PDA

View Full Version : Do you plug your vehicle in the cold?

Nismorphed
12-08-2016, 07:35 PM
With this cold snap do you plug your vehicle in at home, work or just out doing anything for a long period of time?

carson blocks
12-08-2016, 07:48 PM
Never. I've never had driveway parking so I never plug anything in. Modern cars are pretty good at starting in the winter. Keep it maintained with a good battery and the correct weight oil for winter and no problems, even on the diesels I've had.

Edit: Maybe occasionally trying to get a junker started. I remember a cold blooded '82ish GMC with a 6.2 diesel that got plugged in for a few hours one time.

JohnnyHockey
12-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Parked my wife's Beetle outside for the past week.. Totally forgot to take out the battery, sure enough it's dead lol

nobb
12-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Work has plugs, so I might as well use them. Gotta fix the block heater cord though. Anyone know where to buy a replacement? Hardware stores sell a NEMA plug, but they aren't covered which is what I was looking for.

Maxx Mazda
12-08-2016, 08:23 PM
Plug my EcoBoost in. It will start when it's -30, but why not plug it in? I like having my truck warm up faster.

killramos
12-08-2016, 08:28 PM
Don't have a block heater, but kindof kicking myself for lot owning a trickle charger. Battery has been pretty weak, rough starting after being outside in open lot all day this week. Would be nice to give it a couple extra amps that it isn't getting from my short commute.

Today my proximity key didn't work, had to manually unlock. Not a good omen.

J-hop
12-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyHockey
Parked my wife's Beetle outside for the past week.. Totally forgot to take out the battery, sure enough it's dead lol

Don't know what it is about VWs but they seem to have a lot of parasitic drain. I charged my Jetta's battery for a couple hours Sunday so I could last the week, should really disconnect it but I'm too much of a wuss to do it now.

nickyh
12-08-2016, 08:38 PM
No block and the LRT lot where I park doesn't have plugs either.
Yesterday she started but you could tell the car was frozen. I drove it around a long time to get my temp gauge up to normal.
Today the start wasn't that bad, but same thing, took her for a long drive again to get nice and warm.

My clutch pedal is a different story, damn thing doesn't want to spring back.

Chester
12-08-2016, 08:44 PM
I plug that bitch in. Warms up faster.

dj_rice
12-08-2016, 09:09 PM
I park on the street at work. But otherwise, I would plug it in if theres plugs nearby. Why not.

roll_over
12-08-2016, 09:35 PM
Nope, never plug it in.

Nice cars and bikes are in heated garage at a perfect 15 degrees.

Beater which I’m driving right now sits outside. I don’t even let the fluids circulate in that bitch. I literally turn it on, throw it in drive immediately and let it run out front of starbucks while I grab my morning coffee.

carson blocks
12-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by nobb
Work has plugs, so I might as well use them. Gotta fix the block heater cord though. Anyone know where to buy a replacement? Hardware stores sell a NEMA plug, but they aren't covered which is what I was looking for.

All the auto parts stores like NAPA etc should have replacement cords for block heaters in stock, they're a pretty universal item. I don't recall if they have caps or not, but they're meant for the job unlike just wiring a new plug end on from the hardware store.

jutes
12-08-2016, 10:07 PM
Wolverine oil pan heater on the beater forester. No issues with starting.

JohnnyHockey
12-08-2016, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

Don't know what it is about VWs but they seem to have a lot of parasitic drain. I charged my Jetta's battery for a couple hours Sunday so I could last the week, should really disconnect it but I'm too much of a wuss to do it now.

Her odometer stays on.. And so do the cigarette outlets...I don't think the battery was that great to begin with anyways.

ShermanEF9
12-08-2016, 10:44 PM
probably will start plugging it in when i move to my new place.

The_Penguin
12-08-2016, 10:59 PM
Haven't had a block heater on my last 4 cars.
One was an import from California, the rest '95, 2002, and 2010 didn't have 'em.

With fuel injection and synthetic oil, I find no need.
That said, in this weather you'd best not have a marginal battery.

03ozwhip
12-09-2016, 07:18 AM
99% of the time my vehicles are parked in the garage. however, this time I had to park my car at the airport(which I never do) for a 17 day shift without a block heater. I'm hoping when I'm home on Thursday night, that it starts.

RealJimmyJames
12-09-2016, 07:56 AM
In these temps, a battery tender is more important than a block heater.

Masked Bandit
12-09-2016, 08:19 AM
Once it hits -20 overnight I plug the truck in so it warms up quicker in the morning. It will still start okay without it but it just takes longer to start putting out heat.

EK 2.0
12-09-2016, 08:24 AM
None of my cars have a block heater....

On the Civic not a big deal haha shes tucked away nicely...but on the BMW...while it does start you can tell its kinda strained...I feel bad every time I push that start button haha...

bigbadboss101
12-09-2016, 08:38 AM
For sure good to plug in to keep the block warm. They say only need to plug it in for a few hours instead of the whole night so I think if one has a timer than 4 hours before leaving the house would be good for it to turn on. At my previous workplace they had plug in and of course we plug in for 8+ hours during the day.

Aleks
12-09-2016, 09:16 AM
Haven't plugged a vehicle in since the 90s

mr2mike
12-09-2016, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by roll_over
Nope, never plug it in.

Beater which I’m driving right now sits outside. I don’t even let the fluids circulate in that bitch. I literally turn it on, throw it in drive immediately

I'll start mine, let oil pressure build up for a minute and go. Typically, roll down the rear window so it doesn't fog up too bad.

Synthetic oil and cardboard covering half of rad, really high CCR battery.
Heater steering wheel. 291,000K on it. Starts everytime.

