PDA

View Full Version : Man who rode the scooter/moped down QEII

HomespunLobster
12-06-2016, 05:46 PM
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/scary-winter-scooter-ride-fuels-outpouring-of-generosity

I understand times can be tough, and bills stack up. I've found another website that says this man even rides into Calgary on that moped on the good days. Causing safety concerns for himself and other drivers (nice roads or icey), unable to afford his old car (Which he now recieved a free car, with insurance for a year, and a gofundme to pay bills, what happens in a year?), we are now applauding bad behavior and saying what he did was acceptable considering his position and rewarding his actions.

What's everyone's thoughts on this whole ordeal?

Xtrema
12-06-2016, 06:00 PM
I don't agree with it. Money would have went to better and more deserving people. What's wrong with public transit, car2go or uber?

lilmira
12-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Did he trade in his 84 sheepdog for the hawk?

If the story is true, a man's got to do what he's got to do at times.

nismodrifter
12-06-2016, 06:20 PM
:bigpimp:

Seth1968
12-06-2016, 06:36 PM
If the rubber on those tires are anything like what's on a Honda BWS, then the rubber goes rock hard solid when it's cold. And if it's even the least bit slippery, you'll dump it on a turn, or the back end will severely fishtail on light braking.

Now waiting for the "Man who rode dogsled down the QEII" thread" :)

sexualbanana
12-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/scary-winter-scooter-ride-fuels-outpouring-of-generosity

I understand times can be tough, and bills stack up. I've found another website that says this man even rides into Calgary on that moped on the good days. Causing safety concerns for himself and other drivers (nice roads or icey), unable to afford his old car (Which he now recieved a free car, with insurance for a year, and a gofundme to pay bills, what happens in a year?), we are now applauding bad behavior and saying what he did was acceptable considering his position and rewarding his actions.

What's everyone's thoughts on this whole ordeal?

He works in trades, so he might not have too much control over where his work site is. I'm sure if he had a choice, he would choose a safer and more comfortable way to get to work.

I'm sure he didn't wake up one morning and go 'If I ride my scooter and it goes viral, I'll get free shit.'

The_Rural_Juror
12-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Poor guy. If only there was a bike lane there.

HiTempguy1
12-06-2016, 07:18 PM
"Had to get rid of car because insurance was too expensive"

Aka DUI or other crazy shit on his driving record. Liability insurance for a car is $500/year if you are over the age of 30 with a clean record.

C_Dave45
12-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I don't agree with it. Money would have went to better and more deserving people. What's wrong with public transit, car2go or uber?
Gary Aw, s'that you?!! :rofl:

HomespunLobster
12-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
"Had to get rid of car because insurance was too expensive"

Aka DUI or other crazy shit on his driving record. Liability insurance for a car is $500/year if you are over the age of 30 with a clean record.

My thoughts exactly. And if you're in a trade where your job site moves then transportation is usually a requirement of the job. The car he was given will eat up all his gas money in no time.

spikerS
12-06-2016, 07:27 PM
Personally, I will do whatever it is going to take to make sure my family has a roof over their head, and something to eat.

With the job market the way it is right now, he is probably in a spot where he does whatever he can. If that means that he rides a scooter on the QE2, then that's what you do. Is it safe? no. But he is more of a man IMO (if his story checks out) that 1/2 of the judgmental fucks on here.

Sometimes, you need a hand up, and at least he is doing something rather than complaining about his EI running out.

HomespunLobster
12-06-2016, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
Personally, I will do whatever it is going to take to make sure my family has a roof over their head, and something to eat.

With the job market the way it is right now, he is probably in a spot where he does whatever he can. If that means that he rides a scooter on the QE2, then that's what you do. Is it safe? no. But he is more of a man IMO (if his story checks out) that 1/2 of the judgmental fucks on here.

Sometimes, you need a hand up, and at least he is doing something rather than complaining about his EI running out.

And if he ended up dead? Or causing someone else to be injured? What if he came home with fines that he won't be able to pay and has to face jail time? How is that going to help his situation?
We all have choices and options, he chose his and was rewarded for something dangerous and foolish.

