PDA

View Full Version : Greek Yogurt vs... regular yogurt

HiTempguy1
01-09-2017, 05:31 PM
Had an american friend up here recently. She ordered a yogurt parfait thing from a breakfast joint we were at, and dived right in. Comical facial expressions occurred due to her disgust at "greek yogurt".

Says it tastes sour/spoiled, which I thought an interesting description of the taste. So, thoughts?

Do you like "normal" yogurt (whatever that is, seems like yogurt is different all over the world), greek yogurt, or just say no to yogurt?

Kloubek
01-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Greek all the way. So much richer and fulfilling. Since I discovered it, I'm not sure I've purchased traditional yogurt since.

dj_rice
01-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Greek all the way. So much richer and fulfilling. Since I discovered it, I'm not sure I've purchased traditional yogurt since.

Same here.

Love me some Libertie Lemon or any flavor they carry is actually good

msommers
01-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Skyr is the best!!

Strider
01-09-2017, 05:49 PM
Plain Greek yogurt is quite sour and actually pretty hard to eat by itself. But once it's loaded up with fruit/sweeteners :thumbsup:

Skyr (Icelandic yogurt) is the best of both worlds, has the thick richness of Greek yogurt without the sourness.

A790
01-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Greek yogurt for sure. Moar protein.

ExtraSlow
01-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Greek with fruit = win. Load it with pumpkin seeds, slivered almonds and steel cut oats for a pretty healthy breakfast.

lasimmon
01-09-2017, 10:31 PM
I like both and switch it up. Voted normal as I have it in my fridge currently.

riander5
01-09-2017, 10:41 PM
Skyr for the win - Greek is garbage compared to it

nismodrifter
01-09-2017, 10:51 PM
Home made EI yogurt.

Nothing better.

speedog
01-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Olympia Krema 9% fat - get all the flavor, none of that 2.9 or 0% shit.

firebane
01-09-2017, 11:29 PM
Yogurt is vile :barf:

Seth1968
01-10-2017, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by firebane

FFS.

I was going to post the same, but digressed as I'm already full of controversy. Your post gave me a nudge.

Marketing scumbags convince people that rotting bovine mammary gland secretions is healthy to consume.

theken
01-10-2017, 04:33 AM
Plain Greek with granola

cancer man
01-10-2017, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968

FFS.

I was going to post the same, but digressed as I'm already full of controversy. Your post gave me a nudge.

Marketing scumbags convince people that rotting bovine mammary gland secretions is healthy to consume.

When you go down on your squaw with a yeast infection you might find yogurt pretty good to balance the intestinal bacteria. I would not know but buddy from cardston.. a good mormon said it's the best medicine.

jwslam
01-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Same here.

Love me some Libertie Lemon or any flavor they carry is actually good
I like Liberte too but I don't think it's full on "Greek Yogurt" like Ooikos :dunno:
It seems so much smoother...

edit:
This is the stuff I like. I guess it's not sold as "Greek" anyways.
http://images.realfoodtoronto.com/P/RealFoodToronto-Liberte-Mediterranee-500g-Blackberry.jpg

killramos
01-10-2017, 08:31 AM
Used to hate yogurt ( standard kind, high in fat ). Never saw the appeal, not healthy enough to be put up with.

Though the latest trend of low fat greek style Yogurt in a parfait with some fruit and granola is a pretty awesome breakfast, good for your gut too.

Gotto mix it up from breakfast sandwiches and bagels every once in a while.

Hallowed_point
01-10-2017, 09:23 AM
I can honestly say that I've bought regular yogurt maybe 1-2 times since discovering greek yogurt. The consistency and protein content win me over.

bulaian
01-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Skyr is the best!!

Originally posted by Strider
Plain Greek yogurt is quite sour and actually pretty hard to eat by itself. But once it's loaded up with fruit/sweeteners :thumbsup:

Skyr (Icelandic yogurt) is the best of both worlds, has the thick richness of Greek yogurt without the sourness.

Originally posted by riander5
Skyr for the win - Greek is garbage compared to it

Skyr is awesome!
~150 calories in 3/4 of a cup, 18g of protein

:thumbsup:

EK 2.0
01-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Home made EI yogurt.

Nothing better.

CHAK DE FATEH!!!

civic_stylez
01-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Regular yogurt for granola.

Greek yogurt for eating straight.

Both awesome!!!

sputnik
01-10-2017, 01:01 PM
11% MF!

This stuff is incredible. Even plain it tastes like a cross between cream cheese and sour cream.

http://i.imgur.com/ZO06W3Y.png

roopi
01-10-2017, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Originally posted by Seth1968

FFS.

:werd:

speedog
01-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
11% MF!

This stuff is incredible. Even plain it tastes like a cross between cream cheese and sour cream.

Agreed, blows away Leberté.

Kloubek
01-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Well I gotta try that then. 11% fat. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

schocker
01-10-2017, 04:06 PM
http://www.greekgodsyogurt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/honey1.png + http://ca-en.naturespath.com/sites/default/files/styles/product_list/public/product/gra-po-lc-choco-cd-front_0.png :drool:

Disoblige
01-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Activia (regular, not lactose free) is where it's at.

