PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Winter Tires

artieg30
01-02-2017, 12:39 PM
Hey guys, i'm looking for a winter tire set for a 2002 BMW 540 (rear wheel drive), the good folks at Urban Ex have helped me narrow it down to two choices based on driving habits etc.

- Michelin X Ice 3
- Toyo Observe G3 Ice (non studded)

I'll only be doing city driving and the odd trip here and there to Banff/Canmore though i'd say that wouldn't really influence my decision to go with studded or a more grippy tire. From the reviews i read online and from what Gary at the shop told me the G3 tires are much better for grip and come in at ~$100 cheaper than the X Ice 3's. It would seem like a clear choice here but does any one have any feed back/input on these two tires?

Thanks,

Art

gpomp
01-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Here's a good winter tire review that lists both of your options:

https://www.apa.ca/wintertire_reviews.asp

shakalaka
01-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Quattrotires.com was substantially cheaper than anywhere else for what I needed. It's in Canadian currency as they are located in Montreal.

Nvm, just noticed you weren't asking about where to buy them lol.

Sentry
01-02-2017, 12:56 PM
I bought winters from Quattro last year and agree, their prices are excellent. Shipping is reasonable and fast.

max_boost
01-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Xi3 if you want a longer lasting tire
WS80 I swear by but tread life maybe 2/3 of the MIchelin

flipstah
01-02-2017, 01:47 PM
I use the XI3 right now on the E550 and it's holding up well.

max_boost
01-02-2017, 02:02 PM
plus Calgary driving is all about surviving until the next Chinook lol

I would say you wouldn't even need winter tires if you have all seasons and commute out of rush hour.

artieg30
01-02-2017, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the input guys! From what it sounds like the X ice 3 is a lot more durable, for those of you with FR cars and X ice 3's what's the grip like in the last couple weeks?

Max_boost, I was under that similar mentality too as i live and work downtown, in fact most of the times I would only be driving on weekends or the odd week night for groceries etc so the car rarely gets used.

However, since the snowstorm over Xmas eve where i actually got stuck on a residential street I decided to take a closer look at dedicated winter tires for extra grip and safety.

max_boost
01-02-2017, 02:37 PM
without a doubt it makes a difference and winter tires will give you that smug feeling passing the noobs driving 40 on memorial or 70 on deerfoot lol

i mean for your needs the Xi3 will do just fine. they aren't as good as my blizzak ws80
:devil: haha but they are a very popular tire 3rd generation now.:thumbsup: :winter:

flipstah
01-02-2017, 04:39 PM
Xi3 is still tail happy in mine but have to lay the hammer down to snap it.

Skyline_Addict
01-02-2017, 05:17 PM
I have the xi3 on my awd station wagon and the thing feels invincible out there. I have blizzard lm25 performance winters on my GT-R and they're only passable as a winter tire but allow me to have a lot of fun in the car when I feel inclined to slide around corners.

rlim891
01-03-2017, 10:57 PM
I have used both Blizzark and Xi3 before but this year I decided to give the Nokian Hakkappelitta 8 a try. It is far more impressive than the blizzark and Xi3. Although its a bit noisy but grip and control is insane.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/winter-tire-test-six-top-brands-tested-compared-feature-final-scoring-and-performance-data-page-3

rage2
01-04-2017, 12:26 AM
I love how every winter tire thread confuses the performance of the tires by comparing performance winters, winters, and studded winters from different brands which makes zero sense. Totally different tires for totally different purposes.

On snow and ice, studded > winters > performance winters.

On plowed roads, performance winters > winters > studded. Same order for wear rates here.

Figure out what conditions you want to maximize traction over the winter, choose the type of tire, and compare the same type across different brands to make a proper comparison and choice.

Skyline_Addict
01-04-2017, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I love how every winter tire thread confuses the performance of the tires by comparing performance winters, winters, and studded winters from different brands which makes zero sense. Totally different tires for totally different purposes.

On plowed roads, performance winters > winters > studded. Same order for wear rates here.

Figure out what conditions you want to maximize traction over the winter, choose the type of tire, and compare the same type across different brands to make a proper comparison and choice.

Yup, you're right on point.

