PDA

View Full Version : Part Time work - overqualified?

ExtraSlow
01-03-2017, 12:06 PM
Feeling a little discouraged lately. Have been looking for some part-time work so I can supplement my income while still working on building up my business. Ideally, I'd find somewhere that needs me three shifts a week, evenings and weekends are fine, and if those shifts happened to be longer, like 10 or 12 hours that would be great.

My issue is that I've spent the last 14 years working in office-based engineering or management roles. So my resume is a bit intimidating. I need to find a way to market myself as a hardworking, mature and reliable guy. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm coming across that way. I've had two recent employers tell me I wasn't a fit for their "entry level" jobs because of my experience. One of them was a beyonder too. :cry:

I'm still looking into some temp positions, and I'm sure I can get work that way, but ideally, I'd find something more stable. I'm not looking for $50/hr or anything, I totally assume most of these jobs are near minimum wage.

Thoughts, advice, suggestions or abuse? Bring it on everyone.

danno
01-03-2017, 12:11 PM
I know where I work the manager said he would not hire oil field electricians from up north as once it picks up they will head back up there for the good money again. With All the money they put into training and loses you may cost the company as the new guy I can see there point. No advice but it sucks to be in your situation. Maybe try a snow removal company??

revelations
01-03-2017, 12:14 PM
I worked in a warehouse in the SE, while vastly over qualified (just wanted some extra cash).

People working there thought I was nuts (overqualified) , but I quite liked working in a physical job.

pheoxs
01-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Sounds silly but try dumbing down your resume? Drop off a lot of the high level experience and make it sound like you were a low level office grunt and good at assisting people and try using that to apply.

Seth1968
01-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Perhaps a temp agency is the way to go. Plus, if you're a good employee, it can often work out to be a permanent part or full time position.

NoPulp
01-03-2017, 12:19 PM
Look at it from their point of view, they probably don't want to hire someone that will bugger off as soon as they find a better job. Waste of their time and resources.

A temp job would probably be best for you while you find permanent work fit for your skills.

We're looking for an EIT, but we're looking for someone in agriculture so they don't leave as soon as oil picks up. You're a technologist correct? or am I getting you mixed up with someone else. Maybe post your skills in case someone can hook you up?

ercchry
01-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Splash on some cheap whiskey and hit up the temp agencies... different gig every time you get called but if you do a good job then that company might request you again when they need some extra labour

Or there is different things you can do part time to generate some income, like lead generating for people in commission based businesses, or flipping cars, or anything really

ExtraSlow
01-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Yeah, back in the day I did quite a few different temp jobs. Worked in a few warehouses, even a fertilizer plant (putting shit into bags for 10 hours straight). That's actually exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I have enough "brain work" to do building my company, so I don't mind laboring type roles.

The only hitch is that the hours need to be pretty predictable. I've got young kids, one of which is special needs, so stability is important. Snow removal probably can't provide that.

Seth1968
01-03-2017, 12:25 PM
A lot of the temp jobs aren't actually temporary. It's just an easier way for these employers to find a good permanent employee.

revelations
01-03-2017, 12:31 PM
People who hire casual workers (like warehouse) dont care whether youre going back to OG as the staff turnaround is retarded.

I worked in a warehouse (National Fast Freight) for 3 months and I was unusual in that, not only was I stupidly overqualified, I actually, normally, showed up for work scheduled and stuck around for a few months.

Rocket1k78
01-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by danno
I know where I work the manager said he would not hire oil field electricians from up north as once it picks up they will head back up there for the good money again. With All the money they put into training and loses you may cost the company as the new guy I can see there point. No advice but it sucks to be in your situation. Maybe try a snow removal company??

Same here, we needed a warehouse guy and had so many applications from OG guys and just ignored them because we knew theyd be gone once they got a chance at an OG job.

Originally posted by pheoxs
Sounds silly but try dumbing down your resume? Drop off a lot of the high level experience and make it sound like you were a low level office grunt and good at assisting people and try using that to apply.

:werd: Yeah its temp for you but the guy doing the hiring might not think so and the last thing he probably wants is some highly qualified guy potentially taking his job or raising issues with others for how in efficient the place is running under his guidance lol

killramos
01-03-2017, 02:01 PM
We had a guy with an MBA work at the Starbucks i was at in high school for 6 months :dunno:

But yea a lot of people are almost as bad as British Colombians here in Alberta when it comes to hiring someone with a drop of oil on the resume.

