PDA

View Full Version : Alien Covenant

89coupe
12-25-2016, 01:00 AM
WllguzelFFs

jampack
12-25-2016, 03:18 PM
Yup!!! So excited to see this! Can't wait!

eglove
12-25-2016, 04:05 PM
Badass. Can't wait

redline
12-25-2016, 04:28 PM
Aliens are pussies... you need to worry about the preditors

riander5
12-25-2016, 10:26 PM
At least spell it right ^

16hypen3sp
12-25-2016, 11:24 PM
This movie is going to be amazing. Really looking forward to this one.

Darell_n
12-26-2016, 09:35 AM
All it needs is a cat and tiny panties to make this a reboot of the first movie.

RickDaTuner
12-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n
All it needs is a cat and tiny panties to make this a reboot of the first movie.

Kinda what I was thinking. I remember hearing all the hype of this movie being about the engineers home world, but it just looks like a revisit to the armoury outpost that they visited in Prometheus.

I'll still watch, because why not...

03ozwhip
12-26-2016, 11:53 AM
why do you us over think a movie? I don't understand, it's just entertainment.

Darell_n
12-26-2016, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
why do you us over think a movie? I don't understand, it's just entertainment.

Overthinking is the stupidest term ever created. Even if this movie was an exact copy of the original I would still see it and be entertained. I'm just a little confused with the trailer they decided to release.

Xtrema
12-26-2016, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--cJq1pb1m--/t_Preview/b_rgb:191919,c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1474073671/production/designs/685741_1.jpg

D'z Nutz
02-23-2017, 12:38 AM
Doesn't show much but it sets the stage for the movie.

EkXgRlRao5I

D'z Nutz
02-28-2017, 08:59 PM
svnAD0TApb8

heavyD
02-28-2017, 09:21 PM
Appears to be more of an Aliens type of action/horror movie.

Feruk
03-01-2017, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
Appears to be more of an Aliens type of action/horror movie.
Exactly... I loved Prometheus and wish they'd continued down that story arc. I think I'll wait for Netflix.

riander5
03-01-2017, 10:02 AM
You guys are nuts. A movie like this has to be seen in theaters! That being said ill watch any alien movie in theaters...

Xtrema
03-01-2017, 10:58 AM
Showed too much. Teaser trailer was better.

Still excited. The theaters is going to get a lot of my $$$ this year.

sexualbanana
03-01-2017, 11:20 AM
I want more AvP

Maxx Mazda
03-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Looks damn good

blitz
03-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

Exactly... I loved Prometheus and wish they'd continued down that story arc. I think I'll wait for Netflix.

This isn't the sequel to Prometheus? I thought that was the plan all along.

kragnorok
03-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by blitz

This isn't the sequel to Prometheus? I thought that was the plan all along.

It definitely is some kind of follow-up/sequel to Prometheus, there are
some hints in the trailer showing that, but don't want to give too much away.

I did also read that apparently Ridley Scott wants to do a trilogy that takes place between Prometheus and the original Alien and this is the first of that trilogy, but that makes this still a follow up to Prometheus even if it's not considered a direct sequel.

16hypen3sp
03-01-2017, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Showed too much. Teaser trailer was better.

Still excited. The theaters is going to get a lot of my $$$ this year.

Didn't show much of the Neomorph tho, which is what I'm interested in. The Xeno looks crazy!

I think this movie is at the top of my list for must-see-in-theatres this year!!!!!

Jonathanl10
03-01-2017, 11:21 PM
I know a lot of people want this movie to be a DIRECT sequel to Prometheus where they follow Shaw's journey with David after to the Engineer's homeworld and wonder why they wanted humanity extinguished and the whole backstory around that.

However this movie is a followup sequel in terms of the Covenant crew finding the remnants of the last ship and having the story slowly transition to humanity's battle with the Aliens. Like everyone is saying, they do some stupid stuff right off the bat like not wear a helmet stepping outside an unknown planet for the first time and planting your face right in front of an opening egg. Dog tag in the trailer even says E.Shaw so it would imply she's dead and any scenes that the actress recorded is probably flashbacks, or vlog type material that the Covenant crew finds.

D'z Nutz
04-26-2017, 12:56 PM
XeMVrnYNwus

f5gxApaRczQ

shadowz
04-26-2017, 01:35 PM
I like what I see

heavyD
04-26-2017, 02:58 PM
I really hope this is good. I love the Aliens franchise and thought Prometheus was good but not great. I want a great Alien film.

rx7boi
04-26-2017, 03:32 PM
Holy shat. I do believe that's right before the scene where David (with Shaw's approval?) drop all those cylinders onto the Engineer planet, which is why the Covenant trailers show twisted black bodies on the home planet.

