PDA

View Full Version : sudden loss of hot water temperature...

spikerS
12-21-2016, 03:29 PM
OK, need some help on things to check, don't know much about hot water tanks...

So, suddenly overnight a few days ago, we barely had any hot water when we were drawing a bath for the kids. Normally, we can fill the tub easily with pretty hot water, but this time, it was like the hot water never came on....

I turned on the kitchen faucet, and could easily keep my hand under the hot water on full blast. It was only warm at best. Left the hotwater tank to sit for an hour and recharge thinking maybe the tub drained it. Tested it again, and again, while it was slightly warmer, easily held my hand under it on full hot...

Went down to check and the temperature setting hasn't moved...so I bumped it a bit higher, and while it has gotten better, all the hot taps in the house have to be turned higher to get the same effect as before that bath event...

The tank is firing up, and the exhaust venting is warm/hot...

Anything I can check on my own, or should I just be looking to call a plumber?

JRSC00LUDE
12-21-2016, 03:39 PM
Dip Tube.

RealJimmyJames
12-21-2016, 03:43 PM
tube, dip.

spikerS
12-21-2016, 03:44 PM
wtf is a dip tube?....

off to google it.

Disoblige
12-21-2016, 03:56 PM
http://www.waterheaterleakinginfo.com/how-to-replace-the-dip-tube/

spikerS
12-21-2016, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
http://www.waterheaterleakinginfo.com/how-to-replace-the-dip-tube/

Yeah, i just watched that exact video...

I would be totally ok with doing this on my own, but I am not so sure about cutting the copper pipe. I have never done that kind of work before, and this would be a lousy time and project to screw this up on...

brucebanner
12-21-2016, 06:00 PM
A similar question, I've noticed hot water not lasting as long as it used to. No leaks that I can see, would this be a symptom of the dip tube beginning to fail as well?

benyl
12-21-2016, 07:03 PM
winter cold water is colder.

spikerS
12-21-2016, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by benyl
winter cold water is colder.

really?

I always thought that most of the infrastructure was below the frost line and that it was insulated by the ground well enough that the temperature shouldn't really vary due to outside air temps...

But thinking about it, what causes water main bursts then...same sorta deal.

dj_rice
12-21-2016, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by bruceod
A similar question, I've noticed hot water not lasting as long as it used to. No leaks that I can see, would this be a symptom of the dip tube beginning to fail as well?

If its not lasting as long as it used it, dip tube. Over time the dip tube deteriorates, the length of the tip tube fills the bottom of the tank with cold water, which forces the hot water up.

A non-existent dip tube would thus mix the cold water and hot water both together thus not as much hot water as before.

Very easy to replace, $8 from Rona or Home Depot. Come in different lengths but you can also trim to fit. Make sure to use teflon tape on the nipple connection.

dj_rice
12-21-2016, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

Yeah, i just watched that exact video...

I would be totally ok with doing this on my own, but I am not so sure about cutting the copper pipe. I have never done that kind of work before, and this would be a lousy time and project to screw this up on...

Honestly, I was in the same boat as you last month when I had no hot water pressure and had to repair. But I've learned alot the past month

Cutting the copper pipe was easy. I first purchase a new flex copper pipe to finish the job which would involve soldering, then I found a connector called a Sharkbite connection. One end has a special quick connect fitting that can snap onto Pex/Copper. No solder needed. Obviously a fused bond connection solder is better but I'm not plumber and don't want to mess up soldering.

http://www.sharkbite.com/sharkbite/wp-content/uploads/U3068FLEX12LF_3.jpg

brucebanner
12-22-2016, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

If its not lasting as long as it used it, dip tube. Over time the dip tube deteriorates, the length of the tip tube fills the bottom of the tank with cold water, which forces the hot water up.

A non-existent dip tube would thus mix the cold water and hot water both together thus not as much hot water as before.

Very easy to replace, $8 from Rona or Home Depot. Come in different lengths but you can also trim to fit. Make sure to use teflon tape on the nipple connection.

Honestly, I was in the same boat as you last month when I had no hot water pressure and had to repair. But I've learned alot the past month

Cutting the copper pipe was easy. I first purchase a new flex copper pipe to finish the job which would involve soldering, then I found a connector called a Sharkbite connection. One end has a special quick connect fitting that can snap onto Pex/Copper. No solder needed. Obviously a fused bond connection solder is better but I'm not plumber and don't want to mess up soldering.

http://www.sharkbite.com/sharkbite/wp-content/uploads/U3068FLEX12LF_3.jpg

Thanks!

BokCh0y
12-22-2016, 12:05 PM
I had the same problem beginning of 2016. Ended up to be the dip tube and a ton of sediment buildup at the bottom of the tank. Best solution is to get new tank. If your existing tank is under 10 years old, you can get it serviced. But if it isn't, no one will touch it.