Have you considered bartending? Even working in a kitchen? Sounds like the shifts would be ideal for you based on availability. Not sure how far down the totem pole you are willing to go to find work so I apologize in advance if the suggestion of bartending or pouring coffee isn't up your alley. We are talking jobs that barely require a resume at all.

edit: One the snow removal concept, you could sign up with Mowsnowpros ( Uber for snow removal and lawn mowing ). You just work when you want so the hours will inherently work.

No idea if people actually use the app and service though, guy I know from high school started it.

http://mowsnowpros.com/become-a-mowsnowpro/

20 bucks here and there might be ok?

Kloubek
01-03-2017, 02:11 PM
It is true. I recently hired a few people and there was one individual who would have been perfect. He was a nice guy with a reliable reference and loads of pertinent experience. But that experience was in oil and gas and because the job required months of training, I didn't want to invest in training him in fear of him up and leaving in a few months when oil recovered.

The suggestion to dumb down the resume might work. Might also want to work as a contractor where you guarantee a year worth of your time.

Other than that, I have no real suggestions. I am sure there is a lot of this going on during these tough times.

ExtraSlow
01-03-2017, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Have you considered bartending? Even working in a kitchen? Sounds like the shifts would be ideal for you based on availability. Not sure how far down the totem pole you are willing to go to find work so I apologize in advance if the suggestion of bartending or pouring coffee isn't up your alley. We are talking jobs that barely require a resume at all.
100% would love a bartending or barista gig. I can pour drinks, and am presentable. Not beneath me at all.

NoPulp
01-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

100% would love a bartending or barista gig. I can pour drinks, and am presentable. Not beneath me at all.
But do you have tits?

Bar tending wouldn't be a bad gig!

Mitsu3000gt
01-03-2017, 02:40 PM
Take your hobby, craft a new resume based on that (no need to hit Home Depot or whatever with a 3-page engineering resume obviously), and apply at the applicable store. That has always been my plan for unemployment or a "keep busy" retirement job anyway.

ercchry
01-03-2017, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Take your hobby, craft a new resume based on that (no need to hit Home Depot or whatever with a 3-page engineering resume obviously), and apply at the applicable store. That has always been my plan for unemployment or a "keep busy" retirement job anyway.

:werd:

Know a few people that picked up second jobs in retail for the discounts on the things they like to buy anyways... saving money on things you're going to buy anyways is just as good as making money

Mitsu3000gt
01-03-2017, 02:47 PM
^^ Good point, you also likely will get discounts on things you like and would buy anyway.

Also just to add to my comment, I think the biggest hurdle is that wherever you go knows you'll be gone the instant a better job in your original field comes up, so they will need to be OK with that. Otherwise, who wouldn't want a personable engineer making coffee? (or whatever ti is). They know you would be competent, reliable, etc. but also that you'll be gone the instant your 6-figure job is back.

Another temp job I was considering when I thought I was going to be unemployed was a Porter at the hospital. Flexible shift work with good pay (considering no experience/education necessary) and a overall pretty decent environment full of women haha.

austic
01-03-2017, 02:58 PM
As has been said dumb down you resume...

ExtraSlow
01-03-2017, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by austic
As has been said dumb down you resume...
What do you even put on a resume like that? Name, email address, and then blank?

Mitsu3000gt
01-03-2017, 03:10 PM

What do you even put on a resume like that? Name, email address, and then blank?

You may not even need one, just go down and talk to them. I've been offered a few positions now just from managers overhearing me helping other people in the store. Maybe they would still want to see a resume, but by that point they are basically convinced and you being a qualified professional in another field isn't likely to work against you.

Kloubek
01-03-2017, 03:29 PM
...but assuming a resume is required, just understate your responsibilities and job titles. No need to like.... just no need to include what you are capable of.

Asian_defender
01-03-2017, 03:39 PM
If you're looking for a really good part time. I drive Calgary Transit part time
If you do min 20 hours/Week you get benefits and a pension. $25/hr

Weekends are mandatory for the first 4/5 years then you can scale it down to a little as 1 day/week

Marsh
01-03-2017, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't be discouraged. As a business owner myself, the biggest issue I have isn't experience or over qualified. It is usually people from an office environment are used to very cushy, relaxed and easy going type of work (that's the stereotype anyways) so coming into a job that's more physical (restaurant,warehouse, etc.) the perception is is that you are going to be going on coffee break every 10 minutes, complaining about needing rest etc.

This is almost always untrue though, but I think the best thing you can do is convince the employer that you are capable of the demands of the job. Talk about your non-office experience, I think that should gain some traction at least.

My 2 cents

Mitsu3000gt
01-03-2017, 04:29 PM
Driving transit actually is a really good idea, as long as you didn't have to drive buses at night. Driving around with a crackhead/drunk/etc. (or group of them) on the bus would freak me right out, or have me so distracted my driving would suffer.

killramos
01-03-2017, 05:18 PM

As shitty as it sounds BP's will hire anyone for bar positions. Tits is *less* relevant if you are behind the counter.