Inzane
05-19-2017, 09:50 PM
Haven't seen it yet.

Glancing at user reviews on IMDb and getting a chuckle from some of the YouTube reviewers (while trying to tread carefully to avoid spoilers), it seems things are looking bad.

It sounds like some of the same crap that dragged down Prometheus (stupid character actions/decisions, incomprehensible plot points or plot holes, and inconsistencies, etc. ) is prevalent in this movie too, which if true begs the question of whether Ridley Scott is still competent and of sound mind.

I fear for the Blade Runner sequel.

That said, I will go see this movie and revisit this thread afterwards.

Buster
05-19-2017, 09:54 PM
Scott isn't doing the blade runner sequel.

Saw covenant last night. Wasn't that good. Not terrible. But this franchise went the wrong direction after aliens.

RickDaTuner
05-19-2017, 11:31 PM
Man I guess I'll wait for it to come out on blu-ray, I kinda knew this was going to come out- not so well. After all the news of scraping the original idea mid filming, and the multiple re-writes throughout production.

Better luck next time I guess.

riander5
05-20-2017, 07:20 AM
I thought it was great. People are such wannabe move critics these days. It's an action movie for the most part so stop kidding yourself that it's supposed to be so intellectual. Go watch a fucking film
Festival winner

Glad I watched it in Ultra AVX! DBOX seats make me sick but they were rocking for a lot of the movie.

Buster
05-20-2017, 10:15 AM
Glad you enjoyed it.

riander5
05-20-2017, 02:26 PM
Glad you were indifferent to it

Buster
05-20-2017, 06:57 PM
Sometimes high standards are a burden.

Xtrema
05-20-2017, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Buster
Saw covenant last night. Wasn't that good. Not terrible. But this franchise went the wrong direction after aliens.

Alien is great.

Aliens is an awesome popcorn movie.

Everything after that are shit.

The prequel so far are meh. I hate it that all the protocol of visiting alien world are out the window to move the plot along. The whole thing is like someone trying to explain why a joke is funny.

It makes more sense if you can read Scott's narrative on the Engineers. The Engineer is god, our creator. They want to wipe us out because we killed Jesus which is also an Engineer sent to check on us.

Now I really don't know how Scott can make another one and put the timeline right between these 2 prequels.

LadyLuck
05-20-2017, 10:11 PM
Saw it last night in IMAX, for someone that doesn't follow the whole Alien franchise and skipped a movie or two, I enjoyed this one.

03ozwhip
05-21-2017, 03:15 PM

Alien is great.

Aliens is an awesome popcorn movie.

ok. wtf does that even mean? lol

Xtrema
05-22-2017, 08:21 PM

ok. wtf does that even mean? lol

The 1st 2 Alien movies? :dunno:

03ozwhip
05-22-2017, 08:35 PM
lol no I meant why is one a popcorn movie but the other isn't? lol

JAYMEZ
05-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Spoiler *

I thought it was pretty good. I would have liked to have more of a backstory on how cool the creator people would have been.. Otherwise it was a good popcorn movie .. give it a 7.0/10

Hallowed_point
05-25-2017, 07:35 AM
What a boring, half baked movie. The characters were incredibly uninteresting much like the story. I shouldn't be surprised given that mullet boy Danny McBride made the cast :rofl:

Xtrema
05-25-2017, 01:33 PM
lol no I meant why is one a popcorn movie but the other isn't? lol

Personally, 1st one is more of a horror movie which to me isn't a popcorn movie. 2nd one is a shot em up.

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
What a boring, half baked movie. The characters were incredibly uninteresting much like the story. I shouldn't be surprised given that mullet boy Danny McBride made the cast :rofl:

Originally posted by JAYMEZ
I thought it was pretty good. I would have liked to have more of a backstory on how cool the creator people would have been.. Otherwise it was a good popcorn movie .. give it a 7.0/10

A lot was on the cutting room floor. There is a whole prologue and crew scene that set up this movie that were cut.

Since the next Alien movie will be a prequel slotted between Prometheus and Covenant (for now), I guess a lot of questions will be answered there.

heavyD
05-25-2017, 01:43 PM
A lot was on the cutting room floor. There is a whole prologue and crew scene that set up this movie that were cut.

Since the next Alien movie will be a prequel slotted between Prometheus and Covenant (for now), I guess a lot of questions will be answered there.

