PDA

View Full Version : Shooting AT BPM IN Playa Del Carmen (2 locations?)

Kobe
01-16-2017, 04:29 AM
http://www.edmsauce.com/2017/01/15/breaking-gunshots-reported-closing-night-bpm-festival/

There is some photos on facebook I'd prefer not 2 post, was there last year while leaving in Playa. Know so many people there right now pretty messed up. Seems like it's gang related since it was at two closing parties (Blue Parrot) and (Jungle)

8 being reported dead right now... really fucked up since you go into BPM and it's just run by the cartels, you can buy cocaine/weed any drug right by the washrooms on any given night at the nightclubs in Playa...

zehnd
01-16-2017, 07:31 AM
Wow, my cousin and his wife are on a plane heading down there right now. They are not going to be happy. They will have to stay on the resort.

ercchry
01-16-2017, 08:00 AM
Brother and gf left for cancun yesterday morning... and they love edm, not sure what their plans were though. But playa isn't exactly far away...

Edit: he wasn't there

Masked Bandit
01-16-2017, 10:03 AM
I'm curious to see how the government / police handle this. Gang violence was pretty hot & heavy on the West coast a few years back and I know some people went elsewhere, either to the East coast (Mayan Riviera) or just other places in the Caribbean. I've always thought that the Mayan side of the country was relatively peaceful with respect to the gangs. If shit like this keeps popping up we won't be back. I would think the government realizes that things like this are very bad for the endless flow of tourist dollars so maybe substantial efforts will be put forward to get rid of the problem. And by get rid of it I mean move it elsewhere so it doesn't mess with the tourism.

killramos
01-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Its kind of funny how you think the government is in any way in control over there.

Never actually been to mexico, this kind of shit reminds me why.

lasimmon
01-16-2017, 10:21 AM
I rarely go into Playa when I stay in the Mayan as I don't really see a need to if I am on a resort. A lot of people will probably feel the same. Just stay on the resort as opposed to not going.

Might hamper the 18-25 year old crowd who wants to go to clubs though.

Mitsu3000gt
01-16-2017, 10:54 AM
I never go to places like that off the resort for this exact reason, but I also always thought that the cartels had an unwritten rule to leave tourist areas alone - I guess not.

Kobe
01-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Seems 5 confirmed dead, 2 Canadians..

1 girl has also died from people running away and got trampled..

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/16/americas/mexico-club-shooting/index.html

Just hits pretty hard from the thread I made while Living there last year since I know there is a 90% chance I would of been on 12th for the last night of BPM...

Pretty nuts though, everyone saying Playa has gotten 100X worse in the last 3 months then it's ever been with all the violence...

BMDUBS
01-16-2017, 03:51 PM
I am currently in Playa and as far as I am concerned this is all in BPM's organizations shoulders. I went to a party last week and the security was laughable at best to get in. Drugs were openly being sold inside the event and seemed like regular business and phased no one.

Even the regular clubs outside of BPM in the vicinity of the Blue Parrot and even just walking down 10th you are constantly being offered drugs from store owners, tour operators and just dudes on the street. It's a running joke down here. There is always a drug dealer or three in the club bathrooms.

But having said all of that, this will not make me feel unsafe here. Just like anywhere else in the world, don't be in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you're coming down to party, beware. If you're just coming to enjoy Mexico and the Mayan Riviera, just have your wits about you and don't be out on the streets super late at night and avoid the nightclubs in general and it's totally fine. Just my 2 cents

OTown
01-16-2017, 04:34 PM
Sounds like a drug dealer turf war to me. I would say the blame lies on the local cartels, dealers, and local police force. I went to that exact club last year and every 10 minutes I was asked if I wanted any drugs. I spoke to one of their friend there and he basically said that each dealer will have his club or area and will try to keep the violence down, and in turn the cops turn a blind eye.

Local municipal cops are very corrupt in those cities as they are pretty much helpless against the cartels. He basically said that if a straight-edged cop comes in trying to clean the place up the cop would disappear within a week never to be seen again.

