PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Golf Thread

Pages : [1] 2

npham
01-23-2017, 09:33 PM
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm itching to play some real golf. I've played a couple times on the sim this winter and been to the dome as well, but it's just not the same. This must be what Tiger feels like, sitting out all those weeks. But he's back in action this week at Torrey Pines.

What are everyone goals this year? Mine should have been to not buy new gear this year, but I didn't even last 3 weeks thanks to cjblair. Instead, I'm hoping to get myself down to 2-3 index and keep it there. I'd love to get down to scratch, but 5-6 strokes off my index in one year is wishful thinking.

killramos
01-23-2017, 10:09 PM
I'm feeling it too, took on a designate assignment at valley ridge for '17 so I'm going for it this year. I'm cheap af when it comes to deciding on a day to day basis (also lazy) so now I'm good to go for the season. Can't take much vacation this spring/fall so I should get plenty of use. Hoping to get some regular rounds in after work as much as possible.

Gunna head to the dome on Thursday to see how bad I am coming into things. Goal is below 100 consistently and mid-low90's if possible. Sounds modest but my best rounds last year were ~103.

Equipment wise I need a new wood. Maybe another wedge if I manage to work my current one properly into my game.

Stoked!

npham
01-23-2017, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by killramos
took on a designate assignment at valley ridge for '17

What did you pay? I might take one on as well, or be an annual somewhere. Got till March 1st before I need to decide, as that's when my VIPGolf membership because non refundable.

killramos
01-23-2017, 10:35 PM
3200, the whole designate thing works out nicely as I get full equity privileges (extra day to book versus annual etc) without paying the equity. Lots of people out there who aren't able to unload their memberships that doing a designate is a good option for the year.

It's worth a call to the membership coordinator of any club to see what the status of their membership is.

npham
01-23-2017, 10:43 PM
That's not a bad price, but there's a lot of other courses I'd rather play than Valley Ridge for that money. Plus, for a guy that shoots around 100, I hope you have a shitload of balls or don't care what kind of ball you play, because you are going to lose a ton playing there 30-50 times a year! That course is fairly tight and there's a potential to lose a ball on nearly every hole.

killramos
01-24-2017, 08:00 AM
Haha I played like 60% of my rounds last year at VR, I know what I am getting into. My father in law plays there as well so that was a pretty big factor in my decision. I picked up the designate from an old friend of his who moved. I like the course, and don't disagree with you that there are better places to play the stars just kindof aligned on this. I also like that its very doable to get to from DT after work.

As for balls, I play HX Bite's. Does that answer your question? Makes me work on my discipline haha.

In the scope of my game balls could not make an ounce of difference. Maybe by the end of the year haha.

acedia
01-24-2017, 09:36 AM
I'm going crazy too, man. Playing WGT on the iPad constantly, Golf Channel is driving my family insane, reading Zen Golf right now so I can mind control myself to greatness. ha ha

Doesn't help that a good friend is down in Scottsdale right now, playing Grayhawk today and tomorrow (and somewhere else Thursday!!). Lucky bastard.

I'm cheap af when it comes to deciding on a day to day basis (also lazy) so now I'm good to go for the season. Can't take much vacation this spring/fall so I should get plenty of use. Hoping to get some regular rounds in after work as much as possible.
This is me exactly. If I get a text from a buddy to go play 9 after supper, or do 18 some weekend, I'm always going back and forth on whether to spend the dough or not... a membership means you never really worry about that, and you'll go way more than paying green fees. Hell, I'd get bored late in the evening in the summer, and pop down just to play the first 6 holes if that's all the light there was.

Finally bought myself a laser rangefinder this Christmas, always wanted one of those...

Oh, goals... had an up and down year last year. Got consistently into the 80's for a while, even shot a pair of 77's which is my best score ever, and the only two times I broke 80 last year. Weird, I think my second best score last year was 82, and that was only once. Just got hot at moments during the season. Ended the year in the mid 90's though. My index was down to 10.6 at one point, ended the season at 13. I want that sonofabitch below 10.

killramos
01-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by acedia

This is me exactly. If I get a text from a buddy to go play 9 after supper, or do 18 some weekend, I'm always going back and forth on whether to spend the dough or not... a membership means you never really worry about that, and you'll go way more than paying green fees. Hell, I'd get bored late in the evening in the summer, and pop down just to play the first 6 holes if that's all the light there was.

Another big one for me is weather, if there is even a chance of it starting to pour halfway through the round I tend to write the day off because i don't want to waste the money. Even though in Calgary 9 times out of 10 its probably fine or rains for 5-10 minutes max during the round. Actually most people i golf with are even worse than me for that so it ruins alot of plans to play.

Membership worst case you just go get some lunch in the club house or go home wgaf.

acedia
01-24-2017, 10:36 AM
For sure, man. Are you thinking of going into the Men's League at all? I did last year for the first time ever, a little nervous but it ended up being tons of fun.

I also went into the club championships for the hell of it. It's flighted, so all kinds of skill levels in it. It was the first (official) competitive round I've ever done, and holy shit is it ever a different animal. Not that I'm a cheat by any means, but there's something about it being hardcore by the book, playing with people you don't know, and having to hole everything out. I wanted to throw up after 4 putting a greasy big breaking downhiller on one hole... ugh. Then there was my start... par, bogey, birdie, TEN ON A GODDAMNED PAR 4, par. :banghead: :D

As bad as it was in spots, it was fun as hell, man. Good to put yourself into a pressure cooker once in a while to see how your spine holds up! ha ha

And yeah, with the weather, sometimes if it gets too rainy it's easy to call it quits. Or I'll walk out to spots on the fairway and work on some wedges, hit some different shots I don't get to play a bunch, not bothering to keep score or play the entire hole.

RickDaTuner
01-24-2017, 10:39 AM
Hoping for a new set of clubs for this season, and to take some lessons as well. Learning and playing with friends was fun, but I think I'll enjoy it even more with some guided instruction.

killramos
01-24-2017, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by acedia
For sure, man. Are you thinking of going into the Men's League at all? I did last year for the first time ever, a little nervous but it ended up being tons of fun.

See my 103 average score above, me entering a league isn't fun for anyone.

If I get my act together i could see myself playing in a club tournament towards the end of the season but that's the extent of it.

I know my limits, I just like playing the game.

I have been making a push to keep pretty honest golf. 10 inch gimme's aside. I also started using my garmin to keep more accurate score so I can work on improvement. If you aren't honest you might as well not count score at all. Hopefully that mindset helps if i do a league in the future.

ExtraSlow
01-24-2017, 12:55 PM
If you need someone shitty to play with, it sounds like we have similar skill levels.

I golf so little that the one thing I try to work on is course management. I know I'm going to shit some shitty shots through the round, but I find it makes a big difference if I can at least play a bit smarter, which typically means laying up, aiming for the fat landing zones, working backwards from my comfortable wedge range for second shots etc.

I have a lot of areas I need to improve, but that's one I can do in my head each round, so I try to work on that.

If I don't just get drunk. I like drinking outdoors, so some days I just put the scorecard away and let loose. :thumbsup:

killramos
01-24-2017, 01:00 PM
We will get out this summer for sure Mr. Slow

npham
03-08-2017, 10:00 AM
I haven't seen this before, but it's hilarious.

Happy Gilmore Reunion
https://www.facebook.com/tony.skiens/videos/101/53304158301414

I know it's FB, but it's the best quality version out there.

Dave P
03-08-2017, 10:21 AM
This year I need to take some lessons and play more.

Those are my goals.

Father-In-Law is retired and plans on golfing couple times a week. Cant be beat by him.

Dumbass17
03-08-2017, 10:54 AM
I just found out my client has a 5 bedroom condo in Phoenix that I can use, for free. With a private pool and use of a chevy tahoe and 2 bikes.... and we just booked a boys golfing trip in Calgary so its too late :banghead: :banghead:

cool story bro

ExtraSlow
03-08-2017, 10:54 AM
I'd like to be too busy to golf this year. Last year I was too broke to golf. :cry:

B18C
03-10-2017, 09:17 PM
I joined Hamptons last year but barely played. Hoping to get the kids into it and get out more this year.

npham
03-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by B18C
I joined Hamptons last year but barely played. Hoping to get the kids into it and get out more this year.

I love the tee boxes at the Hamptons, they are so pillowy. They are better than some of the greens in Calgary :eek: Scoring is tough if you are not driving the ball straight.

