PDA

View Full Version : How does Sears keep holding on?

Pages : [1] 2

speedog
01-05-2017, 08:28 AM
So how does Sears keep holding on? In the news - five straight quarters of losses, looks like their Craftsman brand/line will be sold to Stanley/Black and Decker, etc, etc, etc..

Who actually shops there any more - I popped into the Marlborough location before Christmas and I have to say I've seen more lively funeral homes, the place was absolutely dead in what should be their busiest time of the season. Craftsman - are their products even relevant any more? Sure, in the 80's and before that they were the go to brand for most people but now I really have to wonder about that. When I popped in a Christmas, it was for the off chance that they might have something I was having so difficulty locating in the city and if anything, their selection was laughable plus nary a sales person around or one that was even remotely interested in helping me.

I think they're dead, just don't know how they've held on so long.

R154
01-05-2017, 08:46 AM
Once in a blue moon I'll pop into sears. But everytime I do, I buy a tool or some kitchen gadget. Only time I go is when I have to go to north hill. Other then that, I pay sears no mind. I used to go to sears with my dad when I was young to look at things. But they seemed to be a way better store when I was young.

I believe thier catalogue business is still somewhat popular. With that said, much like all large department stores, the internet is killing them for convenience.

Most things I buy are 1 day or 2 day delivery. Many of my friends are in the same boat. We don't have to go touch things in a store to buy them anymore.

Other than food, I rarely go to malls or stores with the intention of buying anything. Amazon is way faster and usually the most cost effective. Same thing with clothes. If they don't fit I just ship it back. But I've had good luck recently.

infected
01-05-2017, 08:48 AM
Old people

NoPulp
01-05-2017, 09:00 AM
Old people.

I get the odd thing there, but not much. The sears in lethbridge barely has any tools at all. They use to be really good tools, I inherited a ton from grandpa who was a retired mechanic. I haven't heard anyone buy any in the last decade though.

I've been wondering for years how sears stays open. Same with some the Hudson Bay stores and even some walmarts are extremely dead.

HiTempguy1
01-05-2017, 09:01 AM
Sears became massively wealthy as they outright bought a large amount of their prime location retail space decades ago. Thats the only thing thats kept them in business.

J-hop
01-05-2017, 09:01 AM
I ask this same question all the time. I used to work at north hill about 8 years ago. Since I left that location has not changed at all and according to my parents that store hasn't changed much since as far back as they can remember.

Going into their stores I feel like they have no direction for their product lineup, they can't seem to decide who exactly they're catering to.

I remember we lost our discount on electronics about a year after I started. I asked the electronics manager why and he said it was because their markup was something moronic like 2%.

It's such a failing business model I think they'll be under in the next 10 years.

If I remember correctly they don't even own the north hill building anymore which I thought was the only reason that location was able to operate.

lilmira
01-05-2017, 09:03 AM
Sears is just sad. I popped into to the Northhill store a few times in the last few months wanting to give them money. A lot of empty shelves, the vibe is just bad, funeral home is the best description. It's like no one cares, there is no management at all. I don't buy a lot of stuff in store from Bay neither, at least I don't have to check my pulse when I walk into Bay.

HiTempguy1
01-05-2017, 09:06 AM
How fitting, just found this while doing my morning news read:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-05/stanley-to-buy-craftsman-brand-from-sears-for-about-900-million

JRSC00LUDE
01-05-2017, 09:15 AM
Maybe they're owned by Wilson Phillips.

dj_rice
01-05-2017, 09:16 AM
I've never visited the physical location stores except to return items but they're online website, I've scored some killer cheap deals.

AlpineTek Parka Jacket $99 shipped(Canada Goose knock off)
T-Fal Ceramic Control Frying Pans $7-9 each shipped

J-hop
01-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
Sears is just sad. I popped into to the Northhill store a few times in the last few months wanting to give them money. A lot of empty shelves, the vibe is just bad, funeral home is the best description. It's like no one cares, there is no management at all. I don't buy a lot of stuff in store from Bay neither, at least I don't have to check my pulse when I walk into Bay.

Yea the way they treated their staff was horrible when I was at north hill. They work them like dogs, and only gave negative feedback to people. They pay them shit and on top of that restrict their hours. All the department managers were burnt out.

