PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if a used car is a fair price?

Sonic
02-10-2017, 08:56 PM
Curious to know what beyonders use to determine what a fair price for a used car is...

I've always used vmrcanada and if the price is around the wholesale price i know I'm getting a decent deal... But sometimes I feel their quote is way off, same with CBB online...

What do you guys use? Do you just go on Kijiji and see what other are asking? What if it's a rare vehicle? This method works great for houses cuz you can find it what they actually sell for but how do you know how much cars are actually selling for?

kvg
02-10-2017, 09:03 PM
I look at book value and kijiji

NoPulp
02-10-2017, 09:08 PM
I compare on kijiji and autotrader for ballpark. Then it's up to me based on preferences and condition. I don't like book value unless the car is fairly new.

If it's rare, then it depends how bad I want it. Appraisals can be a good place to start, but never pay full price.

J-hop
02-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Depends how old. Book value for a 10 year old car doesn't mean much, so I'd go to kijiji at that point. There are also local market factors that book value doesn't account for.

craigcd
02-10-2017, 09:26 PM
I am pretty picky on buying new(used) vehicles so once i decide what I want typically watch kijiji for weeks/months until the exact vehicle comes along. Pretty soon you know what is good and what is bad and you are on top of exactly what is on kijiji and when something new pops up vs a repost.

This can be a bit tougher with super common vehicles like Civics but once you narrow down your search it is doable.

Last truck took me 4 months and a trip to Regina.....

Original owner
Low km
Service records
Stock

ExtraSlow
02-10-2017, 09:40 PM
If it sells, it's a fair price. If you'd kick yourself for not buying it, then it's a fair price.

max_boost
02-10-2017, 09:57 PM
^^
lol well yes.

Interesting. that VMR site's value is about 15% lower than the black book value website. If I listed for the VMR price I think my car would be gone in a day lol :nut:

Rocket1k78
02-11-2017, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
Depends how old. Book value for a 10 year old car doesn't mean much, so I'd go to kijiji at that point. There are also local market factors that book value doesn't account for.

:werd: Kijiji is probably the best way to gauge what its worth imo.

Sonic
02-11-2017, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions :thumbsup:

ragu
02-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Most of the stuff that you see on kijiji has been sitting for weeks only to get reposted. As a seller you should be prepared to deal with buyers who 1. don't have money 2. spend time looking at cars 3. low ball you 4. 1 in 5 who call you will actually show up.

I've always priced it aggressively and its generally gone within a day or so. Use VMR and price it in between wholesale and retail. See what kinda response you get and go from there.

Redlyne_mr2
02-11-2017, 11:13 PM
vmr is useless

Kijiji... search year make model trim , price lowest to highest, compare.

ricosuave
02-12-2017, 04:24 PM
^ Redlyne_mr2, clear your inbox!!

Sonic
02-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Redline.... There is always huge markup between retail and private... Do you suggest ignoring dealer ads?

G-ZUS
02-13-2017, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by ragu
Most of the stuff that you see on kijiji has been sitting for weeks only to get reposted. As a seller you should be prepared to deal with buyers who 1. don't have money 2. spend time looking at cars 3. low ball you 4. 1 in 5 who call you will actually show up.

I've always priced it aggressively and its generally gone within a day or so. Use VMR and price it in between wholesale and retail. See what kinda response you get and go from there.

:rofl: I had one guy try to hustle me over the firm on a already well-priced vehicle I was selling. Told him the price is firm as I was getting non-stop calls on it. He said 'you should take down the ad, I will come in the morning first thing with cash". Never heard back from him

schocker
02-13-2017, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
vmr is useless

Kijiji... search year make model trim , price lowest to highest, compare.
Yup. Had people offer me what VMR said before and I told them to f off. I check kijiji and canada trader to see what the ball park is as that is market value.

Hallowed_point
02-13-2017, 09:38 AM
Kijiji high to low. Ignore dealer ads as the price is padded of course to cover expenses/profit. I'd also say stick to your province, although sometimes I'll check BC/Sask.

