PDA

View Full Version : What is your ultimate winter car?

Pages : [1] 2

rage2
12-07-2016, 09:16 AM
With winter finally here, just curious what everyone's opinions on what their ultimate winter car would be. Looking for various opinions from different price segments, what car is best to tackle our shitty winter conditions to make driving more enjoyable.

I'll start. My ultimate is still the 911 Turbo, but really, any AWD 911 fits the bill. It's a light vehicle, but with the engine firmly planted in the back, there's tons of rear weight under acceleration giving lots of rear traction, while AWD helps pull the car out of sides with ease. Even with shitty performance winters, the traction rivals other AWD cars with full on winter tires. Braking is nice and stable with weight distribution approaching 50/50 to maximize traction on each tire. Just a monster in the snow. I've never tried studded tires on it, but I'd imagine it'd be even more sure footed even on deep freeze days like today.

What other vehicles would you classify as an ultimate winter car and why?

TL911
12-07-2016, 09:23 AM
Hummer H2...my fav when it comes to winter.

zipdoa
12-07-2016, 09:29 AM
My current allotment of vehicles is the ultimate winter fleet:

1. 1983 Audi Quattro Turbo w/ Center + Rear diff locks

- Ultimate old school rally vibes. This was the original winter weapon, two diff locks at arms reach, torquey 10v 5cyl turbo motor, and wide
body flares complete the package. This is where symmetrical AWD began!

2. HDJ81 w/ 3x locking diffs

- This goes anywhere offroad in the winter. Trail running in Waiparous, McLean Creek, Moose Mountain, etc. Equipped with locking front/center/rear diffs, 2.5" lift, 33" ST Maxx tiers, ARB Bumper and Warn M12000 winch, and a completely reworked 1HD-T doubling it's factory output.

Daily driving a 3-ton rig isn't my cup of tea, but you could feasibly run a winter recovery service with this truck.

3. 400WHP 6MT Allroad

- The Stage 3 AR is my daily driver. This year I decided to run 245/45/18 Pilot Alpin PA4's considering the city streets tend to be bare. The PA4's turn-in and grip on bare pavement is night and day over a conventional winter tire, and the Hakk 8's will come out for Ghost Lake sessions.

I have the AR running upgraded Arnott Gen2.5 air suspension, which increases the springrate and pairs well with the thicker hotchkis sway bars front and rear. Once sorted out, the AR is probably one of the best winter vehicles on the road today.

The 4:1 (80/20) center diff is an improvement from the factory torsen 2:1 (66/33) torque biasing split. Getting 80% of available power to the rear wheels helps rotate the allroad and produce predictable, buttery smooth oversteer.

4. W8 Passat AWD 6MT for when the other three are broken

- This is bone stock, but the great response and torque from the W8 make it a blast to drive in the snow. Under the VW badge, it's running an identical torsen-based AWD system as any B5/C5 series Audi. These came well equipped from the factory (bi-xenon headlamps, MFA instrument cluster, auto-dim mirrors, rain sensing wipers, seat heaters, etc), and mine has factory sport dampers and anti-roll bars.

This is the easiest car to drive in the snow. The UrQ is very mechanical, the HDJ is a beast, and the AR is too easy to get carried away with power.

G-ZUS
12-07-2016, 09:30 AM
Mercedes G63 AMG 6X6

:nut:

killramos
12-07-2016, 09:36 AM
Personally I am on a big G550 kick right now. Maybe G63 but in that car I don't really see the point of going AMG. All the practicality and capability you could ever need. Amazing design. I have always wanted one and it would be a perfect winter beater with some knobby studded tires ( because why the fuck not ).

Doesn't really fit the bill of sporty but I think it would still be very fun. Bonus points if i could somehow get my hands on the G500 4x4-2 aka the 4 wheel version of the 6x6

Also leaves me completely wide open to buy a summer car with zero concerns on practicality ( think Cayman GT4 or M2 CS something ridiculous without back seats etc. ) since the G will always be around to perform that duty.

:dunno:
http://st.automobilemag.com/uploads/sites/11/2015/06/Mercedes-Benz-G500-4x4-Squared-front-three-quarter-02.jpg

spikerS
12-07-2016, 09:40 AM
you know, I gotta say F-150 (any truck really) with studded winters.

Lots of ground clearance, SOTF 4x4, locking rear diff, and can throw some weight in the back for added traction. Can carry your family, defeat the TC, and you got a rear wheel drive play toy.

FwDYgthUu_8

dirtsniffer
12-07-2016, 09:53 AM
I'd go with a continental gt. Just something about cruising around in luxury while the weather and roads are shit seems awesome.

9S2GwLUN-8Q

for a thread about ultimate winter cars there are a lot on asnwers for trucks or utility vehicles..

msommers
12-07-2016, 09:55 AM
https://usatunofficial.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/screen-shot-2012-04-10-at-10-20-05-am.png

Because it's so damn sexy!

