PDA

View Full Version : 2-Way Stop Sign... Need a Reminder

sexualbanana
01-13-2017, 11:53 AM
2 cars heading in the opposite direction are stopped at an intersection with a 2-way stop.

One (Car A) is turning left, the other (Car B) is going straight.

Scenario 1: Car A stops first.

Scenario 2: Car B stops first.

Who has right-of-way in each scenario? I would add a scenario 3, but it seems pretty straightforward that if both cars were there at the same time, the car going straight has ROW as if it were any normal left-turn, straight scenario.

lasimmon
01-13-2017, 11:55 AM
Whoever is there first has ROW IMO. Could be wrong, but makes the most sense to me.

dirtsniffer
01-13-2017, 11:56 AM
whoever stopped first

Swank
01-13-2017, 11:59 AM
^:werd:

sexualbanana
01-13-2017, 12:02 PM
That's what I figure, but I'm surprised at the number of times people who are turning left wait for the driver going straight.

Seth1968
01-13-2017, 12:05 PM
And if you stop at the same time, each car nudges forward until one backs down :)

NoPulp
01-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Curious if anyone can actually find it in writing what the actual law is. When I've been asked in the past, I couldn't. Only 4 way stops are actually defined.
I think it should be whoever stopped first, but it can be very situational and you have to pay attention to what the other drivers are doing.

lilmira
01-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Muscle beats import every time!

JohnnyHockey
01-13-2017, 12:59 PM
In Calgary???... Both drivers wave each other through until one gets frustrated and floors it... It's like chicken but reverse.

jwslam
01-13-2017, 01:03 PM
In the priority of Truck -> Car -> Minivan. Few exceptions.

speedog
01-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Rusty, dirty truck > truck.

nismodrifter
01-13-2017, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
In the priority of Truck -> Car -> Minivan. Few exceptions.

Originally posted by speedog
Rusty, dirty truck > truck.

:rofl:

JfuckinC
01-13-2017, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyHockey
In Calgary???... Both drivers wave each other through until one gets frustrated and floors it... It's like chicken but reverse.

hahahaha so true

Swank
01-13-2017, 02:38 PM
How about this scenario:
Car A is turning left, Car B is turning right, both on to the same one lane street and they don't have stop signs (but the other 2 streets do making it a controlled intersection)?

pheoxs
01-13-2017, 02:54 PM
If I'm turning left I always yield to the person coming straight across towards me, the same as if I'm turning left when there is no stop sign and I yield to oncoming traffic.

GT.....O?
01-13-2017, 03:13 PM
Don't quote me, but i remember being taught that if you arrive roughly at the same time, or within a second or two, the car going straight or right would have the ROW.

However if the car turning left is already stopped and the other car is still moving, the car turning left would have the ROW. Problem is too many people take forever and think the car going straight always has the ROW, I have sat behind people who will let 2-3 people go before they finally take initiative to get moving.

taemo
01-13-2017, 03:37 PM
from what I remember, somehow the vehicle going straight gets priority over opposite vehicle turning left, which never really made sense to me.

but i've always let the first vehicle go first, unless they dont move then i'll go.

pheoxs
01-13-2017, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by taemo
from what I remember, somehow the vehicle going straight gets priority over opposite vehicle turning left, which never really made sense to me.

but i've always let the first vehicle go first, unless they dont move then i'll go.

My reasoning for letting the straight vehicle go is:

Its Calgary, 50/50 chance they ignore rules anyways and rip through. If I'm turning left and I enter the intersection, and then they decide to cross, now I'm stopped in the intersection with cars coming towards me and I have to wait until the other person clears before I can turn left.

Matty_10
01-13-2017, 03:47 PM
I recall that the person turning left has to wait for every single person going straight to go before they can turn, unless I completely brain farted.

taemo
01-13-2017, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

My reasoning for letting the straight vehicle go is:

Its Calgary, 50/50 chance they ignore rules anyways and rip through. If I'm turning left and I enter the intersection, and then they decide to cross, now I'm stopped in the intersection with cars coming towards me and I have to wait until the other person clears before I can turn left.
yeah for safety reason it makes sense as it minimizes the chance for a T bone collision.

for efficiency, maybe too

raceman6135
01-13-2017, 04:16 PM
I believe section Division 9, Section 34(2) would apply:

Right of way at intersections

(2) A person driving a vehicle shall not turn or attempt to turn the
vehicle to the left across the path of an approaching vehicle unless
the turn can be completed in safety.

SOURCE: www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2002_304.pdf

Feruk
01-13-2017, 04:25 PM
I'm always surprised at the number of people who think a 2-way stop works the same as a 4-way stop. The person that gets there first does not have right of way at a 2-way stop. Vehicle turning left must yield.

beyond_ban
01-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
I'm always surprised at the number of people who think a 2-way stop works the same as a 4-way stop. The person that gets there first does not have right of way at a 2-way stop. Vehicle turning left must yield.

If this is true, i must be wrong... although i don't see how it makes sense. Do you have the proooooofs?

EDIT: Now that i think about it... if i am a left turner and i arrive before the other vehicle has come to a complete stop, i proceed if it is clear. If there is traffic coming which prevents immediately proceeding, i would then wait until the other driver has gone straight through before i turned left.

blairtruck
01-13-2017, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
i would agree with you
imo guy turning always waits for thru traffic. one guy turning and 20 going straight then turning waits for 20 cars. not like thats what actually happens.

16hypen3sp
01-14-2017, 03:45 AM
One (Car A) is turning left, the other (Car B) is going straight.

Scenario 1: Car A stops first.

Scenario 2: Car B stops first.

---------------------------------

Senario 1: Car A is stopped. Car B is approaching their stop sign. Car A CAN proceed into their left turn, while Car B stops, and then proceeds when Car A has cleared the intersection.

Scenario 2: Car B is stopped. Car A is approaching. Car B can proceed straight. Car A stops and proceeds when Car B clears the intersection.

Now, Scenario 3: Car A stops. Car B approaches and then stops, so now both are stopped - Car B has ROW. They may proceed straight and Car A can only proceed when Car B is clear.

Of course, applying all this in the real world doesn't always work. I could be driving Car A and turn left while Car B approaches their stop sign but slides thru due to slippery conditions or something.