They would also refuse to pay for equipment repairs so working on the dock we often only had 2 good pallet jacks

timdog
01-05-2017, 09:27 AM
I used to always think of The Bay and Sears and similar stores, carrying similar products and offering similar prices, etc. that was like 15 years ago. I recently went into a Sears for the first time in a long time thinking this was still the case and was very disappointed. Sears sucks, and The Bay is still pretty good, if not better than it used to be.

ianmcc
01-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Hard to watch.
I worked for Sears for over 10 years and saw things spiral downwards from the inside.
Took my shares and cashed them out as soon as possible, and pulled both of my DB and DC pensions out shortly after I left.
I really think the Craftsman name is all they have left aside from the Kenmore name and any remaining property they still own.
Now I see they are looking at entering the food business to help drive traffic into their stores.
http://retailanalysis.igd.com/Hub.aspx?id=23&tid=3&nid=16074
Sad really to see two major retailers decline like this-Eatons first now Sears.
Sears bought Eatons strictly for the catalogue business now they screwed that up by outsourcing the cataloge call center to the Philippines.

JohnnyHockey
01-05-2017, 09:30 AM
What a coincidence, I was killing time at North hill mall yesterday and walked into Sears and wondered the same thing...

The first floor was clothes straight out of the 90s... And the second floor was home stuff that I can get anywhere else...I noticed the parts desk though and thought the parts store in the NE was the greatest thing ever, but I tink that one is gone now too?! Last time I needed a fridge part I ended up at the trail appliances parts store...

Mitsu3000gt
01-05-2017, 09:53 AM
It's amazing what stores will hold on with zero customers - just look at everything in the Eau Claire mall.

Sears is equally terrible aside from tools & appliances, which I suspect is about all they have left.

I feel like the only place they could succeed is a small town where there is nowhere else to go.

msommers
01-05-2017, 10:03 AM
I can only remember going to Sears as a kid and even back then it was never busy.

The Bay is never that busy seeming either.

The whole online purchasing taking over was actually a discussion that came up at Christmas dinner. I think there will always be stores where people need to feel and check things out in person - clothing and shoes being a big one. Moreover, those specialty soap/bath stores will still do well as people what to know what they actually smell like.

civic_stylez
01-05-2017, 10:05 AM
I have been wondering the same. When they were preparing to close a bunch of stores in the US i decided to short their stock but it never really dipped as much as I had hoped. I always find it sad to see the big stores die off. I remember when Eatons closed and just watching the once proud company liquidate everything. The Bay is the only one in Canada that seems to have realized that people dont shop out of catalogs anymore... theyve been pumping billions into their stores.

Swank
01-05-2017, 10:16 AM
I still remember when they were called Simpsons-Sears, barely. Online shopping keeps increasing in popularity, the main reason I started moving to online shopping was I was so tired of department stores being so packed full of shoppers, that's not much of an issue anymore. I ended up in a Walmart last week and forgot how dangerous it can be to my wallet. I walked by 2 things I didn't really need, but they were great prices so I picked them up :D

Hallowed_point
01-05-2017, 10:19 AM
I wondered the same thing about the Sears Northhill location when I first moved to Calgary 10+ years ago. It seemed stuck in the 1980's back then. Those old lino floors, tinny music, absent staff, and poorly stocked shelves certainly didn't add to the experience. Old people must sustain them. Lot's of mall walkers at that location at least.

I don't agree with comparing The Bay to Sears. The Bay is one of my go to's for sure. They seem to keep their store in good order and well stocked. Gotta love bay days too

soloracer
01-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Yet Twitter and Uber lose Billions and they remain industry darlings.

JfuckinC
01-05-2017, 11:16 AM
Bay at sunridge is always busy, i walk through to get my haircut. Immigrants love the bay lol. But hoenstly they have normal clothes so i don't see why people wouldn't shop there :dunno:

03ozwhip
01-05-2017, 11:25 AM
Sears has always been pricier for everything and their clothes are for old people. the only way they're going to ever bounce back is to look at the rest of the market and adapt.

on the other hand, why would a good name brand want to sell their stuff through a dying business. I always shop at the Bay, it's good for everything.

HiTempguy1
01-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
It's amazing what stores will hold on with zero customers - just look at everything in the Eau Claire mall.

Beautiful thing about a corporation; as long as you can convince someone to give the company money, you still get your paycheque.

At some point, a business may be doomed to fail, but if you have no better options, might as well ride it into the ground.

Edit-

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
and their clothes are for old people

So you mean they are poised for a comeback?? ;)

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/150929/cg150929b003-eng.png

spikerS
01-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Sears is still around because of their catalog and remote communities in places north of Edmonton, or anywhere along that latitude and north where there isn't many opportunities for people to go to a mall like chinook, or crossiron.

People in these remote locations can order shit from the catalog and have it delivered pretty quickly to a depot that is local to them for free, or a minimal fee. I thought it was over too, but then, when Baygirl was back in Newfoundland, their community was somewhat remote, and everyone there ordered from Sears and then picked it up at the gas station / mini market place.