C_Dave45
12-06-2016, 07:50 PM

http://www.freeiconspng.com/uploads/facebook-like-icon-png-32.png

spikerS
12-06-2016, 07:52 PM

And if he ended up dead? Or causing someone else to be injured? What if he came home with fines that he won't be able to pay and has to face jail time? How is that going to help his situation?
We all have choices and options, he chose his and was rewarded for something dangerous and foolish.

If you have to use "what ifs" to make an argument, it's kinda pointless.

max_boost
12-06-2016, 07:57 PM
ya it was stupid but don't think buddy did it expecting a hand out. anyway, bleeding hearts are always out there ready to help. the good side of humanity. :devil:

Stay trending, my friends.

HomespunLobster
12-06-2016, 08:08 PM

If you have to use "what ifs" to make an argument, it's kinda pointless.

I'll rephrase then. He SHOULD be charged for his offence. There is video proof of what he did. I doubt he'll get a ticket, because the internet would explode with people saying "He was just doing what he could".

beyond_ban
12-06-2016, 08:21 PM

I'll rephrase then. He SHOULD be charged for his offence. There is video proof of what he did. I doubt he'll get a ticket, because the internet would explode with people saying "He was just doing what he could".

What is the charge he should be facing?

Seth1968
12-06-2016, 08:23 PM
I'm all for this if done properly.

Examples:

1) Transportation costs and fuel are minuscule when compared to a car. They both are meaningless when you ride a scooter.

2) I don't have to drive my gf to school and work as she has her own scooter. Which incidentally is a blast to drive ;)

3) Bike conversion with dual back wheels and studs.

spikerS
12-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

and what was his offence?

HomespunLobster
12-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

True driving for conditions, nothing illegal for riding in winter on his moped. You've got me on the fact nothing to really be charged on. I'll admit to that.

eblend
12-06-2016, 08:44 PM
Interesting, I wonder if it's the same guy who I have seen right by my work. He used to leave his scooter by the bus stop with a bike lock, and walk a couple of blocks to the new Atco building they are building near mount royal. Saw it every day as I work right in front of the bus stop. Saw this last winter, haven't seen him there in the last 3 month or so.

beyond_ban
12-06-2016, 08:47 PM

True driving for conditions, nothing illegal for riding in winter on his moped. You've got me on the fact nothing to really be charged on. I'll admit to that.

Although quite unorthodox and dangerous, there are no laws in place in Alberta banning motorcycles/mopeds in the winter. I do not see why there is so much hate on the guy... He is doing what he deems necessary to provide for his family. Who knows what his life story is, but if this is the best way he can provide then all the power to him for not being lazy and looking for an excuse.

HiTempguy1
12-06-2016, 09:05 PM

Actually

http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread.php?89035-Minimum-Speed-Limits

Plenty of things he could be ticketed for. Especially if he was driving on the shoulder, which is super illegal.

Sugarphreak
12-06-2016, 09:12 PM

J-hop
12-06-2016, 09:16 PM
I'm not going to pretend to know his story but isn't that a Vespa? Vespas aren't exactly super cheap...

With the amount a Vespa costs you could buy an old accent and pay for gas and insurance for a year at least.

Absolutely no excuse around town though. You can get anywhere in town on transit and/or a bicycle...

Ca_Silvia13
12-07-2016, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Actually

http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread.php?89035-Minimum-Speed-Limits

Plenty of things he could be ticketed for. Especially if he was driving on the shoulder, which is super illegal.

Cyclists ride in the shoulder of Stoney all the time??? They are probably going the same speed too.

riander5
12-07-2016, 09:43 AM
his 'church' claims he is the sweetest man ever. I wonder how many churches are helping all the people that have been with them for all these years in the good times

Probably not. Just asking for 10% of your income or w/e it is. Fucking pizza shit

HiTempguy1
12-07-2016, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13

Cyclists ride in the shoulder of Stoney all the time??? They are probably going the same speed too.

And should be ticketed. As should any cyclist blocking the free-flow of traffic by biking too slow.

But could you IMAGINE the outrage from a vocal minority if the police ticketed someone for that?

lilmira
12-07-2016, 10:40 AM
I'm not sure if you can ticket a cyclist for riding in the shoulder on a highway. Can you even ticket a cyclist for riding in a lane where there is a shoulder? What's the law on this?

