PDA

View Full Version : RAM 1500/2500/3500 Truck Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

redevil
12-23-2016, 12:26 PM
So as all the other trucks having their own dedicated threads and nothing yet that I have seen for the Ram, I decided to start one here. Share your own Ram truck ideas, thoughts, upgrades, problems, etc.

I just picked up a 2015 Ram 1500 Sport back at the end of October with basically everything besides the airbags with 32,000km. I went from a 2015 Odyssey EX-L Navi and let me tell you...the Ram is much more enjoyable to drive!! Also main reason to get the truck is to better tow a tent trailer that I was towing with the van. Definitely a tighter fit in the garage now. :dunno:

I've got hooked on wanting to add and buy aftermarket goodies for the truck but had to put a stop to that asap as there is sooo many things that can be done...If only $$ wasn't a deciding factor. :nut:

Things I have done to my truck:
-Mopar tri-fold hard tonneau cover
-DeeZee Tailgate assist
-Husky Weatherbeater liners front and back
-Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 studded winter tires on OEM 20" Rims (can't wait for more snow!!)
-AMP Research BedXtender
-Philips Crystal Vision bulbs

Headlights are not much to be desired on this truck with projector headlights and not sure why they didn't come with HIDs or LED headlights yet. So upgrades I want to do would be to get LED Headlights but with the EVIC error codes not too sure what works without having to add extra resistors(wiring) to get the best light output on the projector headlights. I was considering the XenonDepot LED Canbus kit but they require the extra resistors for the wiring. The other one would be the Putco Nite-Lux but not too sure if that has extra wiring that is needed as well. Not a fan of using HID kits nor want to have a discussion of getting a proper projector kit done up for my truck.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv17/redevil69/cars/20161025_170444.jpg

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv17/redevil69/cars/20161025_190234.jpg

beyond_ban
12-24-2016, 01:47 AM
Wait, you're telling me these headlights are not HID? It is a proper projector housing, i definitely thought these all were HID with this package.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv17/redevil69/cars/20161025_155633.jpg

zieg
12-24-2016, 01:53 AM
My CX5 has projectors without HIDs too.

The new Subaru Forester has HIDs WITHOUT projectors. Figure that out.

redblack
12-24-2016, 02:14 AM
I've got a set of canbus hids from the retrofit source, works well in my 2014 sport. The cut off on these projectors are good and as bright as my A4. I can't wait until the stock tires wear out so I can grab a set of KO2's.

redevil
12-24-2016, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
[B]Wait, you're telling me these headlights are not HID? It is a proper projector housing, i definitely thought these all were HID with this package.

Yup that is right, not HIDs. You would think since Chrysler has standard HIDs on lots of their other cars and Jeeps that they would have it on the Ram. :dunno:

MoNKeE
12-24-2016, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by redblack
I've got a set of canbus hids from the retrofit source, works well in my 2014 sport. The cut off on these projectors are good and as bright as my A4. I can't wait until the stock tires wear out so I can grab a set of KO2's.

How much were those? I have a rebel and always wondered why they would put led fogs but no led or hid headlights.

Darell_n
12-24-2016, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by redevil

Yup that is right, not HIDs. You would think since Chrysler has standard HIDs on lots of their other cars and Jeeps that they would have it on the Ram. :dunno:

HIDs are not even an option on their top of the line truck. Anyway, as stated, the projector and cut-off is very good to put your own HID directly into. The reason I think they don't offer HIDs is the load height varies greatly on these trucks with the coil rear springs. It takes very little weight to raise the headlight cut-off high enough to blind everyone.

03ozwhip
12-24-2016, 10:29 AM
I have had my 2013 Big Horn since 2013 but was used with 6k on it and now has about 40k on it. I haven't touched a single thing on it mod wise.

however, I don't have projectors like you guys and my lights suck dick and I need new tires soon. driving in today's weather would definitely get me in a ditch.

any ideas on light upgrades for non projectors and decent but not crazy expensive tires? I don't think I'm going to mod my truck, I love my truck but I'm not a truck guy if that makes sense lol

legendboy
12-24-2016, 11:23 AM
I have an 08 2500 SLT 6.7L, 400k

Few mods: billet converter, shift kit, upgraded tranny oil pump, minimaxx, sport console, wheels, fender flares

Try and find a pic to post :thumbsup:

RZRSHARP_SVX
12-24-2016, 12:09 PM
I have a 2009 ram 3500 with levelling kit, 35x12.5x18 on fuel wheels, dpf delete, turbo back exhaust, cold air intake and led headlights
I will find a picture later.

Clever
12-24-2016, 02:18 PM
I picked up a 2016 Ram 1500 SLT last summer, aside from the undercover tonneau cover and side steps it's pretty stock. Looking into getting it leveled, but I haven't decided if I should go with blocks or the blistein shocks. Once that's done I'm going to sort out wheels and tires, then that's about it I'm not really sold on intakes for trucks so I'll probably skip that. Then again, I'm new to the whole truck scene so who knows what may happen down the road.

Matty_10
12-24-2016, 03:03 PM
So as all the other trucks having their own dedicated threads and nothing yet that I have seen for the Ram, I decided to start one here. Share your own Ram truck ideas, thoughts, upgrades, problems, etc.