Xtrema
01-05-2017, 12:35 PM
I drop in once a while because I can always score cheap Polo and stuff there. But 1/2 the floor space is definitely dedicated to seniors.

I think Sears buyers is having problem with keep the store with younger stuff and brands. Something The Bay is way better at. At the time when department stores are going the way of dinos, it's a losing battle.

Mixalot27
01-05-2017, 12:45 PM
I used to order quite a bit online from Sears and pick my items up at the store for no cost. Then they imposed some $3.50 handling fee for all orders, even those you pick-up yourself, at the same time when most companies were switching to offering free shipping. I also received numerous unwanted telemarketing calls for additional warranties, furnace and duct cleaning. I had to call them numerous times to get the calls to stop. After that i never shopped with them again. They have so many stupid polices that it seems as if they are trying to fail. A few of Sear's great recent policies:

You can no longer use a Sears gift card to make purchases online. Previous to this you could use a Sears gift card but you would still have to provide a credit card. They would charge your credit card initially for the purchase and then you would have to wait weeks for them to transfer the purchase to your gift card and credit the charges back to your credit card.

They imposed a $1.50 customer assistance fee for the privilege of placing an order over the phone through their catalog department.

If you return an item you purchased online to a Sears store, you have to wait up to several weeks when the item makes it back to the Sears warehouse before you receive your refund.

Introduced a new website and ordering system immediately prior the busy Christmas season without adequate testing. This caused them to sell items they didn't have (back-ordered) to thousands of customers. Sears didn't even notify these customers that their items were back-ordered and they would not be receiving them (or at least not in a reasonable time-frame). Customers had to follow up themselves as to where their items are or if they are getting them at all. Customers who cancel their orders have to wait weeks for a refund and in many cases fight to obtain a refund for items they never received.

blownz
01-05-2017, 01:50 PM
A few people mentioned Eaton's, but who still remembers Woodwards? $1.49 days? Back in the day it was the best of the big department stores IMO. But then slowly imploded. I remember lots of time spent at the Chinook Center Woodwards years ago.

carson blocks
01-05-2017, 01:57 PM
The pre-Amazon generation seemed to love Sears, but that's a declining market. When I worked up north the guys loved Sears as you could order big stuff like furniture and get them sent to the local store for pick-up. Other than those groups, I don't know anyone who uses Sears. I used to watch their clearance store online for deals, and picked up my mower and weedeater for a hell of a deal about 5 years ago. My last order from them was a couch of such subpar quality, it wasn't worth the $700 I paid, nevermind the $3300 they apparently reduced it from. I haven't ordered from them since.

NoPulp
01-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I don't agree with comparing The Bay to Sears. The Bay is one of my go to's for sure. They seem to keep their store in good order and well stocked. Gotta love bay days too

I know some Bay stores do very well, but visit some of the other locations like Lethbridge, it's almost as depressing as sears. It's a ghost town, but doesn't seem like a funeral home because of better lighting. I do think that locations does especially poorly because the mall failed and has been converted to offices.

civic_stylez
01-05-2017, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by blownz
A few people mentioned Eaton's, but who still remembers Woodwards? $1.49 days? Back in the day it was the best of the big department stores IMO. But then slowly imploded. I remember lots of time spent at the Chinook Center Woodwards years ago.

There was also a Woolco on Mcleod trail which is now WalMart. I remember going there as a kid. I guess Zellers falls in the nostalgia category now too... crazy how fast things change.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ei2Ik5quiI0/Sm9e8FeUPHI/AAAAAAAADBM/nsm_TEjVV-4/s1600/woolco%2B1974%2Bnight%2Bext%2Bpleasantfamilyshopping.jpg

Masked Bandit
01-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Our family doesn't specifically search out Sears but over there years we've bought A LOT of the kids clothes there. A bit nicer than Wal-Mart and if you wait for a sale it can be dirt cheap. I would say we probably spend $500 - $1000 a year in the SouthCentre Sears.

D'z Nutz
01-05-2017, 02:35 PM
It pains me to know that my future children will never get to experience to joy of spending hours flipping through latest season's Consumers Distributing catalogue and daydreaming about all the toys they wish they could have.

Swank
01-05-2017, 02:37 PM
I'll see your Woolco and raise you a Kmart, I spent half my tweens in the one in Brentwood.

http://hatchspot.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/Screenshot-2014-09-23-11.10.17.png

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
It pains me to know that my future children will never get to experience to joy of spending hours flipping through latest season's Consumers Distributing catalogue and daydreaming about all the toys they wish they could have. Yes, THIS :clap: then going to the store to find out they are sold out, everything new sold out in a day it seemed.

http://www.retrontario.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/201288-consumers.jpg

max_boost
01-05-2017, 02:46 PM
It pains me to know that my future children will never get to experience to joy of spending hours flipping through latest season's Consumers Distributing catalogue and daydreaming about all the toys they wish they could have. I guess that's the cool thing of being born early 80s, you get the past old school stuff but yet enjoy all the current tech.