But in a realistic budget for car, this with Hakk 8's. A buddy of mine has one and I'm trying to get him to take it out to the winter course out at Ghost Lake this year to really push it to the limits.
https://images.dealer.com/ddc/vehicles/2016/Subaru/Outback/Wagon/trim_25i_Limited_790f14/color/Crystal%20Black%20Silica-CBS-8,8,8-640-en_US.jpg

For an SUV/Truck, it's hard to deny my 4Runner's track record (Hakk's as well). It's been bulletproof in the winter in all conditions and even towed a Lancer up an incredibly steep and icy hill out by Abraham Lake. I also got ran off the road by a semi and ended up in a snow bank up over my hood with zero damage to the exterior and no engine issues either despite ice being everywhere in the engine bay.

It's why I'm so hesitant whenever I think about selling - it's just completely bomber that I don't think I'll actually ever do it.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dc/2010_Toyota_4Runner_SR5_--_NHTSA_1.jpg

killramos
12-07-2016, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
for a thread about ultimate winter cars there are a lot on asnwers for trucks or utility vehicles..

So glad we have you around to let us all know how to appropriately respond to this thread!

rage2
12-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by TL911
Hummer H2...my fav when it comes to winter.

Originally posted by zipdoa
My current allotment of vehicles is the ultimate winter fleet:

1. 1983 Audi Quattro Turbo w/ Center + Rear diff locks
2. HDJ81 w/ 3x locking diffs
3. 400WHP 6MT Allroad on Michelin Pilot PA4/Hakka 8's and a 4:1 Center diff
4. W8 Passat AWD 6MT for when the other three are broken
Wanna be a little more specific? What makes each vehicle so good for winter?

Anyone want to tackle what the ultimate cheap winter car would be as well?

Type_S1
12-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Audi R8 or 911 turbo.

killramos
12-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by rage2

4WD JDM Honda Fit with Hakka 8's. /thread

Too bad it was never offered here.

Aside from that I would go with Civic Si in the cheap category. Toss on some Hakka 8's and let the FWD, LSD, and manual transmission combo do the work. Fun car too!

Not really much in the way of options for cheap+awd so... Maybe Toyota Matrix, is that still for sale?

A790
12-07-2016, 10:13 AM
911 C4S, Preferably 2011-2012.

mr2mike
12-07-2016, 10:17 AM
I love how everyone wants an expensive "ultimate" winter vehicle.

My criteria.
1)Very low depreciation value
2) Solid metal construction
3) Good clearance
4) 4 Wheel drive

Grab this one w/Diesel motor, toss some winters on this bad boy, Sand bags in the back, some PL;PD and go.
http://i49.tinypic.com/dyx3li.jpg

soloracer
12-07-2016, 10:22 AM
My URS4 is a tank in winter. Cheap car to buy, with studded snow tires it drives through snow like nothing else I have had and makes nice 5 cylinder turbo sounds. Now that I bought a Cayenne Turbo I don't need it any more but that has nothing to do with it's capabilities.

Mitsu3000gt
12-07-2016, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Mercedes G63 AMG 6X6

:nut:

+1 This was my first thought as well. Bonus points if you could get 6 of those tank-track things on there like this

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--xO_s6NHX--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/17jb3j807jy96jpg.jpg

6X6, heavy AF, and luxurious. Perfect winder vehicle.

spikerS
12-07-2016, 10:25 AM

Honestly, as far as cheap and a winter car that could still be a lot of fun, I would submit a Suzuki X-90. 2 seater, capable 4x4, and pretty rare. I know they don't get much love, but I still love them and want one.

Put some aggressive studded snow tires on it, and let er rip.

and FYI, you can get these for like $1500-$4000, but they don't come up too often as they were only made for a couple years in the 90s.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/X90silver.jpg

SOAB
I'm biased of course but i love my F150 for winter driving. full time 4WD with heated seats, heated steering wheel and climate control, she never gets stuck or leaves me stranded.

dirtsniffer
Originally posted by killramos
4WD JDM Honda Fit with Hakka 8's. /thread
Too bad it was never offered here.
Aside from that I would go with Civic Si in the cheap category. Toss on some Hakka 8's and let the FWD, LSD, and manual transmission combo do the work. Fun car too!
Not really much in the way of options for cheap+awd so... Maybe Toyota Matrix, is that still for sale?
You sure the answer for ultimate cheap winter car is not a bentayga? ;)

Personally, I would look for a second gen talon that hasn't exploded yet.

CLiVE
12-07-2016, 10:28 AM
Agree with the 911 Turbo comments...or the R8.

Of the cars I've owned though.

Dodge Stealth TT (Blizzak MZ01s) - a tank with good traction and torque, but heavy to stop

BMW 325XIT (Blizzaks) - like the traction / stability control the best on the BMW of any car I've driven in winter. A bit of rear bias, so find it didn't plow through corners like some of the subarus I've driven.