Go get your serving cert and stop in at a couple and tell them which shifts you want.

Apparently BP's is a easy place to get your foot in the door as most real bars want (and can demand these days) serving experience. Lots of turnaround so they are always hiring.

Pour some beers, watch some sports see how it goes.

max_boost
01-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Kevin Spacey fast food American Beauty. :D :thumbsup:

03ozwhip
01-03-2017, 07:29 PM
ExtraSlow, PM'd

AndyL
01-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Uber...

Or deliver some pizza - though around here I've just been told there's a wait list with most stores (wtf!)

cancer man
01-04-2017, 06:12 AM
If you require a work reference let me know. Since the flood of 2013 all records were lost for the last 7 tears of operation.. Pick a position.

botox
01-04-2017, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
Uber...

Or deliver some pizza - though around here I've just been told there's a wait list with most stores (wtf!)

If you like driving and have a reliable and decent on gas beater, go knock on some Chinese restaurant doors and ask them. I was doing this for a while and on average working 2-3 hours per day I was making about $100 and probably used about $10-$15 in gas a night.

Xtrema
01-04-2017, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

You may not even need one, just go down and talk to them. I've been offered a few positions now just from managers overhearing me helping other people in the store. Maybe they would still want to see a resume, but by that point they are basically convinced and you being a qualified professional in another field isn't likely to work against you.

This, buddy did stock boy at Superstore for a bit, just show up and plead your case and be sincere. He still go less than 20hr a week but it's money until he landed somewhere else.

Originally posted by Asian_defender
If you're looking for a really good part time. I drive Calgary Transit part time
If you do min 20 hours/Week you get benefits and a pension. $25/hr

Weekends are mandatory for the first 4/5 years then you can scale it down to a little as 1 day/week

I thought CT part time is hard to get in or get good time slots because unions.

ExtraSlow
01-04-2017, 04:32 PM
It does sound like the CT driver means committing to working both saturday and sunday for quite a while, possibly a year. That is probably no big deal for some people, but with my family situation, it won't work for me.

blindsight
01-04-2017, 06:43 PM

FraserB
01-04-2017, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by blindsight

Those RSP's your dipping into must be great to hold on to such ideals. Waiting with baited breath for your "What's for dinner?" thread where you tell us that lobster is the only protein you can stomach and only high end wine keeps you from getting hangovers.

If you're going to try and troll, at least spell properly and use proper grammar.

blindsight
01-04-2017, 06:47 PM

HiTempguy1
01-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Bated breath, unless you mean he eats worms. In a literal sense in that case, he could indeed be waiting with baited breath :rofl:

I do agree with blindsight's analysis though; digging into retirement savings because you are laid off? I would sell everything and live in a box before doing that. Kids are tough, durable, and they will appreciate the sacrifices you make for them (eventually, even if they don't see it now). If working part-time at CT, sure, you'd be away weekends, but you could still spend time with them on the weekends during the time you aren't working, and you would be available for a lot of the weekdays. Play a little Mr. Mom.

Having said all of that, I understand the desire not to work weekends. I chose my career path specifically because I wanted a 9-5 lifestyle. But again, if I was without work, I'd take anything I could get. $25/h? Hell yea.

03ozwhip
01-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
I do agree with blindsight's analysis though; digging into retirement savings because you are laid off? I would sell everything and live in a box before doing that..

I don't think I've ever dug into you before, but I feel like this is the dumbest thing I've seen you post. there is no way that any person, with an inch of sense in their bodies that would think this way.

if I were in a position that I haven't worked for a long time and it's straining everything in my life, this would be the last thing I would do, but I don't understand your logic at all.

ExtraSlow
01-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

If you're going to try and troll, at least spell properly and use proper grammar. I dunno, I think he did a pretty good job. :thumbsup: Although, I find the more expensive the wine, the worse the hangover. Maybe I should switch to courvoisier?

Also, yes, I'm trying to be home at least one day on the weekend so I can spend some time with my children. Fuck, what a high-and-mighty asshole entitled millennial I must be.
At least I know you guys are reading my posts, I'm really feeling the love. :love: :poosie: :love: :love:

One thing I don't mind is looking foolish, particularly if doing so can be educational to someone else. I'm sure there are others on beyond who are in a similar situation, and they may find some good info in this thread. So keep these excellent ideas coming in!