03ozwhip
01-05-2017, 02:56 PM
I miss woolco and consumers days. on second thought, Sears is catering to us old bastards lol

civic_stylez
01-05-2017, 03:04 PM
It pains me to know that my future children will never get to experience to joy of spending hours flipping through latest season's Consumers Distributing catalogue and daydreaming about all the toys they wish they could have.

So true!!

I can still remember as a kid when the big catalogs would show up in the mail. Id go apeshit over them. I can still smell the ink off those glossy pages. Circling stuff to leave "hints" for my parents lol. Man, that was awesome.

holden
01-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Swank

Yes, THIS :clap: then going to the store to find out they are sold out, everything new sold out in a day it seemed.

Your parents actually let you buy the stuff, lol. My Christmas present WAS the catalog.

As for The Bay, I felt it was going downhill in the 2000's like all the other department stores and then they turned it around. They had a good idea partnering with other stores like TOPSHOP. I wonder if they will open up SAKS boutiques now that they own them.

The_Penguin
01-05-2017, 03:32 PM

Holy shit, Consumers Distributing! Forgot all about them. That was a cool place.

Manhattan
01-05-2017, 04:03 PM
They're still kicking because they're being bankrolled by their CEO/hedge fund manager. Nearly impossible to turn that ship around IMO. The Sears brand has virtually zero value at this point. They spun off a bunch of their real estate into a REIT in 2015 to stay afloat. If they shut everything down today and sold off the remaining real estate they'd actually be worth a lot more. There's actually some respected fund managers who are invested in them as a salvage operation. The individual pieces including real estate and brand names Kenmore, Craftsman and Diehard still have significant value.

blownz
01-05-2017, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Our family doesn't specifically search out Sears but over there years we've bought A LOT of the kids clothes there. A bit nicer than Wal-Mart and if you wait for a sale it can be dirt cheap. I would say we probably spend $500 - $1000 a year in the SouthCentre Sears.

I totally agree with this. We have purchased a lot of kids clothes there over the years.

And I forgot about Consumers Distributing too! I used to love looking through those catalogs. My kids only have the toys r us and best buy flyers to look forward to. :(

suntan
01-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Indigo, Mastermind Toys, American Girl, Maplelea Girls and Canadian Tire all had catalogs this year. Kids loved looking through them.

Xtrema
01-05-2017, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

Holy shit, Consumers Distributing! Forgot all about them. That was a cool place.

member?

http://www.cdarchive.ca/Consumers-1996-Annual-Preview.pdf

Strider
01-05-2017, 05:59 PM
I totally agree with this. We have purchased a lot of kids clothes there over the years.

Haven't bought any kids clothes, but scored some great deals on 2 car seats and a stroller. All purchased online for in-store pickup ... even that process feels archaic.

rage2
01-05-2017, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
The prices of technology is pretty hilarious. Let's take a look at inflation adjusted prices of some of these things:

$850 - Camcorder
$310 - VCR
$110 - Sony Walkman w/Radio
$70 - Camera
$330 - Pager

That's $1700 right there. Makes the most expensive iPhone which does all that crap at $1300 look cheap. :rofl:

speedog
01-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
I miss woolco and consumers days. on second thought, Sears is catering to us old bastards lol

Exactly how old are you old bastards?

bleu
01-05-2017, 07:22 PM

Agreed. One of the best things was getting the Christmas Wish Book and folding the tops of the pages of toys you wanted. :(

carson blocks
01-05-2017, 07:41 PM
That Consumers Distributing catalog is some nostalgia!

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--cJq1pb1m--/t_Preview/b_rgb:191919,c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1474073671/production/designs/685741_1.jpg

Maxt
01-05-2017, 09:19 PM
The North Hill location was once their best producing store in the chain...
When I worked at North Hill in the early 90's, I remember at Christmas time, the Sears was jam packed, it was pretty much near impossible to walk through that store from about Dec 1st-Dec 24th. The customer service stations would be backed up with people waiting to pay. That whole mall was completely nutso for most of December, people would park on the grass boulevard on 14thave or just leave their car in the fire lanes with hazards on and go shopping...

I went there in I think 2010, to buy my Wife's xmas present, and parked in the first stall outside the south doors on Dec 24th and you could have shot a cannon through the place without hitting anyone, so its been really dead there for awhile.

rage2
01-06-2017, 10:07 AM
Found this article last night.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-stores-are-in-decline-2016-12

Pics of a Sears store, pretty much what everyone is reporting here. :rofl:

AndyL
01-06-2017, 11:08 AM
How does it hang on?