I just picked up a 2015 Ram 1500 Sport back at the end of October with basically everything besides the airbags with 32,000km. I went from a 2015 Odyssey EX-L Navi and let me tell you...the Ram is much more enjoyable to drive!! Also main reason to get the truck is to better tow a tent trailer that I was towing with the van. Definitely a tighter fit in the garage now. :dunno: ]

Whatd you pay for your ram if you don't mind me asking. I got my eye on a black 2015 ram 1500 sport crew loaded with 60,000km for $35,000.

redevil
12-24-2016, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Matty_10

Whatd you pay for your ram if you don't mind me asking. I got my eye on a black 2015 ram 1500 sport crew loaded with 60,000km for $35,000.

I got a great deal on it for just under $40k with my van as a trade-in.

If you are looking at any from Big 4 I can recommend a great guy to deal with.

civic_stylez
12-27-2016, 02:33 PM

I work for Mopar and that surprised the hell out of me when i got my Ram Sport. Its a plain old 9012 bulb that was "specially" designed for the projector lens. I drove to Kelowna at night and thought I was going to die. Light output was so poor. Next day i did ordered the HIDs for the projectors and fogs.

Other than the light output Ive been very happy with my personal '14 Ram sport and '15 company Ram Sport. The 8 speed on the highway is amazing and the interior is second to none imo.

civic_stylez
12-27-2016, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
Wait, you're telling me these headlights are not HID? It is a proper projector housing, i definitely thought these all were HID with this package.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv17/redevil69/cars/20161025_155633.jpg

I can assure you that they are not. They are a halogen 9012 bulb.

Clever
12-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Funny enough, I was driving home tonight and beside me was another 4th gen ram 1500. We were stopped at a light and I noticed a big difference between his headlights and mine. It looked like he had after market projectors though, but whatever it was, I want one. So if anyone could recommend me a set I would appreciate it.

J-hop
12-29-2016, 11:18 PM
Any idea if dodge has got their shit together rust protection wise? I love the ram but used to work for a rental company and the gen4 rams were the only trucks I ever saw with rust (bumper chrome and rear fender wells were the main spots). I see a lot of them on the street with rust too...

Darell_n
12-30-2016, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
Any idea if dodge has got their shit together rust protection wise? I love the ram but used to work for a rental company and the gen4 rams were the only trucks I ever saw with rust (bumper chrome and rear fender wells were the main spots). I see a lot of them on the street with rust too...

The Dodge trucks are built in an old plant that is churning out the worst paint quality of any piece of machinery I've looked at in 20 years. I still bought one a few years ago, knowing this. Dealer had my passenger door repainted before turning over the keys to me. Now this door looks perfect, too perfect.

16hypen3sp
12-30-2016, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

I work for Mopar and that surprised the hell out of me when i got my Ram Sport. Its a plain old 9012 bulb that was "specially" designed for the projector lens. I drove to Kelowna at night and thought I was going to die. Light output was so poor. Next day i did ordered the HIDs for the projectors and fogs.

All you had to do was throw the HIDs in? Not blinding anyone? I have the same truck as you - '14 Ram sport. Been considering the HIDs.

redblack
12-30-2016, 10:32 PM
Here's the hids in my truck. Morimoto ballast, canbus adaptors and 5000k bulbs

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc83/redblacks14/Mobile%20Uploads/440E2ED5-AE54-4377-ACED-D696705D102A.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/user/redblacks14/media/Mobile%20Uploads/440E2ED5-AE54-4377-ACED-D696705D102A.jpg.html)

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc83/redblacks14/Mobile%20Uploads/1187E99C-B3F5-4004-9259-BAEB4FFDAF88.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/user/redblacks14/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1187E99C-B3F5-4004-9259-BAEB4FFDAF88.jpg.html)

civic_stylez
01-02-2017, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

All you had to do was throw the HIDs in? Not blinding anyone? I have the same truck as you - '14 Ram sport. Been considering the HIDs.

Projectors have a really nice cut off from the factory. Lights dont blind anyone and I did the 4300k for a real OEM look. Installing them requires a bit of work (grille removal and drilling the back of the housing) but its quite simple with basic tools and a drill. Did the fogs as well and theyre great when camping out in the bush in the pitch black.

16hypen3sp
01-02-2017, 03:05 PM

Projectors have a really nice cut off from the factory. Lights dont blind anyone and I did the 4300k for a real OEM look. Installing them requires a bit of work (grille removal and drilling the back of the housing) but its quite simple with basic tools and a drill. Did the fogs as well and theyre great when camping out in the bush in the pitch black.

Figured. Thanks for the info.

chathamf
01-04-2017, 10:48 AM
How are you guys liking your Ram? I had an F150 and after the tranny failing for the second time in a year I am done. I need something new and reliable and a Ram seems to be the cheapest option out there. I've got an offer on a brand new 2016 for about 34K. Doesn't come with crazy bells and whistles but pretty good for the price. 4x4, hemi, blue tooth, side steps, box liner, four door. Seems I can't go wrong with the price but am having a hard time pulling the trigger.

civic_stylez
01-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
How are you guys liking your Ram? I had an F150 and after the tranny failing for the second time in a year I am done. I need something new and reliable and a Ram seems to be the cheapest option out there. I've got an offer on a brand new 2016 for about 34K. Doesn't come with crazy bells and whistles but pretty good for the price. 4x4, hemi, blue tooth, side steps, box liner, four door. Seems I can't go wrong with the price but am having a hard time pulling the trigger.

