PDA

View Full Version : Washer / Dryer move to unfinished basement?

nzwasp
01-27-2017, 09:38 AM
My wife and I would like to put our washer and dryer in the area of our unfinished basement where the bathroom will likely be. Has anyone done this before.

Thaco
01-27-2017, 09:40 AM
dont see why not?... your biggest obstacle will likely be an exhaust vent, plumbing should be pretty easy in an unfinished, and if its going where a bathroom will be, i would hope the drain pipe is already there

Things you need to consider:
Dryer Exhaust
Washer water supply
Washer Drainage
Dryer power

Kloubek
01-27-2017, 09:41 AM
What's the actual question here?

...whether or not you can set up a washer and dryer in an unfinished basement? Yes.

...whether anyone on here has actually put their washer and dryer in their unfinished basement before? Yes.

If you don't already have hookups and a drain, just be really careful to draw up your whole floorplan to ensure you are putting them in the right place.

nzwasp
01-27-2017, 10:06 AM
im presuming that i would have to put in walls? because the power is probably against code to put in hanging from ceiling. also our drain seems to stick about 3 inches above the concrete floor. so im guessing i would lose a bit of height by raising the floor.

Darell_n
01-27-2017, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
im presuming that i would have to put in walls? because the power is probably against code to put in hanging from ceiling. also our drain seems to stick about 3 inches above the concrete floor. so im guessing i would lose a bit of height by raising the floor.

Uh, it's much easier to shorten a plastic pipe than raise the floor.

Thaco
01-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n

Uh, it's much easier to shorten a plastic pipe than raise the floor. or just run the hose in to the drain... my washer drain is like 3 feet up... no need to have it flush with the floor..

The wall doesn't need to be finished to have the electrical in place. There are codes, but a finished wall isn't one of them.

silvercivicsir
01-27-2017, 03:24 PM
getting 220V over there might be expensive

nzwasp
01-27-2017, 03:33 PM
Is that what I need. Well the electrical panel for the house is like 20feet away.

AndyL
01-27-2017, 04:29 PM
There's probably already a rough in for it in the basement. Most houses with them upstairs have an alternate plan for the basement.

You don't need to build a wall for an outlet - often it's just a hunk of plywood anchored to the wall and the electrical box mounted to it. Adding the water taps is probably the worst part - but yeah, realize you'll be pulling at least 2 permits.

There's probably a floor drain by your water heater, so basement bathroom won't be only possibility.

jeffh
01-27-2017, 05:36 PM
You'll need a 4" round wall vent for the dryer exhaust. It should only have a back draft damper on the outlet(no mesh). Then when you install bath fan, replace the wall vent with one that has the mesh(critter blockers). Insulate the pipe the entire way to the appliance/fan or at least 10'. Ensure, exhaust outlet is away from fresh air intake, operable windows, etc.

roopi
01-27-2017, 05:51 PM
Where is your washer/dryer currently?

Kloubek
01-27-2017, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by jeffh
You'll need a 4" round wall vent for the dryer exhaust.

...while being aware that lengths that are too long require some sort of inline booster.

nzwasp
01-27-2017, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by roopi
Where is your washer/dryer currently?

It's on the main floor next to the garage entrance door

Tik-Tok
01-27-2017, 06:27 PM
Is that what I need. Well the electrical panel for the house is like 20feet away.

edit; oops, that's an older plug, won't work for you.

Thaco
01-27-2017, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

...while being aware that lengths that are too long require some sort of inline booster. why would you need a booster for an electric dryer?
the only reason dryers are even vented is from back when they were gas, and to get rid of small particles in the air that dont get captured by the lint trap, in many parts of the world they dont even vent outside, they just use a dryer box and actually recycle the heat for heating their houses, they're not wasteful like us.

http://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/d601a8bc012d3f8b_4-9885/contemporary-range-hoods-and-vents.jpg

danno
01-27-2017, 06:56 PM
I'm doing the same thing in my house I just bought. The basement is finished but it's next to the furnace room. Electrical isn't my concern it's the drain, hopefully it's easily done.

nzwasp
01-27-2017, 07:46 PM
Yeah I'm not sure how the shower, toilet and washing machine all use the same bathroom drain in the basement