We (beyond) isn't it's demographic. Of course we don't understand. They're after boomers. That is Sears demographic.

They're after older styles - why would they bring in new when they sell the 20yr old stuff more? Sears CC was my mom and aunts/uncles goto. Need appliance or biggish purchase - grab Sears card look in the catalog, make a phone call - setup delivery and throw it on the card. Card never seems to expire, flexible repayment I'd assume.

The traffic at the rural outlets is incredible. They've been doing it this way for 30-40yrs, they're not about to change.

Not happy with craftsman being outsourced, it's hard enough to get ratchet rebuild kits now - bet that's not going to improve.

J-hop
01-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
The North Hill location was once their best producing store in the chain...
When I worked at North Hill in the early 90's, I remember at Christmas time, the Sears was jam packed, it was pretty much near impossible to walk through that store from about Dec 1st-Dec 24th. The customer service stations would be backed up with people waiting to pay. That whole mall was completely nutso for most of December, people would park on the grass boulevard on 14thave or just leave their car in the fire lanes with hazards on and go shopping...

I went there in I think 2010, to buy my Wife's xmas present, and parked in the first stall outside the south doors on Dec 24th and you could have shot a cannon through the place without hitting anyone, so its been really dead there for awhile.

Yea when I first started there in 06 it had declined pretty bad. There were still remenants of the good old days though. There was a large hole in the wall between the dock area and the conveyer belt from the second floor, I asked about it and apparently there was at one time another conveyer belt that went out to the dock and the guys unloading the truck would fire the boxes down the belt and a whole team would be organizing the boxes by department on pallets.

When I worked there we did all of that right on the dock as well as helped merchandise the floor.

When I first started I think we had 2 and sometimes 3 people on the morning shift working the 2nd floor stock room. Eventually that dropped to 1 and then 0 which was horrible for the dock workers as the freight elevator took about a year to go between levels and only held 6 pallets or so.

speedog
01-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
How does it hang on?

We (beyond) isn't it's demographic. Of course we don't understand. They're after boomers. That is Sears demographic.

They're after older styles - why would they bring in new when they sell the 20yr old stuff more? Sears CC was my mom and aunts/uncles goto. Need appliance or biggish purchase - grab Sears card look in the catalog, make a phone call - setup delivery and throw it on the card. Card never seems to expire, flexible repayment I'd assume.

The traffic at the rural outlets is incredible. They've been doing it this way for 30-40yrs, they're not about to change.

Not happy with craftsman being outsourced, it's hard enough to get ratchet rebuild kits now - bet that's not going to improve.

I'm a boomer and I don't shop there, maybe older boomers are more of the target. No one I know that's on the young edge of the boomer generation shops at Sears.

R154
01-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Exactly how old are you old bastards?

It's pretty clear that you endlessly wrestle with your age and how you are perceived on beyond, as a result. Maybe that's a typical conversation irl, with you. Who knows.

Calm down.

You don't have to panic and feel marginalized everytime you are confronted with your relative age.

When people make comments about age, you don't have to offer stories or sentiments that may or may not allude to how you're actually (or wishfully) sort of youthful. Accept who you are.

Median age on beyond is no longer 19. Closer to 30 something. It has never been late 60's early 70's.

No one cares that you are a rounding error away from a century.

Yes you are old. Deal with it.

sputnik
01-06-2017, 02:21 PM
And I forgot about Consumers Distributing too!

I call it "Analog Amazon".

adamc
01-06-2017, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I can only remember going to Sears as a kid and even back then it was never busy.

The Bay is never that busy seeming either.

The whole online purchasing taking over was actually a discussion that came up at Christmas dinner. I think there will always be stores where people need to feel and check things out in person - clothing and shoes being a big one. Moreover, those specialty soap/bath stores will still do well as people what to know what they actually smell like.

The Bay here in Toronto is a flagship of amazing retail, I buy 90% of my clothing there. Tons of top name brands under one roof and super frequent sales, I'm in there a few times a month. They recently added Sak's 5th Ave. as well as a Pusateri's market (very high end food). It's a beautiful place to shop.

Come to think of it, it's probably the last retailer that I actually spend money at regularly. The rest is amazon/ebay/etc.

adamc
01-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Found this article last night.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-stores-are-in-decline-2016-12

Pics of a Sears store, pretty much what everyone is reporting here. :rofl:

That made me really sad for some reason.

The_Penguin
01-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

member?

1996??? I was thinking back in 1974. Thought they were gone before 96.

jacky4566
01-06-2017, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

I call it "Analog Amazon".