Its one of those things where you will have people tell you theyre the best trucks ever and have people say theyre shit. Same with any vehicle. From my own experience, its the best truck out there. I have lots of friends with F150's, Silverado's, Titans etc and theyre all nice... i just find for an actual driving experience in the city and on the highway, the ram has an amazing ride. I would suggest the 8 speed trans if your budget will allow. Ive been very happy with mine and there are alot of people who constantly upgrade their rams for newer model rams as time goes by. Just my input.

spike98
01-04-2017, 12:07 PM

Its hard to say if its a good deal without knowing the model and options. Car cost canada is a good starting point.

I walked away with my '14 loaded sport for $42k when MSRP was $55k.

Its one of those things where you will have people tell you theyre the best trucks ever and have people say theyre shit. Same with any vehicle. From my own experience, its the best truck out there. I have lots of friends with F150's, Silverado's, Titans etc and theyre all nice... i just find for an actual driving experience in the city and on the highway, the ram has an amazing ride. I would suggest the 8 speed trans if your budget will allow. Ive been very happy with mine and there are alot of people who constantly upgrade their rams for newer model rams as time goes by. Just my input.

I agree

r3ccOs
01-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by spike98

Its hard to say if its a good deal without knowing the model and options. Car cost canada is a good starting point.

I walked away with my '14 loaded sport for $42k when MSRP was $55k.

I agree

from a reliability standpoint, I've not had any issues and the 6R80 in the F150's since 09' have been reasonably reliable based on many forums and even car reports.

I believe the 8 speed in the ram is very reliable as is the 5.7 Hemi even with the MDS

I've heard of transmission issues with the 8 speed GMs and with the active fuel management on both the 5.3 and 6.2 but overall everyone who owns a GM tells me they are rock solid

On the half ton front, I think the Tundra is still #1 overall for reliability, you pay for it, but the chassis is only as capable as a truck in the era it came out as (mid-2000s)

on the HD side, I think GM dominates with the duramax, the allison and the overall chassis.
I think the Ford SD's are sound but the powerstroke just isn't as reliable as the Duramax
The Cummins is wonderful, as is the Asin tranny but the Chassis & periphaels I've heard isn't as stout as either the Ford or GM

IMO the Ram 1500 is the value leader right now... Its reliable, its powerful, reasonably capable, and one of the most efficient (if not the most for a High output V8) for by far the best price
I like the look and the interior as well...

Maxt
01-04-2017, 02:19 PM
My 06 is nearing 400k kilometers, everything electrical still works. My GM work trucks were electrical basket cases past 140k.

chathamf
01-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I feel like I'm leaning towards the Ram. No one else can even seem to come close to the price I was offered with the amount of options. It was an SLT 4x4 Hemi and 8 speed tranny.

ExtraSlow
01-04-2017, 04:42 PM
the hemi with the 8-speed transmission is a pretty nice powertrain, and that's coming from a serious ford guy.

I've heard several people mention that teh Ram is the best deal out these, but I haven't noticed that to be the case, I think they are just better at marketing their discounts. For reference, you should be able to get an F150 5.0L XTR for pretty close to that 34K price you mentioned. Maybe 38K, I haven't negotiated on one in a while, am I out to lunch on that?

civic_stylez
01-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
the hemi with the 8-speed transmission is a pretty nice powertrain, and that's coming from a serious ford guy.

I've heard several people mention that teh Ram is the best deal out these, but I haven't noticed that to be the case, I think they are just better at marketing their discounts. For reference, you should be able to get an F150 5.0L XTR for pretty close to that 34K price you mentioned. Maybe 38K, I haven't negotiated on one in a while, am I out to lunch on that?

Agreed. Working for Mopar we see all the competition and you can definitely get an F150 for almost the same price as a Ram. Chev isnt far off either. All the marketing depts watch each other closely. Any brand doing something crazy will be closely met by most other brands. Sometimes youll catch the higher optioned models priced the same as less equipped models so watch for those as they do happen.

redblack
01-04-2017, 05:12 PM
When I bought my ram a comparable ecoboost was about 1200 more and a Sierra was close to 3k more. Tundra crew max was about 8k more lol

ExtraSlow
01-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Yeah, although there is a real perception that Ram is the value leader right now, and I guess hats off to the marketing folks that are making that perception stick.

Might have something to do with the "newer" generation Fords selling really well, maybe local dealers are attempting to give fewer discounts, I don't know. I have a feeling some folks are overpaying for the newer fords because of the perceived scarcity. I don't think there is any real scarcity though. Maybe the ford dealers are marketing a different idea . . .

carson blocks
01-04-2017, 05:49 PM
For small businesses, Ram is a value leader as often their fleet program is less sticky than the others on who qualifies for dirt cheap fleet pricing. On my last diesel, GM dealers couldn't come within $15k of the price for a comparably equipped truck and Ford was even more out to lunch.

