PDA

View Full Version : Rent/borrow a thermal imaging tool?

Thaco
01-10-2017, 03:55 PM
My inlaws live in a bungalow (relatively new, like 7 years old) and the master bedroom is above the garage, its cold as shit in there, like 13* when the rest of the house is 24...

I know they can hire someone to do a thermal imaging scan or whatever, but i just wanted to do it myself out of curiosity, anybody know any places that rent them out? likely only need it for a couple hours.

Tik-Tok
01-10-2017, 04:10 PM
You don't need the tool, I can tell you without one that they didn't put proper insulation between the garage ceiling and the bedroom subfloor. Same thing happened to a few people.

HomespunLobster
01-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
You don't need the tool, I can tell you without one that they didn't put proper insulation between the garage ceiling and the bedroom subfloor. Same thing happened to a few people.

Pretty much this. Also, a fully insulated garage helps the room above it as well, doesn't flux with deep freezes as much. Bud had a living room above his garage, always felt cold, added insulation in the garage and a small space heater and the room above the garage now sits at the right temperature.

Thaco
01-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
You don't need the tool, I can tell you without one that they didn't put proper insulation between the garage ceiling and the bedroom subfloor. Same thing happened to a few people. i assumed this as well but they are convinced its the windows, just because they frost up... so i wanted this to show them they're wrong :P

mr2mike
01-10-2017, 05:47 PM
There's a Holmes on Homes episode on this. Forget episode # though. It was the floor.

Pricey to rent but here:
http://www.rogersrentall.ca/equipment.asp?action=category&category=69&key=006-0070

Edit: Also look at the cold air returns. Maybe not hooked up or not enough.

Tik-Tok
01-10-2017, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
i assumed this as well but they are convinced its the windows, just because they frost up... so i wanted this to show them they're wrong :P

Tell them they're frosting up because of the humidity coming from melting snow in the garage.

benyl
01-10-2017, 06:27 PM
Also, make sure they vents are balanced.

That room is likely furthest from the furnace and if the rooms that are closer have the vents open full tilt, you aren't getting enough hot air to that room.

Thaco
01-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Also, make sure they vents are balanced.

That room is likely furthest from the furnace and if the rooms that are closer have the vents open full tilt, you aren't getting enough hot air to that room. yeah i considered that as well, even if we close all the other vents it barely helps in there, its not that far from the furnace, the furnace is basically on the front wall in the basement, pretty much a straight shot up an interior wall to the room, so it should be fine for airflow

i am pretty sure its 90% the floor, just need to prove it :)

v2kai
01-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
yeah i considered that as well, even if we close all the other vents it barely helps in there, its not that far from the furnace, the furnace is basically on the front wall in the basement, pretty much a straight shot up an interior wall to the room, so it should be fine for airflow

i am pretty sure its 90% the floor, just need to prove it :)

I had this problem and after screwing around with vents and really getting nowhere, I ended up just making my own mini climate control loop for the bedroom with an inexpensive electric radiant oil heater and a thermal relay controller (link below) works a treat.

https://www.amazon.ca/Inkbird-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Fahrenheit/dp/B01IBK9I12/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1484104772&sr=8-4&keywords=thermostat+control+relay

also I have a Seek Thermal cam if you still want to measure