Honda Crosstour (Hakka 8s studded) - Just goes. Reliable, amazing grip with the hakkas. You get over the 'ugly' driving this thing in winter.

Other vehicles I've had that were great. Land Rover Discovery, Honda Ridgeline, and currently the F150.

sneek
12-07-2016, 10:44 AM
I echo all the 911T votes.
Maybe add in a RT4WD of a Vehicross just purely out of being weird.
A friend had a vehicross in high school and it was an absolute beast in the winter. Torque on Demand was as the coolest sounding features I've ever heard of.

J-hop
12-07-2016, 10:46 AM

Sounds silly but my favourite winter car has been my old beat up GF8. Not much power as it's a NA but it starts without a block heater at any temperature, has a decent amount of storage room especially with a box on top and the biggest thing for me is the clearance. I don't need a truck but I need something that doesn't get hung up on snow as it's trying to plow a path down a mountain road the GF8 satisfies that perfectly.

A couple of years ago I was out near crowsnest pass and a friend and I were heading up a logging road to do some snow shoeing. Passed an area where a bunch of trucks were parked and didn't realize until a few minutes later I was no longer following truck tracks and was instead following two snowmobile tracks. Never been so impressed with such a cheap car. Had to keep it near full throttle for most of it but it kept going.

flipstah
12-07-2016, 10:53 AM
2012+ 911 C4S + Thule Box.

Game over.

I have a feeling an R8 would be harsh ride. Bentley CGT would be nice as well.

Cheapest winter beater would be a Subaru WRX wagon.

Buster
12-07-2016, 10:56 AM
R8 can only send a relatively little amount of power to the front.

flipstah
12-07-2016, 10:57 AM
The E550 isn't doing too bad right now. Nice clearance, massage seat, heated steering wheel.

Just waiting for parts for my roof rack. ;)

zipdoa
12-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Cheapest winter beater would be a Subaru WRX wagon.

People still want almost $10k for a bugeye wagon :nut:

I'd say the pinnacle of cheap/winter would be a B4 Audi 90. I've seen 4-5 of these go on Kijiji for $1500 or less this year. Torsen center diff, rear diff lock, B4 generation build quality, you can beat it.

In fact, I think they're such a good deal I'm going to go buy one right now and prove it.

A790
12-07-2016, 11:16 AM
TBH, that Cherokee that I had dominated winter. Like, no contest: rain, snow, ice, whatever. Winter was its bitch.

I'd still have that Jeep if it had a conventional 6 speed auto instead of a 9 speed abortion.

03ozwhip
12-07-2016, 11:17 AM
cheap...1994 JDM Celica GT4 ST205. I had one of these and by far with winter tires, it was the most planted car ive ever owned.

the only thing is it gave so much confidence that you just want to push it to the limit. if you haven't driven one, I recommend it.

max_boost
12-07-2016, 11:17 AM
911 turbo is solid as said

Any BMW or 4 matic with blizzaks have been so amazing haha virtually dummy proof

mzdspd
12-07-2016, 11:30 AM
I would love to say EVO X MR but I think the car would be too rough. So I would say a 2015+ STI with a good set of winter tires.

Fun car to slide around in and has all of the needed creature comforts for winter. Also is easily equipped with a roof rack.

NoPulp
12-07-2016, 11:38 AM
+1 for F150 4x4
I've never had great tires on the two that I've owned, but I like the way they handled. I like having the weight and ground clearance. I also like how they'll drive through anything without struggle. Only issue is stopping sometimes... just give yourself space.
I liked my 98 ext cab the best, it was tail happy but very predictable. My 07 super crew is nice, but I find the weight is too far back so when it slides the whole truck slides.

2nd gen escapes are incredible! Very stable, good clearance, nice auto 4wd and traction control. Just boring to drive.

I've disliked any cars that I've drove in the winter. I just find that they're more affected going through snow/slush and get pushed around. I like bigger vehicles that just plow through it.

mzdspd
12-07-2016, 11:59 AM
Lets not forget the Grand Cherokee SRT.. That would be a blast in the snow! I think the GC SRT is the winter vehicle choice for about half of Edmonton.

tonytiger55
12-07-2016, 12:02 PM
Ulimate Winter car...
The Lancia Delta...

http://veddro.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/07/integrale-725x464.jpg

A manual transmission Subaru I would not mind.

As the ultimate cheap winter car...
My current 2002 Honda CRV with winter tires is not too bad. Its boring 99% of the time and I question myself regularly what am I doing with my life. But on days like last Sunday and Monday I am so glad.
Its manual transmission, I can feel a lot more with the road. Im also not relying too much on my brakes. I just shift down and let engine braking slow me. It’s useful at intersections where there is a lot of ice or downhill sections of a road.
Its front wheel drive, but if I need AWD I drop to the relevant gear to take the revs just above 3000 RPM. This engages the AWD and sends power to the rear wheels. Its pretty reliable too...