Greek tastes so tart and sour. Gross.

schurchill39
01-10-2017, 05:33 PM
The wife loves greek yogurt but I can't do it. It tastes like really shitty sour cream to me.

Kjonus
01-10-2017, 08:52 PM
Astro Original Balkan yogurt any flavor for this guy

msommers
01-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Anyone who says they enjoy plain Greek yogurt is lying to themselves

Darkane
01-10-2017, 09:37 PM

You know it's just yogurt for us Greeks right? lol

And yes I enjoy plain. But flavoured full fat is insanely good.

sputnik
01-11-2017, 08:48 AM

Tell that to my kids. They would eat a big bowl every night before bed if they could.

My daughter eats it plain and my son with a few dates chopped up into it.

Strider
01-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
11% MF!

I buy this for my 1 year old who eats it with blueberries. I used to think Liberte was good, but Olympic Krema is so much better.

I don't enjoy it plain though :barf:

A790
01-11-2017, 09:31 AM

I buy this for my 1 year old who eats it with blueberries. I used to think Liberte was good, but Olympic Krema is so much better.

I don't enjoy it plain though :barf:
What are the macros on it?

riander5
01-11-2017, 09:35 AM
How do all your protein and macro buffs not know about skyr at superstore?

Better macros than greek, and so smooth that greek literally tastes cheesey compared to it

Get a clue beyond!

holden
01-11-2017, 10:33 AM

Better macros than greek, and so smooth that greek literally tastes cheesey compared to it

Get a clue beyond!

Thanks for the tip. I eat greek for the high protein content, primarily in my shakes.

riander5
01-11-2017, 10:50 AM
^ It's a game changer. I used to cycle between greek and cottage cheese as id get sick of one and go to the other.

I now just go straight skyr all the time, a few frozen blueberries on top :drool:

Despair*
01-11-2017, 11:05 AM

Get a clue beyond!

I'll definitely give it a try the next time I go to superstore. Sounds good. How's the pricing on skyr?

A790
01-11-2017, 11:07 AM

Get a clue beyond!
So... what are the macros?

Can't say I'm on the up and up in yogurt trends ;)

mazdavirgin
01-11-2017, 11:18 AM
:dunno: Macro wise yogurt usually isn't that good because it's got a ton of sugar both added sugar in the case of flavored yogurt and natural sugars in the case of naturally occuring sugars in milk. Hence why it tastes good, it's like eating pseudo healthy tubs of candy/ice cream.

A790
01-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
:dunno: Macro wise yogurt usually isn't that good because it's got a ton of sugar both added sugar in the case of flavored yogurt and natural sugars in the case of naturally occuring sugars in milk. Hence why it tastes good, it's like eating pseudo healthy tubs of candy/ice cream.
LOL.

You should check out the macros on greek yogurt. Usually it's 10:1 cal:protein, which is pretty good.

mazdavirgin
01-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by A790

LOL.

You should check out the macros on greek yogurt. Usually it's 10:1 cal:protein, which is pretty good.

http://www.liberte.ca/en/products/black-cherry

230 Cal : 5g protein
46 Cal : 1g protein

Straight up vanilla ice cream comes in at:

60 Cal : 1g protein...

holden
01-11-2017, 11:39 AM

http://www.liberte.ca/en/products/black-cherry

230 Cal : 5g protein
46 Cal : 1g protein

Straight up vanilla ice cream comes in at:

60 Cal : 1g protein...

Why are you eating the high-fat sweetened one with fruit?

http://www.liberte.ca/en/products/grek-plain-0-percent

100 Cal: 17g proten

mazdavirgin
01-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by holden

Why are you eating the high-fat sweetened one with fruit?

http://www.liberte.ca/en/products/grek-plain-0-percent

100 Cal: 17g proten

Not eating either kinds of yogurt frankly. Too much additional sugar if diet wise if you're trying to not consume too much sugar on a day to day basis. Just pointing out that macro wise it's frankly not that good especially the stuff people are linking here which is one step short of ice cream. Yeah tastes good but there's a reason for that.

So even the plain old 0% percent comes in at 6g of sugar for 175g and you should be keeping overall sugar consumption under ~35 grams. Starts adding up real fast...

Strider
01-11-2017, 11:49 AM
Not eating either kinds of yogurt frankly. Too much additional sugar if diet wise if you're trying to not consume too much sugar on a day to day basis. Just pointing out that macro wise it's frankly not that good especially the stuff people are linking here which is one step short of ice cream. Yeah tastes good but there's a reason for that.

So even the plain old 0% percent comes in at 6g of sugar for 175g and you should be keeping overall sugar consumption under ~35 grams. Starts adding up real fast...

Those who are concerned about macros shouldn't be eating the full fat yogurts being linked... but I don't think anybody linking them suggested that they do so either.

Here's the PC Skyr 0% from Superstore:
110 cal : 21g protein, 2g sugar

For eating plain, this stuff tastes better than Greek yogurt anyways.

A790
01-11-2017, 12:31 PM

Those who are concerned about macros shouldn't be eating the full fat yogurts being linked... but I don't think anybody linking them suggested that they do so either.

Here's the PC Skyr 0% from Superstore:
110 cal : 21g protein, 2g sugar

For eating plain, this stuff tastes better than Greek yogurt anyways.
IIFYM, fam. ;)