Sonic
02-20-2017, 01:17 PM
Okay, I posted my G37X here for a few days with no response other than from a scammer.... Am I pricing it too high? It's tough because there's not a lot comparables especially in the private market.... I've yet to post on Kijiji because I hate dealing with people on there.

J-hop
02-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Sonic
Okay, I posted my G37X here for a few days with no response other than from a scammer.... Am I pricing it too high? It's tough because there's not a lot comparables especially in the private market.... I've yet to post on Kijiji because I hate dealing with people on there.

Can you link your ad please?

max_boost
02-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Give it more time 1-2 weeks and see. Not everyone checks marketplace right away. I have sold all my cars through beyond so I am not bothering with trader or kijiji anymore.

redblack
02-20-2017, 02:02 PM
A updated carproof and inspection report goes a long way

max_boost
02-20-2017, 02:38 PM
First time a buyer wanted an inspection on a car im selling so I took a deposit to pay for it.

relyt92
02-20-2017, 03:21 PM
Okay, I posted my G37X here for a few days with no response other than from a scammer.... Am I pricing it too high? It's tough because there's not a lot comparables especially in the private market.... I've yet to post on Kijiji because I hate dealing with people on there. I think it's priced fine, just not getting enough exposure here. Put it up on Autotrader if you don't want to deal with Kijiji right away. It's a lot of car for the money, people just aren't seeing it.

Sonic
02-20-2017, 03:42 PM
Thanks...ya I realize it's kind of a niche car right now with the custom exhaust, I've thought about buying a stock exhaust back to put on so I don't exclude a large segment of potential buyers. I'm not in a rush to sell right now so I'll wait a bit longer before lowering price and posting on Kijiji.. Thanks again for the advice folks!

Rely... Just saw you have one too, ya it's such an awesome car, maybe this is a sign that I should just shut up and keep it, at some point I want to upgrade to a Q50 though...

acedia
02-20-2017, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by ragu

Yes but think about all the money you can make selling it to people who want to make $200 a month payments on your used car.

1. Sell and take $200 monthly payments.
2. Hope buyer doesn't wreck car or lose job or decide to move.
3. Profit. Hopefully.

ha ha ha

Oh man I had 2 of these guys for every legit buyer when I sold my truck... :banghead:

max_boost
02-20-2017, 04:49 PM
Sonic, Are you getting something new? Consider trading it in?

relyt92
02-20-2017, 06:21 PM

Rely... Just saw you have one too, ya it's such an awesome car, maybe this is a sign that I should just shut up and keep it, at some point I want to upgrade to a Q50 though... My G is the longest I've owned a car without seriously looking at getting something else. Anytime I've thought about going to something else nothing is as nice as an overall package without being way more money. AWD, enough luxury and 330 fairly reliable hp. Not much comes close without upping the budget a lot.

Rocket1k78
02-21-2017, 11:56 AM

Kijiji is a necessary evil, by not using kijiji you just took away the majority of potential buyers. When i sell anything of high value i put in the ad "reply with phone number or else i wont reply back" and that helps a bit with weeding out the scammers and dead beats. You will 100% get a shit load of stupid offers but imo its worth it.

Redlyne_mr2
02-22-2017, 09:56 PM
Not to jinx your sale but I find Infinitis very hard to resell, perhaps because there are a lot out there? You really have to be priced aggressively to move them.

Sonic
02-26-2017, 05:24 PM
Redlyne, hmmm interesting, why is that?

Lower reputation than Lexus and Acura? All other buyers go German?

Neb
03-16-2017, 03:28 PM
I also use Kijiji.

The search filter is really good (along the left-hand side of the page).

I plug in the parameters that most closely match the vehicle that's listed and then compare about four or five others of the same type/year.

I then average them and that's pretty much what I expect to pay.

The rest is down to inspection and spotting any nasties like fluid drips under the vehicle or odd noises when test driving it.