R-Audi
12-07-2016, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by mzdspd
Lets not forget the Grand Cherokee SRT.. That would be a blast in the snow! I think the GC SRT is the winter vehicle choice for about half of Edmonton.

It has a strong rwd bias.... not great in the snow.

My choice would be an Audi RS7. I absolutely love those! Fast, 4 doors and lots of room! I need space for hockey gear and the occasional time I have to take the kids.

If high clearance was required.. then Id go 4Runner TRD Pro or Trail.

spikerS
12-07-2016, 12:19 PM
meanwhile in Vancouver....

https://i.redd.it/a1yoe16esu1y.jpg

flipstah
12-07-2016, 12:23 PM

People still want almost $10k for a bugeye wagon :nut:

I'd say the pinnacle of cheap/winter would be a B4 Audi 90. I've seen 4-5 of these go on Kijiji for $1500 or less this year. Torsen center diff, rear diff lock, B4 generation build quality, you can beat it.

In fact, I think they're such a good deal I'm going to go buy one right now and prove it.

Sounds like you want to do a $500 challenge.

Sentry
12-07-2016, 12:31 PM
My E34 540i with studded tires, a manual trans, and welded diff was my favourite winter car so far. Loved it so much I'm picking up a spare diff tomorrow to weld up and toss into my E39 wagon. Do I "need" 300 horsepower in winter? Probably not. But it makes it more bearable and driving a lot less boring. :poosie:

8EuLLfA1FL0

Both the E34 and E39s have a shit ton of steering angle and long wheelbase so you can hang them way out without losing control. Not to mention heated leather that gets seriously toasty seriously fast. Weight gives them traction for starting from a stop. Also very well insulated, no drafts at all, can make the car 30+ degrees inside when it's -20 outside given about a half hour of driving. "Warm enough" takes only 5-10 mins.

Did I mention you can pick one up in decent condition for about 3 grand?

ercchry
12-07-2016, 12:32 PM
The rubicon was a beast in the snow, locking diffs ftw... but purely based on fun factor the e90 m3 is a blast, press of a button and all the nannies go away on the fly, so much power... so controllable

But no block heater, and that thick factory oil makes me cry a bit when I start it on days like today

flipstah
12-07-2016, 12:35 PM
I figured out how to turn off all of the nannies on the Merc, so I can run this bitch sideways.

NoPulp
12-07-2016, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
[B]

Yeah the early srt jeeps aren't good, 2 friends had them. Not sure why they came awd, they're so rwd it they should have saved the cost and weight.

zipdoa
12-07-2016, 12:41 PM
So I found a minty B4 Audi 90...... but it's fucking FWD.

.... but the rear end from any B4/B5 Quattro bolts right in. Identical floor pan. Swap subframe, diff, trans, driveshafts and suspension components and she's golden.

I think I might have to buy it and do this, lol.

K3RMiTdot
12-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Panamera Turbo S

austic
12-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Nissan GTR, although not the best choice do the ride height if there is not a ton of snow it would be fun as hell

msommers
12-07-2016, 01:04 PM

.... but the rear end from any B4/B5 Quattro bolts right in. Identical floor pan. Swap subframe, diff, trans, driveshafts and suspension components and she's golden.

Yes. Yes you do!

n1zm0
12-07-2016, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I'd go with a continental gt. Just something about cruising around in luxury while the weather and roads are shit seems awesome.

Why is that this seems to be the most common high end luxury vehicle I've seen as a winter 'beater' on CGY streets and it's not the same guy I'm seeing it's different owners driving these.

For me, I have never had a good beyond baller winter beater so the '11 RDX-T with studded winters I'm driving currently has been the best. Between the tire package and the SH-AWD (albeit it's still mostly FWD biased, but watching the left and right power distribution on ice within the little screen shows me it's doing something), it has been amazing so far, feels like a T-90 on all road conditions, plus the snail is liking the Hondata reflash and cold weather. Downside: gdamned this is a heavy piglet but it handles pretty good for a CUV.

mzdspd
12-07-2016, 02:54 PM

I don't get it.. The SRT uses a Quadra 4X4 which is similar to any other GC (just beefier for the higher power). But it has a clutch pack to engage whichever wheel needs traction, and it also has a E-LSD. This system works like any other 4WD system in a jeep. So in theory, it should work great in the snow.

If that was the case, then any truck with auto 4WD wouldn't be good because it has RWD bias.

nismodrifter
12-07-2016, 03:10 PM
997 turbo

Blue
12-07-2016, 03:22 PM
R35 GTR was pre fun..

soloracer
12-07-2016, 03:28 PM

Are you sure you don't want a URS4 instead? I'll even throw in the Boxster calipers. ;)

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-07-2016, 03:54 PM
I had a Civic RT4WD with Michelin XI3, that was pretty sweet. My GF8 STi is also pretty cool but the limits are too high for fun times on the road...

