PDA

View Full Version : Pre-wiring 220v during basement reno

revelations
12-05-2016, 07:14 PM
Are there unique rules about running 220v through a basement?

I would like to (in 1-2 years) convert a basement bathroom into a steam shower - which will require 220v.

Right now, we are busy with redoing the interior finish of the basement so I thought that it would be prudent, since the walls are open, to have the 220v cable run through the studs/walls into the bathroom - to be renovated later. About a 60ft distance for the cable.

What cables to use? Are there any special criteria? (eg has to be armored).

We would have an electrician come over and complete the final work on both terminations - but running the actual cable is something a DIY should be able to handle.

eblend
12-05-2016, 07:19 PM
We did a 220V cable for a sauna...pretty long, you have to take into account the length and the draw, and there is an online calculator which you can use which will tell you the gauge of wire required. I don't believe you need anything armored or anything, just a thick ass high gauge cable. I believe the cable alone for my parents basement was like $200 or something like that, big wire.

FraserB
12-05-2016, 07:56 PM
15m shouldn't see a lot of voltage drop. I used 6ga 3C wire on a longer run when I did my garage, feeds 240v to a panel fused at 60A.

If you have metal studs, you need to have a grommet at each point the wire passes through them. If you're using 2x4, you'll probably need a protector plate on each stud since there is a minimum distance back from the front the hole has to be.

Assuming that you have a homeowner's permit to do your basement already, adding the cable would be covered under that. But, you would not be allowed to have an electrical contractor do the work for you. There really is no need for one though, the termination in the panel and at the plug in the future bathroom are very easy to do.