I'm playing as someone's designate this year at Elbow, so I'm hoping to get in a ton of rounds. Picked up 15 dozen balls the other day, so I think the 20 dozen or so should last me a season...

20incheyes
03-21-2017, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by npham
so I think the 20 dozen or so should last me a season...

Well if u end up playing 80 rounds this year, you can loose a ball every 6 holes :burnout:

I only bought 3 dozen custom Pro V1s so if any of you see one numbered #69 with CH on it in lime, black or blue send me a pm as I may need that ball back in September ;)

Gleneagles is taking off some of its 79 tarps today. Paradise Canyon in Lehtbridge may be open March 24th. I expect TPC Fox Hollow to be open anyday

Any other opening news?

bjstare
03-21-2017, 05:08 PM
I missed this thread somehow!

Like you other guys, been itching to get out. I've been averaging the dome at least once a week. Got new irons (Z765s), and some other odds and ends. Been stockpiling balls. Can't wait to get out, my course doesn't open for another month.

Goals? Drop my 14 index to 10. It's a steep goal, but I figure at least another 50 rounds this year should be a good start. I beat 50 last year, barring work travel there's no reason I can't do that again.

Also, despite what npham says, none of his purchases were directly influenced by me... unless you count FOMO of equipment purchases :rofl:

npham
03-21-2017, 05:35 PM
Someone told me River's Edge is opening April 7th, but I don't see it happening unless we get consistent double digit weather.

killramos
03-21-2017, 05:39 PM
I would even be happy to spend some time on the range at the course...

20incheyes
03-22-2017, 02:10 PM
Blue Devil and Glenagles opening this Friday on real greens. Book your tee time asap. I don't like to support this group but if I wasn't in Hawaii I prob would book a time myself.

killramos
03-23-2017, 02:43 PM
Are any of the outdoor ranges open yet this year? I went to the dome this morning but it seems like such a waste with the 15 degree weather we are seeing...

Would like to get an hour in in the sunshine this weekend if possible.

Dumbass17
03-23-2017, 02:46 PM
Are any of the outdoor ranges open yet this year? I went to the dome this morning but it seems like such a waste with the 15 degree weather we are seeing...

Would like to get an hour in in the sunshine this weekend if possible.
McCall opens saturday

Why would you go to the dome...ever?
Go to the outdoor heating driving range at Canada Golf Centre... silly boy:nut:

killramos
03-23-2017, 03:03 PM
Dome's 5 minutes away from me. Its not that bad? What exactly do you expect from a driving range lol

In any case McCall saturday sounds like a good time to me :thumbsup:

Dumbass17
03-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Isn't the dome like 90yards and like 50ft high?

Buster
03-23-2017, 06:56 PM
I don't know where you guys find the time to golf. Maybe fewer kids?

It's such a huge time commitment to get out for a round, I'm basically restricted to corporate/work events nowadays...which is just a few a year.

Dumbass17
03-23-2017, 08:16 PM
^^^ precisely why I don't want and won't have kids haha. I got out 63 times last season, although my scorecard would beg to differ haha

roopi
03-23-2017, 10:02 PM
Golf show this weekend. Has anyone went in the past? Worth attending?

bjstare
03-24-2017, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

McCall opens saturday

Why would you go to the dome...ever?
Go to the outdoor heating driving range at Canada Golf Centre... silly boy:nut:

1. The range there has the shittiest balls ever. Combine that with hitting them when they're frozen, and it literally feels like hitting rocks. In the fall, I tried asking if they'd put a bucket inside for me if I called ahead, and he looked at me like I was an idiot - that's the last time I went there.

2. It's "heated", but it's still cold as balls if there's any breeze at all.

Isn't the dome like 90yards and like 50ft high?

I think it's longer than that. Either way, it doesn't really matter. It's big enough that you can see ball flight (with all clubs except wedges), which is what matters. I taught myself to hit a draw this winter in the dome. :dunno:

killramos
03-24-2017, 07:52 AM
:werd:

I know whether my shot is good or not well before it hits the back of the dome...

Bedsides. Range balls aren't going to give you a true idea of course distance anyways.

I just go to work on my swing thoughts and have some fun.