I'm looking for another mid power level RWD too kinda now for fun, maybe another cheap Miata or hail damaged FRS/BRZ if one comes up.

flipstah
12-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

Why is that this seems to be the most common high end luxury vehicle I've seen as a winter 'beater' on CGY streets and it's not the same guy I'm seeing it's different owners driving these.

When I went to the Bentley dealership, they had good lease incentives.

Granted the monthly payment was more than my mortgage but relative to the price, it's quite attractive. :rofl:

HomespunLobster
12-07-2016, 04:08 PM
Had a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4. That thing was my favorite winter vehicle, and was the go to for ski hill trips. Nice ride height, comfortable seating (rear seat laid down almost flat for those people to just sleep), roof rack for skis/boards, good trunk space for gear. Only problem was it had 400,000KM and transmission didn't have 5th gear. I'd buy another of those pathfinders in a heartbeat though and bring it back to life for more winter driving.

R154
12-08-2016, 12:44 AM
I drove a couple "summer cars" (turbo civic, n/a teg) for years on all seasons or shitty winters. It wasn't until I was out of my early twenties that I came to understand the value of a dedicated winter rig.

My first dedicated winter car was an r32 gtr that was my parts car. Got it running and drove the piss out of it in winter 11/12. Had it apart for 2 years before I half assed an engine/transmission into that beat up body.

Pros: the most deliciously balanced line between power and grip on studded Michelin xice. Mechanical grip. Started just fine when plugged in. Warmed up quicker than what you'd expect. Was about the most fun I have ever had in winter. Pretty much stock minus an exhaust (3") w/resonator + cat.

Cons: rhd. Sucked for low sun angle left turns. The shit rattled and drove me insane. Sort of uncomfortably unpredictable with the ice berms and dips on ice. The tcs allowed alot of slip. Very loud because of the winter tire noise/ old sound dampening. Vibration in the summer is tolerable because of the fast speed fun. In the winter it is grating. Paralysing fear that idiots would rear end me and I would die. Very little interior comfort features. Without surgical precision with the fun pedal I would spin all 4 in gears 1/2 on snow/ice/pavement/when the car was off... Pretty much always. Took some learning.

Overall, I absolutely loved hooning in that car, and I still will one day built an r33/4 specifically for winter. When I'm able to enjoy the luxury of a 4 car garage. The engine/awd and gearing make it a riot. But for a daily, it isn't something that I would care to do now that I am not young anymore. My passengers never found it as awesome as I did. The r32 that is.

My second winter only car was an 08 4x4 Duramax has a webasto. I still own it. But only for the retardedly bad days. Usually it's a tow rig only. My brother drives it more than me.

My 15/16 has been my absolute hands down favorite winter beast. It's a b6 all sport (not allroad) a4 (sedan). 6mt, 30v v6. I did the a/c delete (common Audi issue, clutch fails and stalls the engine) and installed high flow cats. Battery relocated to the trunk. Had a webasto now it has an espar diesel fired coolant heater. Plumbed the heater into my rad and retrofitted the (boat kit) oil heater to the sides of my oil pan w/a skid plate. Did the bigger anti roll bar. Put the diesel tank in the trunk. Michelin x ice no studs. All the bushings replaced with urethane ones. Added more sound dampening to the floor. Changed the door harnesses (common Audi problem). Installed 65w ballasts and decent bulbs from theretrofitsource (stock HIDs are woefully dim). Installed s4 brakes w/ slotted rotors and better pads.

Absolutely hot/quiet and comfortable for winter. It's reasonable on fuel. Dead reliable. I think it's a beautiful car. With the espar it heats my coolant to 85 degrees c in about 3 minutes. (circulating). Oil is probably room temperature by the time the heater shuts off. This is at - 31. (Tested when I went to edmonton last year). Absolutely flawless driving experience. Only complaint is that the awd bias and tcs makes it suffer from slightly exaggerated understeer (lowish speed) characteristics when on throttle through icey corners. If I brake into an Icey corner it counter intuitively grips more. Weird. If I slow in fast out the car seems to be fairly balanced for being the same weight as a dump truck. The same characteristics that make this car mildly boring in summer, make it so very wonderful and confidence inspiring in winter. Every modern feature you can think of other than blindspot/radar cruise/fancy cluster.

Overall, aside from random quirks like the oddly short first gear and precarious main cup holder I absolutely treasure this car. I can't see myself changing it out until I'm baller enough to swap my winter parts into a b7 v8 Audi and yolo it (rs4). Do they make platinum AMA for when the rs4 would inevitably explode?