JRSC00LUDE
12-07-2016, 10:45 AM
So what, people decided to do something for someone. It's not your money to judge so shut up. :dunno:

R-Audi
12-07-2016, 10:54 AM
Somewhat related... It was my sister in law who filmed this... got all sorts of nasty emails etc about it.

Xtrema
12-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Somewhat related... It was my sister in law who filmed this... got all sorts of nasty emails etc about it.

As in filming while driving?

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
So what, people decided to do something for someone. It's not your money to judge so shut up. :dunno:

I think he should be helped. I don't think giving him a car is the right kind of help if his original M.O. is he can't afford to operate one. He'll probably sell the car and go back to moped once the media attention dies down and we are back dealing with a moped on QE2 in -30c and again become a public safety issue.

So this should not be encouraged.

suntan
12-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Somewhat related... It was my sister in law who filmed this... got all sorts of nasty emails etc about it. We'll need pics of SIL to determine our level of outrage.

kragnorok
12-07-2016, 11:16 AM
So take this with a grain of salt, but apparently my co-worker knows someone who knows the scooter rider.

He said that apparently the man is the sweetest person, but a couple bricks short of a load (which makes sense seeing how we all became aware of him). He also mentioned that he absolutely loves that scooter and no longer wants a car. Apparently, the thought is if he gets a car from this campaign he would just sell it, use the money elsewhere, and keep riding the scooter.

Can't verify the full authenticity of the above comments, but some of them seem to stack up with other things I have read.

Either way, I am so opposed to crowd funding peoples causes. If you have a sick pet, sick kid and you are having issues affording things, I guess you should have thought of that before getting/having them. People that are not suffering from physical/mental disabilities need to be responsible for their own lives and lives of people/animals that they decide to take care of.

suntan
12-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by kragnorok
So take this with a grain of salt, but apparently my co-worker knows someone who knows the scooter rider.

He said that apparently the man is the sweetest person, but a couple bricks short of a load (which makes sense seeing how we all became aware of him). He also mentioned that he absolutely loves that scooter and no longer wants a car. Apparently, the thought is if he gets a car from this campaign he would just sell it, use the money elsewhere, and keep riding the scooter.Not surprised.

Either way, I am so opposed to crowd funding peoples causes. If you have a sick pet, sick kid and you are having issues affording things, I guess you should have thought of that before getting/having them. People that are not suffering from physical/mental disabilities need to be responsible for their own lives and lives of people/animals that they decide to take care of. Begging is fine. Hey it's not like taxes where the gov't holds a gun to your head about it.

Epididymitis
12-07-2016, 11:34 AM
All i know is that if buddy can get away with this shit, im taking the old ski-doo down deerfoot with an automaxx rep draped over the front of the seat while suckin' me dry through my one piece sun ice suit.

JRSC00LUDE
12-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Epididymitis
All i know is that if buddy can get away with this shit, im taking the old ski-doo down deerfoot with an automaxx rep draped over the front of the seat while suckin' me dry through my one piece sun ice suit.

Where's the proove?

FraserB
12-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Epididymitis

Your sled is registered/insured for use on public roads?

Epididymitis
12-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

Your sled is registered/insured for use on public roads?

Shit no, rules dont apply to me because ive befallen hard times.

roopi
12-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by suntan
We'll need pics of SIL to determine our level of outrage.

Clearly you didn't read the article.

Xtrema
12-07-2016, 11:44 AM
He said that apparently the man is the sweetest person, but a couple bricks short of a load (which makes sense seeing how we all became aware of him).

Now you remind me of this :rofl: :

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02935/DDScooter_2935936k.jpg

kragnorok
12-07-2016, 11:49 AM

Now you remind me of this :rofl: :

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02935/DDScooter_2935936k.jpg

Haha ya, definitely. Someone had a good Dumb and Dumber reference earlier in the thread too, but it's just too fitting.

Mitsu3000gt
12-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by roopi

Clearly you didn't read the article.

That's what I was thinking haha.

She was at an open house I went into not long ago, seemed like a nice lady.

suntan
12-07-2016, 12:04 PM
I was hoping for better pictures.

sexualbanana
12-07-2016, 12:06 PM

Either way, I am so opposed to crowd funding peoples causes. If you have a sick pet, sick kid and you are having issues affording things, I guess you should have thought of that before getting/having them. People that are not suffering from physical/mental disabilities need to be responsible for their own lives and lives of people/animals that they decide to take care of.