Dumbass17
03-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

1. The range there has the shittiest balls ever. Combine that with hitting them when they're frozen, and it literally feels like hitting rocks. In the fall, I tried asking if they'd put a bucket inside for me if I called ahead, and he looked at me like I was an idiot - that's the last time I went there.

2. It's "heated", but it's still cold as balls if there's any breeze at all.

I think it's longer than that. Either way, it doesn't really matter. It's big enough that you can see ball flight (with all clubs except wedges), which is what matters. I taught myself to hit a draw this winter in the dome. :dunno:
Cold? How cold is it when you went? I don't go there if its below like 4C

ExtraSlow
03-24-2017, 08:57 AM
Dome is fine for everything but driver. Sure, lots of the other clubs hit the back wall, but like mentioned, I'll know if the shot was shitty long before then.

npham
03-24-2017, 12:29 PM
I taught myself to hit a draw this winter in the dome. :dunno: You'll be regretting this, I just wanted it quoted to refer to at the end of the season ;)

bjstare
03-25-2017, 09:38 AM
You'll be regretting this, I just wanted it quoted to refer to at the end of the season ;)

I'm sure this will come back to haunt me now. Thanks, dick.

Cold? How cold is it when you went? I don't go there if its below like 4C
Well you suggested it as an alternative to the dome for winter practise. Pretty sure it's been colder than 4C for like.... the entire winter when I was practising at the dome :rofl:

colinxx235
03-25-2017, 11:02 AM
^

Hahahaha, I was just about to say as I was scrolling down about the draw comment. Can't wait to see it in action on the course ;)

With Nam getting that Elbow membership for the season I'm sure we will have lots of comments in this thread post rounds.

@Buster, no kids = 50 rounds a summer :rofl:

npham
03-25-2017, 07:17 PM
I just cancelled my tee time at Glen Eagles(2 people) for 12:20 tomorrow. Someone can call and grab that time if they want to play tomorrow. I got too many things going on to play.

Dumbass17
03-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Went to the golf show today. Don't bother.

FullFledgedYYC
03-27-2017, 11:58 AM
Went to the golf show today. Don't bother.

Agreed. They need to seriously refresh that show. Also, the "deals" are not great at all. I got an M1 3 wood for my brother in law a week ago for 199, brand NEW. Demo's were selling for like 239 or 249 at the show. Awful.

npham
03-28-2017, 03:26 PM
I used Ted and Dave Custom Golf to bend my new irons flat and it was a disaster. Save your money and go elsewhere. Lyle at Simply Golf does much better work, but I was in hurry, and decided to give these guys a shot. It was the worst mistake I made with my brand new irons. They charge more than their competitors, and I thought that would have been reflected in the work they do, but I was clearly wrong. My irons came back damaged and dirty. No apology was given for the damage done to the clubs, just a lame explanation to a customer who knows better - you can bend irons without damaging them. He tried fixing the dents in the hosel by polishing them out. It was a complete joke. Also, since my clubs were there for work, you would expect them give them a quick wipe, but they came back dirtier than when I dropped them off.

Golf Town does better work, and that's a sad truth.

kJUMP
03-29-2017, 01:33 PM
You all should check out Golf Traders in south Calgary, Macleod Tr near Anderson. He has new, demo and used stuff for kick ass prices. Bought a PING cadence putter new for $150 cheaper than at GT. Also got a demo of the new PING G driver with stiff shaft for $330. The owner is a nice guy too.

bjstare
04-03-2017, 08:46 AM
So, what are everyone's thoughts on the 4-shot penalty that cost Lexi a major title this weekend?

I think it's complete BS, no wonder golf is a shrinking sport. What kid is going to want to play a sport when they see shit like that happen on TV to one of their favorite players? :facepalm:

It's outrageous that the LPGA takes officiating advice from couch potatoes, even after the round is over. Especially on an infraction as inconsequential as that one was.

SOAB
04-03-2017, 09:09 AM
So, what are everyone's thoughts on the 4-shot penalty that cost Lexi a major title this weekend?

I think it's complete BS, no wonder golf is a shrinking sport. What kid is going to want to play a sport when they see shit like that happen on TV to one of their favorite players? :facepalm:

It's outrageous that the LPGA takes officiating advice from couch potatoes, even after the round is over. Especially on an infraction as inconsequential as that one was.

they really need to change many of the stupid rules that golf has. it is ridiculous.

my friends and i follow the "casual golf rules" which keep the game fun, instead of stupid.

killramos
04-03-2017, 09:15 AM
What was the penalty for? Didn't watch.