When I'm talking about or am asked about the effectiveness of winter tires, in my mind I am always picturing them on (mostly) snow and (sometimes) ice. On plowed, dry and cold pavement during the winter, the advantage definitely goes toperformance winters.

cancer man
01-04-2017, 05:58 AM
Go buy some sandbags.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-04-2017, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by rlim891
I have used both Blizzark and Xi3 before but this year I decided to give the Nokian Hakkappelitta 8 a try. It is far more impressive than the blizzark and Xi3. Although its a bit noisy but grip and control is insane.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/winter-tire-test-six-top-brands-tested-compared-feature-final-scoring-and-performance-data-page-3

I've been pretty unimpressed with Hakka 8 Studded. I think my studded Champiro Ice Pro offer better feedback in dry conditions, feel more stable under braking on snow, and last longer too for just over half the price.

KRyn
01-04-2017, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

I've been pretty unimpressed with Hakka 8 Studded. I think my studded Champiro Ice Pro offer better feedback in dry conditions, feel more stable under braking on snow, and last longer too for just over half the price.

I second this opinion (at least on ice and hard packed snow). After spending an afternoon out on Ghost Lake, I had the chance to drive two very similar cars (2004 Subaru Impreza Outback with studded Sailun Ice Blazers vs a 2008 Subaru Legacy Outback GT with studded Hakka 8s) back to back. In all honestly, at double the cost the Hakka 8s were not double the tire. With that said, I am sure they are mildly better behaved and mannered on dry pavement.

GTR_Auto
01-04-2017, 12:34 PM
Have driven both. Both preform the same

If you go Toyos you can be cool and drive on walnuts :P

rlim891
01-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

hmm interesting to hear. Braking and accelerating on snow on my g37x was awesome.

J-D
01-04-2017, 10:39 PM
I've been quite happy with my Xi3s, but would easily have considered the WS80 or R2s in their stead. My opinion is probably pretty useless because it's my first year running true winters :rofl:

Hallowed_point
01-05-2017, 10:11 AM
I'm running the Toyo Observe GS Ice. I ran Blizzac WS80's last season and I prefer the Toyo's. I don't think I'd run another set of Blizzac's. Over priced and over hyped imo. Quite liking the Toyo's in fresh/hard packed snow. Decent on ice for a non studded tire. :winter:

artieg30
01-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. I'm planning on going with the Toyo's with the slight price difference and the fact that wear is similar to that of the XI3's.

CLiVE
01-05-2017, 02:51 PM
Opposite opinion here. I'm running the Toyos this season, and ran Blizzaks last season on my F150.

Much preferred the Blizzaks, vehicle is a lot more tail happy with the Toyos which never happened with the Blizzaks. :dunno:

With that being said. Either one will be good enough, choose the cheaper option. The biggest performance gain in winter is just switching to ANY winter tire. The difference between brands is marginal. :thumbsup:

black300
01-05-2017, 08:27 PM
I am also currently in the market for some new winters for the wife 2013 Bmw X3. It currently as near new run flat OEM tires and the traction is terrible. It spins on corners and has wheel spin.

I think Winter Tires will fix the problem, I have been looking at the Blizzak WS80's.

Anyone have experience with these?

roll_over
01-05-2017, 09:04 PM
How about gislaved they are the recommended winter tire for Volvo

GTR_Auto
01-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by black300
I am also currently in the market for some new winters for the wife 2013 Bmw X3. It currently as near new run flat OEM tires and the traction is terrible. It spins on corners and has wheel spin.

I think Winter Tires will fix the problem, I have been looking at the Blizzak WS80's.

Pretty well the next best tire. Can look at the Toyo as well

AE92_TreunoSC
01-05-2017, 10:28 PM
I dont know many that recommend the Toyo GSI3's they are meant to be studded and don't perform that close to a XI3. Nor will it last as long.

The GSI5 is closer to the XI3 in performance.

I put Xice3's on all my family and friends cars, I recommend GSI5 or WS80's for best performance and ended up with Hankooks on my truck :nut:

Also be mindful of rebates!

bigbadboss101
01-10-2017, 12:10 PM
I have Latitude XIce on my MDX now, and had Hakka 7 on my previous MDX.
Had both Hakka and XIce on my old Legacy GT. I have to say I feel more sure footed with the Hakka. The other day around the corners I didn't feel too assuring whereas in my Hakka it was good in deeper snow and most of the time on Ice. With that said the XIce is pretty firm and handles better and is quiet.
My wife has Hankook and it's noisy. Years ago I had WinterSport on my CTS-V and had trouble with slight uphills, with sandbags in trunk.