ExtraSlow
01-04-2017, 07:47 PM
As for the RRSP's, I asked my tax question, and got the answer. The way I see it, they are just another investment, and if you happen to have a year of lower income, you can liquidate a portion of them with minimal tax consequences, so it is no different, and no worse, than selling TFSA, jewelry or your Xbox.

Selling out of my RRSP isn't my first choice, or second, but I do like to know my options.

Rat Fink
01-04-2017, 08:08 PM

killramos
01-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Have you considered going back into the FT job search and shelve / step back from the project for a bit?

Sounds like it isn't cash flowing what you need it to be?

I have heard the job market is picking up quite a lot and I have seen a couple positions you would be qualified for? I got an email from Quaderra this week about an exploit and a production engineer position for 3-8 years experience?

Its a job :dunno:

ExtraSlow
01-04-2017, 08:32 PM
... That's kind of off topic, so I've PM'ed you.

zhao
01-04-2017, 10:58 PM
Here is some tough love that might help:

If you aren't getting interviews, the problem is your resume sucks for what you are applying for. Maybe it is intimidating, or maybe it just plain sucks, or maybe both. Tailor the resume to what they are looking for in an employee without lying and you should get interviews. The entire point of a resume is to get an interview, and nothing more.

If you're getting interviews, the problem isn't what your experience is or what is on your resume; the problem is you, in the interview, you. Your resume got you the interview, and now its up to you to not fuck it up or fuck it up all on your own by how you answer questions, your tone of voice, what you wear, etc. So you are interviewing bad and are doing something that translates into 'don't waste your time hiring this guy'. If it's for an entry level position they are constantly hiring for because the job is a revolving door type of job, you probably are screaming don't hire me at the top of your lungs with whatever you are doing in the interview.

You assuming it is because you're way over qualified as the foremost problem you face tells me it's something else. attitude potentially? unrealistic expectations (what kind of part time entry level job works 3 days a week, evenings, and for shifts that are as long as 12 hours.....), they think you're an asshole/moron/hipster/complainer, entitled (ya you dont want $50 an hour, but do you want $25 an hour for casual part time work that revolves around your schedule? lol gl) or one of a billion other things, but your only problem is figuring what you are doing wrong, and changing it.

I'll tell you this also. the way I look at hiring has everything I ask fall under 4 ultimate questions:
-Are you a good fit for the company?
-Is the company a good fit for you?
-Can you do the job competently (now, or after training)?
-How long do I think you are going to stick around for?

Right now i'm hiring a relatively entry level customer service position, 150 resumes submitted (those who are getting interviewed number in the single digits), and as of today the person I'm leaning strongest towards hiring is a girl who has never worked in my industry before, has a resume that reads 'wtf, why does this girl want this lowly job when she's done jobs that obviously pay more', and was just in school to do something totally unrelated (real estate).

Why I am leaning towards this person when there are people applying that have done the exact same job is because this girl managed to convince me she's looking for a career change that is very customer service focused, understands customer service the way I view it, and is relatively smart (so while she may require some training, shouldn't be hard to train). She also has never worked anywhere less than 2 years on her resume, and has a timeline without any gaps). Upon entering the interview my main goal was figuring out why she wanted this job, and what she really wanted to do with her life. The strength of her interview pulled her from the bottom of the pile of potentials, to the top. It is irrelevant for your situation if I am making the wrong choice going with her; the point is she is basically you on paper from what you described, and baring the last 2 people blowing my mind, I am likely going with her.

Now there are definitely people out there who will write you off completely because you have too much education or experience and they are 'sure' you are going to jump ship as soon as the oil patch fires up, or you finish school, or something better comes around, but those people aren't going to waste time interviewing you if they are already 'sure' about who you are. If you have an interview, they're taking a chance on you and are looking for you to convince them that you will work out or will be worth their while. It's all on you and how you come across.

HiTempguy1
01-04-2017, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

there is no way that any person, with an inch of sense in their bodies that would think this way.

This is one of the dumbest things I've seen posted, so, ya know :dunno:

Withdrawing from retirement savings to cover income shortfalls is like selling at the bottom. Its a last resort/bad idea.

Now of course, what I said is extreme (nobody is going to live in a box, if you took that statement literally, er, I don't even know what to say about that), but retirement savings should be used as a last resort.

My opinion. Most personal finance articles would agree. Extraslow has his reasons for doing what he has done and laid them out. His choice to make. He is on a discussion forum, here we are discussing :thumbsup: I would not remove retirement savings to do what he is doing.

03ozwhip
01-05-2017, 07:25 AM

This is one of the dumbest things I've seen posted, so, ya know :dunno:

Withdrawing from retirement savings to cover income shortfalls is like selling at the bottom. Its a last resort/bad idea.

