PDA

View Full Version : Downshifting

Blue Devil
10-01-2002, 04:28 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but someone please explain the effects of downshifting?? Is it good/bad/recommended??? does it damage things???

rage2
10-01-2002, 04:34 PM
You downshift to get the engine to operate within it's powerband when slowing down. If you don't downshift when slowing down, your engine will be lugging at idle, no power for acceleration etc.

Blue Devil
10-01-2002, 04:35 PM
ok, but is downshifting bad when you want to slow down in a hurry?

LaughingTiger
10-01-2002, 05:09 PM
When you down shift your just driving..... You won't hurt anything
as long as you stay under red line...

OPGForce
10-01-2002, 05:18 PM
downshifting will wear out your clutch&tranny a little, but ur brakes will last longer. also, it is safer to downshift when coming to a complete stop because u might need to do a quick maneuver, and if ur in the wrong gear(i.e. 4th instead of 2nd), u will have “NO” power to avoid trouble. also, downshifting helps in the winter when u need to stop in a hurry instead of pumping/locking the brakes or using ABS.

three.eighteen.
10-01-2002, 08:54 PM
when stopping i usually leave in neutral, when cornering on offramps and stuff i'll downshift...

Speed_RaSiR
10-02-2002, 08:27 AM
You should always downshift, think about an automatic, it does it for you. ALWAYS DOWNSHIFT, the car is made for it, it wont heart anything.

van
10-02-2002, 01:24 PM
I neutral then brake too.

I don't know, I just learned how to drive standard :rofl: :rofl:

Woodson
10-04-2002, 11:21 AM
The purpose of downshifting is not to help you brake. It's so you are in the correct gear for when you are ready to accelerate again. This is best done while rev-matching and, ideally, heel and toeing.

RCBVtec
10-04-2002, 11:29 AM
I always down shift, sometimes I double clutch to make things smoother - yes I know this will wear out the clutch faster but it sounds wicked :thumbsup:

ls/vtec-crx
10-04-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Woodson
The purpose of downshifting is not to help you brake. It's so you are in the correct gear for when you are ready to accelerate again. This is best done while rev-matching and, ideally, heel and toeing.

That's what i do and when people drive with me for the first time their like how do you do that and then they want to learn how to do it.

The down shifting procedure with rev-matching is great for breaking-in new clutches, motors, and new re-built trannies.

HEEL AND TOEING IS GREAT if you know how to do it.