Mitsu3000gt
01-10-2017, 12:17 PM
I went with the XI3's. They seemed to have unmatched longevity, and have been independently tested maintain the vast majority of their performance even with the tread shaved right down (unlike others that are useless below 50% tread).

I've found them to be noticeably better on 2 different vehicles now compared to Blizzaks as well. Cornering and stopping is where you really notice it, and what's most important IMHO.

Mine are a few years old now and they are as good as the day I bought them still. I don't think I'll even bother looking at anything else next time I buy. Prices varied wildly, even between two of the Urban X shops in town, so get lots of quotes.

Xtrema
01-11-2017, 10:49 AM

I have to say, Blizzak LM60 is a better snow/ice tire than Pirelli Winter Zottozero 3.

But on dry road, Pirelli rules.

tirebob
01-11-2017, 12:43 PM
I always have to laugh a little because it is always interesting to see the differences of opinions between even the exact same tires, and it is no different even for me.

If I put 10 people, all with exactly the same car, and put half of them on (for arguments sake) Blizzak WS80's and Michelin XI3's, and let them all run for a month and then they switch to the other, and guaranteed half of them will say one was dramatically better and the other half will completely disagree and have the opposite opinion. It is just human nature. Brand preferences, momentary experiences stay with you, and heck... Even cosmetic appeal will all influence your final decision.

In the end, if you are comparing apples to apples, you are getting virtually the same abilities, but if you are comparing apples to oranges, it is no longer a direct comparison. If you are looking at 3 of the top ice tires, they are all decent at that. If you are looking at 3 top handling oriented winter tires, they will all be decent at that.

Personally, on my 2wd pickup, I use studded Firestone Winterforce tires. I have found nothing else that plants it in the majority of shitty weather situations as well as this set up, but it is not awesome for dry weather handling or quietness. On my wife's pathfinder, she loves the Blizzak DMV2's. Great on ice and in the normal snow levels we see around here. We have used the Michelin too in the past but find the Blizzak to be a bit better traction wise when it is severely cold, while the Michelin a bit more stable when it was warmer.

HiTempguy1
01-11-2017, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
I always have to laugh a little because it is always interesting to see the differences of opinions between even the exact same tires, and it is no different even for me.

If I put 10 people, all with exactly the same car, and put half of them on (for arguments sake) Blizzak WS80's and Michelin XI3's, and let them all run for a month and then they switch to the other, and guaranteed half of them will say one was dramatically better and the other half will completely disagree and have the opposite opinion. It is just human nature. Brand preferences, momentary experiences stay with you, and heck... Even cosmetic appeal will all influence your final decision.

In the end, if you are comparing apples to apples, you are getting virtually the same abilities, but if you are comparing apples to oranges, it is no longer a direct comparison. If you are looking at 3 of the top ice tires, they are all decent at that. If you are looking at 3 top handling oriented winter tires, they will all be decent at that.

Personally, on my 2wd pickup, I use studded Firestone Winterforce tires. I have found nothing else that plants it in the majority of shitty weather situations as well as this set up, but it is not awesome for dry weather handling or quietness. On my wife's pathfinder, she loves the Blizzak DMV2's. Great on ice and in the normal snow levels we see around here. We have used the Michelin too in the past but find the Blizzak to be a bit better traction wise when it is severely cold, while the Michelin a bit more stable when it was warmer.

For once, a very reasonable post on this subject that I can actually agree with and have zero nit picks for :thumbsup:

As the saying goes, the worst winter tire is better than the best all-season in the winter time.

HiSpec
01-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
How about gislaved they are the recommended winter tire for Volvo

I had the studded Gislaved 100 before I sold my subaru. Nothing got in my way! Really impressed! They were cheap too!

r3ccOs
01-11-2017, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

I had the studded Gislaved 100 before I sold my subaru. Nothing got in my way! Really impressed! They were cheap too!

What's amusing is that on the Volvo forms, people complain that Volvos are so bad in the winter as compared to say their Audi or BMWs but I think most of it is attributed to the fact that the Gislaved are not anywhere near a performance winter tire.

My Gislaveds and even my old Nokians had a TON of sidewall flex and made my steering vague, however that said... also the studded Gislaveds (which my dad has had since our 240s, 760, 850, S70, etc..) are really solid performers.