Part of me still yearns for the gtr days, but it is way more impractical and uncomfortable than what it is worth as a pure daily. But seriously, so much fun. An absolute riot.

Skyline_Addict
12-08-2016, 01:18 AM
Nissan GT-R :)

flipstah
12-08-2016, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
Nissan GT-R :)

:drool:

R-Audi
12-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by mzdspd

I don't get it.. The SRT uses a Quadra 4X4 which is similar to any other GC (just beefier for the higher power). But it has a clutch pack to engage whichever wheel needs traction, and it also has a E-LSD. This system works like any other 4WD system in a jeep. So in theory, it should work great in the snow.

If that was the case, then any truck with auto 4WD wouldn't be good because it has RWD bias.

Different AWD systems carry different front and rear bias... the SRT Jeep uses a higher rear bias to be sportier than your standard Grand Cherokee. There are quite a few different Audis with different front/rear bias as well, in their case its a different differential that changes the ratio. (4:1 vs 2:1 etc)

Sugarphreak
12-08-2016, 03:01 PM

Chester
12-08-2016, 03:49 PM
STI with studded hakka8's

Murray Peterson
12-08-2016, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

I'm looking for another mid power level RWD too kinda now for fun, maybe another cheap Miata or hail damaged FRS/BRZ if one comes up.

I love my S2000 in the winter; awesome heater, limited slip, and it will happily drive through snow deep enough to make the front into a plow :)

I think an NA Miata would be ideal -- not too much power, although a LSD would be a nice addition.

94boosted
12-08-2016, 05:51 PM
I must of driven 100+ different cars out on Ghost Lake over the years and I personally believe that the EVO X is arguably the best. 911T, STi and GTR are also pretty damn good and the S4 w/ Sport Diff probably rounds out my personal top 5.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited on studded Duratracs if you absolutely have to get somewhere. It won't be the comfiest, most refined, nor the fastest, but the locking center, front, and rear diffs means it's the ultimate factory vehicle for pure traction. The Unlimited is a bit more useful than the 2-door and the longer wheelbase makes it a bit less twitchy.

On a budget, you could just get an XJ or ZJ and throw a couple of ARB lockers in it for the same effect.

Shlade
12-08-2016, 06:45 PM
My Jeep is a pretty bad ass winter vehicle.

If I had the coin I'd daily a R35 GTR

EF9 Sedan
12-08-2016, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Murray Peterson

I love my S2000 in the winter; awesome heater, limited slip, and it will happily drive through snow deep enough to make the front into a plow :)

I think an NA Miata would be ideal -- not too much power, although a LSD would be a nice addition.

:clap: The S2000 handles great in the winter with the proper tires. Ground clearance and accelerated wear and tear are the only drawbacks but cars are made to be driven. Cost of replacement wear and tear parts would probably be close to the cost of owning a beater (insurance, maintenance, unexpected repairs, set of winter tires)

Redlined_8000
12-08-2016, 09:54 PM
GT-R or a 911 Turbo S. For now I will settle with my Golf R NDP beater.

Also if it was an Suv, probably go for the 4-Runner in pearl white :drool: If unlimited money than a G63 AMG in Black.

ShermanEF9
12-08-2016, 10:06 PM
My F150 is a pretty great vehicle for winter. probably wouldn't have anything else.

Ekliptix
12-10-2016, 10:43 PM
Audi RS7 on studded winters for everyday stuff.
MB Unimog for deep snow.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/6b/38/47/6b3847b050962fed1928c4b6a5a2fafc.jpg

Ekliptix
12-10-2016, 10:45 PM
But this year I'm expecting to be happy with my new winter beater. 4.6L V8 with studded 315's.
http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s750x750/sh0.08/e35/14718185_1078950018888947_7800504729523453952_n.jpg

Deetz
12-10-2016, 11:14 PM
for me, a new E63 wagon with some Blizzacks

r3ccOs
12-11-2016, 12:41 AM
It all appears to be a toss up between Haldex, Symmetrical, and Quattro systems however on slick iced roads with elevation, I'd sooner take a vehicle with a lower centre of gravity, proper weight distribution and the right sized tires for grip with any of the above systems.

Honestly, Subuaru's are almost bar none some of the best handling AWD vehicles I've driven when compared to vehicles in their own class... something to be said about their chassis

However I have sometimes found them to be a bit light and more vulnerable to being tossed around by big ruts. (Also with almost the worst interior of any vehicle other that mitsubishi)

There is no way I'd take a part time system like in my F150 over a good AWD system with independent suspension for icy on-road conditions... though the F150 does a very admirable job, the part time system just isn't meant for high speed work and I find without it on, has a tendency to understeer. However for absolutely almost undrivable conditions (say a 2 foot overnight dump) hell yea, having big puffy snowflake rated LT tires, clearance, A transfer case and lockable diff says, get me through anything.

