PDA

View Full Version : 111 in an 80 zone

CrazyDemon
03-21-2004, 12:48 AM
I was driving my friend home to Okotoks last night after watching a movie, and we took Mcleod Trail which becomes the #2 Highway after the City limit.

It was about midnight, and after crossing the 22X, I was under the impression that the speed limit has already changed to 100. I was wrong. I sped up to about 105 and soon after, a cop comes out of the buses and pulls me over. He says I've been going 111 and gives me a ticket for going 31 over.

I honestly feel that this was a trap, and I was not endangering anyone by going around 100 on the exact same strech of road that inherits the 100k/h limit about 1-2k from the point I was pulled over.

I just turned 18, and Im still an 'occasional driver' on my parent's insurance. I have a clean record, and everyone will tell you that I'm a very safe driver. I have also already contacted POINTTS to see what they can do for me.

What should I do?

silvercivicsir
03-21-2004, 12:54 AM
Dude your in the wrong, and
Yes it is a speed trap, But you were speeding. it's your fault for not checking the speed limit..

Pay the Fine, and Learn your lesson..

Gonthro
03-21-2004, 01:12 AM
points will likely get the demerits knocked off.. but as was said, you were in the wrong, until you pass that sign that says 100 they can nail ya

ninspeed
03-21-2004, 02:05 AM
call pointts... but you are guilty... get your demerits off

joegrang
03-21-2004, 10:23 AM
well if it make u feel any better I got caught in the same place except I was doing 141 in that zone... took it to pointts they knocked it down to 50 over the limit which was not speeding in excess. But yea it sucks dude. The only argument that covers it is pretty much that u thought it was a highway

benyl
03-21-2004, 10:48 AM
what should you do?

a search. There are probably 100 threads on this topic.

You got caught, pay the consequences. Sucks, I know, but thems the rules.

rice_eater
03-21-2004, 12:06 PM
my road goes from 30 to 50...should i just do 50 through the playground? just busting your balls man :poosie: tickets always suck, especially when you're in the middle of nowhere but what can you do...just go to CP get what deal he gives you and call it a day.

CKY
03-21-2004, 01:52 PM
yes this is a speed trap, its just like the ones they set on end of playground zones

crazydriver
03-21-2004, 10:45 PM
ya i agree, there was no sign saying 100ks so its still considered a 80.. and u were going 100+, therefore u were speeding.. go get the demerits off and pay the ticket..

CrazyDemon
03-22-2004, 07:02 PM
I dont have a problem paying the fine because it's true that I was speeding, but do I need a lawyer or Points to get the demerits off, do I show up in court by myself?

Also, In Ontario there is a program called "First Appearence" that almost always takes off the demerits and reduces the fine if it's your first offence. Do they have that in Alberta?

crazydriver
03-23-2004, 12:22 AM
i think u just show up to court and explain to the judge... then they decide on the punishment to give u.. but i've never been there b4 myself so i'm not sure, i've only heard from friends and etc... as for the "frist appearence" again, i've haven't been there.. so no clue on that sry...

?????
03-23-2004, 01:56 PM
just go talk to the "justice of peace" i think thats what their called and tell them you'll pay the fine but you want either no demerits or reduced demerits and a lower fine. tell them your a student. that always works and that you've learned your lesson. just dont' get another ticket cuz your first ticket doesn't affect your insurance.

CrazyDemon
04-01-2004, 03:36 PM
So I went down and talked to the JP today.
They said I have 2 options:
1 - cut the fine in half - 2 demerits
2 - go get my car's spedometere dyno'ed. This results in an 'equipment violation' of $120 with no demerits.

I chose option 2, got it tested the same day (of course it was 1.5km/h off, no spedometers are perfect), paid $120, and that was it.

Not bad.