PDA

View Full Version : What kind of speaker is better?

NV_JSmith
03-21-2004, 09:29 AM
I have a 91 240sx with 4x6 stock speakers all around, should i go with Plate speakers or regular speakers? which is better the plate speakers i want have built in crossovers or regular oval speakers? Leave a couple of good 4x6 speakers that are good priced too.

sxtasy
03-21-2004, 10:35 AM
plate speakers will probably be better since you will have a seperate mid and tweeter. I have yet to hear a good sounding 4 x 6

NV_JSmith
03-21-2004, 10:41 AM
thanks, thats what i was guessing, but i can't fit anything but 4x6 in the front. unless there is some kind of kit for me to throw on for some 6x9's, is there?

EK 2.0
03-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by NV_JSmith
thanks, thats what i was guessing, but i can't fit anything but 4x6 in the front. unless there is some kind of kit for me to throw on for some 6x9's, is there?

You can cut, to make the spot bigger for a 6x9, but get a set of components, I am sure they will sound a lot better, they do in my DSM

*EDIT*...oh yeah, I love my INFINITY's...Kappa Series...

Chadxton
03-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Chuck those oval speakers. They're evil.

Get some custom mount work done and put in whatever speaker you want. Don't get 6x9's. I have a friend with a 92 240SX and he'll be making kickpod enclosures for them In any case, depending on what you want to spend, I'd suggest custom mounting of 5¼ or 6½ coax or component speaker sets.

NV_JSmith
03-22-2004, 06:58 PM
any ideas about 4" round speakers? i've found a set of infinity component speakers and kit to fit 4x6. their like 120 a pair tho.

NV_JSmith
03-22-2004, 06:59 PM
lemme make that a little more clear, i found a set of 4" component speakers and a 4x6 to 4" round kit.

Big_C_racing
03-22-2004, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't discount those 4x6 speaks so fast...I have a pair of MB Quart discus series 4x6's and they sound awesome. Definitly not a bass speaker but high quality mids and highs. And as for 4" speakers....4x6's sound quite a bit better. 4" speaks tend to only put out highs. Really depends on what you are running in the back.

Chadxton
03-23-2004, 11:14 AM
^That's because it's MB Quart. Even though it's their base line.

Go to a store that sells reputable equipment. Listen to what they have and let your ears choose what you like best.

EK 2.0
03-23-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Chadxton
^That's because it's MB Quart. Even though it's their base line.

Go to a store that sells reputable equipment. Listen to what they have and let your ears choose what you like best.

I used to sell Car Audio, and as much as they try to make sound rooms acoustically perfect, how they sound in the sotre vs. your ride will always vary from car to car...Look on 240 based forums see what other 240 owners have good expriences with, and go from there...

Chadxton
03-23-2004, 12:37 PM
^Yes, that's partially true. In car vs on display do vary greatly.

That's not to say it can't be overcome once it's in car. Remember, the install is where it matters most, and most issues can be remedied by that.

EK 2.0
03-23-2004, 02:17 PM
^Yes, that's partially true. In car vs on display do vary greatly.

That's not to say it can't be overcome once it's in car. Remember, the install is where it matters most, and most issues can be remedied by that.

Not only install, but if you are running MB Quartz, or Kappa Infinity's, or Polks, or any upper mid to higher brand speaker off of your 150 dollar CD Deck, then it is really not going to sound hot...You will need an amp to perfect sound, and placement...

Before you start buying audio components, and I used to tell this to ALL my clients, fingure out what you wanna do...Do you wanna blow away the grandmother at the bus stop cause your 4 15 inch Solobarics are giving her an enema, or do you want to listen to Beethoven and make die hard audiophiles bow down before you, for your clarity, and clean sound??

If you have any questions though, feel free to post them here or PM me man ok??...

Chadxton
03-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Well, I personally don't consider Quarts to be as 'high end' anymore. Much less Infinity or Polks. Deck power has also been erased from my vocabulary. This will be the only time I'm mentioning it. :D

Anyways, enough of stealing this thread.