BavarianBeast
01-04-2017, 06:09 PM
16' sport owner here. K&N intake and some good ole duratracks are my only mods..

Quick question - the traffic control on this truck continuously pisses me off. Even when you turn it off, it always seems to still be engaged.. Is there a way to code this out or any modifications that can fix it?

Cheers
BB

Clever
01-04-2017, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
16' sport owner here. K&N intake and some good ole duratracks are my only mods..

Quick question - the traffic control on this truck continuously pisses me off. Even when you turn it off, it always seems to still be engaged.. Is there a way to code this out or any modifications that can fix it?

Cheers
BB

Never heard of traffic control, am I missing something here? How do you like your K&N's, do you see a real benefit to them?

chathamf
01-04-2017, 07:12 PM
I think he means traction control.

Maxt
01-04-2017, 07:17 PM
Traffic control is the 50 Cal mounted to the roof.

Clever
01-04-2017, 07:36 PM
I think he means traction control.

I thought so too, but I still googled it anyway.:nut: just to make sure.

redblack
01-04-2017, 07:49 PM
The only way to fully disable the traction control is to put it into 4LOW

Darell_n
01-04-2017, 08:13 PM
Hold the traction button for a long time and the stability control should shut off too.

BavarianBeast
01-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Haha, shit sorry guys. I guess that's what I get for trying to type and talk on the phone at the same time.

Definitely meant traction.

I'll try the 4 low and holding the traction button off, should the traction light change colour or do anything differently if it's activated?

SOAB
01-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

i know that i got my 2014 XTR Ecoboost for just over 34K and the eco engine costs more than a 5.0L.

you should definitely be able to get a V8 for around that price now. especially a 2016 if they have any left overs.

SOAB
01-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Haha, shit sorry guys. I guess that's what I get for trying to type and talk on the phone at the same time.

Definitely meant traction.

I'll try the 4 low and holding the traction button off, should the traction light change colour or do anything differently if it's activated?

i don't think you should really be driving around the city in 4-low?

what is traction control doing that you don't like?

redevil
01-05-2017, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by SOAB

This was what I was thinking as well....that would't go over so well with the truck. I don't notice the traction control on this truck, unless I'm going through a slippery corner then the TCS light flickers on the dash. I've turned it off to get out of a deep snow bank once.

r3ccOs
01-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by SOAB

I'll be honest, the TC and VSC on the F150 is awful... if its icy out it seems to be better to run 4x4 without T/C on

the TC on other cars and SUV's I've driven aren't nearly as invasive as how its programmed with the F150

gotta wonder if its the same situation with the Rams?

civic_stylez
01-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

I'll be honest, the TC and VSC on the F150 is awful... if its icy out it seems to be better to run 4x4 without T/C on

the TC on other cars and SUV's I've driven aren't nearly as invasive as how its programmed with the F150

I run my truck in 4x4 auto mode when the roads are bad/heavy snow. I do have winters as well but I find the system to be pretty good when it senses slippage. I havent winter driven an F150 so I cant really compare but it handles well on ice.. the biggest flaw is the Goodyear SRA tires...garbage.

Aleks
01-06-2017, 08:40 AM
When I bought my ram a comparable ecoboost was about 1200 more and a Sierra was close to 3k more. Tundra crew max was about 8k more lol

When I was looking in 2014, Tundra was by far the best lease deal. And total prices were comparable. They were even doing around $10,000 in discounts if you paid cash. Prices have since gone up significantly at Toyota.

I've looked at Rams and F-150s a lot lately and I find that Rams have higher MSRP than Fords but Ram is also discounted way more from factory and the have better lease programs too. Also visited their respective boards too and truthfully the Ford forums are scary to read. Issue upon issue it seems from misfires/no start to doors not working in cold conditions. I'm sure it's skewed by the crazy volume they sell but that's just what I've seen browsing online.

JfuckinC
01-06-2017, 09:29 AM
TC on the dodge is great in my opinion, you can pretty well pin it anywhere on slippery roads and it keeps you in check haha.... but ya, turning it all the way off doesn't seem to be a thing, you cant do donuts sorry man... Unless you pull a fuse.

SOAB
01-06-2017, 09:59 AM

really? my truck has been solid this winter. i have my winters on and just leave it in 4A.

carson blocks
01-06-2017, 10:04 AM
I tested my TC in my Ram last night. TC off will let you wheelspin to infinity, but still keeps the stability program on halfway. With the TC off, it will let me hang it out far enough to play 'Tokyo Drift' on snowy roads in my old-man spec Longhorn, but pulls it back in line before looping it.

chathamf
01-06-2017, 10:52 AM
Any Dodge salesman on here? Not feeling the love with who I am currently dealing with and would rather hook a Beyonder up with the sale.

BavarianBeast
01-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Main reason I was asking was because I spend about 30% of my time out at my farm and its quite a lot of fun ripping through the fields when there is a couple feet of snow. Just not much fun when traction control keeps you from pulling off huge slides. I held the button down for a solid 10 seconds and I heard a chime in the truck, the TC seems to be more disabled but sometimes I can still feel it cut power to the wheels when I'm pinning it through a corner.