Which is sad because Sears had the infrastructure to become Amazon all they had to do was convert the magazine to a website. Now they missed the boat and pay for it dearly.

speedog
01-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by R154

It's pretty clear that you endlessly wrestle with your age and how you are perceived on beyond, as a result. Maybe that's a typical conversation irl, with you. Who knows.

Calm down.

You don't have to panic and feel marginalized everytime you are confronted with your relative age.

When people make comments about age, you don't have to offer stories or sentiments that may or may not allude to how you're actually (or wishfully) sort of youthful. Accept who you are.

Median age on beyond is no longer 19. Closer to 30 something. It has never been late 60's early 70's.

No one cares that you are a rounding error away from a century.

Yes you are old. Deal with it.

Crap, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers so much. It was meant jokingly as I never considered myself old in my 30's or even now. Relax.

R154
01-06-2017, 04:34 PM
I don't sound calm to you?

Just an observation. Not a jab. An honest observation of your posting tendencies.

I'm concerned that you don't appear to know what aggravation or an aggressive writing tone, looks like.

Must be the deerfoot delicacies. <--- That's a proper joke about your roadside fishing adventures, captain.

Good day.

speedog
01-06-2017, 06:48 PM
Good one.

Maxt
01-06-2017, 07:27 PM
The sears generation was really the generation before the boomers or the oldest of the boomers.
I had a couple of friends in high school(88), who's parents were older, had kids late. They bought absolutely everything at Sears. We went back to school clothes shopping one time, I spent the money my mom gave me at Boodlum, the attic, and crown surplus. My two friends were mortified, they were only allowed to buy neon t-shirts and jeans from Sears. Their houses were sears/kenmore show rooms.

zhao
01-08-2017, 01:05 PM
The Bay stores are kinda hit or miss (i think that's the point, they cater to what kind of people are in the area), but in Edmonton the southgate location is the best one in the city (you think it would be west edmonton mall, but it's most definitely not). IMO the southgate location is like a step down from nordstrom (you can drop thousands on a fur coat if you want, or find good selection of half decent brands) for their high end stuff, but they still carry cheap stuff as well, and has very good selection for everything; I especially like their housewares section there.

Their sales aren't bad either. I bought my wife a cashmere sweater for $60. I bought a 26cm cast iron frying pan for $15ish there that retailed for 100+. My wife buys makeup there because of their sales.

Now sears, in the same mall, is shit. Their housewares section looks abandoned, has no selection, and they dont have anything I want in that entire store. Someone said they carry old people clothes, and I'd agree. I have a feeling all their stores carry the same shit too and aren't tailored to the customers in the area at all. I can't remember the last time we bought anything from them.

mork
01-08-2017, 04:13 PM
I met my wife there in the mid nineties, a manager job at SEARS was all I could score out of University. It was in bad shape back then, but a new CEO (Paul Walters) came in and turned the company around. By the time I left it was in really good shape - then they bought Eaton and screwed everything up again.

Two years ago we bough a new house and I got a couple of Kenmore appliances there out of nostalgia. Both have already died and been replaced. They did nothing for me service wise. The old customer service SEARS was famous for is dead.

They really offer nothing. I walked through the West Ed store recently to use the escalator and the place was empty, shelves were lightly stocked and 50% off signs were everywhere.

So yeah, I agree they are on death watch. More job losses for low skilled workers, that's going to hit some people hard.

btimbit
01-08-2017, 06:55 PM
Went to The Bay today and was actually pleasantly surprised. Probably hadn't set foot in one of their stores for 10 years. Had some pretty good sales, got some new bed sheets and other bedding. Spent the same amount of money as I would have in Wal-Mart but everything I got was about 3x the quality. Plus now that Petro Points doesn't let you redeem for Best Buy gift cards, The Bay gift cards is the best Petro Points deal.

Walked through Sears too.... Wow. Hadn't been in there for a long time either and it looked like shit

Gestalt
01-08-2017, 07:04 PM
Most traditional retailers are graveyard city. Only things busy lately seem to be Costco and Walmart

rage2
01-08-2017, 11:41 PM
Here's a very good read on what's happening at Sears.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-failing-stores-closing-edward-lampert-bankruptcy-chances-2017-1

toastgremlin
01-08-2017, 11:50 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-failing-stores-closing-edward-lampert-bankruptcy-chances-2017-1 That REIT must be a smoking investment, assuming that they can actually convert "dead mall space that smells vaguely like the corpse of a Sears" into "someone will give us huge rents for this."

btimbit
01-08-2017, 11:56 PM
That was a good read, thanks for sharing.

zhao
01-09-2017, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Gestalt
Most traditional retailers are graveyard city. Only things busy lately seem to be Costco and Walmart

I have no idea why people say this.

