PDA

View Full Version : Educate me - why is this torsen lsd scaring me?

AndyL
01-01-2017, 05:41 AM
So this ram 5500 has a LSD... Google says most likely a torsen.

Great around town, makes for some dorifto cornering and general smiles per gallon. And less digging / throwing jewelery (2wd)

Highway with a load on the back - it scares me. Catch a greasy spot and the back end steps out more often than not. Coast/accel/decel - doesn't seem to matter. Catch glare ice on both sides - tail wags to the right (only recall one left). Unloaded - no problem...

What am i missing, never encountered this kind of issue with a clutch style LSD (yes usually GM posi). Sign that there's a mechanical issue? Something I just need to adjust to? Is there a sweet spot in the throttle position to find?

Thanks in advance

ExtraSlow
01-01-2017, 07:22 AM
You sure it's an LSD, and not just a locked diff? What do you know about this trucks history? Were you trying to post a pic or link?

Maxt
01-01-2017, 08:52 AM
What are the tires like? My 3500 has the truetrac and drives like it's on rails in winter. I drive around with weight on all the time, I know when my truck does slip it's really slippery out and I'm usually driving by people in the ditch.

Darell_n
01-01-2017, 10:32 AM
I would say need more weight or less truck. Ever bobtail a highway tractor on winter roads? Same result as OP.

RickDaTuner
01-01-2017, 10:40 AM
I would be looking at the alignment of the rear axle, and wether it's square to the chasiss.

Worn front suspension components will cause this issues as well. Loose ball joints, and worn tie rods will unload on slippery surfaces causing the Vehicle to slip out due to changing suspension angles.

Torsten LSDs will typically lock up with in half a revolution of rotational difference, so you should only get wheel spin.

J-hop
01-01-2017, 03:51 PM
I can't really help but have you towed several different trailers with the same results? Or is this the same trailer each time.

If you've been towing the same rig the only thing I can think of is an improperly loaded/weight distributed trailer. Specifically I think a rear loaded trailer would cause this as you are unloading the rear of your truck. The stock ride height is fairly high too isn't it. Is the tongue level?

I don't know, just a thought.

AndyL
01-02-2017, 04:15 PM
It's definitely LSD not locker, locker handles totally different when cornering. Has none of those locker attributes.

Tow truck, it's got a few thousand pounds on it always, then add vehicle. Power strokes and Cummins are when I really notice it.

But towing dynamics are radically different due to distance between rear axle and pivot point. We unload front axle significantly when loaded (one former truck I scaled with a Cummins on the back with just 300kg on the front axle)

Rears are worn, sucky tread commercial tires bought for weight rating not performance. But good enough to pass a level 2 CVSE roadside last month. So since she passed that - nothing's dangerously worn. And since the DOT guy wasn't one who likes me (we've butted heads a few times) I'm reasonably sure he would have hit me for anything he could.