PDA

View Full Version : RECOVERED: C63 AMG

skandalouz_08
01-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Posting for a friend:

Car was stolen this morning, January 11th right off his driveway in Sunalta. Mercedes C63 AMG, Dark Blue/Grey with Black rims. License plate is BNJ5803. If you see the car please call 9-1-1. Thanks!

Xtrema
01-11-2017, 10:45 AM
Year? Coupe/Sedan?

revelations
01-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Stolen, as in keys left in running car?

Will keep an eye out today.

Thaco
01-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by revelations

Will keep an eye out today. thats practically the only way... people will never learn

Xtrema
01-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by revelations

Will keep an eye out today.

Or signal repeaters if your car is parked on the street. It's been known to work with MBs if not all models with push button start/stop.

But being it's -25c, I bet it's driving off an idle warming car.

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Is it even possible to steal these without keys or a flatbed?

Xtrema
01-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Is it even possible to steal these without keys or a flatbed?

Yes

http://autoweek.com/article/technology/your-keyless-iginition-might-not-be-theft-proof

skandalouz_08
01-11-2017, 04:09 PM
Thanks all, car was found 1 block away with items inside stolen but appears to be in the same shape.

For the record, keys were not left in the car and the car was not running at the time of the theft. Assuming that's why they only made it a block.

:closed:

gretz
01-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by skandalouz_08

For the record, keys were not left in the car and the car was not running at the time of the theft.

:closed:

Of course they weren't, then the items inside that were stolen wouldn't be insured

;)

mr2mike
01-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Sounds to me like it WAS running and the key fob was NOT in the car. Hence why they only got a block away.

Glad it didn't go far and you got it back.
Word to wise, don't leave anything running.

Thaco
01-11-2017, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Sounds to me like it WAS running and the key fob was NOT in the car. Hence why they only got a block away.

Glad it didn't go far and you got it back.
Word to wise, don't leave anything running.

haha yeah, if the car wasnt running they couldnt have moved it, and nobody drives a car a block away to steal the contents... and no damage?...

lilmira
01-11-2017, 05:04 PM
It probably ran out of gas within a block.

spike98
01-12-2017, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by gretz

Of course they weren't, then the items inside that were stolen wouldn't be insured

;)

Masked Bandit could verify but i dont feel that insurance can/would not cover a claim if the key were in the vehicle.

The security of the items taken are irrelevant to the fact that they were taken without the owners permission.

benyl
01-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
It probably ran out of gas within a block.

Haha, so true.

The car will go where ever you want it without the key. Just don't let the engine die.

BensonTT
01-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Not the same model but still funny :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du003tnXxHI

spikerS
01-12-2017, 11:12 AM

;)

theft is theft. keys in it or not. Its still insured.

MB has already stated this numerous times.

Thaco
01-12-2017, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by spike98

Masked Bandit could verify but i dont feel that insurance can/would not cover a claim if the key were in the vehicle.

The security of the items taken are irrelevant to the fact that they were taken without the owners permission.

found on the co-operators site, may vary based on the policy, but i think this would be the most common

Myth: Auto insurance will not cover a stolen vehicle if a door was left unlocked or the keys left inside.
Reality: The vehicle itself would normally be covered by Comprehensive, All Perils and Specified Perils auto policies; however, items inside the vehicle that go missing would usually be covered by your home insurance policy. If you do not have a home policy, you would not be compensated for the loss of items stolen from the vehicle.

lasimmon
01-12-2017, 11:16 AM

Stealing is ok if the owner is stupid?

D'z Nutz
01-12-2017, 11:18 AM

I believe he actually addressed that once and he said they couldn't/shouldn't deny you a claim. Just cause the key is in your car doesn't mean it's not theft and free for the taking.

Edit: Found it

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/help-stolen-in-applewood-2000-acura-3-2tl-black-znv-320-super-white-hids/showthread.php?threadid=346027&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=2

Originally posted by JustinMCS
:facepalm:

If it was not recovered, insurance wouldn't pay out because it was negligence. Definitely time for a remote car starter.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Incorrect.

If the vehicle is taken without the owner's consent it is still theft. The claim is still valid. There may be a little more investigation to make sure there was no fraud but the overall it will still be covered. OP is fine.

speedog
01-12-2017, 11:21 AM
So I'm still wondering how it got stolen if the keys weren't in it and it wasn't running. Does this thing have push button start where the fob has to be within a certain distance to start the engine?

ganesh
01-12-2017, 11:28 AM

;)
My Car was Stolen from the Garage in March 2014. I left the car running but I had the Key Fob with me.