Have you ever gone into a lego store? that place is full. And that is one retailer that there is literally no need for a brick and mortar shop.

Have you ever walked past a apple store. what in the holy fuck is going on there? It's literally jam packed full, and they only sell 6 things.

Have you ever gone into a grocery store? I prefer to select my produce, bakery items, deli items, and meat. I go into safeway more than any other store because their cooked food is cheaper than you can make it yourself for. There is no chance you are buying and cooking a chicken for $9, or their ham, or whatever else they sell.

I'm sure buying clothes and shoes is fine online if you like stuff to not fit, hurt to walk in, and look like ass. Shoes even from one brand fit dont all fit the same, so i'll try shoes on before buying. The only way I'd consider buying pants and decent shirts online is if I already have that exact brand and make of shirt/pants.

Furniture. What kind of sadist buys a couch online? I find 99% of those things are uncomfortable as hell so unless it is just for show, it'll be a cold day in hell before I blindly buy one of those things online.

How often do you think, hmm, I'd really like to buy a 50g car, but i'd like to not be able to test it out or view it in any way other then from doctored pictures online prior to purchasing.

I guarantee I was buying electronics online before 99.999% of the world was, and you know why I dont anymore? Because when I want something, I usually want it now, in 30 minutes or less. I couldn't give two shits about saving $5 on a motherboard because i'm not 14 anymore where $5 is actually worth something. When my monitor blows up or my computer fries something, i'm driving to memory express to get what I need today, not firing up a website on my phone and spending 30 minutes navigating a bullshit website to get it tomorrow or the day after.

The only stuff I buy online are some car parts, games, jewelry (and the only reason I did that is because I researched diamonds for 6 months prior so I knew exactly what I was looking for down to every single dimension on it, otherwise i'd want to see it in person), airplane tickets/hotels/car rental reservations in other cities.

We're a long way away from buying everythign online and traditional retailers closing up shop

RickDaTuner
01-09-2017, 02:05 AM
Looking back at my nieces, and sisters shopping preferences when it comes to clothes; they engage in about 60-75% online shopping, even more so once they know their sizes they go ham...
you wont find them in local store because places like sears, and the bay carry brands that to them are considered generic, and limited to fashion they are interested in.

Take Aritizia for example, they get random merch once or twice a week, and when they sell out, that's it, you'll have to wait for next weeks shipment to find something you like.
They would also rather buy online, then a physical store, because the online store will have their sizes in stock, have a greater selection, and faster availability on newly launched lines.
Most brand name stores here in Calgary carry a limited selection of merch, I've noticed that with guys stuff too, I tried buy a pair of men Uggz boots after seeing them online, and only one Browns store in all of Calgary had them in stock, I just started calling them one by one after going to two malls, and not finding them.
Couple that with free shipping and returns, and the desire to head to the mall, while braving the cold/heat, fight traffic, just to be disappointed with what you are after isn't in stock or available; it becomes a no brainier to just shop from home.

The only thing missing is door to door starbucks...

flipstah
01-09-2017, 06:17 AM
Soon.

https://news.starbucks.com/news/starbucks-green-apron-delivery-empire-state-building

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/sears-failing-stores-closing-edward-lampert-bankruptcy-chances-2017-1?client=safari

adamc
01-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
I tried buy a pair of men Uggz boots after seeing them online, and only one Browns store in all of Calgary had them in stock, I just started calling them one by one after going to two malls, and not finding them.

please tell me they were those puffy things the girls wear?

carson blocks
01-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
men Uggz boots

Error. Does not compute.

RickDaTuner
01-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Haha you guys should browse the Ugg website, they offer some decent boots for men that look nothing like the classic ones women go gaga for, like the now discontinued "Rockville II"
They are also thee most comfortable and warm winter boot I have ever owned. Well worth the price tag, and yes I wear them with socks... lol

msommers
01-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Man I want some Ugg slippers SO BAD...but $200 for slippers is "fuck you" money

timdog
01-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

dude seriously. what is with Eau Claire? That mall is always dead, the shopping sucks and all the stores are totally random. How does it hang on?

rx7_turbo2
01-09-2017, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by timdog
dude seriously. what is with Eau Claire? That mall is always dead, the shopping sucks and all the stores are totally random. How does it hang on?
Eau Claire is my go to movie theatre. I find out what's in the old IMAX theatre, it's not busy, comfy seats, great sound. I'm always shocked with the state of the rest of that mall though.

suntan
01-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Unbeknownst to most people, many Sears locations have a hidden sex cauldron.