I ended up going Pete the Plumber. It was $1008 for a 50 gallon tank installed. I think it was around $150-200 more than a standard 40 gallon tank.

You can try and swap they dip tube yourself, but I personally didn't feel comfortable doing it and with thesediment buildup, I lost hot water capacity anyway so for me it wasn't worth while.

If you're gonna go through a plumbing company to buy a new tank, Pete has the best prices installed hands down. Do not reach out the Clearview, they will charge you $75 just to come out and tell you their product is double the price of what everyone else charges installed, literally getting ripped off in my experience.

Alternative solution if you want to keep using your existing tank, pm mar. Sure he can give you some guidance since he does all this stuff himself.

dj_rice
12-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Another thing to extend the life of your tank if its newer is change out the anode rod every 2-3 years. This will help and somewhat prevent the calcium/rust build up in the tank since the water deteriorates the anode rod first before it goes after the tank

I myself, need to change my tank of 16 years. Crapped out last month. Action Furnace does $999 installed on a Bradford White tank 40 Gallon but only 5 year warranty. I'm thinking of buying one from Home Depot but not sure who too install

RealJimmyJames
12-22-2016, 12:21 PM
Yes clearview are scammers.

BokCh0y
12-22-2016, 03:03 PM
Another thing to extend the life of your tank if its newer is change out the anode rod every 2-3 years. This will help and somewhat prevent the calcium/rust build up in the tank since the water deteriorates the anode rod first before it goes after the tank

I myself, need to change my tank of 16 years. Crapped out last month. Action Furnace does $999 installed on a Bradford White tank 40 Gallon but only 5 year warranty. I'm thinking of buying one from Home Depot but not sure who too install

Pete did a Rheem professional 50 gallon for me, as.mentioned earlier for $1008 installed.

I did looking around to see I could buy it myself and have someone install it, but as soon as the different companies found out I wasn't buying through them, they either wouldn't install / touch it or they wanted a shit ton to install it, roughly $600 was the average quote. It was the same deal as my water softener. Tough to find someone that would install it as I didn't buy from them. And whenever I did find someone to do it, the guy said he would only do it for cash. Try Derek BRM water softening, that's the guy that installedy water softener for me, but like I said.. He would only take cash to do it. He charged me $300 to install the softener.

Thaco
12-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

Pete did a Rheem professional 50 gallon for me, as.mentioned earlier for $1008 installed.

I did looking around to see I could buy it myself and have someone install it, but as soon as the different companies found out I wasn't buying through them, they either wouldn't install / touch it or they wanted a shit ton to install it, roughly $600 was the average quote. It was the same deal as my water softener. Tough to find someone that would install it as I didn't buy from them. And whenever I did find someone to do it, the guy said he would only do it for cash. Try Derek BRM water softening, that's the guy that installedy water softener for me, but like I said.. He would only take cash to do it. He charged me $300 to install the softener.

seems pretty damn good since the cheapest rheem 50 gal at home depot is $900 anyway... for $100 to have it installed, no brainer IMO.

BokCh0y
12-22-2016, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

seems pretty damn good since the cheapest rheem 50 gal at home depot is $900 anyway... for $100 to have it installed, no brainer IMO.

Yeah apparently Pete does such a high volume that he gets some super rad pricing and he can pass that on or so I was told.

raceman6135
12-22-2016, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

This one is only $632:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.rheem-performance-50-gallon-gas-water-heater-with-6-year-warranty.1000792779.html

Still, for many of us, $1000 to have someone else disconnect and haul away the old one, then supply and install a new one, likely in an hour or two, is the more palatable option. :thumbsup:

dj_rice
12-22-2016, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by raceman6135

This one is only $632:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.rheem-performance-50-gallon-gas-water-heater-with-6-year-warranty.1000792779.html

Still, for many of us, $1000 to have someone else disconnect and haul away the old one, then supply and install a new one, likely in an hour or two, is the more palatable option. :thumbsup:

6 year warranty on that one vs the $900 12 year warranty.

codetrap
12-22-2016, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
Yes clearview are scammers. They quoted me $13k for a polyb replacment that Instant did for $4.4k

BokCh0y
12-22-2016, 11:08 PM

6 year warranty on that one vs the $900 12 year warranty.

My Rheem has a 10 year warranty.

Originally posted by codetrap
They quoted me $13k for a polyb replacment that Instant did for $4.4k

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Quoted me like $2500 I think to do the same size water tank installed. The guy that came to my house upfront said to me they're the most expensive and he even recommended I call up Pete or Knight Plumbing.

Only reason I went with clearview initially was because the fucking reviews on yelp said they were good. But I didn't see the grayed out link below all the bs false positives. Just my opinion of course.

Thaco
12-23-2016, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by raceman6135

This one is only $632:

b0kch0y mentioned the professional series, was comparing apples to apples.