Called CPS and BMW ended up tracking the car to Cochrane. Case was handed over to RCMP and then eventually the car was left at a Didsbury gas station when they ran out of gas. Without the Key Fob they can't open the gas tank (I was surprised that they didn't pry open it maybe they didn't do it because that may attract public). They ended up taking some items from the car ~ 2K worth.
Allstate paid the towing , storing of vehicle at RCMP facility in Didsbury. Allstate also paid to have the vehicle checked for any damages. BMW found nothing during the inspection.
When it came to the stolen items from the car I was asked to put a claim against my house insurance (As stated by others here).

Thaco
01-12-2017, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon

Stealing is ok if the owner is stupid? thats the whole point of insurance, 90% of the time its insurance for stupidity, i had a friend who was a claims agent, she told me one time she had a guy who was out hunting or whatever, put his shotgun in the cab of his truck and it went off and shredded his transmission, his truck was written off and he was paid out...

flipstah
01-12-2017, 11:51 AM
I thought the key fob detection prevents you from going far.

spike98
01-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
I thought the key fob detection prevents you from going far.

In OEM applications, i haven't seen any yet. I can drive the wifes Q5 for however long the tank will let me.

Thaco
01-12-2017, 12:06 PM

In OEM applications, i haven't seen any yet. I can drive the wifes Q5 for however long the tank will let me. this blows my mind, massive oversight from the manufacturers, or maybe a way to get higher sales due to thefts and insurance claims.

rage2
01-12-2017, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
this blows my mind, massive oversight from the manufacturers, or maybe a way to get higher sales due to thefts and insurance claims.
It lets you drive until you shut off the engine (or run out of gas). It just blasts a warning on the dash saying key not detected. It's a liability issue for car manufacturers to just shut down the car because a key isn't detected. Example if key battery dies on the highway and your car shut down, that'd be kinda dangerous.

ganesh
01-12-2017, 12:17 PM
this blows my mind, massive oversight from the manufacturers, or maybe a way to get higher sales due to thefts and insurance claims.

Not really. They don't want to stall the vehicle in the middle if the road because you don't have a key fob.

Xtrema
01-12-2017, 12:29 PM

Left my fob on a desk while visiting someone, I was surprised I was out on driveway, unlocked door, started the car and ready to put it in reverse until friend ran out with my keys, at the same time my car started complaining fob missing.

I was stunted somehow I was even able to start my car with fob about 50ft and 4 walls away.

ExtremeSi
01-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Can someone break this down for someone like me that has never owned a vehicle with a keyless ignition? Can you start your car on your driveway, lock your doors, bring your fob back inside your house and your car will stay locked? So a thief would have to then break into the car somehow? Can we assume that OP left the doors unlocked in this case?

rage2
01-12-2017, 01:14 PM
It's different for different manufacturers. In the OP's case since I owned 2 C63s, and this applies to all MB's with keyless go, you can only unlock the door keyless with the key within about 2 ft of the door. You can only start the car if the key is inside the car. Doesn't even work if the key is in the trunk. Once the car is started, you CAN'T lock the doors when you leave to warm your vehicle. Anyone can hop in and drive away.

You can lock the door in 2 ways though...

1. Lock from inside, open the window, dukes of hazards out, then close the window through the window.

2. Lock from inside, jump into back seat, manually unlock door, open door, exit, manually lock door, close door.

The flaw with this method is that you can't keyless unlock or button unlock the car when you get back. You have to pull out the mechanical key to unlock the car. Why? No clue, prob something to do with carjacking.

max_boost
01-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi
Can someone break this down for someone like me that has never owned a vehicle with a keyless ignition? Can you start your car on your driveway, lock your doors, bring your fob back inside your house and your car will stay locked? So a thief would have to then break into the car somehow? Can we assume that OP left the doors unlocked in this case?