I thought they just addressed this with the recent changes?

Playing with someone who insists on following EVERY rule is the most aggravating experience known to man.

roopi
04-03-2017, 09:29 AM
It's stupid how they call the penalty on a previous round. If they aren't going to call it when it happens then it should never be called.

Dave P
04-03-2017, 10:12 AM
It is interesting for sure.

What if someone watched a major from 10 years ago and saw an error? Would they change the results?

I am not 100% but does every group have an official that stays with them all day? If they don't enforce it then, it shouldn't count.

ExtraSlow
04-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Playing with someone who insists on following EVERY rule is the most aggravating experience known to man. I don't mind playing "all" the rules, but once someone starts chirping me about my play, I'll start breaking every one just to piss them off. Most of the folks I play with regularly know better. Most of them beat me regularly too. It all works out.

asp integra
04-03-2017, 12:35 PM
I got out to Silverwing on Saturday. Was pretty good for the first round of the year. I shot a 92 despite having four 8s on my card. It was super windy all day that added an interesting element to the round but it was fun playing with the wind and using it to my advantage in some cases

bjstare
04-07-2017, 07:01 AM
Got an email yesterday, Pinebrook opens on Thursday :clap: :clap:

Have a Monday morning tee time at Glen Eagles as well.

Dumbass17
04-07-2017, 10:01 AM
Damn you forecast! Make up your mind!!!
Monday said 18mm of rain on saturday
Thursday said 15C and sunshine on saturday
Now it's calling for a bit of rain again.

Boo-urns

killramos
04-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Started getting emails from the membership director today. Valley ridge opening Wednesday and driving range is now open!

So do I golf Saturday or study for my exam Saturday night.... :rofl:

colinxx235
04-09-2017, 02:38 PM
So far got 3 rounds in with Nam.

Last friday was the best weather we've had. The previous fri/sat were a bit chilly and very windy at times. Elbow is in a bit tough shape this early in season but to be expected. So far 90/88/83 are the rounds.

bjstare
04-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Got out on Monday with a buddy (Glen Eagles), shot an 89. I'm pretty happy with that being my first round of the year, and first round with new irons, wedges, and putter haha. The putter is a much better fit for my stroke, saved me probably 4-5 on the scorecard.

Now, if this effing snow would just stop I could start playing my home course again.

killramos
04-13-2017, 03:23 PM
Booked a time for my first game of the year tomorrow late morning. Looks like weather won't be a complete disaster *knock on wood*.

Hoping for the best, it will be nice to get out and off the range again. Feeling like I have a better base for my swing than last year but that isn't saying much.

If I get into the swing of things I'd like to reward myself with an m2 wood. Wishful thinking in all likelihood.

FullFledgedYYC
04-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Booked a time for my first game of the year tomorrow late morning. Looks like weather won't be a complete disaster *knock on wood*.

Hoping for the best, it will be nice to get out and off the range again. Feeling like I have a better base for my swing than last year but that isn't saying much.

If I get into the swing of things I'd like to reward myself with an m2 wood. Wishful thinking in all likelihood.

If you end up getting that M2 wood I would definitely go with last years... I have tested Taylormade's last year woods and drivers to this new years models several times and the previous year is always superior. Could be different for you of course, but I have a hard time believing the increased cost for this year's model is worth it.

lasimmon
04-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Looking to play this weekend.

Any courses open that are worth playing?

roopi
04-19-2017, 01:09 PM
Playing my first round on Saturday at Speargrass.

killramos
04-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC

If you end up getting that M2 wood I would definitely go with last years... I have tested Taylormade's last year woods and drivers to this new years models several times and the previous year is always superior. Could be different for you of course, but I have a hard time believing the increased cost for this year's model is worth it.

I'm debating with an m2 or a cobra right now and will probably go with last years in either case. Might give a used club from one of the traders a try.

So far (1 round) I am not playing well enough to reward myself haha. No worse than end of last season though which is a small victory.

npham
04-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Looking to play this weekend.

Any courses open that are worth playing?