If people want to help, let them help. Call me "naive" or "a sucker", but I'd rather give a beggar, or someone in need, some money in hopes that they would do something good with it, than not donate out of fear they would put it to waste.

R-Audi
12-07-2016, 12:16 PM

As in filming while driving?

Started with that, (Obviously in passenger seat) but more so in making fun of someone in a bad situation. (Which clearly and luckily there werent any comments like that made)

Really hope for all of this that the guy is actually a stand up person that deserved this... and doesnt go and sell the car etc.

kragnorok
12-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

If people want to help, let them help. Call me "naive" or "a sucker", but I'd rather give a beggar, or someone in need, some money in hopes that they would do something good with it, than not donate out of fear they would put it to waste.

I know I can come off a bit strong about it, I guess I can clarify a bit to maybe not sound as much like a heartless asshole hah.

Really, When something like this is started FOR someone else or someone decides to give money to a homeless person, all power to them. The really big issue I have is when people create their own GoFundMe's and things like that to deal with the issues I mentioned before. I still have problems with all of it, but I understand people wanting to support others in these situations, I just will not be a part of it.

I tend to support reputable causes where there is absolutely no way the intended recipients can support themselves financially (ie animals). Also on the selfish side, and I think a lot of people do this, diseases that have affected my family directly.

J-hop
12-07-2016, 12:36 PM
^ I have no problem with gofundme but I see so many examples where people aren't deserving or the donators are misguided.

ie: person sets up gofundme because they have no money to start a business- ends up they live in a nice home and are leasing expensive brand new vehicles. Hardly the definition of 'starving entrepreneur just trying to make a go of it'.

Or the 'I can't pay my bills' - but rides a bike worth more than many people's cars.

If someone is setting up a gofundme because they can't put food on the table that is one thing. If they are doing it because they don't want to make a sacrifice that people make every day then it's not a good cause. But in the later case people usually spin their story to catch the bleeding hearts instead of being honest. Like the guy on the street corner with a sign that says "need money for food" when that isn't where it's going...

max_boost
12-07-2016, 12:46 PM
it's your money you can give it away to whoever whatever. some people do it to make themselves feel good and some do it to make others feel good.

there will always be a new story out there to trigger emo reactions.....which is good.....people still care :love:

ercchry
12-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Hard times should breed driver and motivation to better your situation, handouts dilute this drive and in return create a cycle of dependency.... long live capitalism!!!

kragnorok
12-07-2016, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
it's your money you can give it away to whoever whatever. some people do it to make themselves feel good and some do it to make others feel good.

there will always be a new story out there to trigger emo reactions.....which is good.....people still care :love:

People caring is definitely a good thing. I think due to my career in the Security world I don't trust most people right away. My wife being a nurse dealing with a lot of crazy shit with newborn babies (addiction, physical abuse, etc) due to the mother, you can easily see the worst in people.

I am glad there are people out there that aren't as jaded as me!

JRSC00LUDE
12-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

That's what I meant, I just let me EFL get in the way. :)

tirebob
12-07-2016, 02:08 PM
In an ideal world, neighbours would help out neighbours and local community would help out those in need within said community. If this is still how things were done we would not need to have an expensive welfare system that eats money from the public. Unfortunately people in general are not very interested in helping directly anymore so we rely on a welfare system.

My point being that to me, gofundme accounts are a nice way for people to help out their neighbours and community without having it forced upon them by government, so if people are having a bit of trouble in their lives and are asking for help, who am I to call them out on it. I can either give them money or choose not to. No skin off my back at all.

'93 SR-V
12-07-2016, 02:25 PM
According to the CBC article he was on his way to church in Airdrie that day. personally I would sympathize for him more if he was trying to get to work and make ends meet instead of risking his ass to go to church....

ZenOps
12-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Danger is his middle name.

85OysZ_4lp0

But I'm ok with it. Although he is a slight hazard to others on the road, he is by far taking most of the risk on his own shoulders. In India, a brand new TATA starts at $2,800. Mexican cars also have very little in the way of crash protection.

Is the $1 million Cessna Citation airplane a hazard compared to a $2 million version? Should you even be flying at all if you are less than a $10 millionaire?