RickDaTuner
01-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Unbeknownst to most people, many Sears locations have a hidden sex cauldron.

Go on...

BokCh0y
01-09-2017, 08:33 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-failing-stores-closing-edward-lampert-bankruptcy-chances-2017-1

Thanks for this, it was a real good read. Afterwards it made me wanna punch someone in the face.

Maxt
01-09-2017, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by timdog

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Eau Claire is my go to movie theatre. I find out what's in the old IMAX theatre, it's not busy, comfy seats, great sound. I'm always shocked with the state of the rest of that mall though.

The original hype of Eau Claire back in the day had the big malls worried. They poached top people, had some higher end trendy stores , restaurants, and it all went south rather quickly. Not sure what it was, could have been the shitty parking situation, stores not having broad appeal, or Eau Claire being the hooker stroll after dark, I dunno.
The last time I was there, it reminded me of the old crossroads flea market.

nismodrifter
01-09-2017, 08:36 PM
That link rage posted totally sums up my thoughts on Sears. Couldn't be more accurate.

TomcoPDR
01-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

Thanks for this, it was a real good read. Afterwards it made me wanna punch someone in the face.

The buddy needs a visit from "The Accountant"

RickDaTuner
01-09-2017, 08:46 PM

adamc
01-09-2017, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Man I want some Ugg slippers SO BAD...but $200 for slippers is &quot;fuck you&quot; money

http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/details/men-s-classic-felt-mill-scuff-slippers/_/R-PM5500

http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/details/men-s-lewisburg-moccasin-slippers/_/R-PM1183

I'm thinking about ordering a set of classic felt mill style, I hear they're great.

colinderksen
01-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

There was also a Woolco on Mcleod trail which is now WalMart. I remember going there as a kid. I guess Zellers falls in the nostalgia category now too... crazy how fast things change.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ei2Ik5quiI0/Sm9e8FeUPHI/AAAAAAAADBM/nsm_TEjVV-4/s1600/woolco%2B1974%2Bnight%2Bext%2Bpleasantfamilyshopping.jpg
Wasn't there a mall there too? I remember a blanket/flag shop that sold records and junk. Ha

nismodrifter
01-09-2017, 11:20 PM
Mall was attached to the woolco, where Rona is now.

Seth1968
01-09-2017, 11:41 PM
The only relevant time I spent in Sears or maybe the Bay, was back in around the early 80's at my local mall.

I wrote some basic code to emit a dreadful sound when one of the Commodore 64's key was touched. I cranked the volume, and left the screen with something like, "Press any key for a demonstration".

Hilarity ensued.

soloracer
01-10-2017, 12:46 PM
The sears generation was really the generation before the boomers or the oldest of the boomers.
I had a couple of friends in high school(88), who's parents were older, had kids late. They bought absolutely everything at Sears. We went back to school clothes shopping one time, I spent the money my mom gave me at Boodlum, the attic, and crown surplus. My two friends were mortified, they were only allowed to buy neon t-shirts and jeans from Sears. Their houses were sears/kenmore show rooms.

Different story when you come from a small northern town. You couldn't wait for the Sears catalogue to come out as it had a much bigger selection than SAANS or the local retailers. A really big day was when the Christmas catalogue came out. As a child it was fun scanning the pages with all the cool toys and electronics.

BokCh0y
01-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by soloracer

Different story when you come from a small northern town. You couldn't wait for the Sears catalogue to come out as it had a much bigger selection than SAANS or the local retailers. A really big day was when the Christmas catalogue came out. As a child it was fun scanning the pages with all the cool toys and electronics.

For me, it was the consumers distributing catalog that was pure gold. Transformers, GIJoe, and Lego.:drool:

Maxt
01-10-2017, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by soloracer

Being a rural small town kid myself , Radio Shack>Sears...

01RedDX
01-10-2017, 05:49 PM

Hallowed_point
01-11-2017, 09:38 AM
Being a rural small town kid myself , Radio Shack&gt;Sears... :werd: Radio Shack was our Best Buy/Future Shop. I swear the owner held onto his 80's walkie talkies/RC cars for 20+ years. Same old stock when you'd stop by the shop. Radio Shack was a cool place, albeit overpriced.

MalibuStacy
01-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Cause you were only looking at the toy section...

speedog
01-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Don't the kids just flip through Web sites now on their iPad or better yet, use Alexa.

MalibuStacy
01-11-2017, 11:02 AM
Don't the kids just flip through Web sites now on their iPad or better yet, use Alexa.
huh?

rage2
01-11-2017, 11:03 AM
It's all YouTube these days.

ExtraSlow
01-11-2017, 03:13 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder381/10388381.jpg

lilmira
06-22-2017, 07:12 AM
Bye bye sears