PDA

View Full Version : Outside water pipes

nzwasp
12-10-2016, 11:02 AM
So I shut off my taps and removed hoses back in October. I have a newer house with an unfinished basement that's at about 21 degrees all the time. Now that I'm at site I started worrying about that pipe freezing because you do things on automatic unsure if u turned off shut off valve or not. I have a buddy with a similar aged house less than 10 years old and he keeps his taps on so he can fill his ice rink all winter and he has a finished basement.

I feel like I should be at less risk because the area around my water pipes is always high temperature the only frozen part are the two outside spigots that I believe are frost free and only stick out 2" from house.

The_Penguin
12-10-2016, 12:01 PM
I split one a few years ago because I turned off the shutoffs inside, but didn't open the outside valve to let it drain. It was a major pain in the ass to replace, had to cut an access hole in the finished ceiling. Not worth the risk.

Darell_n
12-10-2016, 12:59 PM
'Frost Free'. No issue at all, sleep peacefully. I honestly haven't seen a home with inside isolation valves and don't see a need for them.

nzwasp
12-10-2016, 01:29 PM
My old house had a little bleeder valve thing that you could open after turning off the shutoff valve to let any water leak out of that section of pipe. This newer house doesn't

suntan
12-10-2016, 01:42 PM
I put in frost free sillcocks a few years ago, they're great.