Ca_Silvia13
01-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
I tested my TC in my Ram last night. TC off will let you wheelspin to infinity, but still keeps the stability program on halfway. With the TC off, it will let me hang it out far enough to play 'Tokyo Drift' on snowy roads in my old-man spec Longhorn, but pulls it back in line before looping it.

So far the traction control is my #1 complaint with the truck. Interferes way too much for my taste even when "off"

Anyone else consider running cardboard upfront? -20 seems to be the cut off for my truck. Takes forever to heat up even when driving.

carson blocks
01-07-2017, 04:53 PM
I don't find the TC too intrusive personally, way less than the Fords, but it's a preference thing I suppose. It would be nice to completely disable it, but it still lets me play 'parking lot drift king' after a fresh snow so good enough for me. Mine is a '16 with the 5.7 and 8 speed if there's any difference in the TC between years and powertrains.

As far as the heat, mine seems to be fine, it blows hot pretty quickly. What year is yours? Does it need a new thermostat? If the t-stat sticks open, it will take forever to warm up and never really get warm on cold days.

Clever
01-07-2017, 10:36 PM
Any Dodge salesman on here? Not feeling the love with who I am currently dealing with and would rather hook a Beyonder up with the sale.

Are you looking for new or used?

Contact Redlyne_mr2, he 's in the industry and can point you to the right direction if you want to deal with a Beyonder.

I bought mine from Sherwood Park Dodge last summer, my brother in law knew one of the finance managers there and I could give you his info if you don't mind the 3 hour drive. Straightforward, no BS transaction. I dealt with most of the Chrysler dealership's in Calgary, I even had AMVIC involved to get my deposit back from one of them, no one could match what the Sherwood Park guys offered.

chathamf
01-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Clever

Are you looking for new or used?

Contact Redlyne_mr2, he 's in the industry and can point you to the right direction if you want to deal with a Beyonder.

I bought mine from Sherwood Park Dodge last summer, my brother in law knew one of the finance managers there and I could give you his info if you don't mind the 3 hour drive. Straightforward, no BS transaction. I dealt with most of the Chrysler dealership's in Calgary, I even had AMVIC involved to get my deposit back from one of them, no one could match what the Sherwood Park guys offered.

Looking for new. Is he a salesman around here? Not willing to travel to Edmonton.

Clever
01-11-2017, 10:10 PM
Redline_mr2 works out of Red Deer I think, but again send him a PM as he is one of the trusted OG's here and would be able to point you to the right direction.

On a different note, is anyone else having issues with their tailgate not closing when it's cold outside? I started having issues once it got really cold the last few weeks and would take several hard shoves before the tailgate locks.

Darell_n
01-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Redline_mr2 works out of Red Deer I think, but again send him a PM as he is one of the trusted OG's here and would be able to point you to the right direction.

On a different note, is anyone else having issues with their tailgate not closing when it's cold outside? I started having issues once it got really cold the last few weeks and would take several hard shoves before the tailgate locks.

The rubber bump stops are probably frozen rock hard. Normally they are fairly soft and keep the tailgate from rattling around while closed.

redevil
01-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Haven't had issues on mine, but it's probably the grease that is on the locking latch mechanism that is way stiffer since it has been super cold outside. Maybe try spraying it with WD40 or something that will thaw it out?

Ca_Silvia13
01-12-2017, 10:23 AM

As far as the heat, mine seems to be fine, it blows hot pretty quickly. What year is yours? Does it need a new thermostat? If the t-stat sticks open, it will take forever to warm up and never really get warm on cold days.

Mine is a 2017. I also don't plug it in which doesn't really help.

carson blocks
01-12-2017, 01:03 PM
I don't plug mine in either, and I've never timed it but would have to estimate it starts to blow warm after 10min of idling or 5min of driving. Tailgate works fine too.

redblack
01-12-2017, 01:22 PM
No issues with my tailgate or undercover flex tonneau cover in this weather. You guys should install a dee zee tailgate assist, works like a charm.

carson blocks
01-12-2017, 01:34 PM
I'm thinking I need some more bass in my old man truck, but don't want to give up the fold-flat floor thing that attaches to the backseat. Does anyone here have a workable solution for a decent sub box in theirs? Not looking for window breaking competition stuff, maybe just 1 or 2 10"-12" subs?

spike98
01-12-2017, 01:45 PM
The alpine upgrade option comes with a sub under the rear passenger side and still has the fold flat. You could easily fit another one on the other side given the room there too.

Big $$ though, glass box, shallow depth 8's or 10's, Amp under passenger seat.

