PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car from dealer - Morals

swak
01-21-2017, 01:17 PM
So I'm way too nice sometimes I suppose, and now feel bad for being what is probably pretty sketchy haha...

Having second thoughts on buying a car, was looking to turf my GTI and buy a Focus ST, but with more and more thought thinking of just keeping my Golf....

Dealer brought in the Ford from out of province, now thinking of backing out... Put $500 deposit down, not so concerned with that. Just ehh how big of a dick move would it be i suppose lol

max_boost
01-21-2017, 01:22 PM
You lose the $500 and walk away

dj_rice
01-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by swak
So I'm way too nice sometimes I suppose, and now feel bad for being what is probably pretty sketchy haha...

Having second thoughts on buying a car, was looking to turf my GTI and buy a Focus ST, but with more and more thought thinking of just keeping my Golf....

Dealer brought in the Ford from out of province, now thinking of backing out... Put $500 deposit down, not so concerned with that. Just ehh how big of a dick move would it be i suppose lol

Not really a dick move. Tons of shit happens with car sales. Deals tube, can't get financing, etc etc.

Somebody else will buy that car eventually.

Thaco
01-21-2017, 01:34 PM
your deposit is there to pay for the expenses associated, i a sure it cost the dealer like $100 to move the car, they probably just piggybacked another haul, dont feel bad, its business, they wont feel bad for trying to soak you on the price.

rx7boi
01-22-2017, 12:51 AM
That's what deposits are for. Now you can walk away :D

They'll find another buyer.

delco21
01-22-2017, 08:15 AM
The dealer can't hold the deposit even though they brought in the car for you. That's your money and no deal is final till you drive off the lot. If you fight a little for it they'll give it back to keep customers happy and hope they come back when it is time to buy a car and to keep AMVIC from getting involved

jdmXSI
01-22-2017, 09:18 AM
From the way i understand it, the dealer would have the right to keep your deposit because they incurred an unnecessary expense to aquire the vehicle opposed to just ordering stock from the factory. Even if you go to amvic, they will probably side with the dealer.

Secondary shipping from other provinces can range from $250 (Edmonton) to 600 (vancouver) and up to 1600 if you go as far east as Halifax.

If you dont want to move forward, be willing to walk away from your deposit. In my opinion, it would be better to lose 500 than have a car i didnt really want. Who knows, maybe they will give it back?

By the way, which dealer did you buy from?

Best of luck!

Sonic
01-22-2017, 11:23 AM
If you want to do this based on good morals (as you suggest in your title)........ then I would say walk away...the dealer is there running a business, they incurred extra costs to bring you a car you wanted, it would be a "dick move" and bad morals for you IF you were to fight to get it back.

But if you just walk away and leave the $500, then that's great on your part, the deposit is there with the understanding that you are going to buy the car and the dealer does what they need to do to get it to you...you change your mind, they get to keep it. They change their mind, they give it back.

Forget all the technicalities, this is the whole reason why deposits were invented and since you're asking based on "morals"..."do the right thing"
:thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
01-22-2017, 12:09 PM

thetransporter
01-22-2017, 04:39 PM
if its a US Car or from a rust free market it could be better for you

automotivat3d
01-26-2017, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by delco21
The dealer can't hold the deposit even though they brought in the car for you. That's your money and no deal is final till you drive off the lot. If you fight a little for it they'll give it back to keep customers happy and hope they come back when it is time to buy a car and to keep AMVIC from getting involved
That's true. Majority of the time deposits are subject to finance or subject to delivery. Unless you signed a document saying that the deposit is non refundable or being used as a service credit then I don't see why you can't get the $500 back without breaking a sweat.

swak
01-26-2017, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

That said, if you have a good relationship with the sales guy, see if they will give it to you as a credit towards another purchase at a later date in the future (also, get paper work for a credit)

That's exactly what I did, he's a friend of a friend and works in the same industry as me on the side... So I just left it as a deposit, he was cool with it. Super nervous backing out, but financially would be a little harder, and still love the Volks life... To kind-of base my decision.

:angel: