PDA

View Full Version : Cost to build a garage today

M.alex
12-12-2016, 01:03 AM
I've been considering building a 6 car garage ... looked into it a few years ago but prices were insane during the good times. Have custom construction prices come down in today's economy and does anybody have any recommendations for companies to research?

RealJimmyJames
12-12-2016, 07:49 AM
Is this inside the city or on a rural property somewhere. Prices will be very different in those two scenarios.

G-ZUS
12-12-2016, 09:27 AM
DIY?

C_Dave45
12-12-2016, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by M.alex
Have custom construction prices come down in today's economy ....?
If you shop on Kijiji...yes.
If you want a reputable builder...No.

gretz
12-12-2016, 10:11 AM
Are you looking at detached? Ceiling Height? What dimensions for the shop are you after (LxW)?

jacky4566
12-12-2016, 10:15 AM
Must be rural. No way any lot in the city would support 6 cars without being commerical/ industrial.

AndyL
12-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Must be rural. No way any lot in the city would support 6 cars without being commerical/ industrial.

You forget about all the post war lots in the now inner city... You know the ones the developers buy as knock downs, subdivide, build 2 houses on...

sputnik
12-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by AndyL

You forget about all the post war lots in the now inner city... You know the ones the developers buy as knock downs, subdivide, build 2 houses on...

Even a 50-60 ft lot would be too small for a 6 car garage without a variance.

ExtraSlow
12-12-2016, 12:36 PM
It's doable on a 60-foot lot, but barely. not possible on a 50-foot lot to really fit in more than a four-car.

Xtrema
12-12-2016, 12:37 PM
I would assume OP is doing tandem triple if he's in the city. Or vertical with lifts?

I think a basic double detach still goes for $25K.

There are some older neighborhoods with back lane that may support that.

J-hop
12-12-2016, 12:41 PM
Beyond club house?

Gestalt
12-12-2016, 12:47 PM
I'm sure he knows how big his lot is. Prices have certainly come down compared to a few years ago, even more so if you are the contractor. We put up a 34x42 with an easement. Nothing fancy. Kind of wish I did a studio over a part of it. We hired the concrete guy, did the framing ourselves, buddy dug the ditch for service, hired electrician, roofer and drywall. I did the plumbing for the sink and small bathroom with shower. Concrete was the biggest single expense. Second biggest expense was the electrical panel and service upgrade, as we live in an older area, and it was maxed out as it was.

ercchry
12-12-2016, 12:48 PM
He lives just outside of town...

Still probably rural residential, so a giant out building could still be tricky, but I would probably go with more of a commercial solution. Steel building or even something like a sprung structure, go big or go home... plus could use it for future recreational MJ grow :D

ExtraSlow
12-12-2016, 05:38 PM
Pole barn or GTFO. :bigpimp:

Type_S1
12-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

If you shop on Kijiji...yes.
If you want a reputable builder...No.

Prices have definitely come down to reflect the current economy here. Subcontract the build out...building a garage is easy. The "reputable" builders are just subcontracting shit out anyways.

01RedDX
12-12-2016, 07:06 PM

gretz
12-12-2016, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Agree with steel building or quonset on a pad. best idea.

http://i.imgur.com/0zo6hvm.jpg

I was going to head this route with my shop but changed my mind for a few reasons... Insulation and wall finishing is limited as well as no place for shadow boards, wall hanging, shelves etc...

never
12-13-2016, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by gretz

I was going to head this route with my shop but changed my mind for a few reasons... Insulation and wall finishing is limited as well as no place for shadow boards, wall hanging, shelves etc...

I had priced out steel too but with a materials-materials comparison for the same sized buildings, steel was barely cheaper and not worth the savings for what I wanted.

C_Dave45
12-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

Prices have definitely come down to reflect the current economy here. Subcontract the build out...building a garage is easy. The "reputable" builders are just subcontracting shit out anyways.
He didn't ask if he could sub-contract it out and build it himself. He asked about a custom builder. Custom builders have not dropped their prices. It's "M-Alex"...it's not like he's some cheap ass that can't afford it.
Hire a bunch of Kijiji idiots then. You'll save a shit load of money.
:rolleyes:

speedog
12-13-2016, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566

400 feet from my place is a SFH on a single lot that measures 73' wide by 150' long, rear of yard is 75' deep from the rear of the house there. I know of another home in Cambrian Heights that is on a reverse pie lot with the rear facing back onto two alleys that intersect - one rear fence is 80' in length, the other is 100' in length, deepest point in the back yard is 124' from fence to the rear of the house. A 80x40 garage could be built with all kinds of room to spare and you could probably leave the existing 30x30 garage there as well and still have over 3000 square feet of back yard to play with. North Haven has a number of lots that measure 80' at the rear or how about this lot in Thorncliffe (link (https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.1014269,-114.0815717,3a,75y,205.97h,69.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stx6KbP9VjePvlA3RaERq2Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656)) - 110' across one section of the rear fence.

ercchry
12-13-2016, 08:28 PM
When you say "fit" are you talking physically... or within current bylaws?

Sugarphreak
12-13-2016, 08:37 PM

RX_EVOLV
06-27-2017, 12:00 PM
How much more does it cost to build a double garage with a flat top that will support a patio?

Looking at a house that doesn't have a detached garage so I want to build one if we buy it. It's on slope so if we were to build a garage it'll be a few steps up from the garage exit to the backyard, so I'm thinking it would be awesome to build one with a flat top so we can use that space as a patio.

permit aside, is it alot more to build something like that?

ercchry
06-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Thought building code changed and you can't do a patio on top of a garage anymore?

Escape
06-27-2017, 01:17 PM
I'll ask here too instead of opening another thread, but how much will a decent double detached garage cost in the city? It will be in a back lane

Xtrema
06-27-2017, 03:16 PM
i'll ask here too instead of opening another thread, but how much will a decent double detached garage cost in the city? It will be in a back lane

$20-$30k. How expensive on that scale depends on 0 lot line lot or not and how big is the pad. At least that's what I was told by a builder in Evanston where $400K house with detached double garages basically doesn't have spaces between them from one house to the next.

How much more does it cost to build a double garage with a flat top that will support a patio?

Looking at a house that doesn't have a detached garage so I want to build one if we buy it. It's on slope so if we were to build a garage it'll be a few steps up from the garage exit to the backyard, so I'm thinking it would be awesome to build one with a flat top so we can use that space as a patio.

permit aside, is it alot more to build something like that?

Not allowed, you won't get a permit. see page 36/37. Build one without permit, better hope you neighbors doesn't narc on you.

http://calgaryarea.com/content/communities/good_neighbour.pdf

Not a builder but I would assume the fortification needed would probably cost $20K+ more?