PDA

View Full Version : home security system- Wireless camera

sansglee
02-11-2017, 02:38 PM
I am looking to setup my own home security system with motion sensor enabled wireless camera. Does anybody have setup their own? any recommendations on the security camera brands and models ?

There are few online which is plug and play, not sure how good they are

Boat
02-11-2017, 03:02 PM
I have the iSmartAlarm system and it's o.k. The wireless cams doesn't really integrate well with door sensors and the like. We also have a cat so the shitty kitty sets off the cams prettt easily . My friend has some nest cams and albeit expensive the app is really nice and you can scroll through the motion detection history on the app which is pretty neat.

TomcoPDR
02-11-2017, 03:38 PM
I like Lorex by Flir stuff https://www.lorextechnology.com/

CaptainReboot
02-12-2017, 05:36 PM
I have 4 Amcrest cameras in and round my house. They work well with my QNAP NAS and their Surveillance Station software.

I have them setup to record to the NAS when there is motion as well as send me an email with a screenshot of the motion. Their app will also send you an alert.

flipstah
02-12-2017, 10:53 PM
Anywhere to buy locally? We have Swann and they're terrible.

CaptainReboot
02-15-2017, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Anywhere to buy locally? We have Swann and they're terrible.

If you are talking about the Amcrest, I didn't find anywhere local, I got them through Amazon

Thaco
02-15-2017, 09:47 AM
I haven't had any luck with wireless, they are spotty at best, and you have to run power for them anyway, so you may as well just run POE

i run this cam on POE, its been solid
https://www.amazon.ca/Hikvision-Megapixel-Weatherproof-Security-Ds-2cd2532f/dp/B00RCGO3PS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487173676&sr=8-1&keywords=ds-2cd2532f-is

i use my PC as my server, running blue iris software recording to my local array, but it is pretty resource intensive, if i had more than 2-3 cams i'd buy a dedicated DVR

CaptainReboot
02-15-2017, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
I haven't had any luck with wireless, they are spotty at best, and you have to run power for them anyway, so you may as well just run POE

i run this cam on POE, its been solid
https://www.amazon.ca/Hikvision-Megapixel-Weatherproof-Security-Ds-2cd2532f/dp/B00RCGO3PS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487173676&sr=8-1&keywords=ds-2cd2532f-is

i use my PC as my server, running blue iris software recording to my local array, but it is pretty resource intensive, if i had more than 2-3 cams i'd buy a dedicated DVR

I agree. WiFi security cameras are unstable. I have two of them and their latency is horrible sometimes. I'm getting 3000+ ms response times. Not sure if there are other factors involved, but there is only one exterior wall that's in the way. I had a 3rd wireless camera, but I ended up using a powerline ethernet adapter on that and it performs great, no more lag. I had to run power inside the house on that one, so it was an easy option, but I can't do that with the other one.

The Surveillance Station software works great. I really like how it organizes all the recordings, plus I can have it auto delete older ones after a certain number of days. I already had a NAS so it made sense to just use that, otherwise I would have looked at Blue Iris.