI

The_Penguin
11-25-2016, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

I see some are USB cable connections, I had no idea USB was used for video in this way.

]

USB is for Keyboard and mouse the k and m of KVM :)

ExtraSlow
11-26-2016, 11:01 AM
Remote desktop probably makes sense for my basement computer. Feel like for my "home office" the KVM makes more sense. Both the computers there are laptops, and on any given day, either one might be located elsewhere.

Also, thanks for the schooling on the USB!

ExtraSlow
11-27-2016, 11:15 AM
Any difference between the $19.99 2 port switch and the $100+ ones?

benyl
11-27-2016, 04:32 PM
A decent KVM is going to be $300+

The rest will likely fail pretty quick.

RealJimmyJames
11-27-2016, 08:30 PM
Buy ten of the $20 dollar ones, Profit!

taemo
11-27-2016, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Remote desktop probably makes sense for my basement computer. Feel like for my "home office" the KVM makes more sense. Both the computers there are laptops, and on any given day, either one might be located elsewhere.

Also, thanks for the schooling on the USB!

I use RDP at work quite a bit, for home access I've been using VNC for years, even remotely via phone or computer.

You could also use TeamViewer.

No real benefit using a KVM now a days unless your devices are not connected on the same network.

ExtraSlow
11-27-2016, 08:44 PM
So I need this software put onto the computer that's going to be sitting at the desk most often? And it can then view any other computer that is on the network?

BokCh0y
11-27-2016, 09:46 PM
I used to use teamviewer to get into my home computer from the office, before that it was RDP over dnydns via port 3389, but my office got pretty strict and started locking down all the ports.

At home I use rdp to get into the machine in the basement or something. But at my desk where my laptop is, my wife also uses the same desk, kb, mouse, and monitor, so I just went with a KVM for that solution instead. That way i could just swap between my machine or hers.

benyl
11-28-2016, 10:55 AM
RDP is built into professional versions of windows.

ExtraSlow
12-13-2016, 12:20 PM
Really didn't like the Chrome Remote desktop. Wife picked up some thirty dollar KVM from staples, and it's working good, exactly what I wanted.

tonytiger55
05-26-2023, 08:59 AM
Bump.

I have a Ultra wide screen monitor. It has two HDMI ports so I can switch between my new gaming laptop and work laptop. I don't like switching using the monitor. Its only a matter of time till this button breaks.

My worklaptop has a mini dell usb hub thingy.
I have a work keyboard(ergonomic),
ergonomic mouse
Work headset.
video cam

My gaming laptop, has a gaming keyboard, gaming mouse, gaming headset.
My desktop is a mess with cables.

So 7 USB connections
I was thinking of a KVM Switch and plug everything into that and switch.
Do KVM switches have up to 7 USB connectors? Or would this be a case of getting a hub and a KVM switch?
I want my desktop a bit tidy. Any suggestions?