Pretty scary stuff if you ask me, and surprised this hasn't happened more often.

JRSC00LUDE
01-16-2017, 04:40 PM
I'd have a hard time going back to Mexico even if it was free.

A790
01-16-2017, 04:43 PM
Been to Mexico 14 times. There won't be a fifteenth.

lasimmon
01-16-2017, 04:53 PM
Because of a Drug related shooting at 2:30 am in the morning? :drama:

jabjab
01-16-2017, 05:07 PM
this isnt much different than the drug related shootings that have happened in Calgary before. BPM is known for the amounts of drugs being consumed so it makes it a bit more risky.

killramos
01-16-2017, 05:09 PM
When I can go somewhere, pretty well anywhere else, and not have this happen to me?

Yea pretty much.

Everything thinks shit like this can't / won't happen to them.

GLWT

A790
01-16-2017, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Among many other reasons, yes.

JRSC00LUDE
01-17-2017, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon

I've been extolling Mexico's virtues as a shithole for years, long before this happened! :rofl:

Kobe
01-17-2017, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by jabjab
this isnt much different than the drug related shootings that have happened in Calgary before. BPM is known for the amounts of drugs being consumed so it makes it a bit more risky.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01/17/zetas-cartel-claims-to-be-behind-playa-del-carmen-shooting.html

Gang related, they are going to chop of the rival gangs heads old school they saying...

There was just a shooting in Cancun (prob gang related) and I heard there was one in Playa last night, there was 5 cartel members who went into blue parrot that day and only caught 3 of them...

I'd prob stay away right Cancun/Playa right now....

ercchry
01-17-2017, 04:50 PM
My brother is being a retard... "oh, coworker is coming in today with their wedding party, they have tickets to something in playa Thursday. I think I'm going to go" stay on the resort!!!! "You're the only one making this a big deal, everything I have read says it was someone denied entry and it was an isolated thing"

:banghead:

Kobe
01-17-2017, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
My brother is being a retard... "oh, coworker is coming in today with their wedding party, they have tickets to something in playa Thursday. I think I'm going to go" stay on the resort!!!! "You're the only one making this a big deal, everything I have read says it was someone denied entry and it was an isolated thing"

:banghead:

I know getting from Playa to the Cancun airport right now is a pain in the ass since the roads are closed, seems the shooting happened right outfront of one of the resorts in Cancun. The hotel strip is blocked right now so you can't enter it, I'm sure it will be cleared up but if they go there i'd highly recommend staying in the resort right now, This is going to keep escalating in the next couple days for sure..

Edit: one of the shooting there was multiple gun battles in different locations of Cancun today...

ercchry
01-17-2017, 05:14 PM
Yeah turns out he is on a resort just outside (north) of playa (they just flew into cancun on Sunday morning)

b_t
01-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Going to Puerto next month. Seems like all the action's on the other side of the country so I'm looking forward to a nice relaxing holiday :rofl:

Kobe
01-17-2017, 05:16 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/7554a2e1c39a7684c2c6c7f05c5b9a14.png

Grenades attacks infront of the attorney generals office.. shit is getting super serious right now...

zehnd
01-18-2017, 06:56 AM
If Cancun doesn't get their shit together it could become another Acapulco. Acapulco was a place to go to years ago.

bjstare
01-18-2017, 09:31 AM
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Mexico is awful.

I'd literally rather stay home than vacation there.

born2workoncars
01-21-2017, 10:15 AM
It's a shame that the cartels have taken over. Mexico seems like a geographically beautiful place with lots of culture, and is somewhere I'd love to explore overland.

I wonder what effect universal drug legalization could have in Mexico? Just thinking out loud...

FixedGear
01-21-2017, 10:52 AM
Legalization of all drugs would end many of the social problems in North America. The war on drugs will never end however because it benefits powerful branches of govt (DEA, FBI, local and federal police, border patrol, customs, judicial branch) and industry (corporate prisons, multinational alcohol, big pharma which is effectively legalized drug manufacturing and distribution). At the end of the day, the majority of US prison population and all the cartel deaths exist for the benefit of the upper social class.