Now of course, what I said is extreme (nobody is going to live in a box, if you took that statement literally, er, I don't even know what to say about that), but retirement savings should be used as a last resort.

My opinion. Most personal finance articles would agree. Extraslow has his reasons for doing what he has done and laid them out. His choice to make. He is on a discussion forum, here we are discussing :thumbsup: I would not remove retirement savings to do what he is doing.
I know you would never do this, so even suggesting so, doesn't make sense. so, you have no job, can't find work to cover all of your bills and you've cut everything down as much as possible, what are you going to do?

I don't think ExtraSlow is quite at that point, but he's definitely weighing his options at this point and he has a very good option in his RRSP's.

ercchry
01-05-2017, 10:20 AM
He is attempting to build a business... so anything he needs to spend now could be considered an "investment" in said business, the part time job would also be an investment, so he needs to weigh the options vs what the business will require of his time... chances the ROI of his RRSPs isn't nearly as great as their potential return of said business... which has the potential of being his new retirement vehicle... but I mean not everyone has the capability to see that far outside their own box, so carry on forcing your personal beliefs on others. No risk, no reward

Xtrema
01-05-2017, 10:30 AM
Kids are tough, durable, and they will appreciate the sacrifices you make for them (eventually, even if they don't see it now).

Until you have some, you will do anything to make sure they have the best and have as little impact as possible.

If my revenue has ran out, I would dip into TFSA and then RRSP in a heartbeat if I have kids. Don't get me wrong, I would still do a lot of downsizing and cost cutting but I would try to induce least impact on my kids.

Kids are retirement investment too, although I want call them blue chip, more like tech stock. :rofl:

ExtraSlow
01-05-2017, 10:32 AM
I am interested to hear from beyond finance gurus (like HiTempguy1) what order they'd put these options in. THis should probably be it's own thread, but WTF, we're already somewhat sidetracked.

- Selling a reliable vehicle and switching to a beater
- Selling RRSP
- Selling TFSA
- Liquidating RESP
- Selling other investments
- downsizing home.
- Withdrawing from HELOC.

Some of those carry risks and some incur significant costs and some have tax implications. I suspect there are a few ways to skin this cat.

ExtraSlow
01-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by zhao
Here is some tough love that might help... This is good advice, and well presented. Not all of it applies to me, but it's a good guide form anyone in my situation. Thanks.

I thought I would also mention that beyond is an incredible community, and I have had a couple beyonders PM me with some very good suggestions.

Xtrema
01-05-2017, 11:38 AM
I am interested to hear from beyond finance gurus (like HiTempguy1) what order they'd put these options in. THis should probably be it's own thread, but WTF, we're already somewhat sidetracked.

- Selling RRSP
- Selling TFSA
- Liquidating RESP
- downsizing home.

Some of those carry risks and some incur significant costs and some have tax implications. I suspect there are a few ways to skin this cat.

1. Selling other investments - unless these investments are earning you living income, ditch them.

2. Selling TFSA - Least tax implication

3. Selling RRSP - Some tax implication but keep your way of life for a bit longer

4. If 3 is going to prolong, you may want to looking into this. But this is more of a paying $30K in fees (realtor/moving cost) to save $100K+ (which most are loans anyway if you have a mortgage). And if you are pulling this move, you are probably going to refinance to give you a lower operating cost. Caveat, see #5

5. HELOC - not a good idea unless you need the HELOC as seed money for the business.

Never - Selling a reliable vehicle and switching to a beater

Unless the beater is a 6-7 year old Civic or something simple to fix, you want a reliable car for the family. Time is money and break down costs time and money = 2x money lost.

Never - RESP, obvious tax implication as well and at the way education cost is escalating not bad to have this for your kids. We can always fall back on CPP/OAS/GIS, but having that shit load of student loan graduating isn't ideal.

realazy
01-05-2017, 12:32 PM
I would consider the options in this order:

1. Selling TFSA
There are no tax implications, and you can contribute back whatever you take out later on. The TFSA was pretty much designed specifically for this type of scenario.

2.Selling other investments
Depending on liquidity of assets and position (capital gain or loss). Do you have capital losses to offset capital gains? Either way, it's still a solid choice.

3. Selling a reliable vehicle and switching to a beater
Depending if it has equity and if the payments are high. If there are low to no payments and it's a reliable economy car like a Honda Fit, I wouldn't sell it. If it were say a 2 year old BMW, I would down grade. If you are in negative equity, that's a tougher choice, can you even afford to pay off the difference on the loan?

4. Withdrawing from HELOC
Depends on how much HE there is and interest rate. Also if you're struggling now, can you afford the extra interest payments.

