PDA

View Full Version : AI replaces administrative insurance personnel

R154
01-06-2017, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by BBC World News Asia

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-38521403

For 34 staff at a Japanese insurance firm, that vision just became a reality.

Fukoku Mutual Life Insurance is laying off the employees and replacing them with an artificial intelligence (AI) system that can calculate insurance payouts.

The firm believes it will increase productivity by 30%.
It expects to save around 140m yen (£979,500 / $1.2m) a year in salaries after the 200m yen AI system is installed later this month.

Maintenance of the set-up is expected to cost about 15m yen annually.

Japan's Mainichi reports that the system is based on IBM Japan Ltd's Watson, which IBM calls a "cognitive technology that can think like a human".

IBM says it can "analyze and interpret all of your data, including unstructured text, images, audio and video".

Fukoku Mutual will use the AI to gather the information needed for policyholders' payouts - by reading medical certificates, and data on surgeries or hospital stays.

According to The Mainichi, three other Japanese insurance companies are considering adopting AI systems for work like finding the optimal cover plan for customers.

A study by the World Economic Forum predicted last year that the rise of robots and AI will result in a net loss of 5.1 million jobs over the next five years in 15 leading countries.

The 15 economies covered by the survey account for approximately 65% of the world's total workforce.

Well, we had a good run. Zenops is really making more sense everyday.

I would like to see the raw data performance between a human and this system performing the job duty. That would be pretty fascinating. To see progression as the system "learns" and becomes more efficient.

Thoughts?

M.alex
01-06-2017, 11:17 AM
f*k that, I'm still going to dial '0' immediately to speak to somebody .... god damn AI or voice-activated software that never works right.

Xtrema
01-06-2017, 11:22 AM
resistance is futile

suntan
01-06-2017, 11:25 AM
This will be gamed in 3 months.

Masked Bandit
01-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
f*k that, I'm still going to dial '0' immediately to speak to somebody .... god damn AI or voice-activated software that never works right.

If the A.I. is good enough, will you even know you're talking to a person versus computer???

:eek:

R154
01-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Bill, are you AI?!

:dunno: :thumbsup:

mork
01-08-2017, 04:20 PM
GM OnStar is adopting IBM Watson in some capacity.

Easy to see how this will eventually replace their OnStar operator workforce.

I'm old enough that I will be mostly (hopefully) retired by the time AI really start to kill jobs in 10 years or so.

Masked Bandit
01-08-2017, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by R154
Bill, are you AI?!

:dunno: :thumbsup:

Lots of A, not much I unfortunately.

max_boost
01-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by mork
GM OnStar is adopting IBM Watson in some capacity.

Easy to see how this will eventually replace their OnStar operator workforce.

I'm old enough that I will be mostly (hopefully) retired by the time AI really start to kill jobs in 10 years or so. lol that's what I kinda figure too. Make enough money, hang on long enough and just watch things change while pretending to feel bad for the next gen.

ZenOps
01-10-2017, 10:21 AM
AI is the easiest to game when using false applications, false misleading information to start with.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/03/24/microsofts-teen-girl-ai-turns-into-a-hitler-loving-sex-robot-wit/

Used to do it all the time for a different reason with employment applications, use the name "Max Power" JK maybe more like "Herbert Smith" and "Mohammed Khumar" with pretty much the exact same qualifications. It was pretty much purely to determine level of racism that would be encountered and whether or not I should send in a real application. A little bit like screening phonecalls, it gives you the ability to quickly determine responses and whether or not you will get preferential treatment or not.

I would try it again, but I get the feeling that nowadays "Mohammed" from india and now "Jose" would be offered half of what "Herbert" would, just like pretty much every woman in Alberta. Depressing really that it has probably become a wider gap since I was a kid.