PDA

View Full Version : Talon People... A Question.

Davetronz
10-01-2002, 01:16 PM
Ok guys, for those of you who have a Talon...
Mine is a 1996 and I hear this problem is quite common in the 2nd gens.

The first problem I am experiencing is with gauges. The gas gauge never goes all the way up when it is full. I know there is a minor calibration that will fix this using a device from Radio Shack, but is anyone else experiencing this. Plus, when the gas tank is completely empty, the needle is WAY below the line.

The second problem I am experiencing is with my oil gauge. This is the first car in which the oil gauge reads so low. Where does everyone's guage tend to hover? Mine will be around the mid line or just a bit higher when driving normally, and when idling its only about an 1/8 of an inch above the lowest line. The dealer says this is perfectly fine but it freaks me out every time cus I have an 1/8 of an inch between thinking my car is getting oil and thinking it isnt!!!!!!!!

The third problem that I am experiencing is that I have no intermittent setting on my front wipers. The off setting works, the slow setting works, and so does the fast, but nothing intermittent. Any ideas?

And lastly, my back windshield wiper ceases to function at all :(
Does anyone know if there is a separate fuse for this wiper, or if there is a good chance that my motor is blown? And if it is my motor, does anyone have a Talon rear windshield wiper I can buy!

Let me know what you think.

4G63Power
10-01-2002, 01:37 PM
First in regards to the oil pressure, what you are noticing is completely normal, as DSM's have variable oil pressure. Just like your mine will go quite low (10 o' clock) at idle, and about 12 o ' clock while driving

As for the Rear Wiper, I guess it depends on how much you use it. If not used very often, most likely it is a fuse which should be located under the dash on the drivers side. However, it may be different with the 2G...i'm basing this on my car which is a 1G.

Now for the Front Wiper problem...I'm not sure what the problem is, but I have a feeling you may have to replace the whole combination switch.

Finally, I have no clue about the gas gauge. Hope this helps somewhat :burnout:

Davetronz
10-01-2002, 02:07 PM
Thanks dude, that reassures me a lot about the oil. When I drove her home for the first time I was so freaked out. Stopped twice to check the oil!!!

And I already checked the fuse for the "wipers" but I am not sure if there is another fuse for the "back wiper".

Thanks for helping out!
:D

ecstasy_civic
10-01-2002, 03:20 PM
ya we had to replace the oil sending unit and the pump because the oil pressure was reading @ 11 psi at idle. never thought to check it while running so we replaced the pump for no reason then the sending unit actually cracked so we had to replace that and it was still reading low. but it is perfectly normal my friend wishes that he new that before 800 bucks worth of parts lol.

redec
10-01-2002, 03:34 PM
my gas guage does the opposite of yours....when it's empty, it reads 1/4 tank.....when it's full, it's past the full line

my wipers work fine, don't really know how the intermittent thing works....could be the switch that needs replacing, or it could be a little relay or something...who knows :P

95TsiAWD
10-01-2002, 04:37 PM
Oil gauge is fine
Intermittent wiper thing is probably a broken connection inside the wiper peice, don't know how much a dealer would want for that or what would be involved in the RandR of it.
Back wiper should have a fuse somewhere, check both sets of fuse panels for anything blown. OTherwise check and make sure you are getting power at the wiper motor, I've never heard of the rear wiper motors dying, but it's possible. I'd check everything else first though.

Davetronz
10-01-2002, 04:39 PM
Thanks guys, I might get off my ass soon and take a look at the wiper thing (both intermittent and rear wiper).... :D
But I am VERY relieved about the oil gauge!

Ralliart
10-02-2002, 10:39 AM
I have a 95

my oil gauge sits about where you are saying when Idleing, my fuel gauge will read E and I can go about another 150km untill its way below E and the light stays on costantly

Hope that helps

Davetronz
10-02-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Ralliart
I have a 95

my oil gauge sits about where you are saying when Idleing, my fuel gauge will read E and I can go about another 150km untill its way below E and the light stays on costantly

Hope that helps
You have a fuel light? I dont know if mine has one or not :dunno:
Maybe tis burnt out? Mine is fully loaded minus the leather, so in all probability it does have a light somewhere!