5. Selling RRSP
Contribution room is gone after you withdraw, but it depends how close you are to retirement and how much is in there vs, how much you want to take out. I would consider this as a viable option after exhausting 1-4.

6. downsizing home
Depends how much you're downsizing and how much equity is in the home. It's a pain in the ass to buy and sell and also costly. Unless you're way over leveraged and making crazy payments, there's no justification to sell as you have to live somewhere whether you rent or own and it isn't free.

7. Liquidating RESP
I haven't looked into this and I don't know the rules.

Jlude
01-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Haven't read any replies, but my first thought would be to lie on your resume, and remove some of your experience and education? Why not?

blindsight
01-05-2017, 04:57 PM

TYMSMNY
01-05-2017, 05:11 PM
- Selling TFSA
- Withdrawing from HELOC. (if HELOC significant amount, then sell)
- Selling RRSP
- downsizing home.
- Liquidating RESP

downsizing a home IMO is last step. incur fees and you don't save that much unless you're over extended to begin with. If you HELOC, it might be enough to get you through the tough times.

blownz
01-05-2017, 05:19 PM

- Selling RRSP
- Selling TFSA
- Liquidating RESP
- downsizing home.

I would never touch the RRSP as if you actually have to declare bankruptcy one day you get to keep that money. Don't ruin your future.

I would do everything possible to lower monthly expenses first, then selling items you don't need and downgrading things like vehicles/homes next. Part time job maybe? I know someone that recently had to start a part time job to keep making payments on his Benz...

kaput
01-05-2017, 06:22 PM

blindsight
01-05-2017, 06:31 PM

revelations
01-05-2017, 07:14 PM
(wrong thread)

phreezee
01-05-2017, 08:21 PM
RRSP until it's zero. It's a scam that is sold as tax deferral that ends up denying you social benefits until it's depleted. Keep your retirement money non-registered and suck on the public teat while keeping your nest egg. You paid into the system, might as well collect the benefits on day 1 of retirement.

redblack
01-05-2017, 08:55 PM
Sell that recession fighter, you can't build a business rolling around in a Honda Fit.

blindsight
01-05-2017, 10:46 PM

max_boost
01-06-2017, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by phreezee
RRSP until it's zero. It's a scam that is sold as tax deferral that ends up denying you social benefits until it's depleted. Keep your retirement money non-registered and suck on the public teat while keeping your nest egg. You paid into the system, might as well collect the benefits on day 1 of retirement. I agree with this

Jonel
01-06-2017, 01:48 AM
+1 on reworking your resume. Was a piping designer for a big EPCM company and was laid off mid-october last year. Ended up working for a warehouse on the graveyard shift in case something becomes available in my field again.

I already knew I wanted to do manual labor as I prefer to be on the move all the time as opposed to just standing around as a cashier or doing customer service (I find time passes by a lot quicker that way). So I took all the technical items (software I used, projects I worked on) off my resume and highlighted my work ethic and attitude as the main selling point.

Basically went in and looked around the store until I figured out who the manager was, went up to him when he was not busy and asked him if they were currently hiring. He asked for my resume and gave me an on the spot interview. He asked me why I chose to work for them and told him honestly that with the current economy, I needed something to help pay the bills. Ended up starting work a few days after. Got quite a bit of OT too from the start but that's probably because of the holiday rush.

All in all not a bad gig. Drive to work from home only takes 8minutes as opposed to 40minutes and I lost quite a bit weight as a bonus. The employee discount and knowing when the sale for particular items start was also nice during the holiday season :P

Best of luck to you man

A790
01-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Have you considered marketing yourself on freelancer sites like Upwork?

ExtraSlow
01-06-2017, 10:28 AM
The responses to this thread are both fascinating and helpful. As well, I have received several really helpful PM's, and I'm thankful for all of the advice and tips.:love: :love: :love: :love:

Really interesting that there is no consensus on the investments liquidation options. I am actually pretty surprised at that.
- Sell house first vs. Sell house Last
- Sell RRSP first vs. Never sell RRSP until bankruptcy

etc. Very interesting.

I should also be clear, I'm not as hard up as some of you are assuming. I have a pretty frugal lifestyle. I'm mostly discussing that stuff to help others who are too shy.

DTTB_36
01-06-2017, 11:49 AM
The problem with selling the house is you could end up taking a big hit as if you are forced to sell, it will almost certainly be in a bad market. Potentially people may be underwater if they put 5% or less on it. It could still be better to sell, it just may not always be the best decision.

On the other hand, if you put more than 20% down in Alberta, and the house market crashes like the USA, you can just walk away from the house. Might kill your credit but meh.