Or you could pick and pull the parts from an OEM wreck.

carson blocks
01-12-2017, 02:02 PM
I've got the factory Alpine upgrade with a single 8" in a plastic box under the rear passenger side. Is that the same one you're talking about? It's pretty underwhelming to be honest. I see there's a Mopar Kicker upgrade kit you can get from the dealer, but it's stupid expensive and still looks pretty cheesy. I'd pay a bit for a box if I could keep the stupid folding floor thing as it's kinda handy.

spike98
01-12-2017, 03:18 PM
I've got the factory Alpine upgrade with a single 8" in a plastic box under the rear passenger side. Is that the same one you're talking about? It's pretty underwhelming to be honest. I see there's a Mopar Kicker upgrade kit you can get from the dealer, but it's stupid expensive and still looks pretty cheesy. I'd pay a bit for a box if I could keep the stupid folding floor thing as it's kinda handy.

Ah, if you have the factory sub, then it should be easy.

Guys have had success in upgrading to something more efficient in the OEM box and reinforcing/applying sound deadening in the process. Many aftermarket players make shallow depth 8's.

If you want more than that, you can pull the OEM alpine sub/box and have a stereo shop build you a fiberglass one in each of the well's under the seat. Guys have fit shallow depth 10's in there.

Id go a reputable shop and get them to quote you. It will likely be almost a grand for the box/install though.

carson blocks
01-12-2017, 04:12 PM

Ah, if you have the factory sub, then it should be easy.

Guys have had success in upgrading to something more efficient in the OEM box and reinforcing/applying sound deadening in the process. Many aftermarket players make shallow depth 8's.

I wasn't sure if a better 8" sub and adding an amp would make enough of a difference to be worth it? I'm not looking for competition grade, but enough to feel in the back of the seat and make listening to bass heavy music fun.

Aleks
01-13-2017, 08:34 AM
So I guess there was a reason there are no 2017 Ecodiesels anywhere.

Wonder if people will pile on FCA like they did on VW now.

redevil
01-17-2017, 10:59 AM
I'm looking to replace my side steps to the OEM black Mopar side steps, anyone have a suggestion where the best place to buy them new online or locally?

Also would consider used takeoff OEM Mopar side steps as well if anyone knows of someone getting rid of some. I have a 2015 Ram Sport Crew Cab.

:thumbsup:

spike98
01-17-2017, 12:00 PM

I wasn't sure if a better 8" sub and adding an amp would make enough of a difference to be worth it? I'm not looking for competition grade, but enough to feel in the back of the seat and make listening to bass heavy music fun.

I recall a thread on ramforumz where i guy started with a better sub, braced the existing box a bit and added some sound deadening for a noticeable improvement. Up the power if need too but i wouldn't go that step unless i am going all in (2 subs, custom box, ect) as you will need to do the work for an aftermarket amp.

Honestly, the best is to just hit up a reputable car audio shop and check your options and decide what fits your budget.

r3ccOs
01-17-2017, 12:13 PM
http://driving.ca/jeep/grand-cherokee/auto-news/news/epa-accuses-fca-for-emissions-test-cheating-us3-9-billion-fine-threatened

redblack
01-17-2017, 12:41 PM
http://driving.ca/jeep/grand-cherokee/auto-news/news/epa-accuses-fca-for-emissions-test-cheating-us3-9-billion-fine-threatened

Small Diesel engines are done in North America

redblack
01-17-2017, 12:43 PM
I'm looking to replace my side steps to the OEM black Mopar side steps, anyone have a suggestion where the best place to buy them new online or locally?

Also would consider used takeoff OEM Mopar side steps as well if anyone knows of someone getting rid of some. I have a 2015 Ram Sport Crew Cab.

:thumbsup:

My local dealer had the best price on the black factory side steps. I purchased them at airdrie dodge and installed them myself. Pretty easy diy

r3ccOs
01-17-2017, 02:04 PM

Small Diesel engines are done in North America

its all about expectation management, and somehow VW and the like somehow convinced the EPA that urea based DEF somehow took oil burners and made them hybrids.

not anything wrong with the solution, just they weren't hybrids and honestly a diesel in a half-ton is a very "Smart" idea to get better fuel economy out of a working class vehicle...

03ozwhip
01-17-2017, 03:31 PM

Ive had that tailgate issue since I bought it. if it's more than -20 I don't open my tailgate. I fucked around with the bump stops and all that shit and nothing helped, only heat.

redevil
01-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Where's the cheapest place to buy a BAKFlip F1? I just sold my Mopar tonneau cover and want to go with the F1. So far cheapest place quoted me $1199. I plan to install it myself as well.

Clever
01-22-2017, 11:57 PM
Where's the cheapest place to buy a BAKFlip F1? I just sold my Mopar tonneau cover and want to go with the F1. So far cheapest place quoted me $1199. I plan to install it myself as well.

Try Truckcessories, I thought I saw it for cheaper on their website. Or maybe contact Bob at Urban X, there was a thread about tonneau covers and one of the members said he got his cover from Bob, I don't think it's the same cover but he might be able to get it for you.

JfuckinC
01-23-2017, 09:02 AM

Don't think there is any options that keep your fold flat... I have a JL stealth box with a 10" W3 under my rear passenger. It's great for the truck, adds the perfect amount of bass, and sounds good with the stock speakers. Mine aren't even alpine. My old roomate had the alpine system the sub sucked haha

One thing that bugs me about these trucks is the windshield defrost doesn't hit the windshield low enough the warm the wiper blades haha... super annoying. :nut:

dino_martini
01-24-2017, 12:24 PM
What sort of fuel economy are you guys getting with the Hemi? is the 16.0L/km city on the window sticker accurate? :eek:

HHURICANE1
01-24-2017, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
What sort of fuel economy are you guys getting with the Hemi? is the 16.0L/km city on the window sticker accurate? :eek:

If you want mileage that is close use the American numbers. Way closer than the Canadian numbers.