Pretty much everything is open.

colinxx235
04-19-2017, 03:20 PM

I'm debating with an m2 or a cobra right now and will probably go with last years in either case. Might give a used club from one of the traders a try.

So far (1 round) I am not playing well enough to reward myself haha. No worse than end of last season though which is a small victory.

Npham might have a cheap lightly used M2 for sale pretty soon here :rofl:
The cobras are nice, and honestly if you want something super forgiving definitely give the pings a lookover (cheaper also)

bjstare
04-19-2017, 08:53 PM
Nam, are you suckin it with that new driver?!

I might need to take that head off your hands. :rofl:

npham
04-20-2017, 10:38 AM
I haven't had a chance to play it(much)! There was a rattle, so I had to get that sorted out first. It's an M1, not an M2!

roopi
04-20-2017, 10:46 AM
I haven't had a chance to play it(much)! There was a rattle, so I had to get that sorted out first. It's an M1, not an M2!

Did you ever play the SLDR? If so how does it compare?

I'm a fan of Taylor Made drivers but really hated the SLDR and have been considering the M1/M2.

npham
04-20-2017, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by roopi

Did you ever play the SLDR? If so how does it compare?

I'm a fan of Taylor Made drivers but really hated the SLDR and have been considering the M1/M2. Played the SLDR 430 for a season or so. It was a bomber, but the mishits were way too punishing. The M1 is a nice upgrade on that that driver. You still get the long ones, but the mishits aren't nearly as bad. I've hit quite a few bad shots with the M1 that still went 250-270 yards. You really need a fitting though, because it's low spinning and finding the right shaft is going to make a world of difference.

colinxx235
04-20-2017, 11:21 AM
Nam, are you suckin it with that new driver?!

I might need to take that head off your hands. :rofl:

She's a dirty pirate hooker (hooking?) M1 (not M2... my bad)

I feel if he offloaded every club he wasnt happy with this season he'd only be left with a few irons :rofl:

We have also played in some pretty windy conditions for the most part, and a bit colder. The elbow side is extremely wet also, lots of tough wedges if you land in the wrong area.

roopi
04-20-2017, 11:40 AM
Played the SLDR 430 for a season or so. It was a bomber, but the mishits were way too punishing. The M1 is a nice upgrade on that that driver. You still get the long ones, but the mishits aren't nearly as bad. I've hit quite a few bad shots with the M1 that still went 250-270 yards. You really need a fitting though, because it's low spinning and finding the right shaft is going to make a world of difference.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at getting a driver/wood fitting done this year. Any recommendations on who to use?

npham
04-20-2017, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at getting a driver/wood fitting done this year. Any recommendations on who to use? I went to a demo day, and worked with a travelling TM rep. Then booked a time with a local TM rep to get fitted. He was alright but he didn't have as many shafts as I'd expect.

~Leah~
05-08-2017, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at getting a driver/wood fitting done this year. Any recommendations on who to use?

See if you can get in to see Craig Dale at Country Hills. He's a certified fitter with EVERY brand (he does have a Titleist bias but every Pro is biased to what they play). They've got a Trackman hooked up hitting out of their bay.

npham
05-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~

See if you can get in to see Craig Dale at Country Hills. He's a certified fitter with EVERY brand (he does have a Titleist bias but every Pro is biased to what they play). They've got a Trackman hooked up hitting out of their bay.

Craig fitted me for my old 915. He's a great fitter.

bjstare
05-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Got away to play 18 today. Great front 9, mediocre back 9 (probably due to me carrying for the first time in over a year, and getting tired).. came away with an 88. I'm happy with that for this early in the year.

Beautiful weather.

killramos
05-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Played in a season opener scramble on Saturday which was great. Put a few new clubs in the bag which I am liking. Used clubs are definitely the way to go for me.

Tried to play yesterday morning but with 4C and rain I quit after 5 holes and sat in the clubhouse shooting the shit for 3 more hours since I was meeting the wife for lunch :rofl:

Dumbass17
05-09-2017, 08:13 AM
Played 18 at spring banks on saturday. what a cool/hellish/insanely difficult course. The front 9 was a mess. My buddy and I gave up keeping score after the 4th hole. i'm just happy we didn't walk.

lasimmon
05-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Played 18 at spring banks on saturday. what a cool/hellish/insanely difficult course. The front 9 was a mess. My buddy and I gave up keeping score after the 4th hole. i'm just happy we didn't walk.