Exactly as you described for BMW 328X

It doesn't work for my GLK

lilmira
01-12-2017, 01:18 PM
I think you can lock the door by using the physical key. It won't let you lock the door by pushing the button on the remote.

max_boost
01-12-2017, 01:22 PM
I don't know why they don't just let you lock it on the Benz. It is such a handy feature. Doing deliveries, ensures the vehicle is running, warm, etc. while you pop out and drop off an order.
Really gonna miss my 328 for this feature.

speedog
01-12-2017, 01:28 PM
So how was the OP's car stolen? It sounds like the OP isn't telling us everything because OP's story doesn't jive with what you guys are saying.

benyl
01-12-2017, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2

2. Lock from inside, jump into back seat, manually unlock door, open door, exit, manually lock door, close door.

I am not sure why you are jumping into the back seat.

I lock all the doors with the button. Open the driver's door. Exit the car. Close door. Manually lock and walk away.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/bwinkelm/8EF56724-9468-4727-8B00-D8E48EE9272E_zps0tqwxoyr.jpg

Just don't lose the manual key!

The one redeeming feature of Ford's keypad is that you can lock and unlock the vehicle with or without the key. It's super ugly to look at otherwise.

blownz
01-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by benyl
The one redeeming feature of Ford's keypad is that you can lock and unlock the vehicle with or without the key. It's super ugly to look at otherwise.

Although Ford's push button start vehicles can lock and unlock from the handle or keyfob when the vehicle is running and the fob is with you. In fact every vehicle I have owned with a proximity key works like that.

That would drive me nuts if I had a benz. :banghead:

Swank
01-12-2017, 03:59 PM
Example if key battery dies on the highway and your car shut down, that'd be kinda dangerous. Worse yet if you live by train tracks :guns:

shakalaka
01-12-2017, 04:03 PM
My C63AMG didn't let me do it which I thought was fucking stupid. But on the M3, I can start the car, take the key fob out and lock it. That's how I leave it running if it's ever parked outside.

speedog
01-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
My C63AMG didn't let me do it which I thought was fucking stupid. But on the M3, I can start the car, take the key fob out and lock it. That's how I leave it running if it's ever parked outside.

Shit, I can do that on my 99 siera but it's only a feature that's come with time.

Masked Bandit
01-12-2017, 04:21 PM

;)

Originally posted by spikerS

found on the co-operators site, may vary based on the policy, but i think this would be the most common

Myth: Auto insurance will not cover a stolen vehicle if a door was left unlocked or the keys left inside.
Reality: The vehicle itself would normally be covered by Comprehensive, All Perils and Specified Perils auto policies; however, items inside the vehicle that go missing would usually be covered by your home insurance policy. If you do not have a home policy, you would not be compensated for the loss of items stolen from the vehicle.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I believe he actually addressed that once and he said they couldn't/shouldn't deny you a claim. Just cause the key is in your car doesn't mean it's not theft and free for the taking.

Edit: Found it

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/help-stolen-in-applewood-2000-acura-3-2tl-black-znv-320-super-white-hids/showthread.php?threadid=346027&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=2

Just in case there was any doubt...lol

Coverage for the car is still valid even if the vehicle is running with the keys in it, no "dumbass" exclusion exists on this. Contents of the vehicle however are not part of the auto insurance claim anyway.

gretz
01-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

My apologies for not being savvy to the numerous times lol...

I was positive auto insurance wouldn't cover it, I was unaware house insurance would jump in... Thanks for clearing that up for me...

I agree with speedog that it seems "odd"

Thaco
01-12-2017, 05:27 PM

It lets you drive until you shut off the engine (or run out of gas). It just blasts a warning on the dash saying key not detected. It's a liability issue for car manufacturers to just shut down the car because a key isn't detected. Example if key battery dies on the highway and your car shut down, that'd be kinda dangerous.

i figure they could implement something like you said your benz has, you have to be within a couple feet of the button to start it, once its started you can walk away with the key, but then if you hit the brake and it doesn't sense the key within 2 feet, it shuts down. No danger because you cant even move the vehicle.

Or even a second check when you shift or something, there's lots of ways they could do it.

Thaco
01-12-2017, 05:28 PM

My apologies for not being savvy to the numerous times lol...

I was positive auto insurance wouldn't cover it, I was unaware house insurance would jump in... Thanks for clearing that up for me...

I agree with speedog that it seems "odd" lol, feels so dirty to agree with him eh?

Home insurance covers contents, car insurance covers only the actual car

nismodrifter
01-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Just saw this on CBC, posted by CPS

yPMl7i8GxEk

ganesh
01-13-2017, 09:00 AM

i figure they could implement something like you said your benz has, you have to be within a couple feet of the button to start it, once its started you can walk away with the key, but then if you hit the brake and it doesn't sense the key within 2 feet, it shuts down. No danger because you cant even move the vehicle.