Ukyo8
12-09-2016, 11:30 AM
Never have

NoPulp
12-09-2016, 11:46 AM
I don't typically.

I did last night since the truck seemed to be starting hard, made a big difference. Might start doing it more during more when its cold since I can back into the boat's parking spot and use that outlet.

alanaround
12-09-2016, 11:51 AM
I plug the TDI in on a timer, comes on at 3am for my 6am departure. Doesn't need it, but it definitely helps in the morning, both in warm-up time and raising it from it's slumber :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
12-09-2016, 11:54 AM
I have an AGM battery + synthetic oil and my car starts up no problem in this weather even after sitting overnight. Heated parking or plug-in when possible though is obviously preferable. I warm my car up by driving it gently which lets everything warm up together, not just the motor.

The worst noises I have ever heard from a car have all been from cold starts - probably just belts slipping and such but it just sounds wrong haha.

J-hop
12-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

I'll start mine, let oil pressure build up for a minute and go. Typically, roll down the rear window so it doesn't fog up too bad.

Synthetic oil and cardboard covering half of rad, really high CCR battery.
Heater steering wheel. 291,000K on it. Starts everytime.

So I hear waiting for the oil pressure to build stated a lot but based on my knowledge and my pressure gauge readings the oil pressure should fully build within a few seconds shouldn't it? If I remember correctly a few seconds after start I'm showing 50psi or so on cold start.

NoPulp
12-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
The worst noises I have ever heard from a car have all been from cold starts - probably just belts slipping and such but it just sounds wrong haha.
Have you heard a ford powersteering during very cold start? That is the worst sound

That.Guy.S30
12-09-2016, 12:52 PM
The fj wasn't very happy this morning. The autostart didn't even start the first time. Makes me think if autostart is a good thing in super cold weather.

Mitsu3000gt
12-09-2016, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp

Have you heard a ford powersteering during very cold start? That is the worst sound

Haha, I have heard some pretty bad "whines" from cold power steering, I would agree it's also a horrible sound.

Mitsu3000gt
12-09-2016, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
The fj wasn't very happy this morning. The autostart didn't even start the first time. Makes me think if autostart is a good thing in super cold weather.

I think they can be OK if you're a car person, but most people who have them just use them to warm up their car to the point of interior vent heat, then blast away without any thought for all the other parts that haven't had a chance to warm up at all. I would imagine that is very hard on a vehicle.

Anyone know if cold starts are still equivalent to 10,000 KM normal engine wear or whatever? Or has synthetic oil and better manufacturing tolerances these days pretty much made it a non-issue? When some people start their cars after a deep-freeze, it sure *sounds* like it's putting 10K wear on it each time haha.

Winter driving is yet another plus of leasing haha.

J-hop
12-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by That.Guy.S30

Yea below -20 if it's not plugged it I use the key. I find the auto start I have doesn't quite crank long enough to catch the first time. It will take a while to charge the battery back up to where it was before two cold starts.

StreetRacerX
12-09-2016, 01:40 PM
Personal vehicles are stored in a heated garage but the company vehicle sits in front of the house. Has a block heater but I don't want to leave a cord running across the sidewalk to it.

94boosted
12-09-2016, 02:19 PM
Truck is usually outside overnight so it get's plugged in anytime it's below -20 but that's about it.

mr2mike
12-09-2016, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

So I hear waiting for the oil pressure to build stated a lot but based on my knowledge and my pressure gauge readings the oil pressure should fully build within a few seconds shouldn't it? If I remember correctly a few seconds after start I'm showing 50psi or so on cold start.

I don't have an oil pressure gauge per se but the oil pressure light comes on at start up and is on for a few seconds in the winter. In the summer, it doesn't even flicker on.
Oil is pretty solid when it's this cold (even synthetic is slow to move).
Your few seconds sounds about right. I recall back when I used standard oil, years ago, it would take awhile for the oil pressure gauge to move up to op range.

Also anyone really concerned, the oil pan heater is much better than a block heater.

There's a good youtube video on Oil on the /ENGINEERED channel. Part of the /DRIVE channel. Guy from Redline outlines some good knowledge for everyone.

J-hop
12-10-2016, 10:59 PM
Ctire has their Noco smart chargers on sale if anyone is interested. Their 0.75 amp charger is on sale for $35. Won't really be powerful enough to charge a car battery but I bought it just to maintain the battery in our car we don't drive more than once a week. Has two attachments, one uses alligator clips and the other uses eyelet connectors that could be permanently attached to the battery terminal connectors.

Managed to freeze a battery this week, too damn cold!

RealJimmyJames
12-11-2016, 07:35 AM
0.75A is plenty strong for an overnight charge or for use in a storage situation. Have heard good things about the noco smart chargers.

J-hop
12-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
0.75A is plenty strong for an overnight charge or for use in a storage situation. Have heard good things about the noco smart chargers.

Agreed, what I meant is if you intend to use it as a battery charger it's probably not what you want, you probably want 2+ amps. Charging a dead battery with 0.75 amps will be no good unless you have the option to leave the car sitting overnight like you said. Going today to pick up another one!

btimbit
12-11-2016, 02:42 PM
I've started too. Never used to when I only owned older vehicles but now that I have newer stuff I want to take care of a lot better I plug them in. I use the same timer my Christmas lights are plugged into, so it only comes in for a few hours in the morning

AndyL
12-11-2016, 03:13 PM
I've been pondering this lately... More how to tweak it for cold weather. I've got a work cummins that needs to go at a moment's notice, and no, typical company truck - batteries are weak 18 hours unused in -20 and they're not going to fire her...

Pondering using a teensy some SSRs and a temp sensor or two - just to give the batteries a top up, cycle the block heater more frequently as temps drop. See if I can find a happy medium between no start and painful power bills.