The last vehicle I was in that seemed to be able tackle the world was a Volvo XC70 T6... very intuitive stability system, lots of traction from the Haldex setup, plenty of grip from the gislaved tires, a good amount of clearance yet retains car like drivability and weighs just enough to not get knocked off its tracks.

AE92_TreunoSC
12-11-2016, 12:54 AM
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j264/burwood69/rides/Picture011-1.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/burwood69/media/rides/Picture011-1.jpg.html)

Best I ever had. Miss it.

I'd love a Civic AWD wagon as well.

I really enjoy driving old subbies with no traction as well. RS's are a blast with how light they were.

I never liked Audi's, they understeer even with new blizzaks. Too much forward weight.

I hate this tacoma, part time is a pain in the ass.

TYMSMNY
12-11-2016, 01:46 AM
Porsche... and BMW X5 (not sure if it's the xdrive but damn, felt so safe and so damn grippy)

Kavy
12-11-2016, 01:59 AM
Best in snow : Toyota FJ, never even put it in 4x4 for 3 winters and it didn't slip once, miss that gas guzzling blind spot rock chipped windowed machine.

Best control : 2010 sti, I drove it like it was summer and every time I slid I felt in complete control of the slides, I don't miss this car at all.

Worst : 1996 civic si. What the shit, I would park this car and it would slide out of the parking spot.Sliding through intersections was a daily occurrence.

I'll come back to how the ATS is in winter as that's the current daily but I have only put about 50km on it since it started snowing so I have no opinions yet.

Cody D
12-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Back when you could buy a 964 for $15,000 it was the perfect fun winter car that nobody wanted, now that they are overpriced go buy a 996 C4, they are a blast in winter and not 997 Turbo money.

http://i.imgur.com/jqNjfDh.jpg

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-11-2016, 10:20 AM
My JDM STi wagon was really fun at Rally X yesterday. Probably one of my favourite winter cars I've owned so far but it sounds like it's dying at this temp haha.

Boosted_TL
12-11-2016, 10:36 AM
I had an F10 chassis 550ix BMW with some blizzaks and to date it's been the best all round winter car for me. I assume the weight and proper awd system is what kept the planted feel.
Plus, not much beats a V8TT. Dinan Stage 3 didn't hurt either.

I now have an E90 335d with winter sport M3's, fun factor is high, but that's where it stops.

Ultimate choice, C6 chassis RS6 Avant V10TT with studs and an Inno Shadow 16.

loweg
12-11-2016, 10:52 AM
Agreed, I picked up a 2000 forester sti for winter fun, put a set of a cooper weathermaster wsc on it and the control in the snow and even ice is amazing.

Also, the japanese mini trucks with a set of good winters are amazing in the snow and ice. Even just in RWD they are easy to slip in and out of control for fun. Cheap winters (tiny), but they are brutally cold in the winter, and my old sambar would even cool down at lights on the coldest days just at idle.

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
My JDM STi wagon was really fun at Rally X yesterday. Probably one of my favourite winter cars I've owned so far but it sounds like it's dying at this temp haha.

Maxt
12-11-2016, 10:57 AM

Different AWD systems carry different front and rear bias... the SRT Jeep uses a higher rear bias to be sportier than your standard Grand Cherokee. There are quite a few different Audis with different front/rear bias as well, in their case its a different differential that changes the ratio. (4:1 vs 2:1 etc)
Depends if you are talking about the WK1 or the Wk2.

AndyL
12-11-2016, 11:35 AM
http://www.kcclassicauto.com/Vehicles/1954_Willys_Utility_Wagon_K16-675/1954_Willys_Utility_Wagon_001.JPG

But I'm weird like that - and I'd prefer with the woodie look ;)

flipstah
12-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Deetz
for me, a new E63 wagon with some Blizzacks

Omg some blonde owns a red e63 wagon in Mission, and she's Bangbus worthy. :love:

rx7_turbo2
12-11-2016, 01:12 PM
I've got an old W203 4Matic for banging around in the winter. For just everyday driving it's pretty capable. We all remember just how capable it is? ;)

https://twitter.com/cutieincowtown/status/783009172916834304

jutes
12-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Any Subaru with the DCCD system, an absolute monster in LOCK mode.

OneGreasyHobo
12-11-2016, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
you know, I gotta say F-150 (any truck really) with studded winters.

Lots of ground clearance, SOTF 4x4, locking rear diff, and can throw some weight in the back for added traction. Can carry your family, defeat the TC, and you got a rear wheel drive play toy.

FwDYgthUu_8

When was this?! This looks like so much fun, I'd love to take my G37 out.