Makes sense as the movie was kind of all over the place in that it starts slow and then things go so fast it feels a little disjointed and accelerated. Some good scenes and Fassbender really steals the show and makes for a creepy android but really it was more about his character than Alien or Prometheus. I give it a 7/10 as personally liked Prometheus better.

Power_Of_Rotary
05-25-2017, 08:09 PM
The characters/crew (astronauts) have the intellect of a hyper excitable 12 year old, spoilers:

-Randomly finds new habitable planet, so why not just jump right in without any safety precautions/gear other than guns and cowboy hats (yahh america)

-Dive into said new habitable planet during "storm period" with the only vessel and has no backup extraction vessel to rescue in case of emergency

-All important crew including captain was part of the exploration vessel. Putting the main ship at risk.

-Dany finds out david swapped places with Walter only after entering hibernation pods… come on….

The movie should have been more reasonable with characters intellect. 4/10

Buster
05-25-2017, 08:53 PM
yes. Requiring your character to be irrational and stupid to move the story is the hallmark of bad writing.

heavyD
05-26-2017, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary
The characters/crew (astronauts) have the intellect of a hyper excitable 12 year old, spoilers:

-Randomly finds new habitable planet, so why not just jump right in without any safety precautions/gear other than guns and cowboy hats (yahh america)

-Dive into said new habitable planet during "storm period" with the only vessel and has no backup extraction vessel to rescue in case of emergency

-All important crew including captain was part of the exploration vessel. Putting the main ship at risk.

-Dany finds out david swapped places with Walter only after entering hibernation pods… come on….

The movie should have been more reasonable with characters intellect. 4/10

If characters in horror/sci-fi movies were rational like real life these would be really boring movies as when people see something or hear noises instead of investigating a dark room or space they would head the other direction and run. People in times of crisis would stick together in groups and never split up multiple directions sending people individually to their death's. It's not a documentary here after all.

First of all it was a two hour movie and the first half was already a little slow so it appears you wanted things to drag on more running bootless errands in the name of making things realistic?

-Would you have preferred they skip the planet and head to the original destination so we could watch them sing Kumbaya for two hours?

-Would you have preferred they waited out he storm while we watched them play cards in real time?

-The captain did make the call to investigate the planet. Would be a pretty crappy leader if he didn't have the balls to be on the exploration team. That said I feel they didn't need to send over half the crew down but this is nitpicking.

-From her point of view why would David help destroy the alien? It's reasonable to expect that from her point of view David would have let her perish outside of the ship to preserve the alien but he saved her life. He could have also manipulated the doors to trap her and cowboy in the room with the alien. It was IMO kind of brilliant of David to sacrifice the alien to take control of the ship without conflict. That said I feel the ship's AI should have been able to recognize that David was not Walter immediately.

As I stated earlier I didn't love the movie but I feel you are being overly critical here because these types of movies really can't exist in an entertaining manner if everyone is making rational decisions.

89coupe
06-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Terrible movie, the casting and direction was completely flawed. The decision making, logistics and science for this movie made zero sense.

Visuals were pretty amazing but the story was just a mess.

The only good actor was Fassbender.

jwslam
06-07-2017, 11:21 AM
So with the beyond population, how has this not come up yet?

They're going to a faraway planet with a whole bunch of colonists from earth to create a new population. NOT ONE OF THEM IS ASIAN?!?!

89coupe
06-07-2017, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
So with the beyond population, how has this not come up yet?

They're going to a faraway planet with a whole bunch of colonists from earth to create a new population. NOT ONE OF THEM IS ASIAN?!?!

There were 2000 colonists, how do you know none were Asian?

jwslam
06-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
There were 2000 colonists, how do you know none were Asian?
Racial profiling of the actors on screen.

Power_Of_Rotary
06-07-2017, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Racial profiling of the actors on screen.

Lol first time watching a hollywood flick? Dont watch: ghost in a shell, dragon ball, etc.

HiTempguy1
06-13-2017, 11:53 AM
Terrible movie, the casting and direction was completely flawed. The decision making, logistics and science for this movie made zero sense.

But Wonder Woman on the other hand:

Awesome movie, was great from start to finish. Highly recommend it.

:thumbsup:

:rofl:

lasimmon
06-13-2017, 02:12 PM
I've seen all the movies in the series and though this was a good one too. I don't care so much for the "universe" and story and such. But for entertainment value it was good.

tonytiger55
07-03-2017, 10:58 PM
Just saw this (yeah I know im late to the show).
I thought it was a good movie. It had me guessing at times which was good. But gaaaaaaaawd, it needed better developed characters. Fassbender was awesome.