J-hop
12-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by '93 SR-V
According to the CBC article he was on his way to church in Airdrie that day. personally I would sympathize for him more if he was trying to get to work and make ends meet instead of risking his ass to go to church....

If all of this is true I really hope the money makes it to his family. I can't imagine living in a household where a parent was this out of it. Sad thing is I bet people at the church look at this as his devotion to god. That is how mental illness goes untreated....

tirebob
12-07-2016, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

If all of this is true I really hope the money makes it to his family. I can't imagine living in a household where a parent was this out of it. Sad thing is I bet people at the church look at this as his devotion to god. That is how mental illness goes untreated.... You guys do realize that many people who go to church are not simply god fearing zealots who simply eat, sleep, shit and worship.

Maybe this guy was going to church because that day they were volunteering to feed the homeless, or they were doing a toy drive for kids with cancer, or they maybe were to prepare meals for the elderly, or whatever...

You may not agree with people who practice religion, but being judgemental without knowing a singe thing about this guy other than a news article sure isn't doing your cause any favours...

Xtrema
12-07-2016, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
You guys do realize that many people who go to church are not simply god fearing zealots who simply eat, sleep, shit and worship.

Maybe this guy was going to church because that day they were volunteering to feed the homeless, or they were doing a toy drive for kids with cancer, or they maybe were to prepare meals for the elderly, or whatever...

You may not agree with people who practice religion, but being judgemental without knowing a singe thing about this guy other than a news article sure isn't doing your cause any favours...

If he's single, he's quite irresponsible to their fellow drivers on QE2.

If he has a family, he's quite irresponsible to his family by putting himself in such dangerous situation, especially he is the bread winner.

The only situation where what he did is acceptable is a family member is dying in a hospital somewhere and that's all he can use to get there.

JRSC00LUDE
12-07-2016, 04:37 PM
I don't do religion but if you judge someone because they do, you're a cunt. Grow up.

J-hop
12-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Deleted!

Yup I feel like a complete asshole- guy is apparently developmentally delayed

Xtrema
12-07-2016, 06:03 PM
Deleted!

Yup I feel like a complete asshole- guy is apparently developmentally delayed

If he suffers from Autism, he moste likely will not feel the cold which is probably why he can tolerate that ride.

J-hop
12-07-2016, 06:34 PM

If he suffers from Autism, he moste likely will not feel the cold which is probably why he can tolerate that ride.

Thought for a sec you were being an ass, had no idea that was true.

Xtrema
12-07-2016, 06:46 PM

Thought for a sec you were being an ass, had no idea that was true.

Lol, just based on what's been said, slow, nice guy, not all there but functional, riding in extreme weather, definitely remind me of relative that suffer from aspergers. He can be out in -30c with t shirt and jeans like Hawaiian summer. Dude never take anyone's advice and lived an odd existence but he really kicked ass in all FPS games, if he's born 10 years later, he's definitely MLG material. :rofl:

So yeah, I'm not against helping him but much like most foreign aid to Africa, it's not really helping if you don't understand the problem in the 1st place. And aspergers is really tough to diagnose, most people would just think he's a weird person.

My relative's parents doesn't even know their son got Aspergers until we show them the symptoms. Then again, aspergers wasn't really a thing until 15 years ago as more people are having kids in their 30s and 40s.

max_boost
12-07-2016, 06:52 PM
very informative Stanford. i had no idea the tolerance of cold!

kertejud2
12-08-2016, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I don't do religion but if you judge someone because they do, you're a cunt. Grow up.

Judge not, lest yet be judged, cunt.

Anyway I'm off to go harass women outside an abortion clinic and withhold medicine from kids because faith will cure them and that's how I religion and there's apparently nothing wrong with that.

ZenOps
12-08-2016, 07:10 AM
I dunno. If you start knocking this guy, then you are halfway to banning all two wheel traffic, even expensive motorcycles.

This is however, the way things are going. I can imagine in about thirty years humans will be banned from driving because the human mind is too unpredictable and irrational.

10:30 is what traffic lights may look like in the future.

OlLFK8oSNEM

GorG
12-09-2016, 11:32 PM
I always think of this video as a real life visualisation of what the world be like with 100% driverless cars. I feel like windows would need to be tinted all black :nut:.
ufK2XRGUjuc