I do agree though, cash flow is king when you have nothing/very little coming in.

flipstah
01-06-2017, 01:49 PM

- Selling RRSP
- Selling TFSA
- Liquidating RESP
- downsizing home.

- I'd sell TFSA first
- If no loan, I would not sell the car. If loan, then yes
- Sell other investments
- Then start taking hits because now it's getting tougher so... RRSP
- RESP
- Downsizing home would be last because depending on the size, it would be hard to balance moving costs/take penalties/legal fees. Moving takes time, which is a cost as well.

I took paths of least penalties first, because once you declare bankruptcy it's a wash. Prolong the pain if you can.

ercchry
01-06-2017, 01:58 PM
If the path ends in bankruptcy.... then leverage the shit out of your life first so it's worth while, why would you declare bankruptcy with no debt and equity in your home?!

When you have nothing to lose it's time to YOLO your life... take on all the debt you can, open margin account and go for it! :rofl:

If it's all ending the same way anyways might as well attempt the impossible

phreezee
01-06-2017, 04:14 PM

Is this true? I assume you mean paying taxes means you have income, which would prevent certain social benefits.

It is exactly like having to use all your vacation payout and severance after you are laid off before you get EI payments, Extraslow has already experienced that. Same BS, they know about that money and hold out on benefits until it's gone.

With the way the country is going, tax deferral will be moot with the increases in taxation and inflation unless you live the life of a hermit in retirement.

blindsight
01-06-2017, 06:21 PM

Xtrema
01-06-2017, 08:06 PM

Time is not a cost. Time is money, only if it would be time spent otherwise making money.

I don't know if you meant it that way or not, but any time some person says "time is money" on something personal, to justify a decision that actually isn't costing them anything but time itself, they are kidding themselves.

Selling a house = realtor and lawyer fees

Moving = Moving fees, at minimum a truck and/or gas/mileage of multiple trips.

If you are moving from a $600K home to a $400K home, you are only unlocking around $170K and probably mostly just on size of mortgage and reducing payment and doesn't turn into cash on hand.

A lot of other factors like kid's access to school etc has to be considered as well. It's also a major psychological change. While investments are just a number. House tends to have more emotional attachments.

Also, given in this depressed market, it's even worse to downgrade because when the market does come back, it'll cost more to upgrade.

I would burn all my RRSP/TSFA/Investments before I move. But I will do that if it comes to that. Unless you lived in $1M+ home, then you should have moved 2 years ago.

Is this true? I assume you mean paying taxes means you have income, which would prevent certain social benefits.

Correct. Current rule, you will lose out on GIS if you have sizable income from RRSP/RRIF.

If you have a $1M RRIF at 71, you are pretty much forced to draw $40K/year. Combined with CPP and OAS ($1600), you are pretty much guaranteed to have $0 OAS and some income may even be taxed in higher bracket.

That said, given Liberal just estimated that we are in deep debt by 2050, and with more work forces replaced by AI that doesn't pay into CPP, I don't know how any of these programs can be maintained in the future.

zhao
01-08-2017, 01:20 PM

- Selling RRSP
- Selling TFSA
- Liquidating RESP
- downsizing home.

Its completely case by case for everything there. Take the car for example (we can all relate to that):

IMO it'd be retarded to sell a car you spent 60g on that you still owe 40g on that you can only sell for 30g realistically and maybe 25g to a dealership, and then be faced with buying some new economy car which will come out to 25g after tax anyway (because the 12g model you did your calculations on how smart this decision was is a base with no ac and a manual, and you need a few options so you need to go up two trim packages in price, plus tax and pdi and freight and oh you might as well get 3m and some other dipshit thing) and be worth 15g when you drive it off the lot.

PLenty of morons do that exact thing all the time, and as the saying goes, two 'completely retarded head up your ass when it comes to finances and simple math' wrongs don't make a right. Probably better to keep paying the 1200 a month or whatever at what should have been a lower rate than what you can get for even a mortgage let alone a personal loan.

It'd also be retarded to hang onto some older baller money pit, like a 8 year old rangerover sport. If I had one of those I'd be turfing that before it's next major service, or as everyone else calls it, tuesday.

Either way logically it'd be smartest not to buy a big expensive new car if there is any chance you are going to have financial issues in the future. Logically it'd be financially smartest to buy a $500 sunfire, and patch it with parts from pickandpull for minor stuff, or sell it for $150-200 scrap value if it blows up hard and buy another one for $500. But no one wants to do that..... because they 'need' a new car for 'reliability'... even though having that reliability costs them 50% of the value in the first 3 years which far far far exceeds whatever they would of spent on repairs or replacing for a beater.

cancer man
01-09-2017, 09:22 AM
2 rib racks 42 dollars.
I think I'll buy a pig and start a back yard butchery business.