Aleks
01-24-2017, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1

If you want mileage that is close use the American numbers. Way closer than the Canadian numbers.

The Canadian and USA numbers are pretty much the same.

Canada adopted 5 cycle test last year.

Ca_Silvia13
01-24-2017, 01:41 PM

I'm like 80% highway but i get 13L/100km according to the dash

redevil
01-24-2017, 01:44 PM

This is what I am averaging now in the city 16.5 L/100km

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-metric/540796.png

yohan4ws
01-25-2017, 10:39 AM
Whats up Beyond.

Just bought my 1st truck in late November.

2013 Ram 1500 ST v6 Pentastar Quad Cab 4x4 3.21 - paid 19.9 w/ 78k on it.

Getting ~ 10 on Highway always going 110+, 12-13 city (lots of stop and go) averaging around 11.

Biggest reason for this purchase is I want to haul a slide in camper, which brings up a new challenge of fitting within the payload etc.

My trucks rated to have 1690 lbs payload, found an old camper the sticker says 1100lbs loaded with water so I have some room - but have yet to hit the scales.

First upgrade, Evo All remote starter. Tapped into 3 wires with the Chrysler T Harness , quick program on the computer and it was good to go.

Next upgrade, I found a steering wheel with all radio control and voice recognition buttons for $160 shipped. It's vinyl (thought it was leather from the pics) but its still more comfortable to hold than the thick ass plastic OEM I had.

I have a dimming rear view mirror w/ microphone I got used as well as the overhead console with lights ( I am missing those ) really needing bluetooth. I did get what I thought and was told was a 8.4" NAV unit, but on the back says v3 so I don't think I have nav ... time to seek out another one from the wreckers.

Already have 3 ply tires so as long as I'm within my weight range, I'm good to camp!

Recent purchases:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspension/Adjustable-Sway-Bar.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=101&t_pt=4608&t_pn=HEL7709 $301 hellwig sway bar.

They also sell airmax 1000 inner coil bags for $117 so that will help me level out my ride when hauling. I'll pick those out next week.

Darell_n
01-25-2017, 01:27 PM
The inner airbags are useless, but are cheap enough to try out without losing much. If the camper does squat the truck down lots just opt for the bracket mounted Firestone bags right off the bat.

spike98
01-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
The inner airbags are useless, but are cheap enough to try out without losing much. If the camper does squat the truck down lots just opt for the bracket mounted Firestone bags right off the bat.

Disagree 100%

I have the Airlift 1000 kit in my truck and i couldn't be happier. Fully loaded, with a properly set up WD hitch, i haul poker straight with my truck. If i put any weight in the bed, then i am sagging for sure. With the helper bags, i can run a bit of forward rake with any load.

I doubt the 1000lbs of extra cargo capacity but for light duty (like a half ton is for) they are a great addition. Especially for $100 and an hour of your time. Going with the higher bags, id worry about tires and GVWR.

yohan4ws
01-26-2017, 10:45 AM
Next question : Has anybody bought plug and play LED headlights for our trucks that DON'T have projector housings ?

I've seen reviews and photos but now its a matter of finding a brand from a reliable seller..

The pics I've seen don't distort the cut off beam so no need to flame about glaring oncoming traffic, I am conscious of that.

yohan4ws
01-26-2017, 10:46 AM

Disagree 100%

I have the Airlift 1000 kit in my truck and i couldn't be happier. Fully loaded, with a properly set up WD hitch, i haul poker straight with my truck. If i put any weight in the bed, then i am sagging for sure. With the helper bags, i can run a bit of forward rake with any load.

I doubt the 1000lbs of extra cargo capacity but for light duty (like a half ton is for) they are a great addition. Especially for $100 and an hour of your time. Going with the higher bags, id worry about tires and GVWR.

I'm with you all the way on this. If I do go with a bracket mounted setup I'll go for Boss - bang for buck they seem to be best value from what I've read - unless you can link me to a local source that sells them ~ $500 ?? ..

16hypen3sp
01-26-2017, 04:29 PM
It seems my truck has become a victim of the common exhaust manifold leak issue.

2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. 49,000 km

I parked my truck at the beginning of Dec. in my garage and went to move it Jan 18th. When I parked it, it didn't have any problems at all. I did a quick check of the fluids and started it up. It started up fine but had a very audible ticking sound. I couldn't troubleshoot any because I was leaving for Mexico right away.

I get back home from Mexico and pop the hood, check fluids again and this time I hit the command start so I can be right close to the engine when it turns over. It starts up, very audible ticking again, and it then stalls out 10 seconds later.

I open the door to find a prompt on the screen saying that the command start has been disabled and to put the key into the ignition. I recorded a video of the next attempt...