However the prices at valentine will shock you, and at their pricing I would sooner go to a set of Michelin XIce3, Hankook, Generals (the same), or Contis

s2k_boi
01-11-2017, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by black300

I have the blizzak ws80's on my car right now and no complaints here. Wife is running the dm-v2's on a front wheel drive and seems to be holding up nicely too.

But I don't think you can go wrong with the ws80 or x ice. My brother in law ended up with the x ice on his A4 and he seems fine with it too.

I've ran dunlops, continentals, hankooks, toyos, winterclaws (think that's the name...) & good years before. Any winter tires will out perform all seasons any day.

rage2
01-11-2017, 11:33 PM
Last couple of days have been amazing on the Hakka 8's. Need more snow haha.

That.Guy.S30
01-11-2017, 11:50 PM
Last couple of days have been amazing on the Hakka 8's. Need more snow haha.

Yup. Super cold and icy is a breeze with the hakka 8.

Hallowed_point
02-07-2017, 09:56 AM
My toyo observe g3-ices's have been nothing short of amazing. Best winter tires that I've ever ran. Only had issues of shear ice.

rage2
02-07-2017, 10:06 AM
The studs on my Hakka 8's are pretty much worn down to the last 10%, but it's still gripping pretty awesome. Huge difference compared to my performance winters on the GLA (Dunlop Winter Sport 3D), pretty much has just enough grip to not get stuck and that's it haha.

ExtraSlow
02-07-2017, 10:15 AM
My studs must be quite worn down, but I'm doing well, even had a bit of panic stop today for a ninja pedestrian and did not mow him down, so I'll call that a win.

flipstah
02-07-2017, 10:20 AM
The studs are useful for days like today. The Xi2 still slipped slightly, but not A/S crazy.

Tik-Tok
02-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
My toyo observe g3-ices's have been nothing short of amazing. Best winter tires that I've ever ran. Only had issues of shear ice.

Have the same ones, but studded. Not even ice is stopping me from stopping! Except the one time I drove over water covered ice... but nothing will help then.

If I can just figure out how to keep my god damned traction control from coming back on after I shut it off, I'd be happy.

Hallowed_point
02-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Have the same ones, but studded. Not even ice is stopping me from stopping! Except the one time I drove over water covered ice... but nothing will help then.

If I can just figure out how to keep my god damned traction control from coming back on after I shut it off, I'd be happy. I do regret not getting studs for the all of the ice in my hood. They would be perfect :burnout:

Mitsu3000gt
02-07-2017, 11:00 AM
For me, studs would be necessary maybe in a handful of specific spots, only a handful of times a year. Some winters they would be totally useless. Other than that, I would just be listening to the studs roll around on pavement so for me not worth it. My Xi3's continue to surprise me with their grip even on ice. I often feel like I shouldn't be able to do what they are letting me do, particularly with stopping where it counts the most. There's always the odd intersection or whatever where you wish you have studs, but the other 99% of the time on pavement for me anyway they would be more annoying than helpful.

Hallowed_point
02-07-2017, 11:06 AM
^So true as well. I had to run studs on my Camaro, but with all of the chinooks they were seriously annoying through most of the winter. Plus they got worn down pretty quick with all of that torque :devil:

gyu
02-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
st performance and ended up with Hankooks on my truck :nut:

Also be mindful of rebates!

Anyone know if there will be rebates for the Spring time? Or are the rebates only in October/fall time?

tirebob
02-07-2017, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by gyu

Anyone know if there will be rebates for the Spring time? Or are the rebates only in October/fall time? Always in spring too man...

Tik-Tok
02-07-2017, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Other than that, I would just be listening to the studs roll around on pavement so for me not worth it.

The only time I notice mine is going slow with the window down (like in a drive-thru), but it's a fairly insulated vehicle. My neighborhood is shit all winter long though, tall tree's preventing the sun from melting the ice completely, even with chinooks, add to that a bunch of old people driving around, and a hill... well worth it for me.

gyu
02-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
Always in spring too man...
Perfect, thanks Bob! In need of new summers too once winter is over.

PS. the x ice 3's I bought off you for this winter has been great :thumbsup:

Neb
03-16-2017, 03:56 PM
The best winter tires I ever had were by Kumho I-zen.

They had amazing grip in all temperatures and took a very long time to wear down.

Sadly I can't find them in Calgary.