Ralliart
10-02-2002, 02:18 PM
Drive on empty for about 100K and you'll see it flicker after that.

How much gas do you fill in the car? when Im on empty I fill 40L I wont see the light unless I fill at least 50L. I've even taken it to 57L thats when the light came on solid all the time, Im sure I could have gone another 50-60K easy. Im not sure but I think we have 65L tanks?

Davetronz
10-02-2002, 02:48 PM
Yea I think they are 65L tanks, however they are separated into two sides with the AWD components running down the middle (or so I have heard). So you cant drive the tank completely down before you stall out :(
The MOST I have ever put into my car is 40L, so that is probably why I havent seen the light...

How much km do you guys get to a tank of premium?

4G63Power
10-02-2002, 03:07 PM
Roughly 370-400 in city...sometimes lower due to acceleration methods :burnout:

Davetronz
10-02-2002, 03:27 PM
Hmmm maybe I should stop accelerating like a jackass, or just run my tank longer!
I only get on average 320km

DSM Power
10-03-2002, 04:26 PM
Well I'm kinda slow to respond here but... ;)

The 2G gas gauge is fooked... mine shows full but is rarely accurate near empty. It'll show E but I can go for another 100kms easy... :nut: You *should* see a fuel light when it's low though for sure.

Oil gauge - as mentioned, could be the sender, could be normal. :dunno:

Mileage - I usually get about 400kms out of a tank, or less thanks to boosting. :D A fill is usually 45-50L for me.

Hey redec - do I know you? :) All you other DSMers, come on out to one of our club meetings sometime! I'll be at the Sunday cruise this weekend, hopefully some of you will be too. :thumbsup:

Davetronz
10-03-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power
All you other DSMers, come on out to one of our club meetings sometime! I'll be at the Sunday cruise this weekend, hopefully some of you will be too. :thumbsup:

I will try my hardest to come out and meet some fellow DSM'ers with my stock DSM :D

95TsiAWD
10-03-2002, 05:47 PM
You can run the tank right empty and they are 65L ;)
If I drive until the gas light comes on I get about 450-500km/tank

Big_Six_Boy
10-04-2002, 09:55 AM
Your '96 is a 3rd Gen, not 2nd.
I have a friend a coupla friends with them... the fuel guage prob is pretty common. The oil pressure gauge is completely normal. However, one of my friend's car has this steering column LOCK problem. It sounds pretty scary... the steering wheel would lock while he's driving! He would have to pull over and restart the car.. Yikes! :eek:

On a side note... Mercedes ML's made during 2000-1 experience the exact same problem. :rolleyes:

Ralliart
10-04-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Big_Six_Boy
Your '96 is a 3rd Gen, not 2nd.

Nope its a 2g they never made 3g talons the 1g include the flip light and non fliplight versions the cars are identical and you can just swap the front body panels. A 3g eclipse would be the 2000+ models

DSM Power
10-04-2002, 10:50 AM
Exactly...
1g = 90-94 = :D
2g = 95-98 = :D
3g = Mitsubishi Eclipse 2000+ = :barf:

:angel:

95TsiAWD
10-04-2002, 11:17 AM
Or if we really want to get technical (and since my post count is so low)

90-91 - 1G
92-94 - 1.5G
95-96 - 2G
97-99 - 2.5G
2000+ - who cares they are slow ;)

Davetronz
10-04-2002, 11:47 AM
Ha ha thanks for the technical dates dudes... Yup she is a 2nd gen! :D

DSM Power
10-04-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by 95TsiAWD
LOL. :rofl:

Big_Six_Boy
10-05-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by 95TsiAWD
Or if we really want to get technical (and since my post count is so low)

90-91 - 1G
92-94 - 1.5G
95-96 - 2G
97-99 - 2.5G

Haha.. oops.. my mistake. Can't argue with true Talon guys! :thumbsup:
However, didn't the first Talons come out in 1988? I remember seeing them at the AutoShow way back in the day...

95TsiAWD
10-05-2002, 06:59 PM
The 90 models would have come out in 89, if you seen it at an auto-show it was probably a demo type deal to get people talking.