PDA

View Full Version : Living in a storage locker

ZenOps
01-13-2017, 08:15 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/uhaul-storage-locker-home-1.3934535

BigMass
01-13-2017, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/uhaul-storage-locker-home-1.3934535

Hehe nice. No clue what he does for a living but I would hire this man in an instant. :thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
01-13-2017, 10:21 PM

nismodrifter
01-13-2017, 10:24 PM
Was driving around today doing errands and just couldn't stop about thinking about how stupid property prices are here.

This guy is a genius. Surround sound, in a u-haul storage unit LOL

01RedDX
01-13-2017, 10:25 PM

speedog
01-13-2017, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Interesting idea, but it sure wouldn't be very comfortable

There are a ton of transient motorhomes floating around in Vancouver... they don't pay any rent, just move around as needed to keep bylaw off their backs.

I wouldn't, he would probably try to live at your workplace... not to mention he probably stinks

Why would he stink?

jhmed
01-13-2017, 10:26 PM
A TV, a hotplate, a toaster oven, lights, coffee pot, and probably more... all running from a single extension cord. I'm no electrician but that sounds sketchy as fawk.

speedog
01-13-2017, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by jhmed
A TV, a hotplate, a toaster oven, lights, coffee pot, and probably more... all running from a single extension cord. I'm no electrician but that sounds sketchy as fawk.

Probably not near the 15 ampere breaker that's powers that receptacle and the extension cord is more than.likely capable as well.

Sugarphreak
01-13-2017, 10:51 PM

speedog
01-13-2017, 11:49 PM

Because he doesn't have a washer and dryer so he wears dirty cloths
Because he is living and cooking in a small space without ventilation
Because he has long gross uncut hair
Because he probably doesn't shower very often
Because he is probably too cheap to buy deodorant
Because he probably pisses & shits in his living space as needed
Because he is a fucking dirty minimalism hippy?

I could go on...

Even if you wanted to jump to his defense and be all like "OH but he says that he goes to the gym and showers there!"... does he look like he goes to the gym?

Really just one of the above needs to be true for him to stink. I certainly wouldn't bet against it.

Plenty of assumptions I see.

nismodrifter
01-14-2017, 12:07 AM

I could go on...

Even if you wanted to jump to his defense and be all like "OH but he says that he goes to the gym and showers there!"... does he look like he goes to the gym?

Really just one of the above needs to be true for him to stink. I certainly wouldn't bet against it.

My friend. You would be surprised at how wrong your assumptions are.

Sugarphreak
01-14-2017, 12:16 AM

ExtraSlow
01-14-2017, 08:38 AM
I store my trailer in a storage yard, and there's a dude who has been living there for at least two years, in a motorhome. I assume he has a generator that he runs at night or something, because there are no hook-ups. He definitely works because he's not there weekday daytime, but shows up every evening. He's got a satellite dish and a propane BBQ. He must shower somewhere else.
Honestly looks like a good setup, and I'm happy to have someone there to deter thefts.

legendboy
01-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by jhmed

Same logic when camping on 15a service. Turn the hot plate or coffee pot off when running microwave....etc.

Xtrema
01-14-2017, 12:37 PM

I could go on...

He did an AMA:

This is temporary. He did get an apartment at the end.

Staff knows he's there, which may get them in trouble if HQ knows which facilities it is.

There is customer bathroom on site. He shit and empty his sink there.

He showers at the gym daily.

He goes to laundromat, like everyone else without in suite laundary set.

So you may be right about the cooking and sleeping in the same space but I have nothing on that.

And it still cost him $200/mth for that living condition. And his is running all that stuff on 15A circuit. So he had to be careful on power consumption or he could very easy throw a breaker.

googe
01-14-2017, 04:25 PM

Really, it didn't occur to you that he might be using the gym for access to the shower, and not to work out? I wouldn't hire you if you aren't resourceful enough to identify that as the most obvious solution to not having a shower. ;)

This is actually quite common. There's a pretty decent chance that there are people in your life that have hit a rough patch at some point and were temporarily homeless or didn't have running water, and had to do something like live in a car and shower at the gym.

I would rather judge people on how they deal with adversity, rather than by whether or not they were faced with it.

FWIW, Elon Musk used to be homeless and shower in a gym. Steve Jobs used to not believe in showering, and stink. The people who hired them made a lot of money.

Sugarphreak
01-14-2017, 06:49 PM

sxtasy
01-14-2017, 07:32 PM
I love beyond, arguments about whether this guy stinks or not is very interesting.

JDMMAN
01-14-2017, 07:48 PM
Good for this guy being able to pull this off. Great use of 10x10 space. Reminds me of some apartments in HK, except ceiling height is much lower in the storage unit lol

JRSC00LUDE
01-16-2017, 07:32 AM
To be fair Sugar, West coast pseudo-hippies and a man figuring it out and getting it done so he can to go to work every day are not created equal.

zhao
01-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

He did an AMA:

This is temporary. He did get an apartment at the end.

Staff knows he's there, which may get them in trouble if HQ knows which facilities it is.

There is customer bathroom on site. He shit and empty his sink there.

He showers at the gym daily.

He goes to laundromat, like everyone else without in suite laundary set.

So you may be right about the cooking and sleeping in the same space but I have nothing on that.

And it still cost him $200/mth for that living condition. And his is running all that stuff on 15A circuit. So he had to be careful on power consumption or he could very easy throw a breaker.

I think you'd be surprised how wrong your assumptions are. People lie and exaggerate to make themselves and their things/ideas/whatever look better. I know this because I'm director of the CIA and the fsb.

I recommend you deal with people more, or in this case rent a place out. No pets = ill sneak in a cat and it's small so that doesn't count. Social smoker = smokes. Only smokes outside = smokes inside with the window open a crack. Never parties = parties a lot because partying is only on someone's mind if they do it. Always pay rent on time = sometimes late. Etc etc etc.

I'd bet you 50 dollars this guy doesn't shower every single day. Going to the gym is time consuming and takes effort. I also guarantee he reuses clothes more than wearing them just once a day before washing.

TomcoPDR
01-16-2017, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by zhao

I recommend you deal with people more, or in this case rent a place out. No pets = ill sneak in a cat and it's small so that doesn't count. Social smoker = smokes. Only smokes outside = smokes inside with the window open a crack. Never parties = parties a lot because partying is only on someone's mind if they do it. Always pay rent on time = sometimes late. Etc etc etc.

Yes yes. Can't make this shit up. :clap:

mr2mike
01-16-2017, 12:38 PM
I'll add to the rant.

Environmentally conscious = Leaves all the lights on when not at home.
Clean freak = doesn't own a vaccum or broom.