NV_JSmith
03-23-2004, 09:18 PM
I'm only looking for mid bass and highs any waze for the 4x6 or 4", I've figured out a way to keep a stock look with hidden component speakers in my car. Its as custom as can be cause its my origonal thoughts, I've looked for similar items and the closest i can find is someone putting a 10" woofer in a S14. I thought of the idea before i saw the 10" sub. I've chosen a custom box to fit 2 - 15" solobarics (BASS), rack for 2 amps and a cap(one for subs one for front and hidden,) 2 - 4x6 infinity (mid bass N highs), and 2 - 6.5 component with tweeters (mid bass N highs also hidden!)

The only problem is I'm not sure if the deep bass from the 2 - 15"s are going to drown out the midbass. I'm sure the tweeters will kick out enough highs as long as i place them properly. Any ideas on what i should set all of my frequencies to?

EK 2.0
03-23-2004, 09:24 PM
You have to set them when everything is in your car man...thats the only way to know for sure that whatever your settings are they work for you...cause like I said earlier...

Even a 240 from another 240 will have different acoustics...

Chadxton
03-24-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
Even a 240 from another 240 will have different acoustics...
Riiiiiiiiight...

Maybe from coupe to hatch, but not hatch to hatch. If that actually were true, I'd begin to believe that Nissan would have a serious problem with their QC and build tolerances from car to car.

Really, think about it. If it's all the same tight build tolerances and materials from car to car, why would there be a difference?

EK 2.0
03-24-2004, 12:50 AM

Riiiiiiiiight...

Maybe from coupe to hatch, but not hatch to hatch. If that actually were true, I'd begin to believe that Nissan would have a serious problem with their QC and build tolerances from car to car.

Really, think about it. If it's all the same tight build tolerances and materials from car to car, why would there be a difference?

Because over time, things do breakdown, rubber seals, pockets for speakers, seals around the sunroof if applicable, and all these lil factors can add up to large air movement differences...

Chadxton
03-24-2004, 01:04 AM
Yeah, ok. Little stuff. When you do a proper install, things are reinforced and deadened to withstand the sound pressure. Solutions for each problem.

NV_JSmith, the best way to get midbass up front is to slap a 6.5 component set in there, and seal the door up the best way you can. A 4" will do little justice for midbass. Yes, custom work may be needed, but as the saying goes, buy the best - cry once. :)

If you beef up your ground, you can skip the capacitor. Actually, just don't use one. I have currently about 1kW RMS with my setup with a 90 amp alternator and zero headlight dim when I have need to crank the knob. Why? Good ground is what keeps headlights from dimming, not caps.

Def_3
03-24-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Big_C_racing
I wouldn't discount those 4x6 speaks so fast...I have a pair of MB Quart discus series 4x6's and they sound awesome. Definitly not a bass speaker but high quality mids and highs. And as for 4" speakers....4x6's sound quite a bit better. 4" speaks tend to only put out highs. Really depends on what you are running in the back. :werd: :werd: couldnt have said it better myself

NV_JSmith
03-24-2004, 04:21 PM
About how think is ur ground cable? 4 guage good enough? My midbass is going to be right behind the seats angled at about 15 degrees toward the front, may be more of a slant after install just trying stuff out first. I'll be running all the cable soon. I'm pretty sure the sound quality will be close to the SPL after i'm done. Anyone know somewhere that custom T Tops, i want them installed on my car, My brother knows somewhere in florida (where he lives now) that will drop T tops in for a little over a grand. I'll put my roll cage in after i get those installed. the T's are so hott:love: :love:

Chadxton
03-24-2004, 04:52 PM
8 gauge is good enough for up to 60 amps. 4 gauge - 125. Depends on the length of the run. What amps do you plan on using?

If you're going to want loud bass, I will strongly suggest using good powerful amps for your speakers up front to accommodate the amount of bass.