PDA

View Full Version : Shop destroyed wheel lock key

sabad66
12-07-2016, 11:44 PM
My sister brought her car in to get some winter tires installed that I ordered for her, and later on I get a call saying the wheel lock key "blew up" because it was over tightened. I'm the one who last installed the wheels, and I know I used a torque wrench to 85 ft lbs...so I don't buy their excuse.

Here's a pic
https://i.imgur.com/OfTAYK2.jpg

And to make matters worse, they charged me $76 for his time to remove the 4 lock nuts manually.

Does this sound like something that could really happen? I feel like it was a new tech that doesn't know how to use wheel locks that fucked it up, and I would rather not pay $75 for something that's their fault.

Thoughts?

Sentry
12-08-2016, 12:14 AM
Those things wear and tear, they occasionally do that. Not really their fault. Not yours either obviously. Just, shit happens.

I had one break clean once and the little pattern was completely intact, but broken off of the key.

Try and get em to go halfers on a new set of locking lugs, or just keep regular nuts on the car and try and get em to go halfers on the labour for removing the locks.

Jatt87
12-08-2016, 12:28 AM
Pretty much what Sentry said, I had the same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago changing my tires, the key just broke like your picture and took me a little longer to get the remaining locknut off.

The charge from the shop is justified if they had to remove all 4. I'm sure they could have called you before removing the locknuts and let you approve the charges, but I guess this saved you making the extra trip and you were able to get your wheels/tires changed especially with how busy shops must be during the rush.

TomcoPDR
12-08-2016, 01:58 AM
I had GM factory wheel locks break apart too OP, changing myself, and I always make sure it's aligned. Always have a spare set of wheel lock in my garage (just $19-30 anyways), learned it working in shops that wheel locks break apart. Kinda saved the night not having to drive the other vehicle to grab a set (in the middle of the night/stores closed)

SOAB
12-08-2016, 09:53 AM
first thing i do when i get a vehicle is remove those fucking things. just more trouble than they're worth imo.

roopi
12-08-2016, 09:59 AM
If they called you and told you they will be charging an extra $76.00 to remove them and you agree then of course pay for it. Otherwise I wouldn't pay for it.

Also wheel locks are garbage and worthless. I've had them break in the past as well.

sabad66
12-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by roopi
If they called you and told you they will be charging an extra $76.00 to remove them and you agree then of course pay for it. Otherwise I wouldn't pay for it.

Also wheel locks are garbage and worthless. I've had them break in the past as well.
well they did call me to tell me it broke on the first one and that they need to use a tool to remove the 4 other ones, but no price/cost was quoted.

Anyways i'm not too concerned about the cost if it was a legitimate thing that happens and not their fault due to incompetence... sounds like this happens quite often so i'll drop it and pay for their time. I was just surprised because i went 8 full years of owning this car changing the wheels every summer/winter without any issues, then the first time i take it to a non-mazda shop it gets destroyed.

guess it's just bad luck... i can imagine the frigid cold also makes these things a bit more brittle too so maybe that contributed.

thanks for the replies and yes definitely not using wheel locks any more after this. don't even know why mazda thinks their stock 16" rims warranted locks back in 2008 :nut:

NoPulp
12-08-2016, 10:27 AM
Wait, why couldn't they use their own key after destroying yours? Don't most reputable shops have their own set of common lug nut keys?

Or were the lug nuts stuck on?

SOAB
12-08-2016, 10:44 AM
chances are slim to none that a jobber shop will have a key that matches.

we have over 100 different key possibilities for my brand at work. that is just 1 OEM supplier. can you imagine what is out there?

mr2mike
12-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Using an impact gun on locking lugs could cause it to break sooner.
Also never recommended but I've seen shops do it.

NoPulp
12-08-2016, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
chances are slim to none that a jobber shop will have a key that matches.

we have over 100 different key possibilities for my brand at work. that is just 1 OEM supplier. can you imagine what is out there?
Missed the oem key. Thought it was aftermarket, I know places like Kal tire have their own set of typical aftermarket.

78si
12-08-2016, 12:33 PM
I hate when this happens. I'm now recommending people don't use them. I personally think you have a greater chance of having wheel lock problems vs wheel theft.

88CRX
12-08-2016, 03:43 PM
first thing i do when i get a vehicle is remove those fucking things. just more trouble than they're worth imo.

This.

Should be cross referenced with this thread:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/401433/wheel-locks-worth-it-in-calgary/

Chantastic
12-15-2016, 03:04 AM
I've broken three of these by hand. I'll never use them again, especially seeing how fast the lugs can still be taken off with an impact gun.

SCHIDER23
12-15-2016, 08:37 AM
:werd:I had nothing but problems with them as well, bought some good project kicks locks for one of my cars, other doesn't have the factory ones anymore they only lasted a year and broke off .:thumbsup:

J-hop
12-15-2016, 07:46 PM
Weird, I've had 3 sets of mcgard ones and never broken or damaged any? Must be hit or miss with these

That.Guy.S30
12-15-2016, 08:27 PM
I've had my OE set for 10 years. Knock on wood. They are used twice a year and it's fine. Then again, only balance auto garage touches my car and they take plenty of care.

AE92_TreunoSC
12-16-2016, 12:36 AM
Seen lots break from improper torquing. I typically under torque the lock key to prevent this.

Trucks with keys are absolute assholes.

M.alex
12-16-2016, 01:56 AM

Same - I had a gm one break on me and I ended up smashing on a socket to get the @#$#@ off. Hate wheel lock keys with a passion - and really, they'll only stop an incompetent thief, not one who wants your rims.

EK 2.0
12-16-2016, 08:27 AM
So it's been 10 days and still no one has mentioned it...

Your sister has a cute hand...;)

J-hop
12-16-2016, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Seen lots break from improper torquing.

Yea that is my guess
(1) not torquing properly by hand
(2) lazy techs hitting them with impacts to loosen (or tighten I guess). They are essentially like a standard socket. Even a first year tech knows you should never use a standard socket with an impact gun.

BigMass
12-16-2016, 09:17 PM
Why do people use wheel locks? When was the last time someone had wheels stolen right off their car? 1987? What a pointless hassle.

78si
12-16-2016, 09:35 PM
Try taking off a Volvo xc90 14mm locking lug bolt off.
:guns:

tirebob
12-16-2016, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

Yea that is my guess
(1) not torquing properly by hand
(2) lazy techs hitting them with impacts to loosen (or tighten I guess). They are essentially like a standard socket. Even a first year tech knows you should never use a standard socket with an impact gun. No joke, but I have had more lock keys fail on me when loosening by hand then ever with an impact. Just like anything, if you are not paying attention and the key is not all the way seated before loosening, you can fuck shit up. I can break studs by hand no problem that the impact stalls on. If a lock nut is seized or over tight, the benefit of impact and torque break less sockets than just manually twisting.

I have taken off more locks than the average person, mechanics included, over my almost 30 years of doing this, and I have not broken a key with an impact in over a decade, and even then the key was a wreck already before I got hold of it.