LINK HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoF10QKsEJ8

You can see that the Check Engine Light is now illuminated which it had not done before. This time I let the truck run up to operating temp and as it got warmer, the tick went away. At the time it reached operating temp, the ticking was non existant. The CEL remained illuminated through out the process.

I shut the truck down and then started it one last time and there was no ticking and the CEL cleared after running for 5 seconds.

After doing some research, broken exhaust manifold bolts and failed gaskets seem to be a very common issue on these trucks.

Does anyone know more about this?

JfuckinC
01-26-2017, 04:45 PM
It seems my truck has become a victim of the common exhaust manifold leak issue.

I parked my truck at the beginning of Dec. in my garage and went to move it Jan 18th. When I parked it, it didn't have any problems at all. I did a quick check of the fluids and started it up. It started up fine but had a very audible ticking sound. I couldn't troubleshoot any because I was leaving for Mexico right away.

I get back home from Mexico and pop the hood, check fluids again and this time I hit the command start so I can be right close to the engine when it turns over. It starts up, very audible ticking again, and it then stalls out 10 seconds later.

I open the door to find a prompt on the screen saying that the command start has been disabled and to put the key into the ignition. I recorded a video of the next attempt...

You can see that the Check Engine Light is now illuminated which it had not done before. This time I let the truck run up to operating temp and as it got warmer, the tick went away. At the time it reached operating temp, the ticking was non existant. The CEL remained illuminated through out the process.

I shut the truck down and then started it one last time and there was no ticking and the CEL cleared after running for 5 seconds.

After doing some research, broken exhaust manifold bolts and failed gaskets seem to be a very common issue on these trucks.

Happened to mine, very common and very likely what's going on with yours.. Wasn't under warranty for me for some odd reason :rolleyes:

Also happened to my old roommate, but his truck was a couple years newer so it was covered.

16hypen3sp
01-26-2017, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Happened to mine, very common and very likely what's going on with yours.. Wasn't under warranty for me for some odd reason :rolleyes:

Also happened to my old roommate, but his truck was a couple years newer so it was covered.

I see. I just called my local dealership about it and sounds like my repair will be covered under warranty. When I said 'leaking exhaust manifold' they knew exactly what I was talking about.

Still love the truck tho.

Darell_n
01-26-2017, 05:40 PM
If your truck sits for extended periods, the most common ticking sound at startup is from the MDS lifters that bleed down over time and take a few seconds to pump up again taking up the slack in the valvetrain. Nothing to worry about if this is the noise you are hearing.

16hypen3sp
01-26-2017, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
If your truck sits for extended periods, the most common ticking sound at startup is from the MDS lifters that bleed down over time and take a few seconds to pump up again taking up the slack in the valvetrain. Nothing to worry about if this is the noise you are hearing.

I just don't know. I can't troubleshoot for a while again because I'm up north working so can't do anything until early next week. I'm inclined to think it will do the same thing when I go to start it.

Ca_Silvia13
01-27-2017, 11:18 AM

I just don't know. I can't troubleshoot for a while again because I'm up north working so can't do anything until early next week. I'm inclined to think it will do the same thing when I go to start it.

Exhaust manifold are super common, my brothers went twice in 5 years and because you basically have to Re&Re the manifolds. Look at headers, they give massive gains over manifolds on these trucks.

16hypen3sp
02-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Well, I got home last night and decided to troubleshoot again this morning.

The truck started fine. No ticking. Nothing out of the usual. Just completely normal, like nothing had ever happened.

Maybe Darell_n is right?

Edit: Truck was cold started after sitting for 7 days.

GOnSHO
02-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Wooo!

Ordered a new set of headlights, RBZ430 touchscreen (Stock one), Trinity 1000 Tuner and a new Carven Exhaust Today!! :D

GOnSHO
02-01-2017, 12:03 PM

Happened to me about 2 months after my "Warranty" expired...

Bitched and complained and the dealership covered the cost of parts, i had to pay for labour to get it fixed.

Clever
02-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
Wooo!

Ordered a new set of headlights, RBZ430 touchscreen (Stock one), Trinity 1000 Tuner and a new Carven Exhaust Today!! :D

Do you have a link to the headlights you bought. I have been looking for one myself, I do not like the stocks at all.

Maxt
02-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
Wooo!

The canned tunes on the trinity for the srt8 stuff does sweet diddley squat, I hear getting a custom tune will make a difference.

GOnSHO
02-04-2017, 02:43 PM

Do you have a link to the headlights you bought. I have been looking for one myself, I do not like the stocks at all.

bought these.. $344 to my door.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2009-2016-Dodge-Ram-1500-2500-3500-Halo-Projector-Headlights-Black-H1-Slim-HID-/301446483849?fits=Year%3A2009%7CMake%3ADodge%7CModel%3ARam%201500&hash=item462f9c4f89%3Ag%3AXQkAAOSwMmBVvSxn&vxp=mtr

Originally posted by Maxt

The canned tunes on the trinity for the srt8 stuff does sweet diddley squat, I hear getting a custom tune will make a difference.

yea, ive heard the SRT tunes are kinda bleh, but i have a couple buddies who tune who will help me with a custom tune. The 91 tune is supposed to be pretty good with regards to pep on the 5.7L