ExtraSlow
01-09-2017, 11:02 AM
I'm extremely grateful for all the advice and well-wishes in this thread and in my PM mailbox. Actually had one generous beyonder offer me a position, which I was unable to accept. Have had two others give me excellent suggestions, which I've already started following up on.

Also, I know it's inevitable that some members will stay fixated on the financial advice, but for myself, I have already made the assessments suggested, and I've taken all the posts into account. I'm no longer actively requesting further advice on that topic.

I'm having a great monday so far, I hope everyone else is too. :goflames:

lasimmon
01-10-2017, 06:32 PM
Might not be the right thread... But I thought I would ask anyway.

If you were applying to a job on a website that said "Send Resumes to XXX email" would you include of cover letter or not?

killramos
01-10-2017, 06:45 PM
I'm extremely grateful for all the advice and well-wishes in this thread and in my PM mailbox. Actually had one generous beyonder offer me a position, which I was unable to accept. Have had two others give me excellent suggestions, which I've already started following up on.

Also, I know it's inevitable that some members will stay fixated on the financial advice, but for myself, I have already made the assessments suggested, and I've taken all the posts into account. I'm no longer actively requesting further advice on that topic.

I'm having a great monday so far, I hope everyone else is too. :goflames:

Oh I am going to keep giving you advice whether you like it or not

ercchry
01-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Might not be the right thread... But I thought I would ask anyway.

If you were applying to a job on a website that said "Send Resumes to XXX email" would you include of cover letter or not?

Of course you'd include a cover letter... the whole thing will be printed off and put in a stack to probably be looked over by a few people... in the email just write a quick "please see attached cover letter and resume" or something to that effect

HiTempguy1
01-10-2017, 09:18 PM

Oh I am going to keep giving you advice whether you like it or not

What does he think this is, ask.com?

You get what you get on Beyond! :rofl:

I love Zhao's idea of doubling down on a bad idea though, it needs to be a different thread to discuss that shit-show of awful. :P

schurchill39
01-10-2017, 10:07 PM
I went out in the spring and got a part time job working at the distillery in Turner Valley. When I got called in for an interview they had my resume out and asked what I could possibly want from a job there seeing as I was grossly over qualified. I told them I just had a genuine interest in making liquor and what they do so I was willing to do what ever it took to be a part of that; from running their lab, to driving a delivery truck, to cleaning the fermentation vessels, or sweeping the floor. In response to pay all I said was that I wanted to be paid accordingly for what ever position was available and I didn't have any dreams of having it substitute my career's income.

If you can get your foot in the door it might be worth while coming up with some boxed answers to interview questions to help ease their minds when they see your qualifications and job history.

max_boost
01-10-2017, 10:36 PM
^^^ props

:thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
01-13-2017, 12:04 AM

ExtraSlow
08-10-2017, 10:52 AM
Little update to this. Did some work earlier in the summer through my business and the dollars per hour are bloody fantastic. Still haven't figured out how to turn that into an ongoing thing however, which is really frustrating. If I could get even halfway busy with this, I'd never have a real job again. Really enjoy it too.

To fill up the bank account a bit, decided I needed some "actual" work too. I recently started a 90-day temporary position as a shop supervisor at one of the large rental car companies where I have a family member working. It's a weird gig, basically hanging around during the evening shift encouraging guys to be efficient while they clean cars, and cleaning a few myself when things are busy. Plus helping the big boss out with some paperwork and organizing. It's not fun, but it's something new, it utilizes some of my skills, and it pays much better than minimum wage. yay.

sexualbanana
08-10-2017, 02:08 PM
:werd:

Know a few people that picked up second jobs in retail for the discounts on the things they like to buy anyways... saving money on things you're going to buy anyways is just as good as making money

Ron Artest did it in his rookie year. Well, more like he applied and listed the Bulls president as his reference. lol

msommers
08-14-2017, 02:33 AM
With that in mind, we should start a thread on employee discounts :thumbsup:

Buster
08-14-2017, 03:00 AM
Fire me a PM. It sounds like you are a bright guy, and I've been thinking about hiring another research analyst to do some of the (I'll be frank) grunt work. Wouldn't be full time, more "project based" (read inconsistent), but would probably be interesting to do if it's up your alley.

ExtraSlow
08-14-2017, 11:52 AM
With that in mind, we should start a thread on employee discounts :thumbsup:

This job doesn't qualify me for a discount, so it sure won't get you one bro...

- - - Updated - - -

PM coming.