Eh I find it to be fairly easy. Maybe because I have played it a few times.

Shot 83 there last thursday.

colinxx235
05-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon

Eh I find it to be fairly easy. Maybe because I have played it a few times.

Shot 83 there last thursday.

Word, it is only 6300 from the blue with a 70.4 rating which even that might be a bit generous :dunno:

Nice track though overall.

lasimmon
05-09-2017, 10:13 AM
I like how both 9's are different. Switches things up a bit.

Although I hate when you go on a day that you start on the back 9, and you have to start on that par 3 :whipped:

Dumbass17
05-09-2017, 01:43 PM
I found it extremely difficult, but it was my first time there and I'm used to flat city courses like McCall, Shag, Confed etc
It was very dry and hot and so the ball rolled and rolled for ages and with all the different grades, you would hit a 'safe' shot and then walk up and it's nowhere near being safe haha.
The heat/dry weather probably explains why I hit a drive while the group ahead was on the green and I landed just outside the fringe on a 330y tee box.

I really enjoyed the back 9.
Again I hit a monster 5iron as my friend said 'there's no way you can hit the green from here' even though I wasn't sure. Well, I hit and landed on the green for eagle attempt while the group ahead was putting. I drove up and apologized immediately/my friend took the blame and they were cool about it.:nut:

bjstare
05-10-2017, 03:46 PM
Fantastic weather again today. Played a bit worse, shot a 90. Had one really bad hole (triple), and probably 8 3-putt bogeys. So frustrating to be striking the ball well, and burn the lip on a bunch of puts.

There was a PGA of Alberta rules official in my group, which was actually pretty fun. Was interesting to ask him random questions as we were playing about which penalties get assessed and what my options were at certain points.

colinxx235
05-10-2017, 04:47 PM

Again I hit a monster 5iron as my friend said 'there's no way you can hit the green from here' even though I wasn't sure. Well, I hit and landed on the green for eagle attempt while the group ahead was putting. I drove up and apologized immediately/my friend took the blame and they were cool about it.:nut:

Do you use GPS, Laser or saw any markers around?
If I see a guy Iron onto the green I typically don't get too happy. if its a blade and runs 80 yards up the fairway onto it that might be a different story. Not to mention I wouldn't usually let friends advise on if you can't get somewhere, should probably have a rough idea of how far you hit the ball (assuming struck well) and play for that.
I also don't get pissy if someone crushes a 330+ drive and the ball finds its way to the green.

Dumbass17
05-11-2017, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235

Do you use GPS, Laser or saw any markers around?
If I see a guy Iron onto the green I typically don't get too happy. if its a blade and runs 80 yards up the fairway onto it that might be a different story. Not to mention I wouldn't usually let friends advise on if you can't get somewhere, should probably have a rough idea of how far you hit the ball (assuming struck well) and play for that.
I also don't get pissy if someone crushes a 330+ drive and the ball finds its way to the green.
Don't use GPS or range finder.
There was a 150y rock marker and I was about 220y out. I used a 5 iron (can't hit 3/4 irons nicely) and struck it well. This is not a typical 5 iron shot for me. And yeah, sorry, I hit just outside the green and rolled on. The guys were fine and just said "no worries, i hope that was your second shot and you're putting for eagle". Like I said, I drove our cart right up to the guys (leaving my friends ball behind) just to apologize and then went back to continue play.
On another note, I've seen two fist fights at McCall on the 9th/ 18th on two separate occasions while I'm teeing off on #1 haha

npham
05-13-2017, 07:17 PM
Is it me, or has this spring been windy as fuck? I don't recall the last couple of years being so windy. I played ok Thursday night/Friday but only because my putting has been on point. Golf is so much easier when you 2 putt from 30-40 feet away. I made a ton of good two putts Friday to shoot 81. Driving is so hit or miss, either it's middle of the fairway and long or clipping trees and I need to punch out.

FullFledgedYYC
05-15-2017, 01:37 PM
Is it me, or has this spring been windy as fuck? I don't recall the last couple of years being so windy.