Edit-

Wow, I should of just read the title..

zipdoa
12-12-2016, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
But this year I'm expecting to be happy with my new winter beater. 4.6L V8 with studded 315's.
http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s750x750/sh0.08/e35/14718185_1078950018888947_7800504729523453952_n.jpg

tall/narrow > short/wide

225/55
http://s30.postimg.org/dcxyv2rkx/image.jpg

shakalaka
12-12-2016, 02:51 PM
G63 eventually for the winter, because it's fucking boss.

flipstah
12-12-2016, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka

Also good way to haul the carcasses of your fallen opponents.

:thumbsup:

asp integra
12-12-2016, 03:39 PM
Audi RS6.

Plenty of space for friends on the way to the mountains, TT V8 and quattro. All you need!

http://www.dmarge.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Audi-RS6-jon-olsson-winter-snow-camo_DSC8660.jpg

r3ccOs
12-12-2016, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
Audi RS6.

Plenty of space for friends on the way to the mountains, TT V8 and quattro. All you need!

http://www.dmarge.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Audi-RS6-jon-olsson-winter-snow-camo_DSC8660.jpg

I concur

TYMSMNY
12-13-2016, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Also good way to haul the carcasses of your fallen opponents.

:thumbsup:

Done that... a deer though. Does it count if I didn't hit it?

flipstah
12-13-2016, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Done that... a deer though. Does it count if I didn't hit it?

Did you make deer sausage? If so, you have to give me half dozen.

Ekliptix
12-13-2016, 10:01 PM

tall/narrow > short/wide

225/55

I researched the pros and cons of each option. I went with wide and tall (these are 20's). I've got skinny winters on my Fiesta ST.

Traffic_Cop
12-20-2016, 12:27 AM
BMW 650 X-Drive M-sport. Change the 20's out to the winter 245/45/18's. its amazing!.

brucebanner
12-20-2016, 07:24 AM
Golf R with winters/studs has been an absolute blast.

As my ultimate vehicle though, something bigger but no idea what exactly.

roll_over
12-20-2016, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka

They look amazing and are kind of quick in a straight line but the novelty runs out very quickly. They’re great as a second vehicle for your wife that you can drive from time to time but as a daily aren’t that great.

Cross shopped this with the long wheelbase autobiography and it wasn’t even a comparison. The range was better in every way imaginable (besides reliability).

msommers
12-20-2016, 10:27 PM
That RS6 is fucking incredible!

TYMSMNY
12-20-2016, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by roll_over

They look amazing and are kind of quick in a straight line but the novelty runs out very quickly. They’re great as a second vehicle for your wife that you can drive from time to time but as a daily aren’t that great.

Cross shopped this with the long wheelbase autobiography and it wasn’t even a comparison. The range was better in every way imaginable (besides reliability).

two different vehicles.

RR - comfort and relaxing drive. gadgets and gizmos abundent.
G - truck based and go get em. spartan and bombass.

I actually think that if it's for your wife, better go get that RR for her cuz the rumble from the G63 ain't their thing.

roll_over
12-21-2016, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

two different vehicles.

RR - comfort and relaxing drive. gadgets and gizmos abundent.
G - truck based and go get em. spartan and bombass.

I actually think that if it's for your wife, better go get that RR for her cuz the rumble from the G63 ain't their thing.

What I meant is that it feels like it’s going to tip over around every corner, it’s not very comfortable, sucks driving on the highway due to wind gusts and everything is made of steel so its clunky and sounds like shit when closing doors or tailgate.

BTW, range rovers are considered to be some of the best and most capable off road vehicles in the world much like the g-wagon. Not only that but they’re both luxury suvs that are in a very similar price bracket. As for performance my supercharged v8 still packs over 500.

Not exactly 2 different vehicles.

TYMSMNY
12-21-2016, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by roll_over

What I meant is that it feels like it’s going to tip over around every corner, it’s not very comfortable, sucks driving on the highway due to wind gusts and everything is made of steel so its clunky and sounds like shit when closing doors or tailgate.

BTW, range rovers are considered to be some of the best and most capable off road vehicles in the world much like the g-wagon. Not only that but they’re both luxury suvs that are in a very similar price bracket. As for performance my supercharged v8 still packs over 500.

Not exactly 2 different vehicles.

I never mentioned that one wasn't more capable than the other. I mentioned that both are different in terms of style and ride.

You know they are mechanical doors and suppose to sound like a thud when you close it.

Your supercharged v8... lmao. You know that most of them are supercharged (diesel being the exception). You're taking a vehicle built from the ground up to be luxurious and comparing it to something that was built during war times and kept in its design till now.

I'm saying not one is better than the other, just that they are different. I have owned both for your reference.

ercchry
12-21-2016, 10:47 PM
One is an expensive Jeep Wrangler, the other is an expensive mommy wagon... why is this even a conversation?

TYMSMNY
12-21-2016, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
One is an expensive Jeep Wrangler, the other is an expensive mommy wagon... why is this even a conversation?

Who knows, just said they were different. People get so offended on the internet. yeesh.

flipstah
12-21-2016, 11:15 PM
Red Arrow >