Inzane
07-04-2017, 01:09 PM
I saw this as well. Like Prometheus, a well-made movie, just not a good movie.

Actually it'd be a much better movie had it not existed within the alien franchise. Ridley Scott basically pulled a George Lucas and shit on the franchise with this one. What he did to the alien mythos here was no better than Lucas pulling the MITICHLORIANS bullshit with the SW prequels.

And not only that, this movie has effectively made Predator 2 NON-CANON (not to mention AvP, but most people didn't really count the AvP movies in official canon anyway). Think about that for a moment.

And the alien gestation periods as depicted in this movie? Might as well throw away any preconceived notions we got from the original 2 films.

In this film, one type of alien can apparently grow inside you to the size of a large housecat with the host none the wiser.
And the more traditional zenomorph can now instantly grow to full adult size immediately after chest bursting.

How did David develop the facehugger eggs without a queen?
How did he evolve the alien design without multiple live hosts? There was no indication that anyone other than Elizabeth Shaw was experimented on.

All these little details are minor themselves but add up to mattering in the big picture and present more evidence that Ridley Scott has really lost his edge.

Another thing that bugged me was regarding synthetic humans.
How David and his newer iteration Walter are depicted, both in Prometheus and Covenant doesn't really jive with the evolution of the synthetics as depicted in Alien and Aliens. Remember the shock and horror the crew of Nostromo experienced when discovering Ash's secret. And the supposed vast improvements in behavior by Bishop's time. Prometheus and Covenant were supposed to be decades before the timeline of Alien and these movies want us to believe that synthetics were a normal part of a crew back then too. And yet Walter has more sophisticated empathy and behavioral programming than Ash did?

As I said, a well made movie from the craft of film making perspective. Looks great, sounds great, suspenseful action sequences, cinematography, etc. Just too bad the story is weak, the characters almost non-existent, and enough inconsistencies and plot holes to almost sink the entire franchise again. The more I thought about the movie after seeing it, the more things I realized are just plain wrong about it. Too bad. But after Prometheus, I'm not that surprised.

Feruk
07-05-2017, 03:26 PM
NOT ONE OF THEM IS ASIAN?!?!

David Carradine is dead. Who they gonna get to play an Asian guy?? :rofl:

Brent.ff
07-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Watched it last night.. my biggest question is how much did james franco get paid for a 30 second selfie video and his name on the cast..?!

Feruk
08-03-2017, 08:41 AM
Finally watched it. What an absolute PIECE OF TRASH. Not only is it an epically horrible movie, it actually makes Prometheus worse (which I really enjoyed). We waited a few years for THAT?! Epic fail on plot, screenwriting, and just about everything else.

2/10

Buster
08-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Ouch.

https://youtu.be/njlXBc8Q7o4

16hypen3sp
08-09-2017, 05:06 PM
I never did update this thread for a movie I was so hyped about.

I watched it in theatres. I went in so, SO pumped but left disappointed of course. Like everyone is saying, some things in it were just dumb. The plot was weak.

The effects were alright tho.

rx7boi
08-15-2017, 09:06 AM
Yikes. I just saw some blu-ray extras for this movie. I think the franchise is going to lead into Daniels becoming the subject for a xenomorph queen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvckAPWH7cY

suntan
08-15-2017, 09:21 AM
This movie was boring. Holy crap it was so boring. Way too much talking. Needed 30 minutes cut of just talking. Unoriginal, uninspired.

Better than Prometheus, I guess. Ug.

RickDaTuner
08-15-2017, 12:19 PM
I really Don't know what to make of this movie. its almost as though R.S. just got bored with the whole alien theme, and decided to chase after the downfall of civilization through the hands of an android.
Newsflash Ridley, Its been done to death, and the alien factor of the movie "Aliens" is everything this franchise had going for it.

On top of echoing what everyone else has said, I just find it extremely disappointing that a single android took out an entire planet of beings that genetically created the Xenomorphs, some how managing to by pass Security protocals that I'm sure an advanced civilization like them would have in place.
Also whats with the 1-2 punch KO from the payload, where is their defense? again how does the civilization who created the Xenomorphs not have a way to defend themselves against them.

Idiotic collonist crew with the IQ level of jr.high schoolers, making the most asinine mission decisions....

This movie robbed me of all lore and history of the previous films, I literally have no desire to watch another Alien movie ever again...