Where are you playing? At Willow I never experience wind... but every single time I have played Country Hills a "non windy day" is like the absolute worst you will ever have at Willow.

lasimmon
05-15-2017, 02:22 PM
Is it me, or has this spring been windy as fuck? I don't recall the last couple of years being so windy. I played ok Thursday night/Friday but only because my putting has been on point. Golf is so much easier when you 2 putt from 30-40 feet away. I made a ton of good two putts Friday to shoot 81. Driving is so hit or miss, either it's middle of the fairway and long or clipping trees and I need to punch out.

Haven't had issues my last few rounds.

colinxx235
05-15-2017, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC

Where are you playing? At Willow I never experience wind... but every single time I have played Country Hills a "non windy day" is like the absolute worst you will ever have at Willow.

Nam and I play at Elbow Springs all the time. I'd say maybe 1 of 8 rounds this year has been perfectly calm. About 1-2 more not too bad. And then a few holy fuck, hold onto your hat and be prepared for the eyes to tear up.

And thats when you see a 6 iron go 150 yards into the wind :rofl:

bjstare
05-15-2017, 08:16 PM
Played my 5th round of the week yesterday. Every other round was <90, went and fired a goddamn 97.

What a stupid game this is.

npham
05-15-2017, 11:51 PM
Played my 5th round of the week yesterday. Every other round was &lt;90, went and fired a goddamn 97.

What a stupid game this is. It's all because you said that your driving was good the other day huh? What happened?

bjstare
05-16-2017, 12:25 AM
It's all because you said that your driving was good the other day huh? What happened?

Actually I was still driving the ball OK. Most of the strokes I lost were due to bad iron shots, which I haven't had a problem with in quite some time. Didn't hit a single green on Par 3s, whereas previous rounds I didn't miss any (or was on the fringe). :banghead:

Dumbass17
05-16-2017, 08:59 AM
Played my 5th round of the week yesterday. Every other round was &lt;90, went and fired a goddamn 97.

What a stupid game this is.
I feel your pain. I had the worst game I've had in 3 years recently. 53 and 57. What in the actual flying fuck.
Last year I was mid 40s consistently and happy. Now this crap.

SkiBum5.0
05-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Playing the Old Course tomorrow. Probably not going to sleep tonight

npham
05-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
Playing the Old Course tomorrow. Probably not going to sleep tonight That's wicked, didn't know Wolf Creek was open...lol

What's the green fee and wait time like to get a tee time?

lasimmon
05-17-2017, 01:15 PM
Was supposed to play Water Valley on friday... Snowed there today. I guess we shall see if it melts tomorrow.

SkiBum5.0
05-18-2017, 08:05 AM
That's wicked, didn't know Wolf Creek was open...lol

What's the green fee and wait time like to get a tee time?

I was going to enter the ballot 48hrs prior, but I couldn't get a second person so I arrived at 5am and waited for a 2 or 3some.

140 pounds was the green fee I think

lasimmon
05-18-2017, 09:00 AM
My dad played the old course last week I believe. He is over there playing a bunch of courses.

oster
05-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Any opinions on Blue Devil?

colinxx235
05-18-2017, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by oster
Any opinions on Blue Devil?

way overpriced, tons of better options in that end of the city for that price

lasimmon
05-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

way overpriced, tons of better options in that end of the city for that price

Seconded

npham
05-20-2017, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by oster
Any opinions on Blue Devil? Easy course, you can hit it off the planet and still find your ball. The greens are really nice typically, some of the best in Calgary. But the other guys are right, the value is terrible there. The layout is boring but it's usually in great condition.

SOAB
05-23-2017, 09:20 AM
played Brooks golf course this weekend while out camping. decent conditions but man, i was having issues.

first 7 holes went ok. only 5 over after 7 holes which i'm ok with.

but at the 8th hole, the 2-some in front of us asked if my friend and I wanted to join them so of course we said yes. that is when my game fell apart. couldn't get off the tee, started to hook my shots.

i swear, i have a mental issue when playing with strangers for some reason. i just cannot strike the ball very well and i don't know why!

it happens every time and I can't seem to stop it. :banghead:

trieu
05-23-2017, 11:33 PM
Has anyone used any of the GPS apps available for the Apple watch? or is it better to just buy a regular golf watch/range finder?