PDA

View Full Version : Any home automation guys on here?

sillysod
12-01-2016, 03:18 PM
I have a customer that wants me to handle some of their home automation hardware and I am hoping I would be able to talk to someone on here that is experienced in it.

I have my own electrical controls company that does mostly heavy industrial controls (touch screens, plc's etc.) and the residential stuff is a different world than I am used to.

rage2
12-01-2016, 03:32 PM
wtf im nameless works for a home automation company. That's your big bucks. The DIY route has served me well using Apple's ecosystem. It's been reliable enough that the kids are using it without issues.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/396913/diy-home-automation-with-apple-homekit/

My lights, blinds, locks, thermostat, doorbell are all tied together seamlessly.

wtf im nameless
12-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Wow. I thought i'd check in after being away for a couple years and see this thread on the first page. Thanks for the recommendation rage2 :)

I'm a Control4 dealer and do larger whole home automation installations in the Calgary area. I mainly do:

- System design
- Prewire
- Equipment Racks
- Home Networks
- Distributed Audio
- Distributed Video
- Security
- IP Cameras
- Motorized Window Treatment
- Lighting Control
- Home Theater / Audio/Video
- HVAC control
- Access Control

Complete systems are typically 5-10% of the price of the home, depending on what they're looking for. I've been doing Audio/Video/Theater for almost 20 years, home automation the past ~10 years, and started my own company ~5 years ago.

Just PM me if you need any help or have any questions and I'll make sure I check back sooner than in a couple years, heheheh.

rage2
12-01-2016, 04:29 PM
I was about to say, I haven't seen him around in over a year lol. Just remembered chatting to you about this stuff a couple years back. :thumbsup:

You should check out my homekit thread (and I really should update it more). Might open up a market for you for less wealthy people, if you want to deal with them haha.

macman64
12-01-2016, 07:36 PM
I have been using Smart Things for a few years now and very happy with it. I don't have a ton of endpoints but it does the trick and the price is right.

imranm
12-02-2016, 09:14 AM
I am using Smartthings.

Zwave switches to control important lighting, Chamberlain myQ for the garage, Schlage Locks, Philips Hue, Nest Thermostat, and Skybell Doorbell.

ST is a good product for a DIY'er or for someone who wants to scale over time.