Or even a second check when you shift or something, there's lots of ways they could do it.

I am sure all the smart people who work for the car companies thought about all of this. Because of legal reasons they didn't do it. - Think about this some one in the house is in a medical emergency , car owner left the key fob inside the house half way through as you said you hit the brake and then it kills the engine. Just imagine the out cry and the law suit the manufacturer will face?

When I contacted BMW assist when my vehicle was taken they were tracking it and when I told them why can't you just kill the engine the answer I got was that it needs to be coordinated with law enforcement.

Thaco
01-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by ganesh

I am sure all the smart people who work for the car companies thought about all of this. Because of legal reasons they didn't do it. - Think about this some one in the house is in a medical emergency , car owner left the key fob inside the house half way through as you said you hit the brake and then it kills the engine. Just imagine the out cry and the law suit the manufacturer will face?

When I contacted BMW assist when my vehicle was taken they were tracking it and when I told them why can't you just kill the engine the answer I got was that it needs to be coordinated with law enforcement. you have to hit the brake to shift it out of park, or connect it to the e-brake, or shifter or something, hell even the gas pedal, or weight sensor in your drivers seat..... would be no different than leaving the key in the house

also no different than how aftermarket starters work...

killramos
01-13-2017, 11:14 AM
Is my bmw the only one in the world that doesn't let me put the car into gear if i remove the fob from the vehicle?

It literally does this to me all the time and its kindof a pain in the ass ( though good for security reasons ).

For example just last week wife was driving because i was drinking, when we got home I got out of car ( with key in my pocket ) so she could snug the passenger side up to the wall. The car wouldn't let her put the car back in drive to pull into garage until I brought the key back to the car.

Maybe because I have comfort access?

So if car is idling in park i don't know how someone could possible take it (without sophisticated tools )if the car won't go into gear...

:dunno:

ercchry
01-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Would be interesting to try on mine... but gen back and manual... so hard to say

ganesh
01-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by killramos
Is my bmw the only one in the world that doesn't let me put the car into gear if i remove the fob from the vehicle?

It literally does this to me all the time and its kindof a pain in the ass ( though good for security reasons ).

For example just last week wife was driving because i was drinking, when we got home I got out of car ( with key in my pocket ) so she could snug the passenger side up to the wall. The car wouldn't let her put the car back in drive to pull into garage until I brought the key back to the car.

Maybe because I have comfort access?

So if car is idling in park i don't know how someone could possible take it (without sophisticated tools )if the car won't go into gear...

:dunno:

All the BMW's I have owned I can drive away with out the key FOB. As rage2 pointed out it will give you the warning.
Yes all of my BMW's have CA as well. Not sure why yours doing this. May be it is a new feature in the newer line up.

killramos
01-13-2017, 11:31 AM
Yea mine also wont let me put it into gear if the drivers door is open :rolleyes:

I'll give it an experiment this weekend to confirm though because i am very clearly in the minority of this happening.

Just took a gander in the manual and there is nothing about explicitly needing the fob to engage drive but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Masked Bandit
01-13-2017, 12:28 PM
With both the wife's Hyundai and my Challenger, the fob only needs to be present to start the car. Once it's running you can drive away without it.

A2VR6
01-13-2017, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
Would be interesting to try on mine... but gen back and manual... so hard to say

I can confidently say that you can drive away without the key in that car.

beyond_ban
01-13-2017, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Yea mine also wont let me put it into gear if the drivers door is open :rolleyes:

I'll give it an experiment this weekend to confirm though because i am very clearly in the minority of this happening.

Just took a gander in the manual and there is nothing about explicitly needing the fob to engage drive but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Yours an auto or three pedal?

killramos
01-13-2017, 04:48 PM
^auto

AllGoNoShow
01-14-2017, 12:39 AM
Soon everyone will catch up, on my new Ford I have enabled a 'SecureIdle' option that is usually enabled for police ordered trucks. Can start the truck remote or get inside with key fob and traditional push button start, but as soon as the key leaves the door way, the column shift itself will not move until the key fob comes back. Meant for officers leaving the car running but exiting the vehicle.

Sugarphreak
01-14-2017, 01:23 AM