PDA

View Full Version : TV Installation

Qeeb
02-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Hey Beyond.

Looking for some suggestions as I need to get 3 TV's mounted in my house. I've already got everything purchased and ready to go.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Mitsu3000gt
02-01-2017, 11:08 AM
It's extremely easy to do it yourself - if you have everything you need already you could easily do all 3 in an afternoon or evening.

Measure, make sure you hit the studs for the mount, and that's about all there is to it. A lot of them even come with a wall template now to mark the holes.

Qeeb
02-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
It's extremely easy to do it yourself - if you have everything you need already you could easily do all 3 in an afternoon or evening.

Measure, make sure you hit the studs for the mount, and that's about all there is to it. A lot of them even come with a wall template now to mark the holes.

I would love to learn and give it a shot on my own. I'm just not confident in my ability - and it's a brand new house so I'm worried that I would mess it up :(

ganesh
02-01-2017, 11:29 AM
just like Mitsu said it is pretty easy if you have all the tools.

Mitsu3000gt
02-01-2017, 11:33 AM
Try one in the least important area.

Find the studs, measure or use the included template, pre-drill, level it, bolt it, and off you go. All you're doing is putting a flat plate on the wall, the TV just hooks on after the fact and requires zero talent whatsoever.

If you still found it too difficult, then pay someone to do the other two.

Unless you destroy your entire wall, any mistakes you make will be covered up by the TV and/or mount anyway. The only work required is measuring, and securing a flat plate to the wall with 4-8 screws/bolts. The other part of the mount screws onto the back of the TV with preexisting holes found on every TV in 1 minute, and then you just hang it. You don't even need a second person to help unless the TV is huge.

You could try PM Spikers, I believe he does odd jobs like this for reasonable prices. You will probably regret paying anyone to do it after you see how simple it is and how little time it takes though. If you have a drill, a ratchet, a pencil, and a level you're pretty much good to go.

The only time it gets more difficult is if you're drilling into masonry or something like that.

eblend
02-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Super simple to do, but if you still looking for someone, I can do it, $100 a pop haha :)

jwslam
02-01-2017, 12:31 PM
The harder part is probably cable management if you're interested in making it look good by hiding all your AV cables in the wall and pulling up another outlet to sit behind the TV

I'm still debating whether I wanna tackle that myself. I've got the mount up and would be more than willing to help you do it for just a couple beers and some pizza =)

spikerS
02-01-2017, 01:14 PM
I have done this many times. let me know if you need a hand.

Qeeb
02-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Thanks to everyone who contributed with information and offered to assist me with this. Another reason why Beyond is the best.

Special thanks to eblend, jwslam and spikerS who offered their own personal time.

I've managed to find a company to come in and do it at a reasonable rate. I'll update the thread with pictures and pricing once done.

And of course I'm going to watch like a hawk so I can see just how easy it is...

Cheers,
Qeeb

R!zz0
02-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Pics? Curious to see what it looks like :)

Qeeb
02-09-2017, 01:50 PM
I didn't know how to embed so check out the links below. Apologies for the poor photograph quality and messy house! Still a work in progress.

http://imgur.com/jrkKz6r
Sony 40" located in the master

http://imgur.com/wCYIRUA
Samsung 75" in the downstairs lounge/theatre area

http://imgur.com/fZTjmob
Samsung 50" in the family room

mr2mike
02-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Qeeb

And of course I'm going to watch like a hawk so I can see just how easy it is...

And???

Thaco
02-09-2017, 02:00 PM
hope its just the camera angle but that 75 doesn't look centered on the cabinet below, my OCD would kill me.

mr2mike
02-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Tape measure time. Should he enough play on stand to move it side to side.

Thaco
02-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Tape measure time. Should he enough play on stand to move it side to side. haha yeah there's lots of room for adjustment, just razzin' him... and also wondering why a company wouldn't make the effort to make it look professional, wouldn't have taken much effort.

Mitsu3000gt
02-09-2017, 02:15 PM
Looking good! Should have gone the projector route in the basement though :poosie: Could have got 100-110" screen easy on that wall and a good projector for less money :D

It also looks off center to my eye, unless the media cabinet does not stretch the length of the room, and the TV is centered on the wall rather than to the cabinet. I would measure that haha - probably just need to slide it over on the rail.

Qeeb
02-09-2017, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

And???

I think I would be able to do it next time. But I also realized I don't even have half the tools that the guy had, so I would need to borrow/invest in a set of good tools to get the job done.

A large part of it is my overall lack of confidence when it comes to anything 'handyman' related around the house. Apart from changing the lightbulb, it's just this fear I have of making things worse or screwing it up.

But I guess at some point, I'll have to give it a go!

Qeeb
02-09-2017, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
hope its just the camera angle but that 75 doesn't look centered on the cabinet below, my OCD would kill me.

Good catch. The width of the entire wall is 201". I adjusted it (slid it over a wee bit) to have it centered.